Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 9, 2008 7:51 PM

Noble reportedly coming late, other links

A few notes and links for Wednesday night:

--- Dawgman.com is reporting on the site's message board that incoming DT Craig Noble has not yet passed the California High School Exit Exam and won't be able to get a result on a retake for three weeks or so, meaning he won't be able to enroll for the summer bridge program and could miss a week or two of fall camp. Practice starts Aug. 4. Noble, from Woodland Hills, Calif., was regarded as one of UW's top recruits and expected to compete for immediate playing time on a defensive line thin on experience. Arriving late obviously won't help his chances. UW coaches have said at least two of the incoming frosh could play on the D-line. The others are Everette Thompson, an end; Senio Kelemete, likely an end; and Alameda Ta'amu, a tackle.

--- Former Seattle PI reporter Ted Miller, now writing a Pac-10 blog on ESPN.com that is threatening to put the rest of us out of business, has this interview with prospective Oregon QB Nate Costa. In it, Costa says that "I have a hatred for UW.'' Really, though, it would have been an upset if he had said anything else. It would be like asking David Stern if he had a hatred for honesty, integrity, loyalty and tradition (really, I'm not bitter at all).

--- Nick Hundley, the son of former UW defensive coordinator Tim Hundley --- who worked under Rick Neuheisel --- made his Major League debut last Friday.

--- I'm really not linking this just because it mentions me. But after I detailed UW's Class of 2005 the other day, Rob Moseley of the Eugene Register-Guard decided to check in on Oregon's Class of the same season and found that it hasn't had much more staying power than Washington's.

All for now.

Posted by Mike

9:33 PM, Jul 09, 2008

I like how we have Bob and they have Rob... it's like Mario and Wario.

Posted by Duck Hunter

10:44 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Well we know that Costa has a bum knee. First chance we get we should make him feel those frustrations that he felt last year again.

Posted by mike@mike.com

11:16 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Boy, isnt he arrogant, i hope we sack the hell out of him.

Posted by Seattle Dave

11:18 PM, Jul 09, 2008

"They have the golden arches, I have the golden arc's... they have the Big Mac, I have the Big Mc"

Bob keep the Stern shots coming, they bring a smile to my face every time and he and the NBA deserve every one of them.

Posted by Pygmalion

5:25 AM, Jul 10, 2008

"It would be like asking David Stern if he had a hatred for honesty, integrity, loyalty and tradition."

That's awesome.

Posted by Ziasudra

5:46 AM, Jul 10, 2008

I see where Miller expects Costa to get either pistols or sabres for a one-on-one match; isn't that what he means by "duel-threat?"
Oh, well, what can you expect from ESPN's spell-check?

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

6:59 AM, Jul 10, 2008

Seattle Dave, love the reference to Coming to America.

Duck Hunter, great post name. Also, I agree about pounding hard and early. Donatell needs to make Chip Kelly pay for spreading out the offense and exposing the QB. Sure Locker is exposed at times, but he's 6'3 235 lbs, strong as a LB, and faster than any player on the opposing defenses (except some on USC maybe). Costa is 6'0" to 6'1 and 210 and coming off a mid-season ACL tear and was never as fast as Locker anyway.

Posted by Purple Kaya

7:40 AM, Jul 10, 2008

I hope our guys are getting pumped to take a shot at this guy. Hopefully Donatell can roll out some great blitzes and stunts to bring some heat.

Has Costa even seen the field in a game before? I like the fact that he won't have any tape on our defense and no experience to fall back on.

I keep hearing about how good Oregon's defense is going to be. I haven't looked up the numbers, but I don't remember them being particularly dominant last year.

Heck, didn't we roll up 34 points on them with a freshman QB?

Posted by Spider Gaines

8:48 AM, Jul 10, 2008

Ted Miller is to Bob Condotta what Bonnie Bernstein is to Erin Andrews... the poor mans version.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

8:51 AM, Jul 10, 2008

Costa got in 2 games (blow out of Portland St. and got blown out by USC) completing 2 of 5 throws and ran 7 times for 40 yards with a long of 39. He suffered an ACL tear late in October so he'll be playing a bunch of rabid Dawgs just 10 months removed from the injury.

FWIW, he was only offered by the Yucks, Utah, and Boise State.

Posted by red

9:54 AM, Jul 10, 2008

I think it is a mistake to belittle Costa. By all accounts coming from Eugene this kid is the real deal. Hell, just look what that stiff Roper was able to do in the Sunbowl with just a few weeks under Chip Kelly's tutelage.

