Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 20, 2008 2:19 PM

ESPN asking for help defining "Face of the Program''

Here's kind of a fun off-season thing from ESPN.com, which is soliciting fans of every college team for their help in defining what they think is the "Face of the Program.''

Here's the link, and the apparent idea is for fans to suggest what they think is the greatest defining image of the program they follow.

Not a lot of responses so far, but I would probably have to agree with those who have suggested Don James. College programs are inevitably defined by their coaches since the players turn over so rapidly, and while I know there are some who might suggest that Jim Owens had as big an impact on UW as did James --- that without Owens there couldn't have been James --- I think James' overall record just speaks a little more loudly. The guy who wrote in that Husky Stadium itself is the real face of the program might not be far off, either. Just don't tell all the people who want to bulldoze it.

Posted by 2Tite4U FoSho

2:42 PM, May 20, 2008

,p>FIRST

ofton imitated never duplicated,p>FIRST
ofton imitated never duplicated,p>FIRST
ofton imitated never duplicated

Posted by MelloDawg

2:55 PM, May 20, 2008

Obviously Don James, though if you ask some people around here, Tyrone Willingham is slowly usurping James as the best all-around coach both on and off the field in UW history.

Posted by yellodawg

3:09 PM, May 20, 2008

I think it should be mellodawg and his rusty trombone

Posted by Gabe

3:22 PM, May 20, 2008

Face of the Program. In terms of impact on the program over the last ten years, it is a two-faced tie between Babs Hedges and Ricky N. Assuming this calls for a positive face, then the winner should be a composite of the ordinary, run of the mill, long-suffering, down-trodden fan we see at games year in and year out, hoping against hope, cheering on the team no matter what, and having to put up with all the arrogant, overpaid characters on Montlake and Upper Campus who pretend to own the program and live large on public largesse. The fan is the face of the program (and I'm not talking Tyee here). And from long experience the fans also know best that Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by SnohomishRick

3:23 PM, May 20, 2008

I've always pictured mello as the fat kid playing Tuba.

Posted by Huskiebob

3:35 PM, May 20, 2008

The people who want to bulldoze Husky Stadium are not Husky fans. Might be more appropriate to bulldoze a certain Stadium in the middle of a NE Washington wheat field...the name escapes me. That is where many of those who want to bulldoze Husky Stadium reside!

Posted by Diehard

3:37 PM, May 20, 2008

To me the defining image of UW football is Steve Emtmann pointing skywards arms outstretched summoning the gods after a sack.

Posted by Houston Dawg

3:49 PM, May 20, 2008

For all us glory year guys, Don James is the face of the program. But I would have to stick with the beauty of the stadium. The view of the boats, mountains and water ARE what Saturdays from August to December are all about. There's no better atmosphere anywhere in college football.

GO DAWGS!!

Posted by mattysimone

4:03 PM, May 20, 2008

I like that diehard....image wise or mario bailey standing up and doin the heisman after his td in the national championship!

Posted by duckieswin

4:22 PM, May 20, 2008

"The Pick" - Need I say more.

Posted by SnohomishRick

4:33 PM, May 20, 2008

duckies win, Is that one of the times they caught Bullshoti with his finger up his nose?

Posted by pdxdawg

4:34 PM, May 20, 2008

dukieswin- the face of Oregon's program can be their last Rose Bowl win.....in 1917!

Posted by SnohomishRick

4:37 PM, May 20, 2008

Our Dear Friend Mello, Your admiring fans want the truth about the instrument you played back in your glory days. And do you still participate in the Alumni band?

Posted by duckieswin

5:03 PM, May 20, 2008

or The Pick - Johnathan Stewart from Lacey WA.

No one cares about Rose Bowl's anymore, well except Tom Hanson at the Big-10 idiot.

Maybe Ty should be "the pick"

Posted by John

5:27 PM, May 20, 2008

Correction: you don't care about Rose Bowls, because your school hasn't won one for 90 + years.

