Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 24, 2008 1:04 PM

Huard working for ESPN, more Locker comments

A few more notes from KJR's coverage of media day:

--- Dave Mahler interviewed Brock Huard as Huard was in LA per his new duties working with ESPN/ABC as an analyst for Pac-10 broadcasts this season. This is a good move for Huard, who has steadily been working his way into this business the last few years. I think he turned down a chance to work for ESPN doing games in other conferences last year because of the travel.

Asked about the Huskies, Huard said he has talked often with his brother, Luke, a graduate assistant for the team, and been told that the new assistant coaches have "said we have enough talent to win eight games. Now we are young, that's the challenge. Can it happen? Yes. Is it more difficult (because of the youth)? Absolutely.'' Huard said he thought the assessment of the talent from the new coaches particularly revealing because "they bring an unbiased opinion'' having not really been involved in the recruitment of the players.

--- Mahler concluded his day there with an interview with Jake Locker.

Locker said he hasn't changed anything mechanically with his passing this summer instead focusing on his knowledge of the offense, saying getting more confident in what he is doing will improve his accuracy. "I said in the spring I felt more confident in the offense and that that made a big difference for me,'' he said.

Asked about the new receivers, Locker said "they were able to play fast and very athletic'' during summer workout sessions saying they "will cause some problems for some defenses. It's been fun seeing them try to grow and mature in their positions.''

Asked about the expectations for the team, he said: "We believe nobody is going to expect more out of us than we are, so that's what we are focused on right now.''

And asked about opening with Oregon, a team that has won four in a row against UW, he said: "It's time that we put our foot down and make a stand for ourselves.''

Posted by jh

1:59 PM, Jul 24, 2008

..."Locker said he hasn't done changed anything mechanically with his passing this summer"...

...oh, oh...sounds like baseball took precedence...

2:09 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Locker only played 10 baseball games and almost all were during the week when the entire team was off following the end of finals --- a time when every team in college football has to be off per NCAA rules. He played another couple games on weekends. I don't think baseball will play into anything that happens this fall. I think his baseball playing days may be done for a while as he didn't play near as much as some had anticipated and called it quits before the season was at its midway point.

Posted by Reality Check

2:23 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Must be the sun coming out, because I'm feeling a strange sense of optimism based upon something I hadn't looked at recently...

08/30/08 at Oregon * Eugene, Ore. 7:00 p.m. PT
09/06/08 vs. BYU Seattle, Wash. 12:00 p.m. PT
09/13/08 vs. Oklahoma Seattle, Wash. 4:45 p.m. PT
09/27/08 vs. Stanford * Seattle, Wash. TBA
10/04/08 at Arizona * Tucson, Ariz. TBA
10/18/08 vs. Oregon State * Seattle, Wash. 4:00 p.m. PT
10/25/08 vs. Notre Dame Seattle, Wash. 5:00 p.m. PT
11/01/08 at USC * Los Angeles, Calif. TBA
11/08/08 vs. Arizona State * Seattle, Wash. TBA
11/15/08 vs. UCLA * Seattle, Wash. TBA
11/22/08 at Washington State * Pullman, Wash. 12:00 p.m. PT
12/06/08 at California * Berkeley, Calif. TBA

Yes, the schedule is brutal... but, we have 7 home games. And outside of the Oklahoma game, none of the home games are against all world competition. Some very good teams, sure. But we don't have USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. rolling into town. In short, we should pick up some wins at home this year. Moreover, we absolutely must win 5 or more home games. And if we can do that, then it comes down to stealing 1 or 2 on the road to make a bowl game.

For all of the negativity I've felt, I can actually see the possibility of us making a bowl game if we can just protect our home field this year.

Posted by jh

2:25 PM, Jul 24, 2008

...as it's against NCAA rules for the crack UW staff to coach players during the offseason...who did coach Locker since last December...in between baseball, of course?...or was it a "family" effort?...

Posted by Travuw

2:25 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Bob, has there been any indication that you guys might have a bit more access to the practices this fall than in the past?

