Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 10, 2008 10:58 AM

Another possible AD candidate UPDATED

Here's a new name I'd heard earlier this week could be on UW's list of potential athletic director candidates --- Craig Angelos of Florida Atlantic University.

However, Angelos today told the South Florida Sun-Sentinal he has had no contact with UW. (And since he has said that, I have amended this post to reflect those comments).

Angelos' name made a lot of sense because he was recently one of six finalists for the LSU AD job that went instead to Joe Alleva of Duke.

LSU used the same search firm that UW has hired --- Parker Executive Search of Atlanta --- and Angelos is said to be regarded as an up-and-comer (he's listed as 42 in his bio) who is often on the lists provided by Parker. And anyone reading this knows well the LSU ties of those now in command at UW.

We continue to hear conflicting reports on Utah's Chris Hill, who has been rumored to be a candidate from the start. Hill was a finalist for the job in 2004 and sources said he was actually offered the job before turning it down. He has said publicly several times of late that he is not a candidate for the UW job. However, a couple of sources have told us Hill may have spoken with UW, or the search firm, about the position in recent days. One source told us today that the word making the rounds among other ADs is that "Chris Hill is supposed to get that job.''

There continues to be no official word from anyone at UW about the AD search other than that the search committee is working hard, etc. This is the final week of school and as such marks the end of what was the unofficial timeline for making a hire. But UW officials have said there is no hard-and-fast deadline other than making sure a new hire is in place by the beginning of the football season.

A few other things I've heard:

--- Another name one source mentioned is Tulsa AD Bubba Cunningham, who was also recently in the running at Duke.

--- USC senior associate AD Steve Lopes is thought not to be in the running any longer, according to one source, though Lopes has not been available for comment.

--- Another source said UW has interviewed, or will interview, UTEP AD Bob Stull, but that Stull is not thought to be the favorite for the job. The El Paso Times has this report on Stull and UW.

Posted by Issaquah234

12:27 PM, Jun 10, 2008

FIRST!

Posted by caldawg

12:36 PM, Jun 10, 2008

So we have a bunch of also rans one named Bubba in the hunt for the AD job. WOW, I'm excited. I would like to know why someone from the other side of the country with no ties with the UW. May not even know where Seattle is located would be a more likely canidatae then a guy named Stull with lots of ties. Can someone explain. If you are going to take a chance do it with someone who at least knows how to spell Huskies.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

12:39 PM, Jun 10, 2008

FIRST...Awww, yeeeaaahhhh. Just chillin with the homies, with a bottle of yak, a bag of speezak, and kickin it in the heezack. Keep the pimp hand strong!

I really don't know what any of that means...just "keeping it real".

Anyways, just reading through some of the past blogs and read that TY claimed that we would win in Autzen?!?!?!?!?!

Is this true? When did this happen? Why go and do something stupid like that...doesn't seem like Ty's style (but styles change when the pressure is on).

Not very happy about it being a night game...the *ucks will be even more debaucherous as ever! I don't have kids, but would NEVER bring them to that environment. Too bad *ucks have that rep...oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it.

But boy, that environment might just be the toughest in the country, considering the night game.

Here to hoping that the *uck fans in Eugene wake up with their cousin wispering sweet nothings in their ear, drink a fifth of jack, go driving to egg all Saturday morning Jehovah's Witnesses, drink another fifth of jack, shoot up all the salvaged refrigerators in the backyard, drink another fifth of jack, set a plentiful feast of baked beens and Peeps from Easter two years ago, yup drink another fifth of jack, and pass out on only the best couch out on the front lawn.

-DAWGONE-

Posted by jh

12:53 PM, Jun 10, 2008

....emmert finally down to Division 2 candidates...

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

1:05 PM, Jun 10, 2008

By the way...what's the typical compensation package for an AD at a UDUB like environment?

Maybe it's best for the search committee to be so "tight-lipped"....to keep the public from getting "involved" (as best they can). But with the leaks of candidates...if they are true...is making me VERY nervous.

I would expect the compensation to be in the $150k to $250 range...with the "prestige" that goes along with the position....isn't there any better candidates we can get?

If my career track was along that route, I would absolutely jump on the opportunity!!! The position UDUB atheletics are in, almost GUARANTEES at least partial success (IT CAN'T GET ANY WORSE). And anyone with at fund raising experience will have a field day in the fields of WA with wealthy boosters anxious to put UDUB back on the athletic map.

We certainly aren't on that map right now.

1:09 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Or if Emmert gets really desperate he may have to go after someone from Notre Dame. Oh wait, somehow it slipped the all-knowing JH that Cunningham spent a few years in South Bend.

