Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 28, 2008 5:30 PM

Hasty, Murchison gone for good UPDATED

The mercurial Husky football careers of running back J.R. Hasty and cornerback Jordan Murchison are over, a school official confirmed today.

Neither is listed on the team's 2008 roster, which was unveiled on-line today, as neither had their scholarship renewed for next year. The deadline to inform athletes whether their scholarships will be renewed is July 1. There is no chance that either will return.

Hasty said in a phone interview this afternoon that he was told of the decision a few weeks ago.

Hasty had been suspended during spring practice for missing some off-season conditioning drills and said Willingham's stated reason to him for not allowing him to stay with the team was that "he didn't really trust me, I guess.''

Hasty said he hopes to continue playing and that a lower-division school such as Central Washington, where he would be immediately eligible, is an option. He would have two years of eligibility remaining at lower-division school. He would have to sit out this year if he transferred to a D-I school and would have just one year left.

"I'd like to play on somewhere else and take it (football) as far as I can,'' he said.

Hasty, a standout at Bellevue High, was the highlight player of Willingham's first recruiting class at UW in 2005, but he never made an impact. He redshirted his first season in 2005, was academically ineligible in 2006, and then played sparingly last season getting 18 yards on six carries.

Hasty said he will look back at his UW career with disappointment, feeling like he never really had a chance to show what he could do --- his Husky career will end with 18 yards on six carries, all last season.

He briefly quit the team at mid-season last year saying he felt he wasn't getting a fair opportunity, returned after some talks with Willingham, but never played again. He was suspended for most of spring football for disciplinary reasons, saying then and today that he was punished for not attending some off-season conditioning drills. He was briefly returned to the team midway through spring practice, then put on what he termed a "temporary leave of absence'' for the rest of spring drills.

"That (missing the conditioning drills) is pretty much what it was,'' he said. "That and the stuff that happened in the past, that's what it was.''

He said he hoped to return to the team this year, saying "I was ready to come back, but it wasn't in my power or control.''

He said one of his biggest frustrations is that his situation wasn't resolved earlier. He said his parents urged him to leave for good last fall but he wanted to try to make it work at UW. He is the son of former WSU defensive back and longtime NFL veteran James Hasty.

"I just wanted to stay because I felt like the team was family and this was my home state,'' he said. "But that didn't work out.''

He said he continued to hold out hope through the spring before finally being told a few weeks ago.

"I have no idea why they waited that long,'' he said. "That's the big thing that hurts. That boggles my mind. But it is what it is and I guess they had to do what they had to do.''

Hasty was expected to contend for a backup job at running back this fall if he had returned to the team.

He scored a state-record 50 touchdowns as a senior at Bellevue and was regarded as one of the top recruits in the state, choosing UW over Penn State, among others.

He said he doesn't necessarily regret coming to UW.

"I could talk about the 'what ifs?' but that's not really going to do me any good now,'' he said. "This is my home state. This is where I wanted to be. I just have to turn the page for the next chapter.''

A school spokesman said both players were academically eligible and Hasty said he also was told academics weren't an issue. He said one of his options could be to stay at UW and finish his degree though he is most likely to continue playing.

"I would like to stay somewhere around here and play right away and get as much game film as I can of myself,'' he said.

Murchison ran into legal trouble last August, arrested for assault and domestic violence, that had him suspended from the team for most of the season. He returned to play sparingly and was injured for most of spring football. He was expected to contend for a backup job this fall. Murchison was a JC transfer the Community College of San Francisco, redshirting in 2006 due to injuries. It is uncertain what his future plans may entail.

One other change revealed on the roster is Torry Myers replacing Anthony Gabriel as the team's graduate assistant coach working with the defense.

Posted by Jordan

5:59 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Wish both of them good luck. Hope they are successful wherever they land. Seems like with Hasty this should have happened a long time ago but I think Ty wanted to give him another chance. I don't know the guy and this is very presumptuous but it always seemed like he thought the world owed him something. Like he would get the starting job at running back because he was entitled to it. Or at least that is how it seemed. All I have ever heard from him was in the media and obviously the media can be inaccurate.

Posted by TurbineSeaplane

6:16 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Thank goodness this distraction is over with.

Thank you guys, but that's enough of the "experiment".

Posted by Kyle Johnson

6:24 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Willingham is not be best communicator. It is time to end this coaching experiment.

Posted by Tey

7:26 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Its good to see Ty give Murchison a chance to finish the year and then let him transfer. No room for suspect character.

Paul Wulff on the other hand.....

Posted by revolution

7:28 PM, Jun 28, 2008

What do you expect from a coach that failed Communications 101?

Posted by seppy

7:28 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Maybe he can join Montgomery and Jones in the sinkhole. That would a heckuva backfield

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:31 PM, Jun 28, 2008

We can spend all the time we wish speculating the career of JR Hasty or we can simply accept the fact that he's gone. I prefer the later.

My opinion is; I get a little upset that the Head Coach punishes a kid for not participating in the "OPTIONAL" off season workouts, while he goes to North Carolina to play golf and his team is in failure mode. Not to mention the fact that he is WAY behind in his recruiting.

Just my opinion!!

Posted by Jim Bob Joe

7:32 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Hasty was a product of the Bellevue system. A good high school running back that thought everything would be handed to him at UW.