I personally think it would be great if you could write as many articles as you can focusing on specific players (performance wise as opposed to sentimentality stuff) as we run up to the start of the season. I believe it gives players something extra to prove when they know they might have the spotlight on them given their practice performances.

Posted by tarnjarv@msn.com

2:25 PM, Jul 24, 2008

jh,

Posted by jh

2:27 PM, Jul 24, 2008

...Reality Check should change his moniker to "Delusional Check"...

Posted by jh

2:31 PM, Jul 24, 2008

..."Can you enlighten us as to what mechanical changes you would make in Jake 2.0 passing technique?"...

yea, I can...based on last year...just keep running...

2:36 PM, Jul 24, 2008

It's actually not against NCAA rules to coach players during the off-season --- it's called spring football. And it was well detailed here and elsewhere that they did do some minor tweaking of Jake's mechanics then. If you read the quote, you'll see that's what Locker is saying --- he felt it got better in the spring and continued what he had been doing then. We'll find out in the fall if it works. But I can't imagine how 10 baseball games --- and he never did any practicing with the Bells other than days of games --- would impact anything. I would imagine Jimmy Clausen probably had a few days this summer he didn't spend every single second of his time working on his passing mechanics, though since he led an offense that was held to three points or less three times last year, maybe he didn't need to.

As for more access, I don't think so. I think we'll have the same amount as the past few years, if not less, though I don't know that for sure. We haven't been specifically told anything, though the preliminary schedule we were given did not indicate any more access than the past.

Posted by Woof!

2:36 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Cry me a river jh, jeeze...

Posted by Reality Check

2:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

jh --

You dwell in a dark place, don't you? Read my post. I'm simply suggesting that as a guy who has felt very negative going into this year, I can see the possibility of us pulling out 6 or 7 wins. I didn't say a national title. Heck, I didn't even say we WILL win 6 or 7 games and go to a bowl game. I'm simply saying the year might not be a total disaster. I'm sorry if that's sipping the Kool Aide too much for you!

Posted by DuckD

2:40 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Good luck making a stand for yourself on one foot, Jake. In addition to not working on his passing mechanics this summer, sounds like Jake also failed to work on his cliches.

2:43 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Can we make this clear? Jake Locker did not say he didn't work on his mechanics this summer, he said he didn't change them. Working on anything isn't Locker's problem. I will always welcome dissenting views here on this blog but let's at least be fair, especially to the athletes who aren't making millions of dollars in all of this.

Posted by OlyDawg

2:45 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Locker looked as solid as can be during the Spring Game (13-17, 159 yards, 1 TD in limited time). I only saw one errant pass and very little running. Threw quite a few lightning bolts 15-20 yards down the field that Goodwin was pulling down left and right. With great hands like Bruns, Chris Polk, and Augilar coming in, his completion % is only going to go up (and with that, more control of the ball/game).

I expect more of the same during the season. Little chance baseball hurt his throwing mechanics, especially since he played a total of 10 games with little or no practice, and still managed to make every 7 on 7 drill possible.

Posted by StarDawg Champion

2:50 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I wish I could go to sleep and wake up at 6:59pm on August 30th.

Here's a fun thing to think about: if you were the OC for the Dawgs this year, what woudl be your first offensive play call against Oregon? There are so many different ways you could go and so many possible ramifications given the success or failure of that first play. What would you do and why?

GO DAWGS!

Posted by quack

2:51 PM, Jul 24, 2008

funny DuckD, subtle but funny.

Can't wait to see "the pick" on the new jumbovision, at night, will be sweet before the real sweetness on the field.

i also like hearing that beating the ducks is now "THE UPSET THAT WILL SHOCK THE NATION". Guess the ducks have arrived.

