Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 9, 2008 11:53 AM

Garcia "way ahead of schedule''

At the kind invitation of UW's sports performance coach Trent Greener, I happened to take in the team's off-season conditioning and weight lifting session today. I'll have more on that later.

But thought I would pass along now a brief conversation I had with center Juan Garcia, who was wearing a smile as wide as any he has had since before he suffered a Lisfranc injury during spring practice in April.

Garcia happily reported that his foot is now out of a boot and that he will hopefully begin jogging in a couple of days and that he is growing increasingly optimistic that he could be able to play most of this season.

"It's way ahead of schedule,'' he said. "We were looking at (returning) at mid-season but now we're looking at two games into the season, so we'll see what happens.''

The caveat is that this remains a tricky injury and as Garcia admits, the real test will come when he puts the kind of pressure on the foot that can only be found playing football.

Garcia said how the foot will respond to that that won't really be known until he goes through a few practices. He's hoping he may be able to take part in practices beginning in mid-August, if not a little earlier just for some brief appearanes.

"Maybe throw me in for a couple of plays to see if it's actually going to hold,'' he said.

But UW trainers and coaches plan to be as careful with the injury as possible since a false step could put Garcia back to step one.

Garcia said he has been chomping at the bit to push his recovery but coaches and teammates are doing what they can to keep him in check.

He said on Tuesday he watched the team's voluntary 11-on-11 drills and asked if he could go in for a play. He said Jake Locker said sure, as long as the team walked through it. Garcia wanted more, however, and he thought his pleas had eventually worn down his teammates as they agreed to let him in for a play. But when the snap came, Garcia reported with a laugh that defensive tackle Cameron Elisara backed away, saying "I'm not taking any chances.''

"It was pretty funny,'' Garcia said.

Garcia said he will have the foot examined again by doctors next week to see how well it is healing. All previous reports, however, have been good and Garcia said that so far "not going to surgery has been a good thing. I feel pretty good. Maybe all those prayers have been working.''

Unable to run yet, Garcia spends his workout sessions almost entirely in the weight room, and he said he has added to his upper body strength --- his weight is up to 320, though he said he'd like to be back to 310 for the season.

"My strength is there,'' he said. "I've just got to get my stamina and conditioning back up.''

But Garcia said the recovery to date has him feeling like his old self. "My confidence is starting to come back,'' he said. "But no matter what happens, the one thing nobody is ever going to be able to take away from me is that I did not quit.''

Posted by TurbineSeaplane

12:34 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Fantastic!

Here's to safe and quick recovery for Juan! We need him!

Posted by pattapit

12:45 PM, Jul 09, 2008

keep the prayers coming guys... we need this

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:50 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Heck yeah, Juan is one of the best and most proven players on the team! I hope he still is careful, especially from now until the end of July. His positive thinking must surely play a part. Sounds like he could possibly get some snaps against Oklahoma to test it in a game and then really come back fully two weeks later against Stanford. Or, get a some snaps against Stanford in the 2nd half when we're blowing them out before playing a lot @ Arizona.

All in all, excellent news. The more he is around the team and even participating, the better!

Posted by Holdingmybreathe

12:55 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Great update Bob!!! Get well soon Juan!!! 509 represent. We can only hope Mr. Savannah is having the same "speedy" recovery on him Arm caused by the Temporary "Brain" lapse! The question that E.J. never thought about before acting out the movie "Over the Top" !! "Should I be Arm Wrestling so competitively that I could put my Football Career in Jeopardy?" Note to E.J. - stop being meat head & help this Defense beat Oregon!

Posted by bellingham husky

1:08 PM, Jul 09, 2008

more bob haircut coverage please.

Posted by camano

1:24 PM, Jul 09, 2008

That was a good read - thanks Bob! Let's hope the docs are as optimistic. To see Juan on the field by mid-year would be fantastic. This line is going to be tough.

Posted by OlyDawg

1:36 PM, Jul 09, 2008

What a stud and what great work ethic.

Don't push it too fast Juan! Stay off the field until you are given an okay by the Dr's. Don't want to end up like Tiger.

Posted by OlyDawg

1:37 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Also, Bob, did you see EJ around the practice facilities today? If so, any idea on how he is doing?

Posted by JimMorarulz!

1:44 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Bob I'm begging you for some information on the development of Garcia's backup! How's he coming along???

