Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 23, 2008 9:37 AM

Poll time

The Pac-10 media poll will be out by this time tomorrow, so time for me to unveil mine --- as well as provide a space for you to present yours, as well.

In fact, one reader had a good idea after reading the link the other day from the Spokesman-Review, where Cougar fans almost unanimously had the Huskies last. He said I should solicit the views of UW fans to see how they think the Pac-10 will do, thinking Husky fans might see the league a little more fairly. So go ahead and give me yours below and I'll tally them up and provide a consensus.

As for my poll, faithfully submitted to the Pac-10 home office a few days ago, here it is:

1, USC --- Really just no other team makes sense to put here, boring as it is to pencil in the Trojans every season (though I'm told at least one person in the Pac-10 poll has voted for someone else). USC has some questions on offense, but the defense should be all-world, and that should be enough to win the Pac-10 again, though I envision another stumble somewhere along the way in conference play.

2, Oregon --- Sorry UW fans. But hey, I heard even Dave Mahler say he had put Oregon here in his poll the other day. The Ducks admittedly have a QB issue, but I don't think they have a lot of others. The RB spot should be just fine with the platoon of Jeremiah Johnson and LeGarrette Blount, the O-line will be one of the best in the conference as should the secondary, and the front seven should also be solid --- it's nothing but juniors and seniors who have all played a lot. And for those who say Oregon's offense fell apart last year after Dennis Dixon got hurt, I'll point out it scored 87 points in its last two games against two bowl games --- OSU and South Florida. This is a coaching staff that has shown it can adapt to its personnel well. I do see Oregon losing a few games --- I think there's a pretty big gap from USC to everyone else --- but assuming a QB is found who is at least serviceable, I don't see a huge dropff in the Ducks.

3, Arizona State --- My biggest trepidation in putting ASU here is the offensive line, which was bad last year and essentially loses four starters. But Dennis Erickson is also one of the best I've ever seen at adjusting to his personnel, and after getting an in-action view of this unit last season, I think he'll have done some things to make it better. Rudy Carpenter gives ASU the Pac-10's most experienced QB, the receivers are great, and the defense should also be pretty dynamic. Going to Cal and USC on consecutive weeks in October will tell the tale on the Devils.

4, Cal --- Sure, the Bears folded a bit at the end of last season --- though I'd resist a little bit the notion that they do it every year. But they also rallied to win their bowl game, and Jeff Tedford then made some pretty significant changes to his coaching staff after a disappointing 7-6 season. There do seem to be some holes here --- not a lot of experience at RB, none at all at WR, and while a lot of the defense is back, it wasn't very good last season. But injuries also played a role in what happened to Cal last season and the Bears have recruited well of late. The O-line could be dominating, to help make up for some of the offensive inexpererience, and the defense can't help but be better.

5, Arizona --- Here's where picking the Pac this year really gets challenging. I think Arizona could be picked anywhere from fourth to ninth. Arizona has tended to underperform the last few years,and has some significant holes to fill on defense. But the offense could be one of the best around after finally settling in late last season, and it was something of a hard-luck year for the Wildcats last season --- they lost four games by seven points or less, three by three points or less. The heat is on Mike Stoops, but he has the schedule to make it work, with Idaho, Toledo and at New Mexico to start, then games at UCLA, home to UW and at Stanford to begin Pac-10 play. A 6-0 record isn't out of the question and anything less than 4-2 and Stoops will be all but fired by mid-October. Here's thinking Arizona will finally get over the hump and save Stoops.

6, Oregon State --- The Beavers are another enigma, having lost a lot off of last year's team, but also with a track record of recent success. But a lot of the losses are on defense --- just three starters officially return. And one thing that gets lost is that OSU tends to rotate players quite a bit on defense, meaning a lot of the new guys have played quite a bit, particularly the linebackers. I know the feeling in Corvallis is that the dropoff won't be what everyone assumes on that side of the ball just because of the lack of starting experience. The offense was a struggle at times last year, but OSU returns seven starters from a unit that averaged 35 points in its last four games. Mike Riley always seems to figure out a way to keep the Beavers afloat.

7, Washington --- As a beat writer for a team, you sometimes worry that you are almost too close to the situation to make adequate comparisons with teams on the outside, one reason I like hearing the viewpoints from elsewhere. When things are going bad, for instance, you can forget everyone else has injuries or defections, as well. Conversely, when you hear about all the excitement over new players, it's easy to forget that everyone else thinks all of their new guys are really good, as well. So in trying to find a middle ground on the Huskies, I've settled here. The defense has to be better, and Jake Locker gives the Huskies a puncher's chance in every game they play. But the lack of experience at RB, WR and DL can't be ignored. I think the D-line is the biggest issue heading into the first few games as I can envision teams like Oregon just trying to ram it down UW's throat, a strategy that on paper would appear to work. Depth in a lot of spots also has to raise some concerns, and in 12-game college seasons, it's bound to come up. What happens if Locker gets hurt, even for a game or two? Or one or two more of the O-linemen? And the much-discussed schedule obviously won't make it easy to build early momentum. That said, I do like the O-line and the fact that Locker in year two should be a lot more consistent, and if the defense shows the expected improvement, a few more wins will come. But against that schedule, just hard to see enough to move UW much past this spot.

8, UCLA --- Certainly a new way for Rick Neuheisel to take over a college team. At Colorado and UW, he inherited fairly veteran teams and provided a complete change in approach that worked fabulously in the short term. He doesn't get that here as the Bruins officially have just nine returning starters and are battling personnel issues all over the place. One thing the Bruins have going for them will be the low expectations --- UCLA is often accused of underperforming, something that won't likely happen this year. And this is still UCLA, where the recruiting classes are always pretty good, meaning a lot of the new faces might turn out to be pretty good. The defensive front seven could be particularly good, and if the Bruins can find a running game, maybe the Bruins can turn into a ball-control type team. The key will be a three-game home stretch early featuring games against Arizona, Fresno State and WSU.

9, Stanford --- There are actually a lot of things I like about Stanford, particularly nine returning starters on a defense that quietly got a lot better as last year went on (with the stats sometimes not showing it due to an anemic offense that kept the defense on the field too long). Stanford could also have a pretty good O-line --- four players who have at least nine starts return. But the QB situation is uncertain, there aren't a lot of proven offensive playmakers, and this is still a team that needs to learn to win. Stanford could also be 0-2 in Pac-10 play before many teams even play one game, opening at home against Oregon State and then at ASU. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if Stanford finished higher than this.

10, Washington State --- The general word on the Cougars is pretty good front-line talent, maybe better than everyone thinks. But it's pretty scary after that, and with 13 games and just one bye, depth is bound to become an issue at some point. It's also hard to know how Paul Wulff's no-huddle offense will take in the Pac-10, though the early vibe on everything else Wulff-related seems pretty positive. You could make a case for picking WSU a little higher if the QB were proven. But he's not, so for now, the Cougars are looking up.

So there are my picks. Now give me yours and we'll add them up.

Later, I'll also compare how I picked them the last few years with how things actually turned out.

Posted by Reality Check

10:50 AM, Jul 23, 2008

First!

Hard to argue with that line up of picks, Bob.

I'll cheat and group them in tiers:

1) USC -- really going out on a limb here

2 - 4) ASU, whoregon, OSU -- I always seem to write off OSU before the year, but then Riley gets them playing better and better as the season progresses. A top 4 finish for OSU might be a stretch, but Riley always seems to surprise me with what he gets out of his players and team.