Posted by KelsoDuck

5:43 PM, May 20, 2008

Hang on to the past John, because your world looks pretty bleak without it.

Posted by Eugene Husky

5:45 PM, May 20, 2008

DuckiesWin:

I think your face of the U of O could be a 1/2 clothed Colleen Bellotti, enjoying the view out at Fern Ridge reservoir with a "friend" as she, uh, cough cough, is looking for her contact lens that fell in her friend's lap.....

......or could it be her drunk-ass berating a Duck's beat reporter in the media box during a game last year over his moral obligation to not report on her, uh, drunk-driving son. It is a tight race between those 2 recent moments for the Duck's outstanding "Face" of the program.

VOTE! Colleen Bellotti for FACE OF OREGON!

Posted by KelsoDuck

5:57 PM, May 20, 2008

The Times already nailed the face of the Huskies with the series on the 2001 team a few months ago.

Posted by Eugene Husky

6:32 PM, May 20, 2008

kelso, talk about living in the past. you are one funny hypocrite! but hey, that is obvious because you are a DUCK always present on a HUSKY blog!

Posted by John

6:41 PM, May 20, 2008

Win a Rose bowl, then talk.

Posted by Josh

6:46 PM, May 20, 2008

EMTMAN.

Posted by good ol' george

6:52 PM, May 20, 2008

Face of the program is Don James. He brought the Huskies into national prominence at a time when the country only heard about USC or UCLA from the West Coast.

Posted by MelloDawg

7:12 PM, May 20, 2008

Rick,

Since you asked a serious question, I will give you a serious answer under the pretense that you actually WANT to know.

"Mello" in the name is short for mellophone, it looks like a big trumpet (french horn player, by nature). I still do the alumni band when possible. The advantage to playing an instrument is that you can always enjoy doing so, even if the product on the field makes you abhor the game of football.

Posted by Blue

7:48 PM, May 20, 2008

Well, if we're really talking "glory years", you gotta hand it to Gil Dobie :)

Posted by AZ Dawg

7:56 PM, May 20, 2008

If it could be a collective face it would have to be that "Dawgfather" poster with Don James, James "Baby Face" Clifford, Dave "The Hitman", Jaime "The Freak" Fields, and whatever nickname Brett Collins had. Damn that was a cool poster!

Posted by LFPDawg

8:01 PM, May 20, 2008

Hmmm, I've always pictured mello as well, that guy that marches in my section at alumni games. Golly gee. Mildly attractive, can be a jackass, but is generally well liked. May be mistaken for a trumpet if without instrument. Actually, even with instrument. Alumni

The face of the Husky program? That could go a few ways:
a. Purple. We're one of about three schools that have purple as a school color.
b. Don James
c. Jake Locker
d. Husky Stadium

I think that Husky Stadium will truly be the face of the program once it's remodeled.

Posted by BTown Fan

8:30 PM, May 20, 2008

AZ Dawg, thanks for bringing back that great memory.

I think it was Chico "The Freak" Fraley in there with Clifford, Hoffmann, Fields and Collins.

I don't remember the nicknames for Fields and Collins, but what a group of studs.

Posted by SnohomishRick

8:31 PM, May 20, 2008

Mello, Thanks for the info. I was a perccusionist myself. Played snare drum in marching band and whatever they needed me on in Jazz and concert band.

Posted by jakeisaverage

8:48 PM, May 20, 2008

Eugene Husky -

I am not sure you want to druge up every "indecent" incident, that is a LONG LONG LONG list for the pups. Colleen blowing a athlectic dept guy in the car is old news and John S. is a well known hack. Good YouTube stuff though! Swallowed!

I think "the pick" is J. Pharms pissing himself to show his "insantity". Quality indvidual. How about DJ quitting in the prime of his career before the heat got too hot?

Enjoy the tired rose bowls, UW and Michigan living only in history.......and the Ducks own both at this point....

