Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 19, 2008 3:38 PM

Recruiting roundtable

When I solicited questions a few weeks ago, a lot of you had various queries about recruiting.

I'm admittedly not a big expert in that area, focusing most of my attention on the current Husky football and basketball teams, so I tend to defer to those who are.

With that in mind, I decided to consult two recruiting gurus I've gotten to know through the years and ask them five questions that seemed to come up often from readers.

The two experts nice enough to participate are Chris Fetters, the Northwest recruiting analyst for Scout.com and also a frequent contributor to Dawgman.com, and Greg Biggins, a recruiting analyst for Rivals.com and StudentSports.com who specializes on the West Coast.

QUESTION ONE

Can you give us an overview of the quality of the talent in the state of Washington this year and how it compares to last year, which was regarded as one of the better in recent memory?

BIGGINS: It appears to be a down year compared to last year. Last year was one of the strongest years for in-state talent in recent memory with not just great depth, but some real star power at the top of the board. This year doesn't have that and the top tow or three players in the state may all be
underclassmen.

FETTERS: Honestly, I don't think you can even compare the two classes. 2008 saw 24 prospects from the state of Washington sign letters of intent with schools in BCS conferences. In 2009? I'm sensing that number might be half.

QUESTION TWO

Who would you rate as the top 5 prospects in the state this year, and if you like'd, can you say which of those do you think are must-gets for the Huskies?

FETTERS: Right now, Deandre Coleman (DT, Garfield), Allen Mooney (MLB, O'Dea), Nolan Washington (CB, Kennedy), Grant Enger (OT, O'Dea) and Chris Mastin (DE, Lewis and Clark) are my top-5 in-state. Gino Simone (WR, Skyline), Kyrell Hudson (WR-S Vancouver Evergreen), Jamal Atofau (S, Bellevue) and Kirby Moore (WR, Prosser) are players right on the cusp and have a great chance to be in the top-5 at the end of the year. (Editor's note --- A complete list of UW prospects including the players above can be found here).

As far as must-gets for the Huskies, I've always been of the belief that the top-5 in-state players should always be a priority for UW. Last year, that would have been Kavario Middleton (Lakes), Everette Thompson (Kennedy), Alameda Ta'amu (Rainier Beach), Jermaine Kearse (Lakes) and Senio Kelemete (Burien Evergreen). The Huskies targeted those five and landed them.

BIGGINS: I would have Deandre Coleman as the top player in the senior class, but after
that, there are a number of players all fairly close to each other. My next four, in no order, are Nolan Washington, Gino Simone, Grant Enger and Desmond Trufant (DB, Wilson).

QUESTION THREE

Speaking of the Huskies, any reason why they are the only Pac-10 school yet to get a commit? Could the uncertainty over the future of Tyrone Willingham have anything to do with it?

BIGGINS: It is a little surprising. They have offered a handful of in-state players, some of which aren't national level recruits, who I would expect to jump on the local offer. I have never heard any player mention being leery of Coach Willingham and his job security but the lack of even one commitment makes you wonder a bit.

FETTERS: Clearly, recruiting is happening earlier and earlier every year. But the Huskies' 2008 recruiting class didn't get a commit from outside the Northwest until the end of June 2007, and that was David Freeman from Inglewood, a program run by former Husky Charles Mincy. And then they didn't get their second out-of-Northwest commitment until basically August in QB Dominique Blackman --- and relatively speaking he was one of the later QB commitments. The top QB's typically watch where the other QB's commit --- very much like stacked up dominoes --- so each make their decision in turn.

In short --- sure it's surprising UW is the last to have a commitment in the Pac-10, but I certainly wouldn't jump to any grand conclusions about it. With around 17-20 scholarships to give at most, the Huskies' staff has to be very prudent about who they target. Now if they don't have any commitments by the end of August? Get back to me because something is definitely amiss.

QUESTION FOUR

Do you think Rick Neuheisel's presence at UCLA will give the Bruins a greater presence in the Northwest given his history at UW?

FETTERS: Absolutely, but maybe not for the reasons that are readily apparent. Sure, Neuheisel still has plenty of friends in the Seattle area. But his most important one may not be in the high school coaching ranks. Taylor Barton, who played under Neuheisel at Colorado and Washington, is now running camps with his father Greg in the Seattle area and is quickly becoming a major influence when it comes to how high school football prospects are nurtured and developed during the off-season. Barton is a Neuheisel disciple in every way, shape and form, and I would fully expect him to give his mentor a heads up on top prospects coming from the state, just like he would his other coaching contacts in the Pac-10.

