Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 12, 2008 3:37 PM

Juan Garcia story on ESPN.com

Juan Garcia is the focus of the featured story on ESPN.com's college football page today, an article written by former Seattle P-I writer Ted Miller.

Miller, who now covers the Pac-10 for ESPN.com, writes that Garcia is "cautiously optimistic'' about making a return to the field this season.

I actually talked with UW offensive line coach Mike Denbrock a couple of days ago and he used that exact same phrase in talking about Garcia's possible return, noting that the first medical evaluation last month indicated that the foot was showing some signs of healing.

"It's one of those injuries where unfortunately, at any point during this process, there could be a setback for him,'' Denbrock said. "So I think cautiously optimistic is a good way to describe it. We couldn't be happier with the report we got back from the specialist and the things he told us as far as the healing process moving forward.''

Denbrock said part of the task now will be to keep Garcia from trying to move the process ahead too quickly.

"It's going to be really important as time goes along and he puts more and more weight on his foot that he doesn't try to push the envelope too far,'' Denbrock said. "In the rehab room he's a maniac and he will do whatever is necessary to do. But he has to make sure he doesn't set himself back by doing something foolish.''

I'll have more from Denbrock in a later post.

Posted by mikey

3:49 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Most interesting part:
"We know that if we don't win, he's probably out," Garcia said. "We have to win because we're sick and tired of losing. That, and we stress it with the younger guys that they don't want to go through a coaching change. That's misery."

Posted by Gabe

5:00 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Bob, don't mean to be completely dense on this one, but would the rules permit an injury waiver to allow Juan to play as a seventh year senior? Disregarding what he has said about that to date. Troy Must Be Destroyed (ducks demolished)

Posted by jimmorajrrulz

7:12 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Jim Mora Junior would have found a way to rehab Garcia and get him 100% before the season began. Yet another reason why Jim Mora Junior is number 1!

Posted by better duck

7:12 PM, Jun 12, 2008

gabe must be gay

Posted by srkboy23

7:53 PM, Jun 12, 2008

I don't Juan Garcia to come back too soon if it could potentially ruin his pro career.

Posted by duckd

9:58 PM, Jun 12, 2008

didnt this guy like assault some cops or something before uw? he isnt a role model he is scumz

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:05 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Nice work by Mr. Garcia.

Posted by phinney ridge dawg

11:07 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Football is months away, and *uck fans are trolling this blog? What are you so worried about? Your insecurity must be eating away at you if taking pot shots at injured players is the only thing that makes you feel better.

Posted by better duck

5:01 AM, Jun 13, 2008

oh..and gabe is gay

beavers must be beat

Posted by Beaver Nation

5:46 AM, Jun 13, 2008

3 in a row, duckies!!!!!

Belloti is going home crying.

Posted by BoiseTruth

7:14 AM, Jun 13, 2008

Arizona State Preview -

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

Posted by OlyDawg

8:22 AM, Jun 13, 2008

Donatell is an animal. This is the kind of focus and passion that has been missing from the UW defensive staff for years. I think he'll be the piece that puts us over the top and into a bowl game this year.

Posted by pattapit

9:05 AM, Jun 13, 2008

I put an O (*ucks sticker) in the urinal at work. Nothing gives me better satisfaction than peeing all over it. Ok maybe the WSU sticker right next to it.

9:18 AM, Jun 13, 2008

Gabe --- It would be a longshot but Juan could apply for a seventh year --- a couple of guys have gotten them --- but he says he doesn't want to do it and no reason to think he'll change his mind now, especially after his injury. I don't think it's anything anyone's thinking about.

Posted by Reality Check

10:25 AM, Jun 13, 2008

hey nike whores (i.e. -- duck fans and players)

Can you at least try to have a LITTLE class? Taking shots at Garcia is below most normal sports fans. And you obviously are way below the normal sports fan.

1) Yes, Garcia had a spotty past. And he made a choice to turn his life around, attend college, and be a good guy. He is a wonderful role model for troubled kids -- showing that you can escape a bad situation and make a future for yourself by making better choices and working hard. It's actually a really feel good story and one I wish you'd take the time to read before taking brainless pot shots at him. (Oops. Sorry about that. I forgot reading is beyond most of your types.)
2) No matter how much you hate a rival school, the line is drawn when a guy gets hurt. I wish you morons would get that. Much as I hate everything about whoregon, I actually felt bad when dixon went down. It's too bad you guys don't have enough class to know where to draw the line between rivalry and just being crappy human beings.

I could go on, but what's the point. whoregon fans are the worst in all of college sports -- always have been, always will be.

Posted by Husky19

11:07 AM, Jun 13, 2008

Reality,

FINALLY something we agree on 100%.

Duck fans are the worse. No class, not humble whether they win or lose.

You gotta always remember that there is always someone bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, richer than you. Best to be humble.

Posted by Reality Check

2:40 PM, Jun 13, 2008

Husky19,

Hey, we're on the same team... just a different take on what plays to call from time to time!

I do hope the Dawgs just bury those loud mouthed, vile subhumans to the south. Any chance eugene is built on an ancient volcano crater or something? It would give me something to dream about!

:-)

Posted by naterob4

7:21 PM, Jun 13, 2008

I remember last time I was in Eugene, I was in the bathroom, I was wearing my Tui jersey from the Rose Bowl, and I hear some kid say udub sucks!! after I was finished I turned around and the kid was like 10years old....I'mn 26 but I really felt like knocking the kid out!!! The sad thing is the guys dad was right there laughing thinking it was funny...Oregon fans=ZERO CLASS...I can't wait to get down to Eugene on Aug.30th and put the smackdown on all those loser Duck Fans!!!!

I'll admit I was happy when Dixon went down, because that was the END of there National title hopes!!!!

Jun 13, 08 - 02:52 PM