Posted by poster

2:51 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Not only that, Jake didn't even pitch, he was playing outfield. I might add Jake also said last summer that he runs a 4.7 40, and he also plays with the media a little bit (his stiff neck trick). Just because he says something doesn't make it true. Besides, most of the commentary by people that actually know something states he works very hard to improve, and why wouldn't he work hard at what seemed like a weakness in his game? The other semantic arguments aren't even needed.

Some posts on here are obviously by trolls and don't merit a response, in fact, if a person is only a troll (no constructive comments) then there is no real reason to keep their posts. Dissent is one thing, antagonistic idiocy is another.

Posted by poster

3:01 PM, Jul 24, 2008

The Ducks "arrived" 14 years ago really, any Husky fan would have to acknowledge that. But they've been at an even higher level recently. In fact (even as a Husky), I believe they had a chance to win the NC last year if not for some key injuries (not just DD). I'll speak for myself, if the Huskies win in Autzen I will consider it an upset, but I think it has decent odds of happening.

Neat question regarding the first offensive play of the game by StarDawg. Obviously a successful first drive helps quiet the crowd, and a well executed sequence of plays to move the chains is better than a gamble at a homerun. That being said, I'd love to see a mis-direction play to take advantage of the Oregon D's respect for Jake's running ability and then have a sneaky route (wheel route perhaps) down the opposite sideline by one of the young WR's with serious speed. But I'd also love to see what running straight at them does. As an OC, I think the first plays are more important to set-up the later plays that can go for a big gain (and to move the chains), but hell, that might just be why it would work.

Posted by StarDawg Champion

3:05 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Forgot to include my play call:

I'd line up in a single back set with Locker under center. One WR split wide to the left with a TE on that side as well. Slot back and WR on the right.

I'd play-action to the RB off center on the left hand side. RB then shuffles through the line and settles into a hole between the LB's. The TE chips the DE then drags across the field to the right just behind the LB's. WR on the left side runs deep directly at the goal post. Slot back runs straight up the seam on the right side. WR on the right runs a 10 yd curl. After faking the hand-off to the left, Jake rolls out to the right with the option to pass or run.

This has big play potential, but also gives Jake the chance to tuck it and make something himself if nobody is open. Also should help neutralize a blitz if the Ducks are trying to make a statement. Also lets us see how they're going to play the run due to the play action.

Man this is fun!

GO DAWGS!

Posted by augiedawg70

3:12 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Hey guys, since when do we even acknowledge that Oregon is a serious football program? Thus, why would we acknowledge that there are Duck fans who know anything about football? Cross-country maybe, but football? Gee, what's the point of having a 100-year tradition of beating up on Oregon if we're willing to throw it away because of the last four years. We're the Huskies, arrogant as ever and we should act like it. Trust me, it drove them nuts in the 70s and 80s, it still drives them nuts.

Posted by poster

3:18 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I like the idea StarDawg. Stretch the field with the 2 WR's and make it easier for Jake if in fact he does run. With WR's that can stretch the field (I believe Russo was better than many poster's have said on here, even if not a burner) Jake may be able to make some of those 30-35 yard runs into more.

Interesting to note, during the 2001 season I was at Autzen for the Husky game, sitting near Hugh Millen (when he was actually sitting, let alone being in one place) and he pointed out how Aliotti was essentially stacking 8-9 in the box and daring Tui to throw on them from the get go. Aliotti is a good DC (and note he's been there precisely since Oregon "arrived"), and I could seem him try the same approach with our current offense until we can pass on them successfully (even without a bunch of blitzes, which may also come). But if a play breaks beyond that initial line, it can go big time. Locker's running ability changes everything. Any improvement in the pass game and I wouldn't want to be an opposing DC.

Posted by doug

3:20 PM, Jul 24, 2008

this guy threw uw under bus by saying if he told all he knew about how uw operated we would be shut down AS A SCHOOL not a football team. f him

Posted by poster

3:23 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Make that the 2000 season, the 2001 Rose Bowl.

For me, since they've been a serious program I've acknowledged it. Fine by me. It'll mean all that much more when we beat them.