5 - 8) Arizona, Cal, Washington -- Stoops could be jobless after the year, Cal might be slipping from its run as a Pac10 powerhouse, and I'm being a homer for Washington. Washington has some exciting players (Locker, Elisara, and a bunch of other young guns... but they are very young and youth usually doesn't serve well at all. It could be a long campaign unless some guys really play above their heads at such a young age. Plus The U's defense was God awful last year. Even a quantum improvement would get them up to average at best. I think UW is going to have to win some pinball score type games this year -- 42 - 38 type stuff. But on the postiive side looking forward, they did lose a lot of close ones last year rather than blowouts. And if 3 close losses could be flipped to 3 close wins, then we're looking at a six or seven win season.)
9 - 10) Stanford and wazzu. -- Stanford proved they can play with anyone by beating USC. But they also had moments where they were dreadful. I think they could be improving, but they just don't look like a very good team on paper. wazzu looks to me like they could be at the beginning of a pretty rough stretch -- maybe something like UW is going through. I'm not sure they'll bottom out as bad as we have, but it wouldn't shock me to see wazzu win only 10 - 15 games over the next 3 years.

Posted by shane

10:55 AM, Jul 23, 2008

usc
asu
cal
UofO
wash
osu
ucla
zona
stanford
wazzu

Posted by Reality Check

10:56 AM, Jul 23, 2008

And in my biggest shocker of a pick, evidently UCLA gets booted from the conference.

I meant to put UCLA in that 5 - 8 grouping. slick rick finds a way to win games (prior to destroying a program.) But he's got major holes to fill - starting with QB. Even slicky R might have a hard time winning more than 6 or 7 games with this squad.

Posted by seaute

10:57 AM, Jul 23, 2008

3. Oregon
4. Cal
5. OSU
6. UW
7. UCLA
8. Arizona
9. WSU
10.Stanford

Posted by Patrick

11:00 AM, Jul 23, 2008

Bob:

In addition to looking at the rosters, I looked at the order of games. When are the bye's? Who does a team play the week prior? And, home games.
Given that, I basically agree with your order based on supposed strength. But, based on schedule, some teams are going to get beaten up, one of them being the UW. Therefore, honestly, I cannot place the UW quite as high as you did.
Oregon State is also a question mark as is Arizona State. And, Arizona? Those questions will be answered as the season goes by.

Posted by pdxdawg

11:01 AM, Jul 23, 2008

NO time to explain my reasoning, but wanted to put my two cents in anyway
USC
Arizona
Cal
ASU
Oreon
Washington
UCLA
OSU
Stanford
WSU
BTW, I just gave a detailed reasoning as to why I put each team where, but got ANOTHER SUBMISSION ERROR MESSASGE and lost it all. The catchpa is SOOOO frustrating Bob!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Murray

5. Washington
6. Oregon State
7. Arizona
8. UCLA
9. Stanford
10.Wazzu

USC - Another Pac-10 championship for the NFLers of Southern Cal. They are just too fast, too big, and too talented to not win it. The only question mark in the offseason is new quarterback Mark Sanchez. However, when Sanchez was a redshirt freshman he was battling John David Booty for the starting position before an arrest for sexual assault forced him into the role of backup due to a team suspension. They will be really good and could contend for a BCS Championship. The game against The Ohio State in LA could be the most hyped game of the season. Their defense as always has NFL first rounders everywhere led by Maualuga, Mays, and Moala.

ASU - The fight for second in the Pac is going to be fun to watch this year. ASU will be an interesting team to see with the return of so many offensive weapons and a fairly decent defense. Question with this team: will they be able to protect Carpenter?

Cal - Too much pride to put the Ducks 3rd. Not confident in this pick at all because of Cal's ability to crumble the second half of the season.

Oregon - Start the season off slow with a new quarterback and a loss to the Dawgs, but pick it up down the stretch to finish the season with a good record. Their O-Line is tough and have a handful of good running backs in Johnson, Crenshaw, and a beast in their new JUCO transfer Blount. Front 7 on D will be average, but could have one of the best secondaries in the country.

Huskies - Maybe pure optimism by a passionate fan, but things are looking up on Montlake. The Dawgs will be able to score. The real challenge will be stopping anyone. Another hard schedule should make for some interesting games.

OSU - Always find a way to over achieve

Arizona - Always find a way to under achieve

UCLA - A team to watch in the future, but without a QB Weasel's first season will be tough (I hope)

Stanford - Turning things around down by the Bay but still not good enough

Wazzu - Will end the season with more criminal records and lost scholarships than wins.

11:03 AM, Jul 23, 2008

PDX --- I feel your pain. I have to go through the same thing you guys do to post in the comments section. I just copy and paste it so I have a copy of it in case it gets lost. There's nothing I can do about the captcha deal --- that's out of my lane, as Keith Gilbertson would say.

Posted by ubigidiot

11:04 AM, Jul 23, 2008

i would say it is hard to argue as well, seems like that may be what the poll will look like tomorrow from what i've seen. i really find it hard to find a difference between 4-7 though, they all have there holes.
cal and uw are almost the same good o-line and qb, inexperience at wr and rb with questionable defenses.

arizona always under performs, and osu i just dont see how anybody can put osu that high this year, maybe they will reload and make a bowl, but with that qb situation, a new running back, jeremy perry being somewhat of a ?, and a completely new front 7 on d i just think it is hard to imagine them pulling a 6th place finish. i have a lot of respect for what riley has done at osu and he shouldnt be discounted, but i think this year will be a slightly down year for the beavs, and im sure they'll be back pretty quick.

usc
asu
oregon
4-6 interchangable
zona
cal
uw
osu
ucla
stanford
wazzu

even oregon has ? and i could see them being included in the 4-6 group and making it a 3-6 group honestly. they're losing all their offense production, but with a good o-line and good offensive scheme i'll give them the benefit of the doubt

Posted by mikey

6. UO
7. Arizona
8. UCLA
9. Stanford

Posted by Gabe

11:15 AM, Jul 23, 2008

Way to go, Bob! These rankings demonsrate your journalistic objectivity remains pure as the driven snow, even in the face of the rampant bias we revel in on this blog. I imagine putting UW at no. 7 and Oregon at no. 2 will upset a few folks, but then you never promised us a rose garden. Best to leave the cheerleading to the cheerleaders. In a strange way, rankings placing Oregon far above UW is just what we want, because that is the only way the Huskies can will deliver an upset that will shock the football-viewing world. To pull off a really big upset, you need to be a really big underdog (or is it a really lowly underdog?). Either way, this sets the stage for fireworks on Aug 30 at Autzen. And perhaps we'll catch the ducks looking down the road just a bit. Troy Must Be Destroyed (diaboloical ducks demolished--getting closer everyday)

Posted by HuskyBCS09

OSU
CAL
UCLA
STANFORD
AZ
WSU

Having the Ducks finish higher in the conference will be less painful because we will be one of the three teams that beat them.

Posted by KC

11:23 AM, Jul 23, 2008

Stanford will finish higher than 9th, Harbaugh is a great coach in the making:

1) pulling a solid recruiting class this year
2) signature win over SC after he came out and trashed PC

Man, I wish we had a coach with that type of piss and vinegar at UW.

Posted by LR '94

11:25 AM, Jul 23, 2008

2. Oregon
3. ASU
4. UCLA
5. UW
6. Arizona
7. Cal
8. OSU
9. WSU
10. Stanford

Posted by UW Dawg Fan on Campus

11:29 AM, Jul 23, 2008

I would agree with Gabe on his last post. Bob you do a great job of keeping this a journalistic blog and not just a biased fan blog. Also, I like being an underdog going into Autzen because it will make walking out of that place much more enjoyable (even if I get hit with a bottle). Even though we are 10.5 point underdogs I don't feel like it. I feel confident like I did last year going into our first two games. Hopefully this year we can build off the first two games and finish the rest of the year strong. I will take 2-1 going into a BYE week before Stanford.

Posted by TurbineSeaplane

11:33 AM, Jul 23, 2008

3. Oregon
4. UW
5. Cal
6. UCLA
7. Arizona
8. OSU
9. WSU
10.Stanford

It's a shocking uptick and Ty gets an extension.

The improved training regimen, leadership from the energetic year 2 dynamo quarterback and being one year further removed from a team that only knows how to lose, all contribute to this pick.

