Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 10, 2008 9:56 AM

Tuesday link-o-rama

So what does "o-rama?'' mean, anyway? Just seems to fit, I guess. On to the links. ...

---- Here's an interesting post from BruinZone.com via the LA Times UCLA blog with some entertaining comments from Rick Neuheisel at a recent auction. Neuheisel first apparently vowed to let the winner call the first play against USC next year (while whispering that the coaches will have the right to call an audible). Later, he said the winner of another auction for a trip to the UW game could stand next to him on the sidelines. "If you know my history at UDub, I need somebody next to me in case they want to throw debris,'' he is reported as saying. (By the way, I won't often link to message board posts, but this was already on the LA Times site, and it sounds so much like Neuheisel that I have little doubt he said those things).

--- Pete Thamel of The New York Times has this post speculating whether the change in commissioners at the Pac-10 as well as the departures of a few others who were against a college football playoff will change anything. His conclusion is the same one I voiced here yesterday --- that while it's popular to blame one guy for such things, commissioners are almost always just articulating the opinions of the presidents of the conference in which they serve. A new Pac-10 commissioner isn't suddenly going to change a whole lot if the presidents of the 10 schools don't want to go along. Hansen's an easy target, but this stuff is a lot more complicated than one person.

--- Jon Wilner's College Hotline has this look at the Pac-10 TV sked announced yesterday, pegging Sept. 13 as the best couch potato day of the season. He also says he plans to soon blog about potential replacements for Hansen. I like one that a poster mentioned --- Bill Moos. Karl Benson of the WAC is another logical one. Benson is a native of the state of Washington with deep ties to the area.

--- Scout.com has this look at the Washington Huskies from the perspective of the Oklahoma Sooners.

All for now.

Posted by Samurai I Am Awry

10:43 AM, Jun 10, 2008

UW -Oklahoma and USC-OSU are playing at the same time both nationally televised?!

If I was Cathy I would say "ACK!"

Posted by jh

10:44 AM, Jun 10, 2008

..."Washington will need to win at least one if not two of these games to save coach Tyrone Willingham’s job."...

...such negativity!...

Posted by Joe

10:56 AM, Jun 10, 2008

That article from Scout.com is a joke... they did as little research as possible, called Oregon a non-conference game, and couldn't spell our running back's name right.

Posted by oddone

11:35 AM, Jun 10, 2008

Why is there never any discussion of the merits of a national championship? I strongly oppose it for what I feel are good reasons. First, if there is a four- or eight-team tournament, selecting the teams that will compete is not much better than what we have now, and we know that the Pac10 will get lartgely screwed in the process. Second, there will no longer be great non-conference games, as top teams will avoid games that they are as likely to lose as to win. Finallly, the current system does serve the lower tier programs by getting those teams to a bowl game when they have good seasons. I have yet to read an interview of a credible person that opposes a championship, becasue it is in the interest of the media to have a big event that is wildly hyped.

Posted by jh

11:40 AM, Jun 10, 2008

...if the "strength of schedule" was returned to the computer rankings...then the top teams would be forced to play each other...(see basketball)...

Posted by MachiasMan

12:28 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Bob, any further word on Savannah?

Posted by caldawg

12:29 PM, Jun 10, 2008

I don't want a playoff games for reason I have stated on this blog in the past. As I Husky season ticket holder for 60 years what chance would I have of getting a ticket for a Championship game. Little an none. Plus there are economic considerations for the fans. Do I go to the first one or two play off games or bet it all that Huskies would make the BIG game. So what happens to the Rose Bowl etc attendance? The only people that really want a play off series are the people in a position to make more money and get to the game. And that isn't me.

12:40 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Machias -- Not really. There really won't be for a while. he broke his humerus and it will take 2-3 months to heal. Practice starts in August and I would assume we'll get a clearer picture then. For now, he just has to take some time to let it heal.

Posted by old timer

3:50 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Enjoyed the UCLA link. Have always enjoyed the rivalries with USC & UCLA best & it looks like the UCLA rivalry is going to get better. As far as the prediction that Willingham is finished at UW if they start out 0 & 3, it bothers me to hear people saying that, especially with such a young team in key areas. I'd rather they say he's finished if they play lousy football like they did last year. They could start out 0 & 3 & still have a pretty good year.

Posted by jh

4:38 PM, Jun 10, 2008

..."especially with such a young team in key areas."...

...unfortunately...they're a "young team" because in the three previous years to last...willingham's national recruiting rankings/ratings (Rivals.com) were 35th...36th...and 66th when he collaborated with Gilbertson in 2005...

Posted by MH

8:35 AM, Jun 11, 2008

Neuheisel did the same auction speech when he was up here too!! Run out the tunnel, call the first play, oh and he convinced The Glove to bring his boat up and take the winner to the game by boat!!! Gotta love his salesmanship!!

Sunday links

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Saturday notes

Huskies get one vote in AP poll, other notes

Husky nightcap, Friday edition