3:25 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Doug --- That was Billy Joe Hobert, not Brock Huard. Big difference in the legacies of those two players. Huard deserves nothing but admiration for the way he has represented himself and the school through the years. I should just delete those types of comments, but since it was already there, I'll just correct it.

Posted by E Wa Dawg

3:29 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Just like the buffet table takes precedence for Weiss, eh JH

Posted by augiedawg70

3:30 PM, Jul 24, 2008

poster,

That was my point. Beating Oregon should mean nothing. We should remember that beating USC and UCLA are what matters.

Posted by poster

3:30 PM, Jul 24, 2008

If it improves the blog Bob, please don't be afraid to do it. It won't mean you're big brother.

One of the last things I'm worried about on this blog is you abusing the privilege (responsibility) of policing the blog.

At the very least, thanks for putting the shot across the bow.

Posted by poster

3:33 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Augiedawg, I already knew that was your point.

Problem is, Oregon has put together a pretty good program. Thing change. If we beat them, I would be remiss to only be happy that we beat an old doormat. I can't think of a way I would not be happy to also beat a good program.

Posted by augiedawg70

3:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

OK. I just believe that if we concentrate on being good enough to beat USC, then everything else naturally falls into place.

Posted by Mr. Wellbeloved

3:40 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Locker over Jimmy Clausen every single time. no doubt about it.

Posted by poster

3:41 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I like the cut of your gibberish Augiedawg! Agreed.

Interesting, but we have a chance to be the team to dethrone USC ('09 or '10). I'm not sure someone will do that this year. Honestly, I think ASU is getting more credit than they deserve, Oregon has some key question marks, I don't think Longshore is accurate enough as a passer or a good enough player in pressure for Cal. Other than those teams, I don't think someone has a shot at USC this year in the Pac. Unless Riley proves everyone wrong again.

Posted by Irishtodagrave

3:43 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Jimmy was the top QB in the nation and regard as one of the biggest QB prospects of the last decade. Locker wasnt even a top 10. Other QBs from his class are Heisman QB (Tebow) or hecka good like stafford. locker couldnt even hit half his passes in a short passing schme. he also threw way more TD. If clausen had a line last year (thanks ty) he would have put up lienart numbers

Posted by augiedawg70

3:44 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I've simply been waiting now for four years for someone on the team to stand up and say: It's time to stop this nonsense. So, maybe, Locker can deliver this year on his comment "that we put our foot down and make a stand for ourselves." Wouldn't it be so nice to thinking about how we match up with the Trojans, rather than those damn Ducks?

Posted by mr. wellbeloved

3:46 PM, Jul 24, 2008

as for the first play of the game...qb draw with Homer, Tolar and a pulling White-Frisbee leading the way. Take it right at them.

Posted by Reality Check

3:50 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I'm trying real hard to ignore the duck (and coug) posts. It seems the guys come on here for no other reason than to cause trouble, so why give them the satisfaction. But that being said, dang are they annoying!

As for our chances against whoregon, I'm still in the camp that it would be a significant upset. But as far as overall resumes, whoregon has never won a meaningful game during my lifetime. UW has the whammy in Miami (ending a 58 home game winning streak), the Orange Bowl win (where we should have won the national title outright), beating USC 31-0 (their first shut out in gosh only knows how many years) in our coming out party for the early 90's dominance, multiple Rose Bowl wins... anyway, you get the point. UW has many, many significant wins over the last 30+ years. We've played in and won a number of games which had major ramifications in the college football world. Sure, we suck right now. But we're at least relevant. whoregon hasn't won a signature game during my lifetime.

So, until they do that, I just don't care what they have to quack about. Frankly, if they didn't have an inferiority complex, they wouldn't be here trolling a UW blog.

Posted by mr. wellbeloved

3:50 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I repeat (irishtodagrave, you and jh should hold hands) locker over clausen any day of the week. No doubt.