Big games are at home (except Oregon). The USC and OSU games showed us that there is tremendous potential for our BYU and OU games since they are at home.

And finally, the one biggest reason for change. Ed Donatell.

Posted by Reality Check

11:36 AM, Jul 23, 2008

just a quick observation --

For all of the duck and coug fans who come on here and say UW fans are arrogant, just look at these predictions. Not one Husky fan is predicting UW any higher than #4 in the conference. And the majority of us have them in the 5 - 8 range. If that's not a fairly humble view of one's own program, then I don't know what is!

Posted by art

11:37 AM, Jul 23, 2008

I agree Bob. Think there could be a switch
and that Huskies could be fourth, depending
on the first game of the season. USC, as
much as I hate to admit will be # 1. Think UW
will win more than they lose by one or two. Early
season of 2-1 will lead the way. If not Ty is gone
and then we must win. Poor Dogs never thought
I would talk like this about the Husky football
program.

Posted by dawg dude

11:40 AM, Jul 23, 2008

USC
ASU
CAL
UO-much to my dismay
UA
UW-banking on young talent
OSU-too many holes to fill
UCLA-QB
Stan-still rebuilding
WSU-too much "stuff" got shoveled on Wulfs plate w/ holdes to fill

Posted by atlantadawg

11:41 AM, Jul 23, 2008

3. Cal
4. Oregon
5. Oregon State
6. UW
7. Arizona
8. UCLA
9. WAZZU
10. Stanford

Posted by OrDawg

11:41 AM, Jul 23, 2008

Why is Oregon's O line so great? Last time I looked they lost several last year. I do agree they will end up in the top 3. Erickson has another year or 2 before he destroys ASU. UCLA will get whistled nearly every time they have positive yardage. So--
USC
ASU
ORE
CAL
UW
Stan
OSU
AZ
UCLA
WSU

Posted by Jay

11:44 AM, Jul 23, 2008

What happened to Oregon... they lost Dixon. I hate Dixon as much as the next guy, but it took him three years to master that offense (and he did master it as many people can attest (including the UW defense last year) as they routingly tackled the wrong guy.

Stewart can be replaced, but Dixons speed and slickness cannot. UO will not have the offense they did last year, and I don;t remember UO being that great of a defense against UW last year... how many points did they put up? With the lack of experience in the LB's for Oregon, I see a 2 faceted attack with Locker and B-run being one and quick outs being two. The added respect that teams will have to pay towards the Flea and Shaw and Polk and Boyles' speed will give those quick outs a better chance of working, as long as there is not too much drop off in WR blocking technique.

I just see a lot of people taking advantage of the weaker LB's and corners who will be too aggressive for a running QB.

Posted by ice

10 WSU

Posted by ja

11:49 AM, Jul 23, 2008

2008 STANDINGS

1. USC 12-0 (9-0)
2. OREGON 10-2 (7-2)
3. ARIZONA STATE 9-3 (7-2)
4. ARIZONA 8-4 (5-4)
5. WASHINGTON 7-5 (5-4)
6. CALIFORNIA 7-5 (4-5)
7. OREGON STATE 4-8 (3-6)
8. UCLA 5-7 (3-6)
9. STANFORD 2-10 (1-8)
10. WASHINGTON STATE 2-11 (0-9)

Posted by khardy

11:51 AM, Jul 23, 2008

How can anyone be predicting that the Dawgs are going to beat the Ducks in the opening game of the season?

It doesn't matter who UO's QB is, they ran over the Huskies for something like 400 yards rushing last year. They have th e best O-line in the conference, a returning senior running back who averaged 6 yards a carry before he got injured last season, and the highest rated JUCO RB recruit in Blount. Add in the fact that the game is at Autzen...and well... come on be realistic here Husky fans...you have no shot.

Posted by Matt Norling

11:51 AM, Jul 23, 2008

3. Cal
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. Arizona
7. Oregon State
8. UCLA
9. Stanford
10. WSU

Huskies will surprise the field this year, finishing 8-4, 6-3 in the Pac-10.

Posted by TurbineSeaplane

12:00 PM, Jul 23, 2008

@khardy:

See any posts regarding Dixon.

To get the spread working to the point where the team rolls up 400 yards of offense took 3 years.

The Ducks are back in year 1 of that process, AND it's the 1st game of the season.

Posted by Seattle Dave

12:01 PM, Jul 23, 2008

khardy I won't predict a UW win at Autzen this year, but if you watched that game last year then you know that that particular missing QB had a lot to do with the rushing success you cite. Plus, the teams were tied after 3. So there is a shot for the Dawgs in that one. Again, I agree that Oregon is better on paper and should be favored in that game, but they just are not the mighty, constantly reloading colossus that their fans seem to think (that would be USC).

Posted by Seattle Dave

12:04 PM, Jul 23, 2008

almost forgot:

USC
ASU
Oregon
Cal
OSU (great coaching gets this spot until proven otherwise)
UW
Arizona (lousy coaching gets this spot until proven otherwise)
UCLA
Stanford
WSU

Posted by Jose Cuervo

12:04 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1) USC - too much talent, too much coaching. They will lose a game in conference again - pretty sure about that.

2) Arizona State - most experienced QB in the conference. Solid coach. Have to play at SC and Cal but get Oregon at home.

3) Cal - schedule has a chance to help them in getting Arizona St. and Oregon at home - gives them a bit of an edge in my book over Oregon in the standings. They will be solid at QB - that also is a decent edge.

4) Oregon - most likely more talented than 4th in the conference. QB questions will be there until evidence proves that they aren't. Playing @ ASU, USC, Cal, and Oregon State make this the league's most difficult conference schedule - hard to not see them pull 3+ conference losses.

5) Arizona - Pretty favorable home schedule with only Oregon really considered a difficult road game. The rest of them are winnable (UCLA, Stanford, and WSU). If they are able to replace a lot of their graduating defense, I could see them higher in the standings.

6) Washington - Home conference schedule (Stanford, Oregon St., Arizona State, and UCLA) provides room for some winnable games. Pull a victory or 2 on the road in conference and you have a chance at a winnable conference record. Question marks at RB, WR, and DL will be somewhat addressed by a greater number of bodies able to compete at those positions compared to recent years.

7) Oregon State - Challenging home conference schedule with SC, Arizona State, Cal, and Oregon all slated to go to Corvallis. Great home schedule if you are trying to win the conference and have the team to go with it. Not a great home schedule if you have QB questions (which they do) and are replacing a significant chunk of their defense (which they are - in their case, it may be a case of having very inexperienced depth making their returning players play more than they are capable of playing).

8) Stanford - Lots of returning players and Harbaugh has shown an ability to coach. Getting Oregon State, Arizona, and Washington State at home provides some opportunities for wins. I'm thinking that they can get around 3 to 4 conference wins.

9) UCLA - Severe QB questions and virtually nothing on the OL to speak off. If you don't have a QB in the Pac-10, you tend to not do very well. If you don't have an OL in the Pac-10, you tend to struggle. If you don't have both ...

10) Washington State - Not really sure that there is much to like about what is going on in Pullman. They'll be more competitive than some may think - but ultimately, a lack of depth is going to hurt them.

Posted by UW Dawg Fan on Campus

12:05 PM, Jul 23, 2008

KHardy-
A lot of those yards on the ground were a direct result of Dixon running that offense to near perfection, so I would say a new QB does make a big difference. Maybe if they were running straight ISO and traps the QB wouldn't make that big of a difference in the running game but with that offensive scheme the QB drives the running game. And don't forget the Husky offense was keeping up with that nationally acclaimed offense for much of the game.

Posted by Renegade Dawg

12:05 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1) USC
2) ASU
3) UW
4) CAL
5) OR
6) OSU
7) AZ
8) UCLA
9) Stan
10) WSU

Bob, how can you keep pumping up LaGarrette Blount, a player who has never played a D1 game and at the same time you put down UW's playmakers due to lack of experience? Even guys like Goodwin, Shaw, and Johnson who do have some experience.