I personally feel like it would be a BIG mistake to throw a bunch of blitzes at Oregon. Do you guys know anything about football? The ducks Oline is extremely talented and full of seniors. It could be a recipe for disaster.

Posted by Purple Kaya

10:32 AM, Jul 10, 2008

red, I don't see anyone belittling Costa. The fact is that he doesn't have much experience even if he is a great talent.

So football genius, what would your defensive gameplan be? Sit back Kent Baer style and let the Ducks dictate everything? How did that work the past three seasons?

I think we need to mix it up. Not all out blitz every down but bring some well timed pressure. Donatell believes in his d-line tying up the o-line to let the LBs run free.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

11:38 AM, Jul 10, 2008

red, do you know anything about football? Pointing out a player's injury history, very limited experience at the most important position on the field, and who thought highly enough of him to actually offer speaks volumes and is not belittling someone. Furthmore, I doubt you know that much about football since USF was overrated and much of the reason why Roper had a good game was because Stewart ran all over them, a 1st round talent who averaged 11 yards per carry! Roper could just sit back and relax, throwing against an overrated defense trying their dangest to stop the run. Even so, he only averaged 6 ypa and the 4 TDs skewed the performance.

I suspect you are a Yuck fan with your severely lacking analytical skills.

Posted by old dawg

11:54 AM, Jul 10, 2008

At this point, I don't see how the dawgs can take anyone for granted.

We have to nail down every opportunity, and simply prepare to come back from the inevitable setbacks. We not only need to "mix it up," we need to diguise schemes, gang tackle, and play with aggression to the point that every play has a cost to the opponent's offense.

Much of the pain of watching last season was the extent that Baer would concede...to blink when confronted. Grrrrr...

Even when you give up a big gain, you can make the player pay a price...give up a fumble, hit him hard enough to hear footsteps...the problem is that consistently last year the opponents realized that once they broke a long one, the Baer defense would not challenge them anymore. Everyone knew it, and all opponents counted on it.

Simply removing Baer and the docile mindset will make a huge difference.

By way of perspective...After the Orange Bowl, the dawgs played BYU. Different players, different year. BYU won convincingly. The next year we played them again. They scored right off, and their attitude was "Oh boy! Here we go again." It wasn't the same team, and the game ended in a rout by the dawgs.

The point is that the return of smash mouth husky football can/will lead to a significant chage in the dawgs' fortune. If any dawg coach reigns in the dawg defense aggression ever again, I'll be leading the charge to have him removed.

We won't ever go without an occasional loss, just go down with all guns blazing.

Costa may turn out to be the real deal, or he just may be another gnat. The dawgs simply need to make him pay for every inch and regret facing us.

Posted by keep in mind...

11:54 AM, Jul 10, 2008

Keep in mind the Yucks have not only Costa, Roper, and the two new freshmen 4* guys, but they ALSO have the JUCO 5* guy backing them up. That's a big pile of qb talent to climb and whoever does it, is going to be confident, and ready. maybe not ready for Aug 30th, but ready for 08.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:10 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Costa and/or Roper may turn out to be pretty good but Masoli hasn't even sniffed a 5* ranking. He wasn't ranked by Scout or Rivals at all so not sure where you got that.

Posted by keep in mind

12:16 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Posted by keep in mind

12:20 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Sassified? 5 stars, and the reason it still lists him as a recruit still is because he hasn't officially signed yet or something.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:21 PM, Jul 10, 2008

I would use the regular Scout website since it's impartial:

If he was really a 5 star, he would have more than one offer.

Posted by informed dawg

12:23 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Masoli 5 star rated by scout, on our own website. Took one minute to find it.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:28 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Seems to be a discrepancy then. Rivals shows him as NR with offers from the Yucks, Arizona, Arkansas, and Auburn. I would think a real 5 star QB would get a lot more attention than that so something isn't right. Plus, he's listed at just 6' so I'd think he'd be a true 3 star or a low 4 star based on offers and measurables.

Posted by keep in mind

12:30 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Maybe it is because he left JC early. I can't answer your questions. All i know is what I read on the website when digging into it.

So if he is two inches taller he gets anothe star? Is that the formula?

Posted by keep in mind

12:35 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Here is something I found on youtube about this Masoli guy.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:39 PM, Jul 10, 2008

I guess we'll have to see how he ends up doing in college. I think it's pretty apparent that the sweet spot for QB heighth is 6'2 to 6'6. Senaca Wallace was a 6' QB coming out of JC but he was lightning fast and had some nice offers (including from UW) but he was a 4 star. Without watching a player play, I look at offers (since college coaches almost always know better than anyone else who to offer) and then much farther down look at measurables.