Posted by Gabe

1:46 PM, Jul 09, 2008

One thing is certain: Nobody's going to ever say Juan quit on anything. But he has to be patient and that may be the toughest part of his recovery. It's pretty clear his foot has not yet been tested, and shouldn't be for a while since this is a slow-healling injury involving a lot of moving parts. I know he hates this idea, but a 7th year might not be out of the question, especially if it is the ticket to the NFL. Troy Must Be Destroyed (ducks destroyed)

Posted by Mark

1:47 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Hell yea, that's great news. Not just for our team, but for an individual who is hoping to move on to the next level. I sincerely hope he makes it to the draft, especially after staying for his 6th season out of pride for the program.

Posted by Huskiebob

1:57 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Great news for Juan and the Husky football program. We are all rooting for you big guy!

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

2:10 PM, Jul 09, 2008

JimMorarulz!, Matt Sedillo is officially the back-up at center and is a RS-Soph now. However, I think Denbrock will want to move RS-Soph Ryan Tolar over from LG to Center and insert RS-Sr OG Jordan White-Frisbee at LG. JWF has recently received high marks for his play and the coaches want to get the best 5 OLmen on the field.

Posted by dogtired

2:37 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Yes, Juan no one can ever say that were a quitter. Never once did you quit, even before you were hurt, so yes, we will all keep saying our prayers. Not just so you can play football, but so you can have a future!

Posted by Joe

3:44 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Thanks for the update Bob, I was wondering isn't he still able to use a bike or other forms of exercise to keep his stamina and conditioning up?

Posted by caineman

3:49 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Great!!!

Posted by Drew

5:04 PM, Jul 09, 2008

This is so awesome. What an inspiration. My prayers are still going out to you Juan! How fantastic would it be to see him playing most of the season? Let's send him off with a bowl win!

Posted by UW Alum

5:14 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Juan is the very definition of what UW football is all about. If everyone on our team had as much heart as he does then I guarantee you that we'd have already been back to a bowl game. Good for him.

Posted by kdawg

6:36 PM, Jul 09, 2008

This is great news for Juan and the team!

Bob, what's the status on Savannah? He's the next big question.

Posted by alfalfa

6:36 PM, Jul 09, 2008

What's this, GOOD NEWS coming out of Montlake????

7:13 PM, Jul 09, 2008

On Savannah --- There won't really be any new news on him. His arm is in a cast and it takes 2-3 months to heal. When it can get out of the cast, they'll take it off and see where he is. It is still anticipated that he will be back mid-to-late August at the earliest. I can't imagine it could really happen any earlier since it's a break and those usually need the expected time to heal.

8:03 PM, Jul 09, 2008

On Garcia's stamina --- I'm sure he rides a stationary bike all the time but it's just not the same as doing football-related activities, like all the shuttle drills that the team does during its regular drills every day. I didn't see E.J. but I wouldn't read anything that --- I was told he can't go through the regular workout stuff due to his cast. As I wrote in the comment above, I don't expect much big change in his status. it's a break and needs the requisite time to heal. He's expected back mid-to-late August. It's not a break he can play with.

Garcia's replacement is likely to be Matt Sedillo. But if Garcia is out long term, the team would also consider moving over Ryan Tolar and starting Jordan White-Frisbee at guard.

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:13 AM, Jul 10, 2008

Got to love Juan's fortitude and example. That is the attitude that is needed in all facits of life. I've been in that "over 50" group for a few years now but I still hold a statement that my mom made to us kids many years ago - "please - don't tell me how much you love me - show me". I grew up doing instead of talking and I'm particularly proud to hear Jaun is living and showing the same.

Posted by Dawg Dude

12:00 PM, Jul 10, 2008

What a beast.

With everything he has gone through and sacrificed for the program, Juan has to be near the top of anyone's Favorite Huskies list.

Posted by Averroes

9:15 AM, Jul 11, 2008

If Juan Garcia never plays another game he's already a GREAT HUSKY!!! But Juan will play and lead us to a winning season. Just don't rush anything.

Jul 10, 08 - 11:14 PM
AD update

Jul 10, 08 - 01:08 PM
Watching a workout

Jul 10, 08 - 08:51 AM
Locker's baseball season ends this weekend

Jul 9, 08 - 07:51 PM
Noble reportedly coming late, other links

Jul 9, 08 - 11:53 AM
Garcia "way ahead of schedule''