Posted by Ducks 45 Dawgs 13

12:05 PM, Jul 23, 2008

You're a smart man Bob. I just hope the Ducks get into a BCS game this year.

Posted by rickymrick

12:06 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Good Day Bob:

This is how I see the Pac-10 in 2008:

1-Oregon-Hate the Ducks but look out for them
2-USC-Darlings of the pac-10 fall a few notches
3-Cal-Teford has the Bears back
4-ASU-Erickson is a winner but the team will
lose some key games
5-UCLA: Neu has been a winner at Colorado and
U-DUB...they will surprise
6-Washington-Ty is on the Hot Seat...Talent is
uprgraded...key wins and maybe a Bowl
7-Arizona-Stoops also on the Hot Seat.
8-Oregon state: Too much talent lost
9-Stanford: Young team but energetic coach
10-WAZZU: new coach. lack of talent

Posted by khardy

12:07 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Turbine - No. No no no no no no no.

Dixon was mired in Gary Crowton's offense for 2 years before Chip Kelly came in last year and implemented his zone read...and then you know the rest.

The Ducks as a unit are in YEAR 2 of Chip Kelly's offense...
Costa is moblie, just not as fast as Dixon.

I recommend you skip the first game and concentrate your hopes on the rest of the season.

Posted by uw dude

12:08 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. USC - duh
2. ASU - pretty girls
3. Cal - Tedford makes a comeback
4. Oregon - loss of Dixon is underestimated
5. UW - Locker counts to infinity, twice
6. Zona - "air raid" offense reminds me of dazed and confused
7. OSU - pesky Serna is gone
8. UCLA - enjoy it this year, cause the slickster won't be this low next year.
9. Stanford - decent looking team
10. WSU - so many reasons to rank them last it puts a smile to my face just thinking about it.

Posted by mfsthorn

12:08 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Since nobody's being a homer and picking the Huskies first, I will -- ok, this is how I'd like the standings to be:

1: UW
2-8: Don't care, anybody but the cougs or ducks
9: cougs
10: ducks

Lacking that, I will be okay with 4 home conference wins and two conference road wins (cougs and ducks)

Honestly, I think my way of filling out my pre-season poll is as accurate as anybody else's. Every year it turns out teams end up being way over-valued while others come out of nowhere.

p.s.

ja - You've got the Pac-10 going 44-46 this year ...

Posted by rickymrick

7-Arizona: Stoops on the HOt SEAT
8-Oregon State: Too much talent lost
9-Stanford: Team on the rise. energetic Coach
10-Wazzu: New Coach, lack of talent

Posted by coreydillonfan

12:11 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Good work as usual Bob. I am extremely optimistic about the team this year. Every coach on this staff knows that they must win and they must win now.

Call me crazy, but I think Jake Locker has a shot at winning the Heisman this year. He will have to run and pass ALOT in order to win. And they have several BIG market games to showcase his talent. They will have to win AT LEAST 8 games for that to be the case but I think they are going to continue to score, play "better' defense and close out games.

1. USC (no losses)
2. ASU (2 losses)
3. Oregon (3 losses)
4. UW (4 losses - USC, OK, Arizona and CAL)
5. Arizona (4 losses)
6. Cal (4 losses)
7. UCLA (5 losses)
8. OSU (6 losses)
9. WSU (8 losses)
10. Stanford (8 losses)

Posted by Reality Check

12:12 PM, Jul 23, 2008

ducks 13 UW 45 --

Even if the yucks are decent this year, it doesn't change the fact that you're a bunch of dirty corn-chutes!

Posted by UWHuskytSkeet

12:13 PM, Jul 23, 2008

2. OSU
3. ASU
4. UO
5. UA
6. UW
7. Cal
8. UCLA
9. Stanford
10. WSU

Tedford voluntarily leaves Cal after disapointing season, and the tree huggers appeal and win. Riley is given a statue in Corvallis after the Beavers win the Holiday bowl. Ty finishes 6-6 and is fired after losing to hapless Cal in the final game.

Posted by Rawr

12:15 PM, Jul 23, 2008

3. Oregon
4. OSU
5. Cal
6. UW
7. Arizona
8. UCLA
9. Stanford

Posted by khardy

12:16 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ok ok yes it hurts not having Dixon...

But look at what Chip Kelly did with Justin Roper in the Ducks bowl game blow out of USF. Roper could be the 3rd string QB this season.

I'm not saying the Huskies will suck this year... I'm just saying don't be delusional about your shot against Oregon.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:27 PM, Jul 23, 2008

My list:

1. USC (only a subpar OL can derail them)

2. ASU (Carpenter is a vet, OL probably addition by subtraction and WR corp is better. DTs are a concern).

3. Yucks (OL is good, secondary should be very good, DEs supposed to be good (though I think Reed is overrated, Will T. could surprise)...won't finish higher than 3, and they are pretty solid in a fair amount of places but experienced QBs win in this league, Costa less than a year removed from an ACL tear, QBs after Dixon won't have Stewart to hand-off to and not sold on Jerimiah Johnson coming back from an ACL tear less than a year ago as well and being the same nor on a JC transfer with no D-I experience. LBs aren't good and DTs are injury prone and largely unproven).

4. Cal (Longshore is experienced, Riley has started and been around. OL should be good, LBs should be very good. RBs and WRs have little experience and DL has a chance to disappoint)

5. UW (Locker is experienced and dangerous, OL should be good and very good when Garcia returns, LBs amongst the conference best if Butler can stay healthy. Promising safeties too and defensive coordinator could go from the worst DC in 2007 to one of the best in 2008. RB, WR, and DL have little experience though WRs and DL didn't play well last year despite experience. Need to avoid injury bug.

6. Arizona (Tuitama is very experienced and has great arm, though injury prone. Rob Gronkowski is best TE in conference with Fred Davis gone. WRs are good, especially Mike Thomas. OL is pretty good in pass blocking, but running game is not good, DL is unimpressive and replaces all 4 starters with returning sack leader at just 4, LBs outside of Palmer are weak, and have to replace both starting corners with probable weak pass rush).

7. OSU (OL will still be good at run blocking, Stroughter is back, defensive drop-off won't be too severe. However, QB situation is ok at best despite experience, Rogers is leading returning rusher from the fly-sweep while McCants red-shirted last year, center and right side of OL could be a mess, especially in pass protection, and still have to replace entire front 7).

8. UCLA (DTs will be very good if they can stay healthy, OC/DC are very good, and RB position could be a pleasant surprise. But QB situation is a mess, RB position could be hit by injuries, WRs are nothing to write home about, and defense outside of DTs will be pretty weak. OL will be subpar at best and swinging gate at worst...not good for injury prone QBs and RBs).

9. Stanford (getting better, but still near bottom)

10. WSU (not a whole lot to like outside of Gibson and Mattingly, new staff too).

Posted by GotBias?

12:27 PM, Jul 23, 2008

RC - re: duck and coug fans complaining about arrogance.

Ummm - alomost every poster has the UW HIGHER then predicted by Bob or any sports mag, and aso every poster has the ducks LOWER. Can't put the Cougs any lower then 10th so not much to compare.

think that might appear arrogant and biased?

Posted by Reality Check

12:28 PM, Jul 23, 2008

khardy --

Cut the arrogance, man.

Sure, whoregon is a heavy favorite. 10 1/2 points last check. And I'll acknowledge that we're going to have to pull off a big upset to win there. But...

Navy beat ND after 40 years of futility, Stanford beat 'SC, App. State beat Michigan in the "big" house (my favorite game to watch of the entire year, by the way!)... need I go on? Anyway, that's why they play the games.

But alas, I hope most of your kind share your attitude. Maybe your arrogance will allow us to sneak in as huge underdogs and stride out with our first win of the season! Unlikely, sure. But to say we have no shot makes you look pretty ignorant and arrogant.