He thought he was just going to show up and be the man. Tyrone should have cut him loose a long time ago. Nothing but a distraction.

Posted by Purple Power

7:40 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Hasty gets kicked off the team for skipping voluntary workouts.

Tyrone skips the voluntary coaches tour because of personal conflicts and still pulls in $1.5 million.

Tyrone is a failure because he is a total hypocrite. Do as I say and not as I do.

What do the players think when Tyrone preaches consistency and championship football?

They think he is a total fraud because in his entire career he has never been consistent or produced a championship caliber football team.

Posted by JA Hippy

8:01 PM, Jun 28, 2008

I am pretty sure that Ty has kept a lot of the attitude problems out of the media. All of Hasty's talk about never getting a chance rings pretty hollow. No reason for Ty to bury a star running back unless he is more poison than he is worth.

My guess would be that once he got on the field with D1 athletes it became clear that he was not going to be a favorite for the number 1 job here and that was not easy for JR to swallow. And then he handled it badly.

Ty gets criticized for recruiting poorly but not for reading and building character. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by kdawg

8:08 PM, Jun 28, 2008

I hope J.R. and Jordan follow-up somewhere they desire to be - playing football or otherwise. No Ty doesn't seem to be a great communicator at times, but it also seems fairly obvious that these two players were a distraction. They have their agency to choose a direction in life, and I only hope that they learned something to the point that they will be an asset wherever they go.

Posted by Shogun

8:08 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Ty was attending a charity golf event in NC. What noble activity was JR involved in that cause him to miss workouts.

Posted by gooeyduck

8:26 PM, Jun 28, 2008

good riddance on both of them...this ain't pullman...where you wear your arrest record as a badge og honor...

Posted by blame others

8:44 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like hasty blames other for his problems. Wouldnt want a guy like that on my team!!!!!!

Posted by NorCalDawgFan

8:52 PM, Jun 28, 2008

With a lot of young backs and receivers, those guys should only be focused on learning as much as they can and being ready to perform. If Hasty made as little as one comment around these guys that he should be starting or didn't get a chance, etc., it is one time to many. There's no room for complainers among young players that want to be stars. If he thinks he is a start, he can try out with the Cowboys and open his mouth to T.O.

Posted by weownyou

9:13 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Your making fun of Pullman when your team has been in the SEATTLE media more than anything since 2000? Wow, it continues to blow my mind how arrogant Husky fans are. Didn't you guys have the nickname probation nation? You people made the crime around USC look like nothing! And your bashing on Pullman? You make me laugh cause your soooo stupid.

Posted by GenghisDawg

9:33 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Probation Nation was created by a coug posing as a journalist.

Suddenly Seniors was also created by a coug posing as a much better journalist.

If only the media reported what actually happens in pullman. Its amazing that Dennis Erickson, Mike Price, Kelvin Sampson, Ryan Leaf, Jason Gesser only develop character and/or other flaws once they have left pullman.

UW will always be the top university in state. WSU coogs will always share the common bond of being angry bitter UW rejects.

Fact of life

Posted by srkboy23

9:42 PM, Jun 28, 2008

WSU hasn't run a cleaner football program than UW. The only reasons UW gets more attention in the media is because:

a) No one gives a sh*t about WSU outside of Pullman.
b) WSU is in Pullman, in the middle of nowhere.
c) Even with criminals, WSU still can't win

I can't really blame WSU for allowing criminals to play on their football team, because without them, WSU would become the punch-line to every Pac-10 football joke.

Posted by ScrewClayBennett

10:15 PM, Jun 28, 2008

I had high hopes for JR but Willingham is a disciplinarian. However I can not believe that he did not get more playing time seriously. Rankin was not that good. Why did this guy not get carries. At least give him 100 to 200 carries see what he can do. 6 carries for 18 yards for a career? Its not because he sucks its because he was not given a chance.

Posted by Kasbah

10:21 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Because he did not show the committment other tailbacks on the roster did.

Posted by weownyou

10:21 PM, Jun 28, 2008

So I guess that big research article about the 2000 Husky football team done by the Seattle Times meant nothing? If you deny that, than you are the dumbest SOB's ever and I've lost even more respect for Husky fans...which is a hard feat to do at this point.

And as for the fact of life point? Are you kidding me? Really, its a fact of life huh? Have you experienced it? Didn't think so. Just shows that arrogance that I'm talking about.

I can't come up with any better reason NOT to be a Husky.

Have fun winning 4 games this year.

Posted by Kurosawa

10:23 PM, Jun 28, 2008

"Hasty gets kicked off the team for skipping voluntary workouts."

1) Not going to class, 2) quitting the team, 3) missing workouts. See a pattern?

The last was not the reason he was booted - it was just the last straw. No third chances, in other words.

Posted by Ike

10:38 PM, Jun 28, 2008

"Husky fans like you make me laugh because I realise how much better I am than you because of how stupid you are."

After a couple more 6-packs it will be even funnier. Drink up!

Posted by Jake

Posted by miffed

11:21 PM, Jun 28, 2008

2 more openings for top notch recruits, fantastic.... oops! we haven't filled any of the openings we have yet. The only Pac10 team in this position.
Get busy ty, or do you realize you are on borrowed time, and you are just marking time and collecting a check 1.5MM

Posted by spokoloco

11:55 PM, Jun 28, 2008

No one took anything! It was his for the taking, bad grades and lack of initiative. He needs to take responsibility. Maybe this is the wake-up he needs, but no one holds your hand when you are 22.