The key is, Neuheisel is such a dogged recruiter and would trust Barton's recruiting eye implicitly. There's a reason UCLA has already offered Skyline freshman WR Kasen Williams, as well as sophomore QB Jake Heaps --- both connected to Barton through his football camps. Those players, as well as Skyline WR Gino Simone and Mitch Mathews --- a receiver prospect from the Portland area --- are all traveling to Westwood at the end of the month to take part in a UCLA one-day camp. Expect the number of area prospects heading south to camp with the Bruins to grow as long as Neuheisel is coaching there, especially since the 2010 and 2011 area classes appear to be strong.

BIGGINS: That will be interesting to see. I think the recruitment of QB Jake Heaps (a Class of 2010 recruit from Skyline) will tell this story. Rick may have a lot of friends in the Seattle area but I'm sure he has a lot of people who still harbor some bitter feelings against him as well. Heaps is an intriguing kid. He's a top five QB in the West right now, has a UCLA offer and played AAU ball with Rick's son Jerry. He also has ties with UW with his former head coach now the current Husky RB coach (Steve Gervais). It will be a very interesting recruitment to follow.

QUESTION FIVE

What kind of year is it for talent on the West Coast and are there any early rumblings about UW being involved with any significant players out-of-state?

BIGGINS: I think it's a pretty solid year out West. My feeling is every year, it's usually about the same, it just so happens some years, a certain position is stronger than others. There is good depth at QB and cornerback, and receiver, definitely a down year for DTs and offensive linemen.

Some players UW has offered and are involved with include TE Marlion Barnett, OL Michael Philipp, LB Michael Clay, RB Isi Sofelo, DL James Boyd, WR Diante Jackson, DL Jackson Powell, OL Stan Hasiak and OL Kevin Danser to name a few. (Editor's note --- Links are provided for all players above).

FETTERS: In my opinion it's an overall below average year, but the top-two out west --- QB Matt Barkley (Mater Dei, CA) and LB Manti Te'o (Punahou, HI) --- are as close to slam-dunk, sure-fire future collegiate All-Americans as it gets. They are for real. I'd say it's a good year out west for QB's, offensivelLine and linebackers. Other than that? Not super solid. As far as UW being involved with out-of-state players, it's still very early. They've offered a few players from Utah, like Xavier S'a-Filo, John Martinez, L.T. Filiaga and Latu Heimuli, and all of those players are really, really good. (Editor's note --- Links to the Utah players can be found here).

Other out-of-state players that Scout has highly rated include OL Michael Philipp (Arroyo Valley, CA), LB Jordan Barrett (Notre Dame, CA - same HS as current UW kicker Erik Folk), OL Stan Hasiak (Kapolei, HI), OL Charles Siddoway (Marist, OR) and TE Marlion Barnett (Santiago, CA). The Huskies have offered three kids from Bellarmine Prep in San Jose --- LB Michael Clay, OL Kevin Danser and QB Austyn Carta-Samuels. And a legacy, Alex Logan from Mullen HS in Denver - Alvin Logan's brother - is another player Washington has targeted.

Posted by KeiferNandez

4:08 PM, Jun 19, 2008

That's great to see that Taylor Barton's allegiance is to Slick Rick rather than to either of his alma maters.

Hmmm...rather than help my old team get back to being elite, I think I'll funnel recruits down to California for Rick!

I hope Barton never refers to himself as a Husky.

Posted by Jordan

4:33 PM, Jun 19, 2008

I think this is a tad bit overstated. You honestly think people listen to a guy running camps? Players go to camps all the time. I don't think this will ring true. And Taylor Barton of all people. Players listen to their parents more than anything and I think we have one of the most respected coaches by parents in the Pac-10 in Tyrone Willingham. The guy plays well with parents in the living room talking about academics and being well rounded, etc.

Also, it is a heck of a lot more important that you have a high school player's former coach than it is a guy whose camp they went to. As far as giving Slick Rick potential prospects names, do you honestly think he doesn't know every kid that he would want up here. Let UCLA come up here. And we'll go down to LA. Anyway it doesn't matter because Rick will be on probation by year 4 just as he always is.