Posted by E Wa Dawg

3:54 PM, Jul 24, 2008

So irish, 3 years after he left TW is responsible for ND's line? Are you also thanking him for the talent that went to 2 BCS bowls immediately after he left? Oh wait I get it, the longer since a coach was involved the more responsible he is for the results. Thus, since TW is now in year 4 we've got it all backwards. Success or failure this year is because of Ricky, not TW and thus a losing season should mean retention and a winning season replacement. Boy I feel better now that that's all figured out!

Posted by augiedawg70

3:57 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I usually don't make predictions about individual football games, but mark my words, Irishtothegrave, I think the Notre Dame game this year will not be just a game -- it will be a reckoning!

Posted by mandawg

3:57 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Bob-

You have discussed the level of media coverage extensively, but I was wondering if you know whether or not there will be pictures published online from August practices. I assume you won't know at this point, but I noticed that USC always has a ton of pix up from practice and it would be awesome to see the dawgs in action. Obviously they have different policies than us though.

Thanks.

Posted by stogie

3:57 PM, Jul 24, 2008

What classes does the talent reside in? I think it will be hard to translate talent to wins until the upper classes get re-stocked.

Posted by kdawg

3:58 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Reality Check, don't forget the three weeks we have a bye to re-tool and stay healthy!

Posted by mfsthorn

4:04 PM, Jul 24, 2008

RC -

When we shut out USC 31-0 it was the first time USC had been shut out since ... we shut them out in 24-0 in '83 ... and we did it to them again in '97 (27-0) ...

Yeah, you're right about where we are now ... our last signature win was Miami in 2000 (which, to me, was more significant than beating a not great Purdue team in the Rose Bowl that season) ... that's a long time (SIGH)

Posted by jh

4:12 PM, Jul 24, 2008

..."Locker said he hasn't changed anything mechanically with his passing this summer"... bobbi

..."And it was well detailed here and elsewhere that they did do some minor tweaking of Jake's mechanics"... bobbi

...my, my, bobbi...your own reporting is contradicted by yourself within hours...a first in the anals [sic] of Seattle newspapers...

Posted by Seattle Dave

4:13 PM, Jul 24, 2008

LOL you are "hecka good" yourself irishtodagrave

"short passing scheme" OK whatever

"Clausen threw way more TD" umm no, actually Locker threw 14 TD and JC threw 7

"Leinart numbers" Locker actually had a higher passer rating than Clausen last year so I don't think JC is gonna threaten Leinart's place in the college football annals anytime soon

Posted by oxo

4:15 PM, Jul 24, 2008

what's your point jh?

Posted by jh

4:16 PM, Jul 24, 2008

...one question, Olydawg...who's defense was Locker competing against in the spring game?...

Posted by James

4:26 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Dennis Dixion, Formerly All-World Quack QB played Baseball last summer and look how well he ran the spread. I think the Duck fans are more worried about Locker then their letting on.
First play out of the spread, option pass. The quacks try are over eager to smack Jake and he hits Polk on a post route.

Posted by mr. wellbeloved

4:33 PM, Jul 24, 2008

i think jh should worry about Notre Dames line protecting his qb hero little jimmy clausen from breaking his leg. I bet jh patterns his hair after clausen. isn't that right, little jimmy boy.

Posted by hsky69

4:35 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Harrigan (JH) you're not as clever as you think you are.

You conveniently left out the word "then" in your second quotation when attempting to show Bob contradicted himself in regards to Jake working on his mechanics. The "then" that you purposely left out of the quote referred to Spring ball - not the offseason workouts this summer. There was no contradiction by Bob. Only a sad attempt by yourself to be smart.

Posted by twolivecrew-goducks

4:36 PM, Jul 24, 2008

RC - "Dazzling Ducks, Rich Cool and 4-0.

That meaningless game put them on the cover of SI.

Yes, I know what happened the rest of the season, but to say no significant wins is wrong. USC last year? The list is longer then your think.

Posted by Husky19

4:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

JH, have you ever played organized football?

Posted by Chris Miller

4:38 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Bob laying down the hammer on JH, that is beautiful! We really could be in for a turn-around season!