Posted by bobcondotashaircut

12:01 AM, Jun 29, 2008

This is too bad. I thought Ty would be able to mold these boys into men, but not yet. Hopefully, Ty will be able to follow them down to the d2 level after this year and continue to help them grow and mature.

Posted by GetReal

12:09 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Fact of life huh!!!

Please look in the mirror & wake up!!! Why did Ty offer Hasty a scholarship if he deems character is a top priority of a student athlete? Coaches should be accountable for their Student athlete’s actions. By releasing them from their scholarship it will not resolve any character issues nor make a better team.

Actions on the field speak LOUDER for itself…just look at the UW record for the last few seasons!

Get real!

Posted by 83alum

12:11 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Obviously they don't teach spelling in Pullman either. Is that realise or did you mean realize?

Posted by Justuptou

12:15 AM, Jun 29, 2008

hmmm....woah!

Obviously they don't teach "fact of life" in UW either huh! do they? Ack!

Posted by max

3:59 AM, Jun 29, 2008

I love husky football blog it always turns into a Wazzu and UW bashing session.

First off, I went to school with Hasty and he's a slacker second of all I've played basketball with him and he's lazy on the court. If your lazy off the field your going to be lazy on it, plain and simple.

You should never expect anything is going to be handed out to you, I mean you already got a full ride to one of the best schools in the country and he threw that away. Makes you wonder.

Posted by dawg4life

6:44 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Kyle - it's Ty's fault? Really? So to whose credit is it that the other 90+% of the kids stick and succeed?

Purple - by your theory, many of our most important military battles were fought and won by hypocrites....

GetReal - do you realize the circumstances under which Ty was recruiting that year? Doesn't sound like it......

IMO, both these kids were handed a full ride at a top flight university.....and they wasted it...while 10's of thousands of other families are paying for the same privilage and their kids are doing what it takes to graduate as a DAWG. James and Jordan will either someday regret what the didn't do, or live out the life of looking for the handout.

Posted by Osbourne

6:53 AM, Jun 29, 2008

WSU is the very last resort for instaters seeking a seondary education.

Washington
Eastern Washington
Washington State-Vancouver
Whitworth

Washington State-Pullman

Posted by Hayes

6:58 AM, Jun 29, 2008

"Let’s be realistic on pointing fingers & declaring the UW as the top priority in the state of Washington. If UW is proclaimed a fine institution with a great football athletic program, then why are UW boosters raising $$$ to fire its own football head coach?"

How does this in any way have any bearing on UW being the top university in the northwest?

How did WSU fund the Doba, Graham Eastman buyout? The only difference is the UW athletic progarm has not been leaching the taxpayer like the WSU athletic program has.

Posted by dawg4life

8:40 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Amended, it should have read...."Purple - by your theory, many of our most important military battles were commanded and won by hypocrites.."

And maybe it's just me but I see this season as one that's about as intriguing as they come....new defensive coordinator and special teams leaders, one of the most highly regarded young QB's in the nation heading into his 2nd year....and a head coach in a very clear situation of win, or negotiate a salary elsewhere.

If that doesn't get you excited, given the struggles we've all experienced with the program, then I'm not sure what would.

63 Days! GO DAWGS

Posted by 3 of 5

9:19 AM, Jun 29, 2008

hasty gets kicked off? wrong. hasty failed to live up to the standards that the coach demands. Hasty had a past of not conditioning himself properly long before the off season work outs. Either he's serious about being a husky or he isn't. Too much of his tenure at UW suggests the latter.

I love you guys who trash the coach for supposedly not developing and his players, and then trash him for punishing those who aren't giving 110%.

Posted by 3 of 5

9:25 AM, Jun 29, 2008

3of5 response update:

In addition, I teach college at a University. I see college students use Hasty's excuse way too often when they don't get the grades they feel they "deserve". Grades, just as college football scholarships, aren't given; they are earned. Until you earn your grade, you haven't succeeded. Until Hasty earned his position on the team, he didn't "deserve" his place on the team. It wasn't one single incident that led to Hasty's failure; it was a series of incidents. He failed to make the required grades, and his final grade is simply a reflection of this.

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:55 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Predicted Wins - PAC-10

Posted by mutt

10:05 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Willingham cut those to young men from the team because their black !

Posted by Jordan

10:08 AM, Jun 29, 2008

I posted before Bob had updated this and got a hold of Hasty. One of the quotes from him sums up his whole career at Washington, "It's pretty frustrating coming in thinking you are the top guy and they take it from you,'' he said. "That hurts real bad. And from my own state (school), that kills me.''

I retract my previous statement. It was not presumptuous of me to say Hasty thought the world owed him something. I think he suffered from the fact that he was a star on the high school level at a very visible high school team. Then he goes to UW where he can't rely on his talent alone he has to work hard to get on the field. Rather than do that he blames other people.

Classic case of big fish in little pond becoming little fish in a very big pond and can't believe that people don't worship him anymore. Nobody took anything from him. If he was the best player he would have been on the field. If he had stayed academically eligible he would have been on the field. If he had the right attitude and worked hard he would have been on the field. This is all on Hasty. HE THOUGHT he was the top guy. He took it from himself.