This is one guys opinion.

Posted by jh

4:54 PM, Jun 19, 2008

...gentlemen...I have a few more questions:

...why does willingham offer to prospects that he has no possibility of getting?

...does he personally recruit...or is he still in the ND "let the assistants handle it" mode?

...why did All-American-Five Star QB recruit Matt Barkley go with Carrol/USC rather than with willingham?

...is golf a good way to meet football recruits?

...I understand that willingham is a smash hit with recruit's parents...as second choice...has he ever tried to recruit the mom and/or dad?

...y'all kissing ass of the Husky fans doesn't have anything to do with Scout/Rivals trying to sell subscriptions in the NW...does it?...

...get back to me... jh

Posted by uw76

4:55 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Good overview Bob, Thanks.

Posted by Jordan

4:59 PM, Jun 19, 2008

JH,

Grow Up.

Posted by SnohomishRick

5:03 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Bob could you ask them if they know why we haven't offered Smiley yet?

Posted by Dave

5:09 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Geez Keifer, take it easy on Barton. He is the last Husky QB to beat USC and is likely to remain so for a while to come yet. Also, he stood in there and took a horrible beating vs. UCLA behind an overwhelmed OL when we had no other QBs to put out there. That he is loyal to RN should be no surprise to anyone who has followed Husky football, considering the extreme lengths he had to go to in order to get from CU to UW in the first place, and the reasons he gave for doing so at the time.

Posted by Gabe

5:12 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Bob---Very nice article. Certainly made me feel good being reminded that TW went out and landed the top five recruits in WA in a very strong class. He deserves credit for that accomplishment. I do have a question for those in the know, or otherwise willing to venture an opinion. How many of those top five recruits will see significant playing time and are any of them to be redshirted? I assume Middleton and Ta'amu are slated to start or be on the field a lot. I have no sense of the rest. Also the view that Barton might become a pipeline to UCLA seems to be a bit of a stretch. I saw one poster swat that down a bit too emphatically and wonder if others agree. Troy Must Be Destroyed (ducks demolished)

Posted by twalker

5:27 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Players commit to coaches more than schools. They are connected with the coaches from day 1. They become connected with their school and teammates shortly thereafter.

If a player had a good experience, the bond with the coach, school and teammates will not fade.

Fetters just said that Barton has been developing a lot of talent from the NW. A similar answer could be given if Fetters was asked if the Bartons help UW's recruiting.

Barton is a Husky...don't hate him for liking his old coach.

Posted by Jordan

6:47 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Sorry Gabe if you thought I swat that down a bit too emphatically. I guess I will take it back if someone can name a recruit who said on signing day, "Yeah I really wanted to go to that school because this guy whose camp I went to last summer really liked the coach." I'm sorry but that just seems ridiculous that a kid would make a decision of that importance based on a camp coaches opinion. Of course the world is surprising so if I'm wrong and it has been said before please let me know. I think in the order of importance that would be number 88 out of 100 in a kid deciding where to play. Or I should say I hope it would be.

Posted by jh

6:57 PM, Jun 19, 2008

"...Players commit to coaches more than schools."...

...oh oh...

Posted by cinbengals

6:57 PM, Jun 19, 2008

good work bob enjoy your posts questions been asked for months why the huskies havent offered smiley from arkansas he visit the school awhile back whats going on with him if offered he will commit and ive heard his cousin is d.coleman out of washington

Posted by PeopleMuncher

7:09 PM, Jun 19, 2008

"I would fully expect him to give his mentor a heads up on top prospects coming from the state, just like he would his other coaching contacts in the Pac-10."

Whoa, where does the above say that Barton will be funneling NW recruits to UCLA?

Posted by good ol' george

7:14 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Whoever will be the quarterback of UCLA will be one of the best in the country. Whoever will be their running back will never see 100 yards in a game.

Posted by merseybeat

7:28 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Desmond from Wilson in Tacoma is a must get in my book
having seen him play that kid gots a 6th gear that i have never seen before

Posted by mutt

8:11 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Most good players with NFL dreams, are not committed to anything except television time....yes, playing for a good team to hi lite themselves! Like that saying in that so-so movie, build it and they will come, who wants to play for a loser program other than, alot of that I must say.. Well see!