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by jh

4:44 PM, Jul 24, 2008

...unfortunately for your (and bobbi's) commentary, 69, the quotes were cuts and pastes...

Posted by jay h

4:56 PM, Jul 24, 2008

can't we just all admit that notre dame is the greatest football school of all time? also, we should acknowledge that tw ruined notre dame football, and is also a horrible recruiter. but wait, we also have to acknowledge that charlie weiss is a football genius. oh yeah, i forgot that we need to realize that jimmy clausen is the greatest qb ever to play even though he was a 25 yr old high school senior. "that's what i like about these high school girls man. every year i get older and they just stay the same age" - jimmy wooderson clausen

Posted by DucksDominate 8-30

4:57 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Reality Check....I mean Delusional Check,

No signature wins for the Ducks......you obviously no nothing about Oregon. In fact, I believe the year Oregon went to the Rose Bowl and beat the Pups with "The Pick".....UW came into that game ranked 4th in the country. That would be a good place to start. Unless during your life time means you are only 12 years old. 2001 Fiesta Bowl....Oregon beats Colorado and ends up 2nd in the country. Oregon goes last year to the Big House and kills Michigan, then proceeds to knock off both USC and ASU on consecutive weekends.....two teams both ranked in the top five in the country. Point is....

Posted by ha ha ha

5:04 PM, Jul 24, 2008

National Champs???
Rose Bowls???
nope, not is oregon's past

Posted by Gabe

5:05 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I think we're going in the precisely wrong direction by constantly trying to tear down Oregon. Do they need our help in that department? What we should be doing is building up their program to the max and telling the world what a terrific team they are going to have. It's going to be one of the best teams in duck history, no doubt about it. In fact, I think the ducks have the best darn team in the whole country, from sea to shining sea. And that is why the UW win in Autzen on Aug 30 will be the Upset That Shocked The Nation. If they're that freaking good, then how good are the Huskies? And how good will we be when we upset USC? Even better. It doesn't hurt to hype the oppositon if you really think you can beat them. Troy Must Be Destroyed (deranged ducks demollished)

Posted by ha ha ha

5:06 PM, Jul 24, 2008

then oregon loses something like 4 of it's last 5 rendering it's wins over usc and asu worthless.

Posted by ha ha ha

5:08 PM, Jul 24, 2008

good points gabe. either way, eugene is still boring and filled with too many smelly hippies

Posted by dawgdayzofsummer

5:25 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Locker vs Clausen? Well Clausen has twice as many PAC-10 wins as Locker. But Locker is a true game changer. They meet the this year and next. This year the edge goes to Locker.

Posted by irishtodagrave

5:31 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Clausen is an all time QB prospect, Locker is a strong safety.

Posted by ha ha ha

5:48 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Clausen's high school stats were great because he was 20 years old playing against.....high schoolers. Maybe he should redshirt for about 5 years and then play college ball.

Posted by jh

5:48 PM, Jul 24, 2008

...from Yahoo Sports:

..."Besides Nevada and San Diego State, other schools showing interest in [UW commitment] Price are Louisville, Washington State, Utah, Montana State, Portland State and Villanova (Division II)."... from http://76.13.116.113/ncaaf/news?slug=ri... &type=lgns

...nice "get" willingham...I'm sure Nevada, San Diego State, Louisville, Washington State, Utah, Montana State, Portland State and Villanova are really pissed...can't believe St. Mary's in Moraga was left out of the mix...I also can't wait for your second verbal...

Posted by irishtodagrave

5:54 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Weis is putting the finishing touches on one of the greatest recruiting stretches in modern college football while "tyrone" has one verbal beating out nobody. Congrats, you deserve him UW fans.

Posted by jay h

6:17 PM, Jul 24, 2008

notre dame fans, you deserve your arrogant over-hyped coach - it's a perfect fit. good luck coming up with excuses after the loss to san diego state.