Posted by Jordam

10:14 AM, Jun 29, 2008

weownyou,

The only thing that WSU owns is a very large debt to defense attorneys in Spokane and Pullman. Thanks for wishing us luck on winning 4 games. Have fun winning 2 games this year.

10:31 AM, Jun 29, 2008

...'UW coach Tyrone Willingham had no comment and wasn't expected to make any, a school spokesman said.'...

...this is so willingham...

...willingham has a history of designating one or two player a year for his "doghouse"...nothing they do will get them out of it...e.g., Hasty...

Posted by ArtV

10:42 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Both EJ & JR have been discipline problems during their careers. The difference is that one is a talented Linebacker, the other is a so-so RB.

The real reason Hasty keeps quitting is cause he doesn’t see the field. I wont miss him and his highlight reel that consists of a 3 yard gain vs ASU.

11:33 AM, Jun 29, 2008

..."The real reason Hasty keeps quitting"...

...helloooo...Hast didn't quit...willingham pulled his scholarship...

Posted by 2003 dawg

12:15 PM, Jun 29, 2008

JH,

"He briefly quit the team at mid-season last year saying he felt he wasn't getting a fair opportunity, returned after some talks with Willingham, but never played again"

helloooo.

Posted by 3 of 5

12:15 PM, Jun 29, 2008

jr, actually, he did quit. He also failed. Then he came back and didn't prove he wanted to step it up a couple notches to stay on the team. Three strikes and he's out. Not a bad policy in the slightest. As long as Ty keeps consistent and high standards, he's going to attract the type of talent that will live up to his expectations.

12:25 PM, Jun 29, 2008

...and we wonder why willingham isn't a good recruiter...

Posted by shane/olympia

12:34 PM, Jun 29, 2008

1st
hasty is the ryan leaf of college ball

i am pro ty!

and why would i not be?

he is a high quality person that recruits high quality players!

the wins will come! no one is willing to give him time but i am!

people want compare his success with others that have taken over programs but no one as had to take over programs on such a low note

scandal with rick and horrible recruiting with keith gilbertson.

he has changed up his staff and has brought in a great recruiting class!

12:36 PM, Jun 29, 2008

..."i am pullin for ty and i wouldn't mind him being the coach for the next 20+ years...

...that ladies and gentlemen...says it all...

Posted by Go Dawgs

12:42 PM, Jun 29, 2008

If you people knew the real reason Hasty was let go, you guys would say Good Riddance. And it's not just the missing workouts part. That's just the tip of the iceberg with this clown. The guy is a cancer. The reason Willingham isn't commenting publicly is because he doesn't want to air JR's dirty laundry in public. That's what upstanding guys like TW do, they take the heat for a controversial decision, but everyone inside that program knows exactly why he was kicked off the team.

GO DAWGS!

12:57 PM, Jun 29, 2008

...it sounds like willingham picked the wrong profession...maybe the seminary was full...

Posted by Ziasudra

1:49 PM, Jun 29, 2008

to jh - someone said, and it describes you: The biased mind is like an eye; the more light shines on it, the tighter it shuts.
To others - just ignore him

1:52 PM, Jun 29, 2008

...yeah...we wouldn't want someone to upset your 0.300 willingham tea party...would we?...

2:05 PM, Jun 29, 2008

...here's the latest from the Bleacher Report...

College Football’s Best And Worst Recruiting Head Coaches
by cfb360 .com (Contributor)2 comments1719 readsJUNE 27, 2008

By Radio Man - www.cfb360.com

Schmoozing isn't just a word, it's an art, especially in College Football recruiting, which for recruits and fans is a nightmare, a pleasure, and an entertainment industry wrapped into one. A handful of College Football's best programs are also led by some its best recruiting head coaches. Unfortunately for fans of a select few tradition-rich programs, there are a few slackers leading what should be at least good programs, but due to recruiting ineptitudes such as staggering to the recruiting finish line each National Signing Day instead of racing through it, aren't.

A few basic criteria to be honored as a top recruiter, or, ahem, slapped with the tag of basically being a lazy recruiter, err, golfer (more on that in a bit), are as follows: 1) preferably a head coach at the Division I level for at least 10 years, and 2) preferably coaching for at least one program that produces consistent winners, i.e. January bowl games are expected, not the exception.

Beginning with the best of the best, Southern California head coach Pete Carroll takes the cake. Even though Carroll is fairly new to the College game, from 2002-2008 the Trojans were a recruiting juggernaut. Last year was the first time in six years the Trojans could not stake claim to having the nation's top recruiting class. That's just ridiculous. How does Carroll do it? For one, location. It's LA man! Tradition comes into play with the Trojans, and of course having a coaching staff that has several good coaches and recruiters since Carroll took over at Troy makes him a powerful influence on the recruiting scene. What places Carroll no. 1, however, is his ability to land recruits from areas that Southern California just does not normally land recruits. Tallahassee, Fla., New Jersey, Toledo, Ohio, Muskegon, Mich., Texas, New York, NY, Colorado, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina are locations that the Trojans had, currently have or will have players on the roster. Carroll is the ring leader, and deserves big-time kudos for his efforts.

Now for the not so good news…drum roll please!

As the saying goes, "do not say anything if there is nothing nice to say." Well, to heck with that.