Posted by Reality Check

12:33 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Got bias --

I don't see the two as being related. Any intelligent person would expect a fan blog to see their team as better than they really are, so your comment doesn't hold water. It's a Husky blog you wingnut! You didn't expect some bias here??? Good grief.

I'm just saying it shows a fair degree of humilty when the average Husky fan here is predicting a middle of the pac finish or worse. I guess I don't see how predicting the Dawgs to finish #5, 6, 7 or 8 could be viewed as arrogant. It says to me that we acknowledge we're an average Pac10 team at best right now. But I guess you are expecting Husky fans to sit here and say we suck and have the worst program in all of D1 football. Unreal. Go away. You're a moron.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:41 PM, Jul 23, 2008

khardy, it's all speculation of course but I think it would be irrational to expect the offense to perform at the same level in the first game of the season replacing a RS-SR QB, a JR RB who was a 1st round talent, two starting OLmen, and a #2 WR.

It's also irrational to expect Roper or whoever the QB is to perform like they did against USF. The Pac-10 is one of the best conferences in the country and the Big East sucks. Roper barely completed 50% of his passes and for just 180 yards. U0 fans only focus on his 4 TD passes but they couldn't stop Stewart at all and his 200+ rushing yards so they did their best to stop him near the goal-line which led to Roper's 4 TDs. Thus, it's a skewed.

Not saying the U0 offense will be bad, just that Stewart was the key as evidenced by his draft position. It's too bad Stewart came along the year UW fired Gilby and hired TW with two months left to recruit as Stewart was a WA State guy.

Posted by KC

12:43 PM, Jul 23, 2008

"Stanford beat 'SC"

arent you going to count our moral victory against SC?

Posted by Ty fan

12:44 PM, Jul 23, 2008

3. UO
4. Cal
5. UCLA
6. UW
7. OSU
8. Arizona
9. Stanford
10. WSU

Hopefully the dawgs finish above 6th and save Ty's job.

Posted by iowa husky

12:45 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. USC - they are what they are.
2. UW - suprise pick. The dawgs will have the #1 offense in the pac 10 next year.
3. talented and experienced, but lack of discipline will haught them as it does every year.
4.Cal - young but talented skilled positions will come through. . .sometimes.
5. OSU - lost a bit too much talent and experience to be much a surprise.
6. Arizona - the offense will look like Arizona State last year.
7. ASU - despite the coaching factor, no Oline is going to destroy this team.
8. Stanford - enough experience to win a few, too little talent to be consistent.
8. UCLA - sunken ship that won't rise this year.
9. WSU - sunken ship that won't rise this decade.

Posted by 209 Husky

12:46 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Your picks seem fine to me, my only question is about Oregon, and not because I don't sadly think they may finish near the top of the pac-10, but more specifically on their so called strength in the secondary, I know they are returning starters and chung is a stud, but isn't this the same secondary I saw carved up by not only UW but other pac-10 teams? They really never seemed that impressive to me, so I can't figure out why one of the reasons given by all sports sites about Oregon being near the top of the pac-10 is their secondary????

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:47 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Realdawg.com is reporting that Keith Price (3 star QB from Cali per Scout) just committed to the Dawgs!

Posted by GotBias?

12:51 PM, Jul 23, 2008

RC - I've seen you posts before, enough with the steady escalation of personal name calling, it just brings the whole blog down to that level.

Your favorites:
go away, Moron, dirty corn-chutes (not even sure what this means), intelligent person (rhetorical), ignorant and arrogant....the list can go on.

OK - so take the UW "homer" votes out. Oregon is picked almost universially lower, why? Pure competitive bias which is fine, same with the Cougs. But to not acknowledge that is misguided.

Posted by BoiseTruth

12:55 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:55 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I don't know, everyone is picking WSU 9th or 10th (I picked them 10th) like all of the sports writers and almost all are picking U0 3 to 5 (I picked them 3rd). There's more variation for U0 because 3-8 will be another crap-shoot for the Pac-10 this year. A lot of teams still developing or rebuilding and the emergence of one or more players can be the difference between finishing 3rd or finishing 8th (if nobody steps up).

Posted by Tarn

1:00 PM, Jul 23, 2008

#1 USC
#10 WSU
It would be a waste of time ranking the rest of the conference before fall camp begins. It's a short time away now.

Posted by Caldawg

1:00 PM, Jul 23, 2008

khardy, you must not follow much college football. If you did you would never make a statement like Huskies don't have a shot. You probably made similar and just as stupid statements about Stanford at USC and App State at Michigan. Never say never in college ball. It just show how blind duck fans are to reality.

Posted by Reality Check

1:01 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Got Bias --

You'll notice you addressed me personally with an attack first. So... please just go away. Yeah, I find guys like you to be morons. I just call 'em like I see 'em. And as far as "bringing down the blog", I get tired of the same game over and over with your types.

Launch an attack or make some smartie comment. (Full well intending to piss someone off.) And then sit there and play the "poor me" game wondering why folks take a swipe at your nose. Don't come on here picking fights and then get all high and mighty acting like some peacenik when someone gets tired of your stupidity.

Anyway, I'm here to chat with fellow Husky fans, not you. So, just go away. You're annoying and bring no value. If I want to know what duck or coug fans think... Gosh, what am I saying? I just don't give a rip what you think, so please keep your ignorance confined to Pulman or eugene.

Posted by MelloDawg

OSU
ARIZONA
OREGON
UCLA
STANFORD
WSU

Oregon does not replace Dixon, somebody tell me they followed the ball on every play last year at Husky Stadium, he was the best I have ever seen run that offense, Stewert was a man child

Oregon d is never tough

Locker lights up field and O line gives breathing room to young RB'S, The WR'S will only be better because they wont drop balls

Defense can only be better

Coaches make needed game day adjustments we have a great season

Posted by ron

8. oregon st
9. wsu
10. stanford

Posted by mfsthorn

1:12 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Boise Truth wrote:

"mfsthorn, just when I thought I had a lock on the Homer Trophy, you ace me out. ^&##%$@@&&*()$$)(^%^%&!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

I'm not a homer, I'm bi-polar -- every week I'm just as convinced we'll win as lose.

NOTE to those predicting wins and losses and not just what order teams will finish -- the combined record in the Pac-10 will be 45-45 ...

I notice some of the Neuheisel apologists have UCLA ranked pretty high ...

Posted by Husky19

1:14 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Gotbias,

Hell yeah we are biased, we all openly hope the ducks fall flat on their face. But Reality has a point, even given that fact that 99% of UW fans hate the ducks, we are humble enough to predict a top half finish for the ducks while most say that UW is in the lower half.

So I don't get your point? You say that oregon is pick universally lower on this HUSKY blog than anywhere else yet still in the top 2,3,or 4 teams in the Pac-10. No kidding, you're on a Husky blog. All Reality is saying is that given the fact that 99% of Dawg fans hate oregon but still have them ranked high shows that we can be as unbias as any other group of fans.

I would bet on an oregon blog (is there even one) that they would universally rank UW lower than national polls and universally rank oregon higher. Bias? Probably but that should be expected.

JH thinks ND will win the national championship this year because of Weis's top recruiting classes. Biased, no not this time, just stupid.

Posted by Boys Town Dawg Fan

7. ucla
8. dawgs
9. stan
10. coug it!

Posted by Shonk

1:15 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I see Washington finishing 5th in the Conference at 6-3, winning 8 games, and going bowling. Here's how it looks:

USC: 9-0 / 12-0
UO: 6-3 / 9-3 (L's to UW, USC, ASU)
Cal: 6-3 / 9-3 (L's to UO, USC, OSU)
ASU: 6-3 / 8-4 (L's to UG, Cal, USC, UA)
UW: 6-3/ 8-4 (L's to OU, USC, ASU, Cal)
UA: 5-4 / 8-4 (L's to UW, Cal, USC, UO)
OSU: 4-5 / 6-6 (L's to PSU, USC, UW, ASU, UA, UO)
UCLA: 2-7 / 3-9 (W's over FSU, WSU, Stan)
Stan: 1-8 / 3-9 (W's over SJ, ND, WSU)
WSU: 9-0 / 2-11 (W's over Baylor, Portland)

Posted by uwlb

1:18 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. USC- Pete C. has the trojans ready for the big games, year after year. With such high recurits coming in and getting playing experience early, the Trojans are never rebuilding.