Posted by doug

8:20 PM, Jun 19, 2008

LIERONE HAS NO RECRUITS

Posted by Jordan

8:53 PM, Jun 19, 2008

People Muncher,

It doesn't. And even if it did say that it ain't going to happen. I'll say it again Neuheisal doesn't need Taylor Barton to tell him which kids he needs to recruit in WA.

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:18 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Bob,
Thanks for the update.

Boise Truth,
Thanks for the link on Kearse.

Anybody see Kearse playing next year? I don't, but I am no expert. Anyone?

Posted by huskyfan

2:42 AM, Jun 20, 2008

i love that UW grabbed Lakes standouts jermaine kearse and kavario middleton those kids are tremendous athletes but why didn't the huskies offer teammate koreye dixon (EWU commit)? i've seen this kid play he's absolutely amazing, kind of reminds me of reggie bush or a devin hester the way this kid makes people miss.i find it hard to believe he's only going to eastern washington, he's VERY underrated, if you ask me i'd say he was the best athlete on the team but that's just an opinion. this kid is a legit pac-10 caliber player they really should have added him to the mix. somebody should do something to get him at the dub within the next two seasons. if not i hope you guys can follow his career. i can see this kid getting drafted in the first 3 rounds in about 4 years..

Posted by jdawg

6:22 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Bob, this is exactly what there should be more of on this blog! Please have these guys come back maybe every 2-3 weeks and check back with all of us on Husky recruiting!
Barton better no be pushing kids to UCLA or he will wear out his welcome real quick in Seattle. He should be pro-UW (especially since he is a Husky) or non-biased.

Posted by onewoodwacker

6:27 AM, Jun 20, 2008

huskyfan -

Saw him too - great player!! Another one that got away was Oliver Henry Bethel HS QB. 6-6, 225lbs, 4.8 speed, can throw the ball 65yrds flatfooted!! Great arm strength (threw the shot 53ft.). Got started late in recruiting due to the death (cancer) of his mom who passed the day before his 4th game of his Sr. yr.(went to Todd Beamer and threw for 450 yrds and 4 tds I believe).

Ended up at CWU. I tried my best to get him to the Dub, then went to Boise State but it was just too late. Watch his career at Central Washington - Gonna be a great one.

Posted by onewoodwacker

6:46 AM, Jun 20, 2008

What do schools like USC, Arkansas, Mississippi etc see in Eric Smiley that Ty and the Dub doesn't see? Why no offer for this kid yet?

Posted by BoiseTruth

7:02 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Onewood,

Could you please explain more about what you did at UW, and BSU to get a player into their programs. Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but I'm interested learning more. It seems like you mentioned that you were a coach, were you working in that capacity? Thanks

Posted by onewoodwacker

8:33 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Boise - Coached at Sky View (UT), Franklin Pierce and Bethel. Little bro played for Erickson at Idaho then with the Hawks. Made friends over the years. Avid HS football fan. Best Washington State HS player I ever saw - hands down - Laywer Milloy.

Posted by onewoodwacker

8:39 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Boise -

I go thru Randy Hart. Get good game film, start early in the process. If you are going to bring a kid to the Husky camp from out of state, contact coach before bringing them in, make sure the film is in their hands before camp. Helps them (Husky Coaches) to not have to travel out of state to see someone. Make sure grades are in order!!

8:43 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Trust me --- JH and I have no personal conversations (I have responded to private e-mails he has sent me as I do for any reader) and HuskyFan, you are free to post that comment as many places as you'd like. No one speaks for the Seattle Times on this blog but those of us from the Times and there has never been any censoring of thoughts on Willingham, pro or con.

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:33 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Thanks Onewood, I really enjoyed that info.. Appreciate you sharing that with us. Keep up the good work, and go find us another Milloy.

Posted by jh

10:21 AM, Jun 20, 2008

..."JH and I have no personal conversations (I have responded to private e-mails he has sent me as I do for any reader)"...

...well... if that sentence doesn't hold two diametrically opposed statements...I don't know what does...

10:33 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Well, we will be having no more, that's for sure. Again, all conversation with JH will now be on here as he has taken the liberty of not quoting me accurately on the ones that we have had.