And the winner (loser) for worst recruiting head coach is…Tyrone Willingham. This is the coach that is more concerned with figuring out if he is going to hit three wood or a one iron off the tee than whether or not to offer the state of Washington's top recruits in a timely fashion, if at all. Not to mention, Willingham was the man responsible for recruiting what turned out to be the worst class in the past fifty years at Notre Dame – last years senior class – before heading to Seattle. Nice job, Ty. And to take the cake, and it is just hard to fathom, Willingham and the Huskies have exactly zero commitments for the class of 2009 right now. None, zero, zip, nada. Mack Brown would fall over. Then again, he's probably not in as good of shape as Willingham as the Huskies head coach constantly lugs his bag of clubs around the various country clubs he frequents. Willingham is not long for Seattle, and his recruiting incompetency bears a great deal of the blame.

...as we were saying...

Posted by 3 of 5

2:07 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Ziasudra, well said. Usually I just ignore his nonsense, since he clearly is the kind of guy whose sole interest is to trash Ty, regardless of the issue. It looks like it's time to re-implement that policy. It's obvious that most dawg fans recognize why Ty let him go and recognize that Hasty was given enough rope to hang himself, not vice versa.

Posted by dawg4life

4:15 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Why is it whenever I see "Posted by jh" , I get the same feeling I do watching some guy's wife nagging him in the car at the stoplight....the same feeling as knowing I'm not going to have time for coffee in the morning?

Seeing his name is like feeling the first signs of a really sore throat coming on, or knowing today is the day to clean the gutters.

Sheesh.....he could bring rain clouds in even on this weekends weather.

Oh well, for all of you excited for that first win in Autzen Stadium.....GO DAWGS.

4:18 PM, Jun 29, 2008

...I keep you honest...most appreciate that effort...even if the willingham tea party doesn't...

Posted by bonghit bob

4:21 PM, Jun 29, 2008

When the puppies of W find themselves 0-3 to start the impending season, they will not only re-think what Ty-bonehead has done but again call for the reigns back to the wunderlost history of the Mistake @ Montlake.

Posted by Inexcusable Excuse

4:54 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Ty's practice of pulling scholarships (that IS what he's doing) for guys he deems are no longer worthy of the uniform has as much to do with their performance on the field as it does their behavior off of it. I hate to elevate Michael Braunstein or Chris Hemphill as shining examples of Huskies, but did anyone find it strange how he allowed both of these "cancers" to continue playing in 2006 even though they were supposedly such bad kids/teammates that he kicked them off (um, didn't offer them a fifth year) in 2007? Didn't he do the same with Murchison in 2007 and, to a lesser extent, Hasty? Was he really giving them another chance, or was he exploiting them -- as long as they helped out his football team, he would keep them on the team. Now that we have incoming freshmen to take their place -- see ya later. Why else would Ty have waited so long to boot them from the team? And this "no comment" stuff is so transparent -- there will be no comment because he doesn't want to answer the very questions posed here ... as he would be exposed for what he is: the most hypocritical and shallow head football coach in Husky history (and that's saying a lot).
The reason EJ Savannah is still on this team? Because he can help us on the field. The reason some recruits are not coming to Washington? Because Ty refuses to commit to the scholarship he is offering -- which, at every other Pac -10 school, is effectively for five years, not four.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

4:54 PM, Jun 29, 2008

When I read this blog, I read straight down, comment after comment. When someone says something "really smart", or "really dumb", I look to the left margin and see who posted it...

Jh, why does your name resonate through my readings?

Well...it's not for the "really smart" tag...that's for sure.

jh, "...but what is a football program's responsibility in pulling a scholarship from a player that is academically eligible?...does the University condone this?...talk about using a player for the sport and then casting him off because he's only averaged 3.0 ypc....jeeze...does the NCAA condone this practice?..."

So all players that remain academically eligible should retain their scholarship? What a dumb, short-sighted comment...what about their off-field actions?...these don't matter at all? Let say he rapes a girl late one night in the quad...university's response, "Well technically he's academically eligible, so we are not pulling his scholarship."

Yeah, right...

jh, "...helloooo...Hast didn't quit...willingham pulled his scholarship..."

Yes, he quit the team last year and returned. Again, what a dumb, ill-informed comment.

jh, "...but to pull a scholarship when the player is still scholastically eligible is very counter-productive...."

Why? You just state it...but why counter productive? Counter productive against what? Do you even know what counter productive means??? Ty is creating a "code of conduct and work ethic"...it is quite evident that Hasty was not in line with that. This is a PRODUCTIVE move in cutting bait and moving on...further instilling that code with the rest of the team.

jh, "...put yourself in the recruit - or recruit's parents - position when mulling over the recruitment possibilities and they find out that a coach didn't appreciate the on-field talents of a current player and gave his scholarship to some high school kid..."

On-field talents aren't the only thing being bred here, nor do they solely represent success on the field. There are far too many examples to list of top talent atheletes that are failures when they realize that now, in D-1, most everyone is a top talent (Vick and Marinovich) are examples that immediately come to mind. Vick isn't seeing much success on the field these days...

With that reasoning, we'd continue to have a bunch of hoodlums who live under a shroud of preferrential treatment and protection...parents would see the headlines, notice the glaring lack of control, and not want their kid in that environment. It's called INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.

"...and we wonder why willingham isn't a good recruiter..."

So not only do any of the points above this statement back this comment up, but you say this right after a top 20 recruiting year. Again, just a plain old dumb comment.