2. ASU- Most experienced QB (Rudy Carpenter) will go a long way in the pac-10, as long as O-line can protect him.

3. Oregon- The Oregon Ducks always find someway to slip up during the season and slip down a couple of spots. But, there offensive scheme, team speed/talent gives them a top 3 finish.

4. Oregon State- Call me crazy on this ranking, but the Beavs play tough physical football, dirty at times (i know). It's football though. Besides that, if Canfield or Moevau can manage the game and hand the ball to RB they could again be a suprise team. Coach M. Riley does a good job with below advertised talent in my opinion.

5. Washington- I know the schedule does not favor the dawgs, lack of experience at DL, WR, & RB, and lack of winning over past years since 2003 don't align. But, look at the past UW games against top opponents( I.E. Ohio St- close lose, USC- really close lose, Oregon state, etc.) They are a couple of players and plays away from being a contender. I dont even have to mention J. Locker, he will produce. If defense can bend but not break, WR's step up and J.Locker stays healthy= UW Suprise bowl team.

6. CAL- I might even rank them lower if it was not for head Coach Jeff Tedford and the return of QB N. Longshore. What weapons do they have emerging...

7. UCLA- Rick Neuheisel will have this program competing for Pac-10 title in a couple of years. But, the lack of a starting QB will really hurt Bruins this season. First year is always tough though for a new head coach. But, watch out USC..

8. Arizona- Coach Stoops will be booted out of the desert after this season. The have a favorable non-conference schedule, but I just dont see much improvement. And, Tuitama is slightly over-rated in my books.

9. Stanford- I like coach Harbaugh: seems like coach of the game and tough/high energy. But, the Cardinals need some play makers before they can make some serious moves in the Pac-10. But, if they can play with the same fire as they did against USC, they will move up a coule of spots.

10. WSU- I dont have WSU here because i'm a UW fan. But, really they have to many issues and are installing a new offensive system. That alone will make this season a tough one for Paul Wuff.

Posted by MelloDawg

1:20 PM, Jul 23, 2008

uwlb,

I'll agree with you on the close lose aspect and how that would NORMALLY be cause for optimism in terms of this year. However, with the lack of depth you cited at key positions, I don't understand how a "close loss" last year indicates we have a chance to stay in those games THIS year. WR, RB, and DL are incredibly important positions.

Posted by GotBias?

1:21 PM, Jul 23, 2008

RC - thanks for illustrating my point. you've got issues. see you in eugene.

Posted by Berns

9. WSU
10. Stanford

Posted by MTK

1:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Posted by ja

1:35 PM, Jul 23, 2008

mfsthorn, thanks for catching that. Here is the update:

1. USC 12-0 (9-0)
2. ARIZONA STATE 10-2 (8-1)
3. OREGON 10-2 (7-2)
4. ARIZONA 8-4 (5-4)
5. WASHINGTON 7-5 (5-4)
6. CALIFORNIA 7-5 (4-5)
7. OREGON STATE 4-8 (3-6)
8. UCLA 5-7 (3-6)
9. STANFORD 2-10 (1-8)
10. WASHINGTON STATE 2-11 (0-9)

Posted by huskiesjv

7. UA- Stoops outseat my be on fire
8. UCLA- Skippy enough said
9. Stanford- could finish high but I doubt it
10. WSU- They will COUG-IT

Posted by BoiseTruth

1:38 PM, Jul 23, 2008

khardy, I thought that you made a pretty good point with this - "Dixon was mired in Gary Crowton's offense for 2 years before Chip Kelly came in ". I can't put my finger on it, but I've never thought much of Crowton. I think Oregon got a break when he left. However, you could have stopped short of putting down the Huskies.

Posted by UWHuskytskeet

1:43 PM, Jul 23, 2008

"Posted by MTK

1:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

What part of the UW offense, other than Locker running the ball (same as last year), makes you think UW will finish in the top 5?"

The offense was fine last year, it doesn't need to improve for us to finish higher. All we need is a decent defense in order to see positive results.

Posted by jim in eureka cal

1:54 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. usc – will be like watching 1991 uw defense
2. ore – investigation into nike influence starts at end of season
3. asu
4. cal
5. osu
6. Stanford – some coaches handle college players better
7. ucla – hometown refs will screw one of the four. northern schools
8. Washington – 5 and 7 record and the coach is gone, uw steals a prominent coach
9. Arizona – team dissolves after shaky start
10. wsu - injuries

Posted by Reality Check

2:11 PM, Jul 23, 2008

got bias --

I do have an issue with folks who have big mouths and small brains. Therefore, I have an issue with you.

And to illustrate just how bassackwards you are... you assert that UW fans are almost "universially" (spelling knot soe gud?) rank OU lower. As I scan the list, I see whoregon being picked above UW over and over again. I'd estimate easily more than 75% of the posts here pick whoregon ahead or UW. So again, you stupidity is just painful. Please take your pea sized brain back to that hole called eugene and do whatever it is that you do there.

Posted by Reality Check

2:13 PM, Jul 23, 2008

sorry for all the typos in that last post... in a rush.

in a nutshell... oregon fans are the worst! later

Posted by Zach Ramsey

5. UW
6. UCLA
7. UO
8. Stanford
9. OSU
10. WSU

UO was awful without Dixon last year. Expect more of the same. 'Zona wil surprise with the senior QB and easy non-conference schedule.

Posted by khardy

2:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I'm not saying Huskies are going to be bad, I'm just pretty sure they'll get steamrolled at Autzen.

I'm not trying to flame I swear!

Posted by GotBias?

2:41 PM, Jul 23, 2008

RC - thanks for enlightening me, you are 100% correct. you must work for the UN.

Posted by Sittingdawg

2:44 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Good idea! :) Thanks for tallying, Bob.

2. Cal
3. ASU
4. UCLA
5. Washington
6. Stanford
7. Oregon
8. OSU
9. Arizona

Posted by Ry

2:45 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Call me captain optomistic, but I'll put the U-dub in 5th and the cougs are only worth mentioning because I happily have them in dead last. Who cares about the others?

Posted by shane

2:45 PM, Jul 23, 2008

it seems that the fans kinda of come to an agreement that the dawgs will be some where around 4-6

Posted by Reality Check

3:03 PM, Jul 23, 2008

gotbias --

This chat was being kept mostly clean and then you had to go and mention the UN??? C'mon. Let's not use bad words here.

Let's just agree to disagree.

And for the other duck saying the Dawgs will get steamrolled... I'm not going to disagree. If I had to bet real money, I'd probably beg for forgiveness and put money on the ducks.

All I'm saying is that the Huskies at least have a chance. I think it's worth our time to make the trip and see what happens!

Posted by OrDawg

3:08 PM, Jul 23, 2008

RC - if our line holds up and our receivers can catch I think we have a real good chance. The Ducks lost a couple of O linemen, a QB and an RB all of whom were stellar and impossible to replace even near the level they were at. We may lose but I don't think it will be a blow-out by any means

Posted by Jordan

3:22 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. USC (by far the best team in the PAC-10)
2. ASU (Both ASU and Oregon are just a little bit better than the rest of the PAC-10 but still beatable)
3. Oregon
4. Cal (Parity between 4-8)
5. UW
6. Arizona
7. Oregon State
8. UCLA
9. Stanford
10. WSU

USC is by far the best team in the PAC-10. I disagree with Bob that 5-10 is hard to pick. I think 2-10 is hard. I think there is a whole lot of parity after USC. With ASU and Oregon being just a little bit better than the rest of the PAC-10. And Cal, UW, Arizona, Oregon State, and UCLA being measurably better than Stanford and WSU. But I think 2-8 this year in the PAC-10 could go in any order. Every team has strengths and weaknesses that are pretty big.