Posted by oxo

6:22 PM, Jul 24, 2008

broken record jimmyh repeating his irrelevant banter yet again. you're funny, in a laughing at you kind of way.

Posted by Ziasudra

6:22 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I don't remember for sure, because I don't keep up with ND football - but didn't Weiss have several great recruiting classes already? I wonder why his recruits don't win . . .even over Navy???

Posted by irishtodagrave

6:23 PM, Jul 24, 2008

his recruits were underclassmen, the tierone recruits lost those games.

Posted by ha ha ha

6:29 PM, Jul 24, 2008

so then tyrone's recruits won those games in fat charlie's first two seasons? you notre dame fans are too much

Posted by mr. wellbeloved

6:32 PM, Jul 24, 2008

^classic Notre Dame. it's going to be funny when they run weiss out of town, and blame that on tyrone too.

Posted by dawgdayzofsummer

6:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Notre Dame was very young last year and lost with Weis' recruits. Even they admit that. They are just hoping that experience will develop talent. Huskies are the same way this year.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

7:10 PM, Jul 24, 2008

the Irish were actually pretty veteran on defense though. they had 7-9 Jrs and Srs starting on defense last year, depending on the game/injuries. It was the offense that was young with 5 or 6 Jrs and Srs starting.

Posted by Jordan

7:19 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I agree with Gabe. I am done comparing UW to Oregon. It is a mistake. We don't want to be Oregon. We want to be USC. 1-4 in the last five years in bowl games that were all pretty meaningless is not Washington. Our rightful place is battling USC. And we'll be there in 2009. Back in Pasadena right where we belong on January 1st.

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:40 PM, Jul 24, 2008

All this talk about the Frightening Amish from the University of No Real Shame and the University of Whoreigum Peking Yuks had made me ill, time to puke. Good evening all Husky Fans - Good riddens all OU and ND Fans. PS. Don't you guys have your own Blog sites to go to? Why do you have to come here and ruin ours??? It just makes no sense at all - you do realize that this site is titled "Husky Football Blog" don't you? Your apparent stupidity represents your Universities well.

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:54 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I believe DeAndre Coleman summed up the difference between his top two schools nicely when he said:

"I really like Washington and California," Deandre Coleman said. "U-Dub is recruiting me the hardest and I love coach Tyrone Willingham. He's a great person and is all about helping his players and making them better people and makes sure they stay focused on school.

Cal is a top team that wins. I really like my position coach there (defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi)....

Thats the words of the States top recruit this year: UW helps players become better people and graduate. Cal wins. Hopefully, Mr. Coleman will be able to find all three things at the Dub this year.

Posted by 3 of 5

7:57 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Stardawg: if you were the OC for the Dawgs this year, what woudl be your first offensive play call against Oregon?

Awesome question. I'd do a fake QB draw and dump it to shaw in the open field watch him break the ankles of an all-american secondary.

Posted by ag

8:11 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Well said onewood. I haven't been able to figure out why they are here either. The only thing I can come up with is worry and fear. I think the Oregon people are really worried that once UW gets back on track they will return to dominince and the Ducks will be left out in the cold again like it was in the old days. And I think the ND people are afraid that TW actually will succed at UW and they will look real stupid for firing him. I don't know how else to explain it. If we really are that bad and our coach is so terrible then why are they even coming on our blog. Just to rub it in our face I guess. Can't they just leave us alone and let us "whistle past the graveyard" in peace.

Posted by DC Duck

8:39 PM, Jul 24, 2008

The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is Locker.

When you come to Eugene you better be ready for the Animal House that is Autzen Stadium.

Posted by HarborDawg

8:42 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Sweet StarDawg......start off on the right foot as it were. I think I've seen that opening set somewhere years ago...I have visions of a very fast, strong and smart QB....but where?

GO DAWGS

Posted by Harbordawg

9:51 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Bob, consider it an accomplishment that so many Whoregon "fans" have nowhere else to turn but here, on a Washington blog.