And I look to the left...ah yes..."Posted by jh"

But, please keep posting...you make the blog very entertaining. Plus it makes me continue to give donations to Jerry's Kids...knowing that their still out there.

4:59 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Is it counter productive to be so morbidly obese that you can't walk up to your players to talk to them? Is it also counterproductive to eat your players. How about going 3-9 and losing to NAVY! Yeah, I think so. Oh well, it doesn't matter, my arguments are idiotic and I'm retarded.

NOTRE SHAME FOREVER! Most sacks given up in the country!

Posted by firetywillingham.com

5:06 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Bob..

I know when he was coaching at Franklin Mario Bailey was trying to get his degree so that he could become a Grad. Assistant, any update on how that is going? I think he could be a BIG help to these young WR, especially getting coached up by the 2nd greatest WR ever at Udub, next to Reggie...

Posted by Mr. Bottom Line

7:34 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Bottom Line:

Hasty is a lazy bum who thinks he deserves the world

Murchison is a crim.

Posted by John_S

8:07 PM, Jun 29, 2008

NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEH HEH HEH GOODBYE!!!!

JR Hasty needs to look in the mirror. Since when does someone who does not show up to class and is fat and out of shape supposed to be given a starting job. What a loser just like his dad!

Posted by mutt

8:11 PM, Jun 29, 2008

The Huskies start off the season o and 3 it will damn hard to pick their spirits up enough to make a winning season........even with Tyrone at the helm !
A team can't keep getting beat down and expect a big mid season run for a bowl game, some were some how, something got to give????

8:20 PM, Jun 29, 2008

..."what about their off-field actions?"...

...I'm sorry...did Hasty rob a 7-11?...what "off-field" action do you mean?...

...also...I find it cowardly to blog under another's name or initials... but yo know that...don't you...

Posted by Husky6969

8:51 PM, Jun 29, 2008

What an excellent quote regarding WSU and the town of Pullman:

"WSU is a hard school to go to, man," Williams says. "You ain't got nothin' to do but get drunk and smoke weed, and not go to class because you're too tired from doing what you're doing."

Peace, out.

Posted by Huskiebob

9:51 PM, Jun 29, 2008

I guess I am more patriotic than many of the posters on here. Supporting the Marines and our veterans by playing in a fund raisiing golf tournament seems like an honorable thing to do. As a booster, Tyee and alum of the UW, I applaud that.

As far as the two young men no longer on the team, they simply did not have their scholarships renewed. Retaining your scholarship is not a right but a privilege and to continue that privilege, you need to follow the rules as a student, a citizen and a player. These two communicated multiple times they were not willing to do that. They now have their chance to get a fresh start and hopefully make better decisions in the future.

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:58 PM, Jun 29, 2008

JH,

Regarding your 12:25pm post which read the following:

...and we wonder why willingham isn't a good recruiter..."

Your post is contradicted by this link from last spring:

It regards a RB at Clemson.

I am curious as to whether you might change your mind regarding your post, after reading the story to which I have posted the link.

I am not curious as to your opinion on all your other gripes about TW, just your words in your 12:25 pm post.

Thanks.

Posted by steve

8:57 AM, Jun 30, 2008

his dad was very similar

9:51 AM, Jun 30, 2008

...so...out of 119 Division 1 football programs...we've found two -UW and Clemson...that believes that it is not counter-productive to rescind an academically eligible player...

...change my mind?...well...how 'bout if you find one or two more...and if you do...does this mean that recruits/parents are lining up to be kicked in the teeth at some future date by a coach that doesn't believe a "commitment" is a two-way street?...or...do you think that the recruit/parent may opt to go to a program that values the student-athlete?...

Posted by Later

10:22 AM, Jun 30, 2008

Hasty thinks he didn't get a fair chance?

Classic 'victim' mentality. Classic sense of entitlement. Good riddance.

He had an amazing opportunity at a struggling Pac-10 school and blew it.

If he even achieved half of what he thought he was, we wouldn't be having this post.

Posted by Reality Check

11:27 AM, Jun 30, 2008

I couldn't agree more regarding Ty's participation in a charity event. I think supporting the troops for their sacrifice is very honorable.

However, I also think hitting the links for personal pleasure on a regular basis when your team hasn't had a winning season in years is in poor taste. I guess it just grates on me that our team is so bad, and he seems so stoic about the whole thing. If I'm really driven to make something happen, I'm focused. I sure as heck wouldn't be whacking a golf ball around during the regular season while my team just got lit up for 400+ yards rushing or 500+ yards passing.

In short, I guess I'm beginning to think that Ty is all talk and no action. Anyone can talk about "championship level football." But in 3 years, we haven't even managed to play Pop Warner level football. If for no other reason than appearance's sake, perhaps he should ease up on the golf. Maybe a little more time watching film, game planning, (you know, earning that $1.5 million) would seem appropriate.

11:30 AM, Jun 30, 2008

...to paraphrase...

..........patriotism is the last refuge of the poor coach...but let's wave the flag and salute the three year, last place coach in the Pac-10...

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:06 PM, Jun 30, 2008

JH,

Thanks for your response.

I was curious how you felt.

I am not going to spend the time looking for 1 or 2 more examples. I have better things to do. I just recall the Clemson example from someone's post on this board last spring, so it only took me 30 seconds to find it again.

