Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 20, 2008 9:32 PM

Locker to appear at Bellingham Coaches Tour

UW has announced that quarterback Jake Locker will be attending the UW Coaches Tour stop in Bellingham on June 5. Locker also attended last year.

The event will be held at the Bellingham Golf & Country Club. As always, fans can get more information and sign up for the golf tournament and/or Husky Insider Banquet at UWalum.com.

Here is a complete list of all the coaches tour events with information on how to attend.

Posted by ha

10:06 PM, May 20, 2008

tooloose4show

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:59 AM, May 21, 2008

Hey Bob - Just a note of thanks - you give us old (and new) Husky diehards some fun everyday - Thanks again - Curt

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:00 AM, May 21, 2008

REPEAT - Here's an eye-opener. According to USC's Scout.com site - out of their top 40 recruiting prospects, Washington is also recruiting just 2 of the same kids. I ask, have we lowered our standards??

Posted by RIPunk

7:49 AM, May 21, 2008

Of course we have lowered our standards Wacker.

Tyrone Willingham is our Head Football Coach. How much lower can you get?

Posted by BoiseTruth

8:47 AM, May 21, 2008

Good stuff from Ted Miller, ripping the BCS-BS.

Posted by Gabe

10:12 AM, May 21, 2008

Picking up on Boise's comment from last thread, Sonny Sixkiller would be an excellent face of the program. A good case can be made, based on circumstances, expectations and performance, that he was the Greatest Husky of all. And he never got a big head about it . It's just what he expected to do, so no big deal, even though his sometimes miraculous plays produced shock and awe in the sports world. And Sonny Sixkiller certainly knew, and he still knows, that Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by Houston Dawg

10:24 AM, May 21, 2008

OWW:
It's kind of hard to recruit on the national level when your a 4-8 team. Not alot of guys across the country look at UDUB and say man that's where I want to go... I've got offers from SC, LSU and Ohio State but man UDUB is the place for me. Get real.

We have to win some games we're suppose to lose and do it on national TV. Then we might get a few of those kids. Of the 38 we're not recruiting how many are team guys? TW won't be bringing in guys at don't put the team first.

Posted by Dawg in the Couv

12:07 PM, May 21, 2008

What a travesty.....Locker is taking a break from throwing drills to take part in the UW Coaches tour? How could Ty allow this to happen - he's a worthless coach! Locker should be moved to Safety because he's gonna suck even worse...maybe even 2nd string safety...

:) Totally just kidding of course - I figured it was coming from the negadawgs.

Posted by onewoodwacker

12:57 PM, May 21, 2008

Houston - Why don't we at least offer them? If we had not offered Polk we would not have gotten him. Oregon, Arizona, Ucla, Cal, offer these recruits but not us.

Ty's "Team First" recruits have netted us what 15 wins in the last 4 years while those self-minded boys from Troy have been in or were a few injuries away from being in the last 5-6 National Title games.

If "Team First" is in fact Ty's main concern and he will recruit only those type of players, then I see no reason what-so-ever to expect a different result on the field.

I believe that he is dooming himself to failure just as he did at Notre Dame. Last years 3-9 squad at N.D. was Ty's second recruiting class there. This year will be his last recruiting class there.

If this years squad fails as miserable as last years I think we will have a good indication as to what we're in for here at Washington over the next few years.

Posted by Formerly Guest

1:58 PM, May 21, 2008

onewood,

I agree, you can't get the 5 star guy DB if you don't make an offer to him.

The catch may be that at the last minute, the 5 star guy picks USC over our offer. The 4 star back-up plan saw us going hard after the 5 star guy, so he signs with WSU with a few months to go so that he has a solid place to go and play. The 3 star guy double-back up plan also gets nervous waiting for UW to really indicate he is their first choice and signs with Utah. At the last minute we are left with no one, we are left with no good DBs to sign. So we take a reach, someone who is a great player who is falling through the cracks because he is a JC guy, may not qualify academically, or has legal problems.

This is sort of what happened to WSU after their 3 10-win seasons and they thought they could compete with the top tier programs for the top tier recruits, ignoring the type of players who had historically wanted to go to Pullman. I think Bob posted a link with a nice article about how this contributed to their APR mess.

I agree it seems TW appears really conservative in his recruting (whether it is him or Tormey) and I do not know if that is the right way to go. But I think I understand why they do it this way.

Or it may be that they are really lazy, and aren't trying. However, I think the entire staff understands that they have to work like dogs and have some success at this, as they don;t have a lot of job security to fall back on over the next 4-5 years.

I am not trying to make excuses for our recruiting, just to offer a possible explanation for the current strategy.

I don't know what strategy will work best, but do feel confident that if we don't win a ton of games this year, and don't put together a strong incoming class as well, there will be coaching changes.

