Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 22, 2008 9:42 PM

Interesting story on Weis, Willingham salaries

Tyrone Willingham may be on the hottest seat of any college football coach in America, but at least it's a plush one.

This story today from the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Journal Gazette details how Willingham was paid $650,000 by Notre Dame from July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007 as part of the school's settlement when it fired him in 2004.

The story says that's more than the base salary of $598,000 paid to Charlie Weis, making Willingham the second-highest paid employee at Notre Dame for the 2006-07 fiscal year. Weis, however, has all kinds of other compensation as Coaches Hot Seat says that his total salary is $4.2 million a year.

That list puts Willingham's guaranteed compensation at 39th in the country and fourth in the Pac-10 at $1.47 million per year, behind Pete Carroll ($3.8 million), Mike Bellotti ($2.05 million) and Jeff Tedford ($1.85 million).

Drawing two salaries puts Willingham in a rare category of being among the highest-paid employees at two major universities at the same time. Willingham is the highest-paid employee at UW (which also makes him the highest-paid employee in the state). He can also make about another $400,000 in incentives (though $175,000 is pretty hard to reach as that's what he would get for winning the BCS title game). You can view his contract here.

So combining his Notre Dame and UW salaries means Willingham pulled in more than $2 million during that fiscal year.

One thing I'd forgotten in reviewing his contract is that it was amended in 2006 to award him $25,000 if the team's APR number is equal to or greater than "the cutpoint established by the NCAA.'' It was, when released earlier this month, making Willingham just a little bit richer.

Posted by 2Tite4U FoSho

10:48 PM, May 22, 2008

Posted by ballfan1

5:38 AM, May 23, 2008

Not enough.

Coach Ty's agents should have sued Notre Dame for the different treatment he got compared to Charlie W.

Posted by Tarn

7:04 AM, May 23, 2008

It looks as if Weis spends most of his time and money at the dinner table. Is the tunnel is large enough for him.? Someone should warn him. I would hate to see him miss watching Jake 2.0.

Posted by Old news

7:05 AM, May 23, 2008

This is a load of crap. THEY FIRED HIM! when he was still due money on his contract. Rather than making this comparison, they should be beating up ND for terminating him early when he was due so much money. But to combine the salaries when.. let me repeat... HE GOT FIRED with a valid contract, is silly. The only real comparison above is that he is 4th in the Pac-10 in salary. That is about right for UW. UW head coaches, just due to market forces, should be behind UCLA and USC, behind Oregon (due to Nike's largess), and close to Cal.

By the way, this is an old old story. An almost identical story was written last year - do they cite that story? Or they just repeating this dumb comparison and taking credit for some new finding?

Posted by LS Dawg

7:37 AM, May 23, 2008

Ty's seriously overpaid. The highest paid employee in the state, with an imperceptibly improving football team? That's just not right.

I'm not even taking into account his ND salary. It just ticks me off that he gets paid so much for producing so little.

Posted by Lou Holtz

7:44 AM, May 23, 2008

Does Weis have a food and custom khaki allowance in his contract?

Posted by UWHuskytSkeet

8:15 AM, May 23, 2008

Only $500,000 a win. What a steal!

Posted by pattapit

8:31 AM, May 23, 2008

Caesar texted me yesterday... and he signed with CFL BC Lions. If anyone cares... he was definately a fun player to watch in college and brought a little spark every now and then when times were rough.

Posted by Dave

9:19 AM, May 23, 2008

Best of luck to Caesar, that was a great moment in the Fresno State game when he blocked the PAT to save the win.

(I can't wait to see what our resident classicist Gabe makes of the Caesar news)

Posted by pattapit

9:56 AM, May 23, 2008

well dave speaking good times I hope we have some this year. My brother will be a freshman. I get the joy of showing him tailgating, beer bonging, BBQing, jello shots, etc. This is probably the most excited I've been since I was a freshman and we went to Pasadina. I just hope we have something to root for. Besides the worries I now have for Center after this spring ball, the more I look, the more I am optomistic and excited. I have a good feeling, and the last one of those I had was the blocked PAT you spoke of when we got a little riled up. Before that was a road trip to San Diego to lose in the final seconds to TX... I really hope my brother and I get to take a road trip this year.

May 23, 08 - 08:50 AM
Rayford signs with BC Lions

May 22, 08 - 09:42 PM
Interesting story on Weis, Willingham salaries

May 22, 08 - 08:58 PM
Tuiasosopo back to Raiders

May 22, 08 - 11:02 AM
Interesting take on Willingham from Sportsline.com

May 22, 08 - 08:28 AM
Huskies "Blitz The Sound''

GM tries again to tap into midsize-truck segmentnew
The muscular 2015 Chevy Colorado — new metal in the stale midsize pickup segment — may lug more bicycles and kayaks than bricks and lumber...