Posted by jh

11:00 AM, Jun 20, 2008

...yea...that is a totally inaccurate quote...

...it's not the inaccuracy that bothers bc..it's the accuracy...

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:03 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Bob,
Just wondering if you have heard from any of your LA reporter friends about how soon there mght be some publicized movement by the NCAA on the USC investigation thing, regarding Bush etc.

Thanks!

11:14 AM, Jun 20, 2008

I agree completely with JH in that I'm really bothered by the accuracy of that statement. Specifically, bothered that I ever tried responding with JH to his private e-mails. I've learned my lesson.

As to Guest --- I have heard nothing concrete on that and I don't think anyone knows for sure. It's a tough one for the NCAA to get at because the Bush side isn't cooperating, and doesn't have to since the NCAA doesn't have the power to make them do so. That's one area where this case is different from those impacting UW. Schools have to respond to specific charges as do coaches who are employed (or wish to be employed again). Reggie Bush has no incentive to cooperate.

Posted by jh

11:21 AM, Jun 20, 2008

...don't 'ya hate to see a grown man cry...

11:25 AM, Jun 20, 2008

...of laughter.

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:47 AM, Jun 20, 2008

Thanks Bob.

Posted by Gabe

11:59 AM, Jun 20, 2008

I too am interested in F Guest's inquiry about the NCAA investigation. Your response suggests NCAA will bail for lack of process to require Bush and material witnesses to provide evidence. This seems to me to be an easy cop out. Does the NCAA share in t.v. revenues? Does it have any real interest in going after USC and Reggie, two of its most profitable products? It appears the NCAA has a built -in conflict of interest. It would be useful to know whether there is a Chinese Wall between their investigatory and enforcement arms and the NCAA's corporate operation. There should be, but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't.

While NCAA may be limited in what it can do vis a vis departed players, it can certainly access USC's internal records and put investigators out on the street to develop evidence from the ground up. That is, they can get to the bottom of this without the active cooperation of the former player, who has an incentive to lie anyway. Most cases are probably developed without the player's cooperation or testimony. Isn't that what happened when UW got stung? Reggie also violated scholarship terms if he was being paid to play, and USC has an obligation to pursue that. The whole thing smells real bad to me. Fish rot from the head down. It is too convenient for the NCAA to just bail. All this just further demonstrates that Troy Must Be Destroyed (ducks demolished)

Posted by Husky19

12:06 PM, Jun 20, 2008

JH, you are wrong again. An email response does not constitute a conversation so Bob is absolutely correct in that he has not had any "conversations" with you.

Are you on this site just to antagonize people?

Posted by jh

12:07 PM, Jun 20, 2008

...bobbi's ingenuous retort "of laughter" would have "fit" if I had previously stated "don't you hate to see a grown man DIE"...unfortunately...I said "don't you hate to see a grown man CRY"...the pithy comment "of laughter" is embarrassing for a man that makes his living...writing...

Posted by jh

12:09 PM, Jun 20, 2008

...husky19...how am I doing?...

Posted by huskyfan

12:59 PM, Jun 20, 2008

onewoodwacker -

yes i've also seen him play and he's good and has the size of a D-1 qb. I just don't understand how the huskies could pass up on an athlete like koreye dixon. a few other athletes in the pierce area i feel didn't get enough recognition was a.j. wilson from curtis, dominick davis and tony thomas from lakes, and the kid from shelton who i believe rushed for nearly 300 on lakes and close to 2,000 on the season

Posted by onewoodwacker

1:10 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Gabe - Loved the post. Those are the questions the NCAA needs to answer; In fact here's the avenue to get your answers directly from the NCAA.

Information relating to potential violations is received via telephone, letter, in person and Internet e-mail.

Telephone: 317-917-6222
Enforcement Staff

E-mail: dprice@ncaa.org

U.S. Mail:
NCAA
Enforcement Staff
P.O.Box 6222
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6222

Posted by onewoodwacker

1:33 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Huskyfan -

I think the last big name RB from the state was Paul Arnold ( kind of a bust - cost Jim Lambright his job when it was reported that he (Paul) would not come to the Dub if Lambright was the coach there).

Luke Kravitz was recruited as a FB. This year we took Demitrius Bronson out of Kentwood. In 2007 we took Brandon Yakaboski out of Mt. Si. In 2005 JR Hasty out of Bellevue, 2002 Shelton Sampson.