Posted by Nebdawg

2:16 PM, May 21, 2008

Onewood, we've had 4 years of TW's recruits? really? Generally, his last recruiting class was very good. I think most people would be okay with the type of class UW signed this year.

Posted by Eddie

2:59 PM, May 21, 2008

Too bad his first 3 classes sucked. Maybe he finally got a decent one in year 4.

Why does it take Tyrone so long to get anything done?

Did anyone really think in year 4 of Willingham we would be hoping like heck just to have a 6-6 season?

Posted by John

4:16 PM, May 21, 2008

You guys must enjoy complaining for the sake of complaining, since it can't possibly change anything. Ty's here for another year whether you like it or not.

Posted by Houston Dawg

6:19 PM, May 21, 2008

I agree with at least offering them. But again most are not located on the west coast. And I don't think we travel nation wide like we probably should... Maybe do to the budget which may be lacking due to our lack of bowl appearances. It's kind of a catch 22.

Posted by MelloDawg

6:21 PM, May 21, 2008

I'd just like to say that there are LOADS of Negadawgs in this thread and I didn't even contribute anything to start such a discussion.

Posted by onewoodwacker

9:03 PM, May 21, 2008

Nebdawg - My complaint had nothing to do with the last recruiting class. My original complaint is posted in the third thread down.

It just doesn't appear that we offer the 5 star recruit. 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 we offered one player - Kavario Middleton - thats it.

This year Washington is only recruiting 2 of the top 40 kids USC is recruiting and USC has offered only 1 of those two kids a scholarship. One kid - Stan Hasiak.

All the kids Ty is recruiting are on USC's second and third pages.

Why aren't we at least offering these guys - that was my question.

Posted by onewoodwacker

9:22 PM, May 21, 2008

Houston - You make a good point concerning the budget. I understand that we spend about $250,000.00/year on recruiting. Colorado spent $500,000.00 last year (yes - Scout.com ranked our class 14th and Colorado was ranked 27th but Rivals.com had us at 24th and Colorado at 15th - so money isn't everything), but if we keep facing that kind of competitive difference it will not work out for us on a consistant basis.

John - not everyone who wants to see this program get back to its highest level wants to see Ty gone. I have made it perfectly clear over the past year that I am a Ty supporter and want him to succeed.

I'm saying he has to change the way he's doing things for that to happen. The defintion of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again - expecting different results. We will NEVER be able to compete with USC unless we get the same caliber of players USC is getting on a consistant basis - not ONE good class every 4 years.

Posted by MelloDawg

10:59 PM, May 21, 2008

onewood,

This is part of the crux of the Negadawgs' argument. If the Typologists wanted Willingham, then they will get 100% Willingham and no changes. That's how the man is. He's completely resistant to changing his style, both recruiting and on-field coaching.

Consider the fact that he JUST dissociated himself from his 13-year compatriot, Kent Baer, after Baer produced some of the worst defenses out there (the ones at ND were alright, I suppose, but in the Pac-10 he's been horrible).

Recruiting strategies are central to a college coach's philosophy; to think that Willingham will change it is foolhearty. I know that's not what you explicitly said, but I would not count on him changing.

It's not JUST on-field problems we have with Ty.

Posted by Houston Dawg

5:32 AM, May 22, 2008

Mello: I'll give you the Baer thing... But very few coach's can come in and turn a program around in 2 years. Especially when the talent level and wins & losses were what they were 4 years ago. If each year we improve, even if its only 1 or 2 wins the program is going in the right direction. Last year we all know we lost some games that we maybe should have won. But TY remedied that problem by bringing in a new DC. For recruiting, last years class and to some extent the class the year before was pretty good. Again we're improving. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day... Patience my fellow blogger.

GO DAWGS!!

Posted by MelloDawg

7:25 PM, May 22, 2008

Houston,

Appreciate the level-headed response. As for Ty turning things around in 2 years, believe me, I was on his bandwagon last year as well but the fact is that we lost some games we flat out shouldn't have (Oregon St, Washington St, Arizona). He got outcoached.

Should he be able to turn around a program in THREE years? I certainly expect a better finish than 10th place. Heck, I wasn't even asking for a bowl last year.

May 22, 08 - 11:02 AM
Interesting take on Willingham from Sportsline.com

May 22, 08 - 08:28 AM
Huskies "Blitz The Sound''

May 21, 08 - 09:23 PM
Answers, volume five

May 21, 08 - 01:29 PM
Locker baseball debut June 6

May 20, 08 - 09:32 PM
Locker to appear at Bellingham Coaches Tour

Family-friendly features that make traveling easier new
A friend of mine recently complained that she couldn't keep an eye on her kids while driving her Chrysler Town & Country minivan. "Why don't you use t...