I think the author of that article states that this sort of thing does happen in college football everywhere on some occasion. The Clemson case was maybe a litlte more egregious example, where you wanted to root for the player, and there were no well-publicized red flags about how the player was acting in a way detrimental to the program.

Another example comes to mind of someone this is happening to, albeit in basketball. The player is a fellow named Joel Smith, here at UW.

My sense is that there have been more than two cases in the history of college football in the last 15 years -other than James Hasty/Jordan Murchison and the guy at Clemson- in which players got dumped with eligiblity remaining. I think it happens annually in every conference, if not every program.

I imagine Bob can pull some old links of Neuheisel clearing out some guys, without difficutly.

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:10 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Let me clarify-

When I refer to Joel Smith as "another example comes to mind of someone this is happening to..."

I mean another student-athlete, whose scholarship is being given to someone else, while he still has 1 year of eligbility left and is academically eligibile.

12:50 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Posted by Husky19

12:51 PM, Jun 30, 2008

JH,

UW has a handful of players that are currently on the roster heading into their 4th and 5th years that have not played or played very little.

BUT they are still on the team and their scholarships are still being renewed. I respect that you hate Ty, but at least be somewhat reasonable.

These two dropped players have done a lot off the field to warrant not renewing their scholarships.

So your point of these players being academically eligible and Ty dropping them for their lack of on-field production is totall unwarranted and totally unjustified.

Let's look at players in their 4th or 5th year that (TO THIS POINT) have not contributed that much on the field. But the fact that they could be big contributors this year is not relevant since that would be speculation and we are looking at whether they justified a 4th or 5th year based on historical performances.

JWF (could start but if Juan didn't get hurt he may have only been a backup, although he has a ton of potential)

Morgan R - Another 4th year player that has not played more than a few snaps.

Dan Winter - 5th year player, non factor, maybe special teams

Jovon OConnor - 5th year player, maybe played a few snaps in that last 4 years.

These players all have their eligiblity and scholarships. You think maybe those other two did more than just not produce on the field???

2:29 PM, Jun 30, 2008

...sounds plausible...

Posted by Formerly Guest

3:03 PM, Jun 30, 2008

JH,

In response to "...so...if I understand you correctly...you support this "student-athlete" charade?..." :

Whether I think it was good or OK to bid farewell to Hasty or Murchison is beside the point. (I don't have sympathy for them actually, while I do for the Clemson RB guy in the earlier link).

I think the point I am trying to make however, is that TW is not the only guy who does this. I think a lot guys do it. If you want to call it a "charade," that is fine.

I think that having to pay over $4.30 per gallon for gas is a charade. I don't like it, so it is a charade. But I don't rail against the shell station near 80th and Lake City on a daily basis about how they are running a charade with expensive gas.

Why? Because I drive past about 12 other gas stations each day with the same outlandish prices. I have accepted the fact that whether I like it or not, this gas price is now universal. Everyone is pricing it this high.

Just like many other college football programs don't renew the scholarships of some eligible players each year.

That doesn't make it right. But I think it means TW wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. It seemed to me you were making a case he was.

Posted by firetywillingham.com

3:30 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Huskybob..

It's not about being PATRIOTIC, it's about when you are the FACE OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM, and all the coaches are on a tour to meet alumns around the state and to raise money for the school so that we can make upgrades to the stadium, your down in NC playing in a golf tourney with some D-list celebrities, the celebs in that tourney make Kathy Griffin look A-list.

Not only that but it does stipulate in his(TW) contract that he partakes in events like the coaches tour. I think that 1.5 MIll he's making should make him go on the coaches tour, because we are sure not getting our money's worth in wins!!!!!

3:54 PM, Jun 30, 2008

..." think the point I am trying to make however, is that TW is not the only guy who does this. I think a lot guys do it."...

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:05 PM, Jun 30, 2008

JH,

Sorry, I missed your point. When I read the following (your 12:25pm post from yesterday):
"...no coach in a major college football program pulls a scholarship from a player because he hasn't done well on the football field...any credible coach may kick any player off the team...but to pull a scholarship when the player is still scholastically eligible is very counter-productive...."

I did not interpret it as:
"...my point is not that willingham is the only coach making a charade of the student-athlete moniker...my point is that the willingham apologist has hanged their collective hats on the "fact" that willingham was a "different type" of coach and even though he has only won 3 out of every 10 games over the last three years...that was OK because he ran a "clean" program that emphasized scholastics over recruiting...we now know differently..."

Thanks for clarifying.

I guess I had read the first statement to say that TW is in fact the only coach in a major college football program that pulls a scholarship from a player because he hasn't done well on the football field.

4:21 PM, Jun 30, 2008

...there's no conflict with those two statements...the point is and was is that willingham is a poor 0.300 UW coach who's only difference with the 0.750 coaches is his W-L record...and poor recruitment record...

...by the way...willingham suspended Murchison for 4 games for assault on one person and domestic assault against his live-in girl friend...one wonders if the suspension of two games per felony would have held if the transgressions were for child abuse and/or manslaughter...

...again...so much for willingham being a "different kind of coach"...

Posted by Bob

4:22 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Is jh James Hasty?

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:58 PM, Jun 30, 2008

JH,

OK. You have made your point. You feel there is no conflict with the two statements, and what you really meant was the coach is not without reroach, and also can't win or recruit.