We took a few more players over the years (Nate Williams, Jonny Kirton, Anthony Russo etc) who were RB's in HS but were not gonna play that position once they got to the Dub.

More ofter than not we just don't see GREAT High School RB's from this State.

I must admit though, I'm REALLY hoping to see Paul Homer lead block for Luke Kravitz a few times this year on some old fashion Smash Mouth power running plays.

Posted by huskyfan

1:42 PM, Jun 20, 2008

onewoodwacker-

come to think of it you do have a point. the rb's in the state of washington haven't really been very productive at the college level. i'm hoping all that changes over the next couple of years with demetrius bronson and johri fogerson. speaking of russo, coach dave miller the head coach of lakes said that dixon could have been the next russo at the dub but with more athleticism and would've been a lot more productive early on then russo was. on the other hand i'm excited to see what kavario middleton and kearse do as freshman

Posted by Formerly Guest

1:46 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Huskyfan and OWW,

Do you guys project Fogerson ultimately staying at RB for UW? If so, why?

Thanks.

Posted by huskyfan

2:07 PM, Jun 20, 2008

guest-

yes i do believe he will be the running back for uw. he haz the size and the speed that the huskies need in the backfield, he had an amazing game during the state chamionship against skyline. i think that is only a matter of time before he becomes the feature back for the huskies

Posted by onewoodwacker

2:16 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Formerly Guest -

No, I do not see Fogerson playing RB at the Dub. Scout listed him as a Safety recruit while Rivals listed him as a Athlete recruit.

My money goes on the Safety position as are depth chart for FS and SS looks pretty thin. I think you'll see him Red-Shirt this year, get to 6-2, 215lbs and compete for a starting Strong Safety job in 2010.

Posted by onewoodwacker

2:19 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Sorry - meant "our" not "are". Trying to type and talk at the same time!!

Posted by BoiseTruth

2:26 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Hey guys, have you noticed the video clips on the incoming recruits at gohuskies. It's a nice feature. Here's Fogerson's clip as an example.

Posted by Dave

2:27 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Strange that Oliver Henry did not get a look from WSU. I can understand UW passing since they already had Blackman, took Leonard as their "insurance" guy and were also involved with Prince up til the end, but it would seem to me WSU needs all the help they can get esp. establishing a west side recruiting presence.

I lack onewood's football knowledge, but I too was thinking Johri might turn Safety like Nate Williams did. It'll be interesting to see where he lines up this fall.

Twice in the last decade (Arnold, Stewart) this state has produced a guy who was regarded as the best HS running back in the nation, so for a state of 6.4M people I think we do all right in that department. Going back a few more years, Corey Dillon was a local too.

Posted by BoiseTruth

2:33 PM, Jun 20, 2008

video not working?
Sorry guys, I guess the video gets blocked somehow when you link. Oh well, you know where to look if you want to see the new guys in action.

Posted by class of '94 lakes lancer

2:35 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Does anyone know how we can get an article on Eastern Washington's Koreye Dixon? Would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks

Posted by Formerly Guest

2:37 PM, Jun 20, 2008

OWW and Huskyfan,

Thanks for your thoughts. My own guess is that Fogerson ends up on the defensive side of the ball.

He was dominant at RB in that championship game, but I thought he didn't look all-star fast or quick, and he ran pretty high up. I don't think that style would work at the next level, although he was able to bulldoze pretty much all of Skyline's team.

Again, it is just a guess. I am glad we got him.

Posted by Dave

2:48 PM, Jun 20, 2008

re Koreye Dixon, you have to remember UW brought in 4 other receiver types (Kearse, Bruns and the Polks) last year all of whom were pretty universally regarded as much higher rated recruits than KD. The possible exception would be J Polk, but even he is bigger than KD and also is the fastest kid in the NW this year. So between that and the fact we were at the scholi limit anyhow, it's hard to see how we could've fit him in. Plus it would have driven the "short guy haters" on here even crazier!

Posted by Formerly Guest

2:50 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Dave,
So Dixon played WR? from the earlier post, I thought maybe he played RB?