I think Oregon will be a far better team by the end of the year than they are at the beginning. I am very glad we are playing them first. Their weaknesses will be diminished each week as they gain experience. And I think it is helpful to have all of their fans and hopefully their players too taking a victory against us as an automatic. It will not be easy but we can win that game. With a new quarterback for Oregon, they have no idea what defense they are going to see with Donatell, where the blitzes are coming from, etc. and that will make it more difficult.

I think the season will come down to 3 things primarily. 1) Can the young players at WR, TE, and RB play error free football. If they play like freshmen and turn the ball over then we'll end up 8th in the conference. 2) Can a young team with a front loaded schedule remember the season is 12 games not 3 and if we start 0-3 not give up and get discouraged but rather rally back to win some games and finish strong 3) Jake Locker has to stay healthy.

Posted by Husky19

7. osu
8. stan
9. ucla
10.wsu

Posted by Husky in Portland

3:38 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1 - USC - they beat Ohio State and roll from there, they will play for the National Championship
2 - ASU - Rudy Carpenter will excel despite a horrible O-line - too many offensive weapons. ASU will beat Georgia (i went to Georgia Tech for grad school - TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!) and will contend for a BCS Bowl until they lose to UofA.
3 - Cal - Longshore and Tedford bounce back from a tough season, and beat the Dawgs in December to get into a upper-tier bowl game...
4 - Zeros - lotsa great athletes, but Costa will cost 'em a couple wins
5 - Dawgs - Locker is Electric, and Donatell gets the young D-Dawgs playing with confidence enough. I think we are in for an exciting season with close games, big debuts by young players, and plenty of national attention. WOOF!
6 - Oregon State - we nudge the Beavs only because we will beat them in Seattle this year. Locker will be searing hot with payback after the game in Corvallis last year. Sad to say but this will likely be the highest-charged game emotional game for the players this year...
7 - Arizona - Sorry, but talent trumps good coaching here and the Cats don't have enough between the stripes to save Stoops' job.
8 - UCLA - THUMP lands Neuhiesel back into the conference - how can they win with no solid, veteran, uninjured QB play? But watch out for the Bruins in 2010...
9 - WSU - Wulff will beat Stanford this year and win one other conference game
10 - Stanford - they have USC at home this year, so no big win for them this year :)

Posted by SnohomishRick

UW
WSU

Posted by Reckless Dawg

4:26 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. USC, no brainer.
BIG GAP!
2. UO, they are vulnerable especially early.
3. ASU, Dennis Erickson and an experienced QB.
4. OSU, Will find a way to be the 2nd best D in the conferance (USC 1st).
5. UA, Tuitama needs to be consistantly good.
6. UW, will be much better than last year, schedule may be too tough to tame.
7. Cal, they've been overrated.
8. UCLA, personnel issues and a tough schedule
9. Stanford, not enough anything
10. WSU, new coach, new QB and an empty cupboard. Wulffs first year at WSU will look much like TW first year at UW.

Posted by GoHawks

4:45 PM, Jul 23, 2008

2. Oregon
3. Arizona State
4. Cal
5. Oregon State
6. UCLA
7. Arizona
8. Stanford
9. Washington
10. Washington State

Posted by pacten

4:45 PM, Jul 23, 2008

boy a whole lotta Duck haters on here

USC

5. OSU
6. Arizona
7. UW
8. Stanford
9. UCLA
10. WSU

I'm buying into Erickson, Harbaugh, and the perennial OSU "overachieving." I wish that I could put UW 5 or 6, but I'm worried about the D-line. Jake can take some pressure off the backs, but the D-line is just....

Posted by Dave R

4:57 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Don't you hate when a duck crashes a blog -

1) Oregon
2) Arizona State
3) USC
4) UCLA
5) Cal
6) OSU
7) UW
8) Arizona
9) WSU
10) Stanford

Posted by James

4:59 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. USC- Excellent D
2. ASU- Great QB and Coach, will o-line hold?
3. Cal-Good Oline, some holes/experience to fill

4. Oregon- great secondary, but tough to replace excellent qb/rb team, and they dont reload liker usc

5. Washington- strong oline+more experienced QB. D has to be better than last year. W-L lie on Jakes improved passing and growth of young guys.

6. Arizona-Scary good offense, but D has some issues.

7. OSU- Always seem to do better than predicted, lose some talent

8. Stanford- D improved, but offense needs to show up and be consistent.

9. UCLA- top two QB's hurt, new staff, Norm Chow needs something to work with, and o-line hit hard. Slick Ricks team builds for the future, only to get booted in 4 years after he has successfully destroyed the program.

10. WSU- Building year and character test. New coach, QB, but one of the Top WR in the conference if not league. Where UW was a few years ago.

Posted by BE Husky

zona
stanford
wazzu

Posted by GoHawks

5:24 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ducks 49, UW 24...

UW's D is terrible and talent-wise they have no chance, even Willingham admitted last year they need "bigger guns". Too much speed and power in the backfield and tons of experience on the O-line for Oregon.

On the bright side, UW will be better and Locker and the young skill guys will shock some people by season's end.

UW 4-8, mainly because of the schedule.

Posted by BE Husky

5:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ooops, forgot UCLA - pretty easy to do actually & Hey, it's the return of the pac-8 (+1)!

Let's make that....

USC
Cal
UW
OSU
ASU
OU
UCLA
WSU
Stanford
AU

If Ty's going to turn this around, why not to the top 3? After USC, the pac is nothing special this year.

Posted by Jim

6:26 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. SC
2. Cal
3. ASU
4. Washington
5. OSU
6 Oregon
7. UCLA
8. Ariz.
9. Stanford
10. Washington St.

Posted by echo31

6:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Why do so many of you have Oklahoma factored into your rankings. They aren't in the Pac-10.

OU = Oklahoma
UO = Oregon

Duh!

Posted by echo31

6:38 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Oh, and as for my guess:

1. USC - they're the Trojans, isn't this inevitable
2. Oregon - Costa was almost the starter going into last season and he has an amazing coach in Chip Kelly and great backups if he gets hurt
3. ASU - the O-line will keep them below Oregon
4. Cal - experience at QB
5. OS(U) - shouldn't be this high, but they keep ending up higher than expected
6. Arizona - the O will put up a lot of yards but their D will give up more
7. UW - same as Arizona, but with a brutal schedule
8. UCLA - no QB
9. Stanford - could be on the rise ... but probably not until next year
10. WSU - lack of experience and talent

Posted by NorCalDawgFan

7:19 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Pac 10 picks with conference records:

1. USC, 8-1: Gee Beavs; don’t go undefeated on account of another Corvallis loss and that kind of stuff. Beaver loss doesn’t keep them out of championship game.

2. UW, 8-1: Don’t look very good in losses to USC, BYU and Ok, but win a lot of close games because not as bad in 4th quarter as last year and have a lot of young guys that have more competitive drive than other teams. Lose to USC by over 20 as they have a linebacker or back constantly in Locker’s face and he is lucky not to have minus 65 yards scrambling. Locker gets injured in UCLA game and misses the Was who? game, but comes back to run for 180 yards against Cal.

3. Cal, 6-3: Look impressive in home wins against Michigan St, Arizona St, and Oregon, but can’t match USC and can’t mentally recover from USC loss in time for Oregon State. The reason they call the game against Stanford “The Big Game” is because to Cal players and fans, there is no big game after the Stanford game.

4. Arizona St, 6-3: A good team that two tough games in a row against Cal and USC; then blow a game against UW when Erickson thinks he is Frank Kush in Husky stadium and Carpenter relies on a TE to be open at the end of the game, only to find UW now has a defensive secondary.