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:59 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Sorry JH,
Meant "the coach is not without reporach..."

Posted by Formerly Guest

5:00 PM, Jun 30, 2008

JH,
I meant "reproach." I can't type.

Posted by Gabe

5:09 PM, Jun 30, 2008

We'll know soon enough which perspective on TW is correct. Either the team has a breakout season and his contract is renewed, or he has 4 or fewer wins and loses his job, or, and here's the tough one, he goes 5-7 and it's a coin flip as to what Emmert decides. Performance will decide the coach's fate, as it should. Like the ceo of a corporation, he sets the tone and the grand strategy and must answer to the shareholders, but it's the vp's who will have most to do with actual game outcomes. If the team goes 0-3 out of the gate, there is a risk of players losing faith in themselves, and I hope the posiiton coaches are skilled enough to avoid that occuring, because it will infect the program in the 09 season as well. Winning in Autzen could well be the key to the season. I thik the Huskies are prime for a big upset, and the ducks for a fall. Troy Must Be Destroyed (ducks demolished)

P.S. If TW is renewed, I would prefer it be with a cut in salary. Let him say no if he doesn't like that. He makes too much money at it is, period.

Posted by the conscience of JH

5:35 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Sorry Husky fans, jh didn't hear the news and now he's embarassed. It turns out that Murchinson is no longer on the team.

I know you are laughing at his foolish logic, and I tried to get him to chill out, but you know how he is. Once he starts getting amped up about ND football, his viciousness towards willingham makes him a bit of a fool. Now I warned him about how foolish he would look by making the argument that coach willingham is a .300 coach therefore kicking Hasty off the team is deplorable is thing for coach Willingham to do.

Do him this one favor for me, would you? Please pretend that his latest presentation of letting his hatred toward willingham drive him into making idiotic responses is actually a good point. All he is looking for is one person to pretend that he's got a valid argument. Be that one person!

5:48 PM, Jun 30, 2008

...cute...nonsensical...but very cute...in a feminine sort of way...

Posted by firetywillingham.com

8:14 PM, Jun 30, 2008

Too bad when TW was hired he wasted his time on JR Hasty when ALL of his time should have been devoted to Jonathon Stewart and Taylor Mays, but TW was probably down at Inglewood or somewhere on the 9th green, thats why we have zerooooooooooooooooo recruits for 09' as of now....

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:21 PM, Jun 30, 2008

FireTy,

Maybe all this stuff people post about TW is too lazy and too into golf to recruit is true. I dunno. Whatever.

But in 2005, JR Hasty was a sought after recruit, #21 ranked RB in the country per scout.com, entertaining offers from many programs, including us, UO, Penn St, Colorado, Cal and ASU.

So it wasn't like TW just settled for a well-known piece of crud and called it quits at commit #13 for that year.

I have always wondered if they had played him his freshman year and he had some success, if he would have been more motivated to stay on track these past few years, and thus been a contributor.

We'll never know.

Posted by Jynne

8:54 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Murchinson graduateed thsi year and he really wasn't going to make any impact on the football field, because he not a very good player. But he has a degree which is the whole point of going to college foe athletes who otherwise would have seen the light of day at UW a world class university. So I fault credit willingham with being a good man and coach to let him gradutate, remember he got into alot of trouble last year before the season and should have been cut then. But, Willingham kept him around long enough to recieve his degree. I applaud Willingham. As for Hasty he's a lazy rich spoiled kid, let his daddy foot the bill for his schooling.

11:00 AM, Jul 01, 2008

..."As for Hasty he's a lazy rich spoiled kid, let his daddy foot the bill for his schooling."...

...stupid me!...I thought he was on scholarship!...

Posted by Jynne

1:16 PM, Jul 01, 2008

Not, on scholarship anymore JH. He just got it pulled the point I was making is that he isn't in the same position that other football players would be in. His can AFFORD to pay his way, so his daddy can pay for him being lazy. The buck stopped with UW, when he was dismissed. Scholarship PULLED, meaning he has no scholarship!!

Posted by rickdawg

1:06 PM, Jul 02, 2008

TW: scattering players like a wet dog scatters water. Right now, the goal is to keep as many decent prospects as we can so that the new coach will have something to work with. TW can take a couple of those gold jersey boys (the pencil necks with the good grades who can't tackle) along with him to his next job at William and Mary. That's assuming he ever gets a head job again. Apologies to ND. Thou art forgiven. He's really that bad.

Posted by ???

8:45 PM, Jul 02, 2008

TW is simply finishing plucking the dead pedals from a blooming rose bush. The core of the team for the next 3 years is solidifying nicely. Just gotta keep the speed and talent coming in, and the upcoming teams are going to perform quite well.

Jul 1, 08 - 10:14 PM
Huskies in state all-star game

Jul 1, 08 - 10:06 PM
Shelton Sampson update

Jun 30, 08 - 10:06 PM
And then there were seven

Jun 30, 08 - 05:03 PM
Everybody else in?

Jun 29, 08 - 11:07 PM
Locker returns to Bellingham lineup, keys win

Jaguar to introduce XE sedan; app translates engine soundsnew
(Jaguar) Jaguar to sell XE sedan Jaguar will introduce its XE compact sedan in 2016. It's the first time Jaguar has competed in the largest luxury seg...