Never mind that Dawg fans would never search out a Whoregon blog...so sad, so telling.

You'd think Phil's $ could buy them a forum somewhere...anywhere.

GO DAWGS

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:14 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Irish to the Grave-

That is great that Clausen is one of the all-time greatest QB prospects ever.

That means Weis can really recruit, which we all know. But until he can play well -which maybe dependent upon the O-line or not- it doesn't mean a whole lot, does it?

It is like saying Emeril has bought some of the best ingredients ever for his new recipe. But his new recipe may still never progress beyond crap. That's the problem, right?

Posted by Coastal Duck

12:14 AM, Jul 25, 2008

To put alll Husky, um, "minds" at ease regarding the Duck presence here - it's obvious - this is better material than you can get on Comedy Central.

Augie Doggie, Boo Boo, and the rest of you clowns - "Priceless."

Keep thinkin' the good thoughts about August 30, Fuskies -

First play - fumblerooskieducktd - hah!

BTW - my first post here was as a football/PAC-10 fan, but if you'd rather flame on the Ducks, so be it.

Oh, and, Go Dawgs, Beat the gIbbeRISH!!!

Posted by jh

8:26 AM, Jul 25, 2008

...ya gotta love the UW football fan...they have unarguably the worst coach in college football....have been in last place in the Pac-10 for four straight years...and all they can write about is Weis...talk about the willingham Titanic Tea Party...

Posted by Reality Check

8:29 AM, Jul 25, 2008

I guess I must not "no" anything about yuck football then. Because I KNOW that nothing they have done during my lifetime has really seemed impressive. They'll get to the edge of greatness (see last year). But, dare I say it, they coug it -- or maybe it should now be called "ducking it" -- every time.

In over 30 years of watching pac10 football, I can sincerely say I've never viewed whoregon as a team that has made a national splash. Sure, they've won some games in the last 10 or 15 years, but where are the Rose Bowl victories, the national titles, the pac10 titles. Be honest. The cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to tangible proof of greatness.

But continue to quack away. It only makes you look pathetic and shows your desperation to get some recognition for accomplishments you can't actually make.

Posted by Reality Check

8:36 AM, Jul 25, 2008

And for all of the folks up in arms about Locker playing in 10 baseball games this summer...

Please give the guy a break!!!

There was a time not that many years ago when guys routinely played more than one sport. And somewhat recently you can point to guys like Nate Robinson, Reggie Rogers, J'Warren Hooker, and many others who were two sport athletes.

Anyway, these guys are athletes who like to compete. And frankly I'm more worried about a guy playing a pick up basketball game over the summer than I am about a guy playing 10 organized baseball games.

Can we give him a break? It seems awfully silly to be freaked out about 10 baseball games affecting his mechanics or mindset. I'm sure nobody on this blog wants to win more than Jake Locker. And I'm equally certain that he wouldn't have played any baseball this summer if he had any belief whatsoever that it would negatively affect his football performance in any way. Who knows, maybe a little cross training could actually HELP his play. Has anyone considered that possibility???

Posted by Jim Lambright

1:54 PM, Jul 25, 2008

We live in a world of "what have you done for me lately" - Husky Football is a joke and we all know it deep down inside.

Posted by jh

2:53 PM, Jul 25, 2008

..."It seems awfully silly to be freaked out about 10 baseball games affecting his mechanics"...

...you should hope, delusional, that if affects his mechanics... which, for even a quarterback on a bad team, were equally bad...

Posted by rpk

11:44 AM, Aug 10, 2008

...oh, oh...sounds like baseball took precedence...

JH,
Duck bq Dennis Dixon played baseball in the off season last summer. He came back facing the same type of remarks that you post about Jake Locker. Dennis sucked, he came back his senior year and was much improved. All the people that have seen Jake work out have been very impressed with his ball control. Give him chance.

How many qbs come as freshmen and trear it up??

New AD coming soon?

Husky nightcap, day six

Locker's father: "He'll be on the field at Oregon''

No official word on Locker