Posted by Gabe

2:57 PM, Jun 20, 2008

1wood--thanks for the info on NCAA contacts. I may do a little digging around on how their organized. Realisitcally not much we can do to motivate them to pursue USC. I also wonder what role PAC-10 may have if there are USC violations. All this stuff is new to me, but I'm suspicous. Troy Must Be Destroyed (ducks demolished)

Posted by Dave

3:03 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Re: HS football, all I know is what I read in the papers and on the recruiting sites. Dixon may have been carrying the ball for Lakes this year, but everyone had him as a WR prospect and at his size that makes sense. Maybe onewood or huskyfan or the Lakes alum saw him more than you and I did. The only HS game I saw last fall was O'Dea-Skyline. In general, every once in a while I might go to a Metro game or a Kingco game, but that's it.

Posted by Formerly Guest

3:18 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Dave,
Thanks. Only game I saw myself was O'dea-Skyline. I follow Metro in the papers, that is it.

Posted by jh

3:22 PM, Jun 20, 2008

...135 days since 2009 recruiting started and not one willingham commitment in-state or out of state...USC has 11...but what do they know...

Posted by BoiseTruth

3:39 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Here's a story about Dixson when he was being recruited.

Posted by uw76

3:42 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Forget JH. He's a belligerent and antagonistic clown. Goes by the moniker jim/redondobeach on the forum and is always obnoxious.

Posted by jh

3:54 PM, Jun 20, 2008

......"135 days since 2009 recruiting started and not one willingham commitment in-state or out of state...USC has 11...but what do they know"...

well...compared with the daisy chain y'all are having with willingham losing 7 out of every 10 games over the last three years...I guess I am belligerent and antagonistic...but I would prefer accurate and truthful...as none of you have ever challenged my facts or opinion...

Posted by Dave

3:54 PM, Jun 20, 2008

nice links BT. If you look closely at his numbers from your site there, most of his rushing came in one game against Clover Park. That suggests to me he was mainly a receiver who occasionally got the ball on end arounds or the "fly sweep," and in that particular game Coach Miller had some success with a play and kept going back to it. He didn't have giant receiving numbers but that isn't too surprising on a HS team with Kearse and Middleton sharing the ball.

Posted by huskyfan

4:02 PM, Jun 20, 2008

dixon was a slot receiver, corner and return specialist. i saw dixon and polk together at a barton special camp at lewis and clark in oregon and from the looks of it dixon was the one teaching every body a little something..and his stats aren't accurate. according to his coaches he had 700 receiving yards and over 300 rushing and over 300 in return yards this past season..

Posted by BoiseTruth

4:06 PM, Jun 20, 2008

I agree Dave. When I looked at it I thought fly sweep, but I didn't know enough about their offense to know for sure.

Posted by huskyfan

4:12 PM, Jun 20, 2008

i just think a lot of peopl under estimate the skill and talent of dixon from lakes..

Posted by uw76

4:50 PM, Jun 20, 2008

JH aka jim/redondo/beach aka Jim Harrigan, whatever you choose to go by at the moment, no one is answering you as your opinion is belligerent and antagonistic and who wants to engage someone that is so narcissistic. You're kinda person non grata dude.

Posted by jh

5:32 PM, Jun 20, 2008

,,,ouch....that really hurts from a person that believes a failed coach should lead the team he "loves"...as I said earlier, daisy chain boy, I've never asked for a response from you or anybody...so keep your opinion to yourself...williingham apologist...

Posted by Dave

5:40 PM, Jun 20, 2008

what I can't figure out is this: what kind of fool puts so much of his personal info out on the internet, then goes out of his way to antagonize dozens of fanatic strangers?

Posted by Formerly Guest

5:50 PM, Jun 20, 2008

JH,

It seems to me you have been asking for responses. In fact your 3:54pm post begs for one. None of us have ever challenged your opinion or facts. I agree.

I think the reason is that no one really seems to care about them. Your style can be grating, and in a moment of weakness, someone replies. But that is the point, isn't it?

This seems to be a blog for fans of Husky football. You seem a poor fit. Your monotonous agenda seems to differ and to be twofold:

1) complain about TW
2) Get attention

Both are fair game, and your right to do.

Most of us here are passionate about Husky football, and thus a bit edgy. This makes us a perfect target for your provocative shenanigans.