As for pay, ADs at schools like UW typically make $300-400 or so these days.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

1:15 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Hey Bob...hope your enjoying the Seattle weather....it's 102 right now in AZ! Just wanted to rub it in (I'm a Seattle native, UW alumn, proudly carrying the UW husky on the back of my car here in AZ).

Anyways, I was being very conservative on my AD compensation...

Why wouldn't this be an excellent opportunity! I personnally think we should be looking outside the "current-AD" candidate pool. How about someone from the corporate world, maybe a very successful non-profit (for fund raising skills)?

Maybe all will be fine and we'll draw Moos...but if not him, go to the private sector in the search...it is an EMPLOYERS MARKET right now!!!

Posted by jh

1:15 PM, Jun 10, 2008

...yeah!...bobbi...I find it hard to believe that Kevin White didn't beat a path to montlake to hook up again with his boy, willingham...oh!, that's right...the residue of the willingham hire/years poisoned the ND well for White over the last seven years...

Posted by jh

1:18 PM, Jun 10, 2008

..."I still can't believe why the UDUB doesn't have the "pick of the liter" in it's selection process."...

...sarcasm, right?...

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

1:36 PM, Jun 10, 2008

No JH...no scarcasm at all.

UDUB athletics is STARVING for positive movement of ANY kind (sorry crew and golf teams).

A good AD would be a SAVIOR if they were just slightly successful.

I would be salivating at the chance to walk into a this type of situation, if I were an AD looking to grow my professional development.

To put it bluntly, you can't screw things up any worse than they currently are...

Imagine the AD that walks in here and:
(1) Either Ty turns it around and everything is fine, or he/she hires someone who rides this recruiting class coattails and has moderate, if not good, success in the near future (Again, you can't do much worse than Ty...I'M A TY SUPPORTER THROUGH THIS YEAR THOUGH!);
(2) Continues the fund raising efforts in the stadium remodel. I don't think he/she would have a HUGE uphill climb in this regard, since the stadium is in definite need of a remodel and there will be plenty of community and booster support.

Hopefully the tight-lipped search is actually garnering more highly capable candidates that the leaks have suggested.

My 2 cents.

Posted by Sittingdawg

2:38 PM, Jun 10, 2008

I have a few comments on the playoff implications. I support a playoff, and I am hoping and praying that you (Bob) and everyone else are wrong about a new commissioner not making a difference.

1) I have to think that, if we get an AD who supports a college football playoff, it would make a difference. This person may not convert all of the commissioners into mindless zombies who automatically agree with him, but he's going to have their ears. With an ounce of common sense and an intelligent advocate, there's no reason some of them couldn't be made to change their minds.

2) As far as the comment along the lines of, "plus 1 system . . . would lead to everyone calling for an 8- or 16-team playoff." OH GOD NO! Not a normal, fair way of deciding things!! Not like 114 out of 117 of the other NCAA sports have figured out. Why are we afraid of getting the ball rolling in the right direction? And please, don't say it's money, because there is no reason they can't make as much or more money on a playoff. The meaningless bowl games will still be meaningless, and the big bowl games will still be big.

3) A third argument was that teams from coast to coast wouldn't be watching each other, that somehow nonregional games would have less implication as they currently have in the BCS race. That might be true for the top 2 teams who have sewn up 1 and 2 seeds (as it already is). But you can't tell me that seeding in an 8-team playoff wouldn't be a HUGE factor. And, wait a minute, aren't there 8 teams in the BCS anyway?? What would the difference be in trying to get into a BCS game and trying to get a top 8 seed?

Bob, if you can answer these questions, or counter these arguments, I would truly be grateful. I'll admit if I'm wrong, but it's hard for me to imagine a new AD that was supportive of a playoff couldn't make a difference.

Posted by Gabe

3:18 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Is Autzen really the toughest venue in the Pac 10, or is that just an excuse some use for not winning there? Does it do something to the fragile psyches of opposing players to go out on the field at Autzen? It does appear that Oregon fans can spit farther than most others, but that's just the way they're raised. Our guys are going to ignore all the hype about the stadium and just kick their butts this year. That is, if we can control that new running back, if he's still eligible. Troy Must Be Destroyed/Ducks Demolished.

Posted by Tarn

4:44 PM, Jun 10, 2008

Hire Stull. It's a no brainer.

Posted by jh

9:08 AM, Jun 11, 2008

...I understand that willingham at the latest NCAA conference was referred to as "Typhoid Ty"...every where he goes (ND, UW) the AD dies...

Sunday links

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Saturday notes

Huskies get one vote in AP poll, other notes

Husky nightcap, Friday edition