I'm not saying he'll be bad but Locker was a 4 star with offers from everywhere and Tebow was a 5 star with offers from everywhere to put it in perspective.

Posted by informed dawg

12:41 PM, Jul 10, 2008

The discrepency is that the scout database has two entries for him. Scott Ecklund of Scout has confirmed the rating and that they are trying to delete the one star entry. One star merely indicates that he had not yet been rated.
You are aware that he won the national championship as a freshmen at his JC? The reason for the low offers and lack of info is that he was eligible to leave JC after just one year and did so. He most assuredly would have been a top target in the country had he stayed for year 2.

Posted by keep in mind

12:48 PM, Jul 10, 2008

All i know is that I just watched the youtube video again, and the guy looks amazing. Why is he not mentioned more is my question. Running, throwing, hitting guys in stride...

He looks kind of slow-ish though.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:49 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Maybe it was grades, but if he was a 5 star talent, I'd think all the big programs would've gone after him. Guys usually go to JC because of grades or because they didn't get offers out of HS.

In the end, we'll just have to see. A QB who's listed at 6' and reported to run a 4.6 (could be a 5'11 and runs a 4.7 for all we know) doesn't sound like a 5 star to me. Locker is 6'3 and runs a 4.45 (even could be 6'2 and run a 4.55) and he was 1 star lower than this guy.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:51 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Ah forgot about YouTube. I'll take a gander...

Posted by informed dawg

12:57 PM, Jul 10, 2008

NY,
Can the kid play? I can't think of manyJC qb's in the past that Bulloti has been wrong on. If memory serves I think that the last one was Akili Smith.
You are right, it is always a crap shoot but comparing stars for Locker to stars for someone else based on how tall or how fast they are is idiocy.

See here for example:

Posted by keep in mind

1:01 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Now THAT is funny.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

1:06 PM, Jul 10, 2008

As I mentioned before, I first look at offers. That's really the best gauge and then much farther down, I look at height and speed (for a running type QB offense). Again, if he was really a 5 star, why weren't more teams offering him. I think a JC with grade problems is only available after 2 years of JC while a guy who didn't get any offers (or at least that he liked), is available after one because they don't have grade issues (Jason Wells).

If I'm not mistaken, Akili Smith wasn't 6' tall either.

Posted by keep in mind

1:11 PM, Jul 10, 2008

NY- These are all great questions to ask. Call Scout and ask them.

If I were to try to answer them , I guess the only thing that I can think of is that when stars are given to a star HS quarterback, a lot is placed on attributes like you mentioned. But maybe for a JC quarterback, they take more into consideration since there is some college (even though it is a junior college) experience. Did you see the text at the beginning of the video? Those are some damn impressive stats if you ask me.

Posted by informed dawg

1:11 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Right,
Offers are an important gauge. As I understand it Masoli may have slipped through the cracks due to changing highschools late via parents moving. I am not sure he is a grades issue guy. Either way it probably won't matter for Oregon this year as I doubt he sees the field much.

The guy that they got who really scares me is Chris Harper. I think this is the one to watch:

Posted by keep in mind

1:24 PM, Jul 10, 2008

That guy does look like a beast actually. His throws don't look as on the money as the Masoli guy though, but when he takes off running, its a load to bring down!

The difference still is that Harper is playing against high schoolers, while Masoli is playing against college players.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

1:34 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Masoli looks like a poor man's Seneca Wallace to me...pretty good but not as strong as arm and not as fast/quick as Seneca. I want to know who that #10 WR is...that guy can get open easily! Granted it's JC competition, but he still was open by miles in a lot of the plays!

Posted by Mike

2:26 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Guys,

Masoli was a full qualifier coming out of high school and is 4.0 student. He family moved to Hawaii his senior year, and he that was why he wasn't highly recruited.

Posted by RedDawg

5:34 PM, Jul 10, 2008

HFNY. That's Charles Frederick. :)

Posted by Averroes

9:12 AM, Jul 11, 2008

nice shot at Stern, I might ending up changing my opinion of you Condotta lol seriously i give credit where credit is due and that was a great blog, keep em coming!

Jul 10, 08 - 11:14 PM
AD update

Jul 10, 08 - 01:08 PM
Watching a workout

Jul 10, 08 - 08:51 AM
Locker's baseball season ends this weekend

Jul 9, 08 - 07:51 PM
Noble reportedly coming late, other links

Jul 9, 08 - 11:53 AM
Garcia "way ahead of schedule''