I don't fully know your deal, but you sure come across like someone small, who cannot tolerate being constantly ignored in their real life. Thus to make up for that, it seems to work to come here and exert control over others by trying to be disruptive and get the attention you cannot get elsewhere.

I am cool with it. We all have needs. Better to harmlessly to screw with us here than to have to resort to arson or nuisance crime in a public setting, in order to get the attention you are looking for. It is safer for us all, both you and the rest of us.

Yes, I realize this post will only further reinforce your tactics. Perhaps it will even encourage you to spend the next few days making bogus posts under my username.

But now that we have changed the direction of this thread to be about you -which seems to be your goal- your self-esteem can reinflate again and we can all go back to discussing football for the next few weeks.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by Jordan

6:25 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Guest,

The question is really which way is JH small that he needs so much attention?

Sorry Bob couldn't help it.

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:20 PM, Jun 20, 2008

Formerly Guest - We somehow have been trained to look at 40 times and strength numbers. When evaluating a RB 40 time is important but not as important as his shuttle time.

Shuttle drill shows a short sight into the start, stop, start speed of a RB. Most College Recruits can run good times going straight ahead. Most 40 times are important for CB, WR, DE, TE, LB, but RB have to hit the hole at full speed as soon as the hole is there. They usually don't get much of a head start. 0-10 yrd speed is critical.

They're ability to change direction (foot work), avoid the big hit, hold onto the ball. Thats exactly why I have NEVER been sold on Wing-T running backs (iJR Hasty).

That offense is predicated on ball faking, mis-direction, basically hiding the ball from the Defense - most of the time the defense is so out of position from fakes that the RB who finally ends up with the ball has no one left in front of him at the time he gets the hand-off. Not much ability is required when no one is there to tackle you.

I watched Brandon Yakaboski in Summer ball before his Sr. Yr. This kid is a Rb now and don't be surprised to see him getting plenty of carries this year. He just has to stay healthy. He is the real deal though.

Posted by Formerly Guest

8:28 PM, Jun 20, 2008

OWW,

Thanks for your thoughts. Makes sense to me.

I get the sense many other folks here on this board ae excited about Yakaboski as well.

Posted by huskyfan

8:58 PM, Jun 20, 2008

do you all think that k dixon should transfer from EWU and come to the UW if the opportunity arose?
before last season started there where all these talks about D-1 players across the northwest and dixon was one of those names. i read and article on this kid and he mentioned that he grew up a dawg fan and it would've been a dream come true to play for the UW. he also mentioned though in another article that he shot himself in the foot by having low grades (similar to middleton) and that if he had an opportunity to transfer to the huskies that he would be honored. i would really love to see this kid in the purple and gold within the next year or two. what is everyone's thoughts on this possible situation?

Posted by doug

10:32 PM, Jun 20, 2008

......why the jh hate....he is just educating....and he owned bobbie........

Posted by class of '94 lakes lancer

1:32 AM, Jun 21, 2008

You can see highlights of dixon if you have a Scout.com login.. If not i have a password you could use..

Posted by class of '94 lakes lancer

1:34 AM, Jun 21, 2008

And I think yes, he should transfer if it's been his dream since he was a kid. I don't think it would hurt anybody one bit, it could only help.

Posted by jh

3:57 PM, Jun 21, 2008

...this post remind one of of the tuxedo clad "gentry" having tea... even though their table was sliding across the deck of the Titanic....because of willingham...y'all are looking at a 4 win season...if he makes it past the Oklahoma game...keep sipping gentlemen...

...I'm not the enemy...and I guess you could say neither is willingham...the enemy is the "fan" that accepts mediocrity in a once valued football program...enjoy...

Posted by Andre

6:02 AM, Jun 27, 2008

I would think that going into July without ONE commit that Ty might spend a little less time playing golf and a little more time recruting. I know the pro out there and he says Ty plays 18 hole almost daily. What's up with that?

Posted by TySucks

6:40 PM, Jul 22, 2008

When is Washington going to get rid of this imposter of a football coach. No recruits when every other team in the country thats worth anything is stacking them up. That's pathetic. Can't blame ND for getting rid of him.

Jul 22, 08 - 03:59 PM
Media guides released

Jul 22, 08 - 01:09 PM
Camp schedule set

Jul 22, 08 - 12:06 PM
Lappano: "We know we have to win football games"

Jul 22, 08 - 09:45 AM