5. Oregon, 5-4: A penalty and turnover ugly opening game, then not good enough to win at USC, Arizona St and Cal.

6. Oregon St, 4-5: Who are these guys? A flat opening loss at Stanford, big home wins against USC and Cal, but a loss at Arizona. Big disappointment is at UW when they blow a 17 point 3rd quarter lead, when with 5 minutes left in 3rd, Riley thinks it is 4th quarter and starts running the ball after they already gained 380 yards passing.

7. UCLA, 3-6: Only excitement for them is trying to get RN into Husky stadium, then needing an RN to get him out of the stadium, while Khaleil Bell finds out Husky stadium in November isn’t the same as Rose Bowl turf where they get 3 wins.

8. Stanford, 3-6: They got their USC win last year and get their Oregon St upset this year, but then can only win against Arizona and Was who?

9. Was who, 1-8: Great to get a November win against Arizona. Have a chance in Apple Cup, but lose by one point on either a late game missed 2PAT or UW successful 2PAT.

10. Arizona, 1-8: Maybe things would be better if opponents were named Washintono, Stanfordo, Oregono, etc. Not too bad of a team, but they find out that Tui of Az (and a cat) ain’t no Tui of UW (and a dog).

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:38 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Lets see-

I can't pick the Dawgs in front of ASU, USC, Cal or Oregon so I will pick them 5th. OSU lost their entire front seven on D, their All Pac-10 Kicker and some of their WR's, therefore I'm picking Arizona 6th, OSU 7th, Stanford 8th, WSU 9th (not bad starting talent and I believe they lost fewer guys than us and oh ya they beat us last year) UCLA 10th (not a QB in sight) .

Before anyone goes off on me regarding OSU's D-Line; yes, their 4 projected starters on the D-Line may be 3 Sr's and a Soph., BUT they have a combined "0" ZERO Tackles between them.

Their RB is a RS Freshman, 2 of their starting WR's are Soph. with a combined 19 catches between them and 1 of their starting OLmen is a Freshman.

I don't see OSU finishing ahead of us. Plus, they are getting known for their vicious hits and hits to the head. The NCAA has changed some of the rules this year and if ANYONE hits Jake in the head with his helmet first, at a minimum it's 15 yards and most likely they're kicked out of the game.

No hard feelings OSU fans, but yes - Afalava left his feet, went airborne and stuck his helmet into Jake's head. Last year it was legal, this year he gets kicked out of the game.

Posted by Coastal Duck

7:45 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Bob - pretty fair arms-length evaluation - nicely done.

Although I'm a Duck fan, I'm also a realist - if USC runs the conference table, as they are most assuredly capable of, if the Ducks are to finish 2nd, they would have to win 2-of-3 on the road against Cal, ASU and the Beavs, with a first-time PAC-10 starting QB and hope that the team that beats them loses twice more themselves (tie-breaker thing) - a tall order, indeed.

I like ASU for 2nd based on the veteran QB Carpenter - Erickson will find a way to protect him - rollouts, shotgun, whatever.

The real wild card team IMO is Arizona - veteran QB, offense in the 2nd year under Dykes, decent D, always tough at home, etc. How badly they want to play for the resident Madman is the question.

Dawgs, even though unproven on O, should be better across the board.

Beavs always find a way to come together in the second half of the season, thanks to Riley's steady hand at the helm.

Stanford could pull a shocker or two again this year but a probably a year away from being a serious threeat to breaking into the first division.

Cal is another enigma - do they experience a hangover from last season's flameout even with experience at QB.

Cougs - gonna be a tough year in the Palousse (sp). Tough at home in late October and November, though.

No love lost for Skippy from a Duck fan - dating back to the Cotton Bowl of '95 - personally hope they don't win a game this year.

USC first, Wazzu last and throw a big blanket over the rest of us.

Posted by DAWG@usc

5. UCLA
6. Arizona
7. Stanford
8. Worshington
9. WSU
10. OSU

Oregon-probably more wishful thinking than anything, but the taste in my mouth from last year is still bad.

USC-I'm not going to be able to say anything about how good they are that hasn't already been said.

ASU-Erickson is a cheater, but as USC has shown, cheaters can prosper.

Cal-The rest of the conference is just too weak.

UCLA-see above reasoning for Cal.

Arizona-will shock someone then be shocked by others. Stoops will join the rest of the 5.5% of people who don't have jobs.

Stanford-I just hate the other 3 teams too much to rank any of them outside of the bottom 3.

Worshington-they suck but are probably the best of the 3 northwest teams that remain. Will start the season with 5th consecutive blowout loss to the Ducks.

WSU-because I hate the beavers that much.

OSU-1-11, 0-9 conference sounds about right. Will reach a futile level that has only been seen once in the Pac-10 in recent years and that's when the beavers went 0-19 in conference play in basketball last year.

Posted by DawgDawn

10:54 PM, Jul 23, 2008

1. Oregon
(Hate to write this and probably need to wash my mouth out with soap after putting the Ducks at the top, but they might have the top O line, top RB pair, top front D line, top DBs (with three on the Jim Thorp list!), and one of the strong (and young) LB sets they've had in recent years. If Jason Williams ever learns to catch the ball, he will be unstoppable and the SC Jamere Holland transfer could be key because otherwise the usually strong receiving corps would be mediocre at best this year. The coaches have been high on Costa since he got there. He's the swingman... If he plays like they think he can, there will be another serious national title run. With limited time, he played solid as a true freshman against PSU and USC, but until he proves himself in clutch real-game situations...

2. USC
Pleeeeeeezzzzz...loaded with talent. The reason I've got SC at #2 instead of #1 is because they lose four of the five starting hogs up front...and it all starts there. Sanchez showed moments of greatness and will likely have it all together by the end of the year, but there will be a stumble or maybe two. SC will rival Oregon for the top DBs in the conference. SC has D ALL DAY LONG!

3. ASU
Got to give the credit here to Erickson. Who can squeeze out the talent like few other coaches, but the talent does not rival SC or Oregon yet.

4. Cal
Solid talent, good coaching, but still won't function as a cohesive enough unit to jump higher.

5. Stanford
Surprise!!!

6. OSU
Riley has held them up as long as he could and overachieved, but now they finally begin to slip consistently

7. UW
Finally coming together as a team, but to tough of a schedule. 4 losses by less than a touchdown.

8. Cal
Surprise again!

9. WSU
It's a cold season.

10. Arizona
Complete implosion in Stoops' final year

Posted by Ty has his year

11:12 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Come on people, where is the love????

1) USC Carroll cheats and no one cares
2) UW Big time year for Ty - Locker awesome
3) CAL Tedford's head explodes after late loss
4) ASU Erickson getting old - O line no good
5) UCLA Slick Rick is up to old tricks
6) OREGON Loss to UW start of dissappoinments
7) STANFORD Max results given talent
8) ARIZONA Bye bye Mr. Stoops
9) OREGON ST Great coach has tough year
10) WAZZU No huddle offense absolutely no defense

Book it Danno

Posted by WingT

11:18 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ahhh, those rose (or purple)-colored glasses. Face it kitty-kats, Oregon will win by at least three touchdowns at Autzen next month, and anyone who thinks otherwise is drinking some seriously bad kool-aid. Having a decent QB isn't nearly enough against a defense that will lay wood on Locker like Barry Bonds swinging for the bleachers.

Posted by uwlb

9:34 AM, Jul 24, 2008

MelloDawg-

I see your point to my analysis. But, I look at it this way. We had experienced guys last yr at those spots: DL-Gunheim, Reffett, etc, WR-all Seniors, RB- Rankin (only really got to turn it on when o-line picked it up at end of season. Anyhow, my point being is that if we had experence last year and the results were not good, how bad could it really be with young, excited, fast players getting their first shot to display talent.

Sunday links

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Saturday notes

Huskies get one vote in AP poll, other notes

Husky nightcap, Friday edition