Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 14, 2008 11:11 AM

Wednesday notes and links

A few links to pass along while watching the Mariners and realizing that while Tyrone Willingham may be No. 1 on the Coaches Hot Seat list, he's no higher than No. 2 these days in the city of Seattle rankings behind the rising-with-a-bullet John McLaren.

--- Here's the Jake Locker story from Rivals.com that a few of you have already linked in the comments section. The comment from Scott Locker jibes with what he told me the day after the incident happened --- that he thought there was a chance Jake would play the next week. You may recall he sat out a win against Cal but then returned to play the final two games against WSU and Hawaii.

--- The Sacramento Bee Raiders' blog breaks down the chances of Marcel Reece to make the team. Reece signed with the Raiders yesterday after having impressed during a tryout over the weekend.

--- Here's a story on Greyson Gunheim's first weekend with the Raiders.

--- Jean-Jacques Taylor of the Dallas Morning News says Isaiah Stanback could have a hard time making the Cowboys' roster next season (it's in an answer about two-thirds of the way down).

--- Here's a post-spring outlook on the Huskies from USAToday.com.

--- Athlon's is revealing another member of its pre-season Top 25 every day until it gets to No. 1 in early June when its magazine is officially released. The only UW opponent so far is Oregon at No. 19.

All for now.

Posted by Craig

11:58 AM, May 14, 2008

No quarterback or running back, and the Yucks are 19th in the country?? Unless you're USC, hard to believe you can replace those two critical offensive positions so easily. I usually like Athlon, but I'll call BS on that one.

Posted by huskiesjv

12:40 PM, May 14, 2008

They had a QB who threw for 4 TDs in the Sun Bowl and Johnson and this new guy from Florida. Roper (the QB) isn't even the top guy after spring. I think they have retooled. Just glad we get them in game 1 incase they haven't hit their stride.

Posted by MelloDawg

1:03 PM, May 14, 2008

Saying that McLaren is higher than Ty on the "Seattle coaches hot seat ranking" is a little silly. Mariners fans could include UW, WSU, UO, Oregon St and any number of people.

UW fans include, well, only UW fans. Besides, it's not like McLaren has been the coach for 3 years and been completely futile.

Posted by Gabe

1:25 PM, May 14, 2008

Really interesting points on prior string by Formerly Guest re recruiting traps. Almost his old self again. This is the kind of stuff that makes a blog worth reading.

And Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by Blue

2:34 PM, May 14, 2008

Well, Mello, considering that there are plenty of UW fans outside the state of Washington, and considering that there is more money and more fans involved in the Mariners, I think Bob's statement is far from silly.

Posted by USC cheaters

2:44 PM, May 14, 2008

The mark of a good program is graduation doesn't turn you into a loser while you build it back up. (See UW going 26 years without a losing season as an example.) I hate the whoregon ducks as much as anyone, but I'm pretty sure they'll put it back together and be solid again.

As for UW, I am in a pretty negative place. At what point can we stop saying, "Next year"? Honestly, either Ty wins in '08 or I want him gone. I've run completely out of patience with him. What's more, looking at the schedule, I'm hard pressed to find more than 4 or 5 games that look like possible wins to me.

My prediction: 4-8 or 5-7 and we're looking for a new coach at the end of the year. What's worse, I think we'll start out horribly which will pretty much make the 2nd half of the season feel like a waste of time. In short, it's hard to imagine, but 2008 could easily shape up to be the most disappointing and frustrating year I've sat through as a Husky fan. Can't wait for those season tickets to show up in my mailbox. :-(

Posted by USC Cheaters

2:48 PM, May 14, 2008

Just to clarify, I know Ty's teams have a tradition of starting well (both individual games and seasons) only to fall apart at the end. But I'm looking at the schedule and thinking they could very easily be 0-3 to start out. From there the season looks like a complete wasteland to me. Even 1-2 is probably too deep of a hole for this program to escape. So, in my negative world, I could see 2008 being a complete throw away only 3 weeks into the year. Gosh I hope I'm wrong, but it looks quite possible based upon the quality of football I've been watching the last few years.

Posted by LFPDawg

2:59 PM, May 14, 2008

I'll agree with Mello, for the same reasons and for different. I don't think so much it's McLaren that Seattleites hate -it's Bill Bavasi.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

8:23 AM, May 15, 2008

Oregonís defense had some inflated sack, TFLís, and INT numbers because the veteran offense would get ahead pretty quickly and opponents were forced into being one dimensional to catch up. It's easier to play defense when you know a team has to pass to get back in the game so the DL could pin their ears back and the DBs didn't have to worry about the run so much.

Roper threw for 4 TDs against some Florida school (not FSU, Miami, or UF) because they were a non-BCS school and Stewart was carrying the team on his shoulders.

Posted by Ducks 45 Dawgs 13

9:00 PM, May 15, 2008

Hey Craig, you're being a bit simplistic. We have two killer RB's and two good backups. We will rush for 300 on you no problem. As far as QB, some unproven talent but Costa will emerge as the starter and have a great season. Either way, the O Line will be so dominant it will give the QB plenty of time to develop.
HFNY, you have a point...but that same point can be used for some inflated numbers by our opponents last year also.
What you're all forgetting is that we have one of the best secondaries in the country which will allow us to stack the box and play "Alliotti D" (I'm not a big fan, but his defenses are predicated on stacking the box). It will be a long day for the Dawgs come Aug. 30.

Posted by Craig

9:08 AM, May 16, 2008

My real point, Ducks 45, is that a number 19 ranking seemed a bit lofty for a team with a backfield in flux. As someone else mentioned, great schools field a competitive team every year with little falloff, so we'll see where the Ducks stand come August 30th. It should be a good game - I'm not envisioning the Duck blowout that you are; I think the Dawgs will surprise some with their improved D and Locker's newfound throwing ability.

May 16, 08 - 08:33 AM
Interesting interview of former Times columnist

May 15, 08 - 05:07 PM
Nelson hopes to be candidate

May 15, 08 - 09:43 AM
Baseball interlude two, more

May 14, 08 - 03:40 PM
A.D. update

May 14, 08 - 11:11 AM
Wednesday notes and links

Brake softening likely caused by overheatingnew
Dear Tom and Ray: I am a rural mail carrier, which means I have to use my own vehicle to deliver. I drive a 2005 Scion xA. As you...