Posted by onewoodwacker

9:22 PM, May 20, 2008

Many great comments boys and girls.

I can't vote for Don James - I love him to death but the facts are true. It was his wacth. It was his program. It was his recruits.

I still hold the image of him - Quitting because the Pac-10 had the nerve to question what he said. Quitting because the UW did not back him the way he thought they should.

I absolutely believe that if he would have stayed on, we would have gone through our probation with flying colors and this University would not be where it is today. Instead, he taught every young man he coached that although he expects them to fight through adversity, when he's faced with it - quit.

Thats just the way I see it when it comes to Coach James.

I would have to agree with those who voted for the Stadium and the Fans.

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:07 PM, May 20, 2008

I have to admit, the Ducks have been killing us of late.

But I love the fact that their defining moment remains "the pick." They have -and always will-measure themselves against us. It really is a form of flattery. They are permanently damaged, from a psychological standpoint, by all those years of frustration.

It is like that scene in (I think) Billy Madison, where the 40 YO adult has spent the past 30 years planning revenge on all those cool kids who kept him down in junior high.

Posted by onewoodwacker

6:58 AM, May 21, 2008

Here's an eye-opener. According to USC's Scout.com site - out of their top 40 recruiting prospects, Washington is also recruiting just 2 of them. I ask, have we lowered our standards??

Posted by OrDawg

7:27 AM, May 21, 2008

So, I have to go with the person who played LB, was a GA, coach, coordinator and head coach...Jim Lambright. His impact through all those years is hard to measure but pretty spectacular. All those crushing defenses he put together and coached, all those recruites he personally brought in. His excitment and passion for the program. When he left he said it...he bleeds purple and gold and always will!
James would not have had the success without him!

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:42 AM, May 21, 2008

I think DJ is probably the most logical choice, but If I were picking a player, I'd have to throw out a sentimental vote for Sonny Sixkiller. The Sixkiller era was one of the most exciting, and fun times in Huskies football. It was made even better because it came on the heels of the totally miserable 69' season, and all the other turmoil that was going on with the UW team at the time.

I'll never forget picking up the Sunday paper and seeing the Michigan State - UW score opening game of the 70' season. Sonny thrashed 'em. Totally unexpected joy, with much more to follow. When he appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, the pride we all had in him, and the program can't really be expressed well enough (by me) to even try. Great times. Thanks again Sonny.

Posted by multiple items

10:20 AM, May 21, 2008

* Husky Stadium is my vote. However, it needs to be completely reworked. It should keep the same feel -- with lake and mountain views, but they should get rid of the track, bring the seats closer, get quality seating (like Seahawks stadium), add a 2nd deck above the closed end, and improve the concessions, concourses, and bathrooms.
* Why do duck and cougar morons continue to come here to prove what jack-asses they really are? As if there's not enough reason to hate them!
* Continuing -- maybe when either school actually wins a meaningful game, they could crow. But neither whoregon or wazzu has won a significant game in my lifetime. (Rose Bowl, national championship, etc.) They've had some decent years, but nobody outside of the northwest even knows their schools exist.
* I grew up in southwest Washington, and Kelso is the anus of our state. Take away the losers, druggies, drunks, meth heads, and wife beaters, and the population would be about zero.

All for now.

Posted by andrew

10:54 AM, May 21, 2008

Count my vote for Husky Stadium. As much as Don James means to this program, bringing a winning tradition and whatnot, he's been gone for what, 16 years now? With all due respect, it is time to move on. He is gone, but certainly not forgotten. Heck, I don't even know what the guy looks like, and I doubt any of my friends do either. And honestly, I had never even heard of him before coming to school here. But every time I drive by the stadium, or see pictures of it, I am quickly reminded of the pride we Huskies all feel. Proud to cheer for our team, even through tough times. Yes, we had glorious years under James, but times have changed. If and when we finally climb out of the cellar, are we going to be thinking. Plus, there is a statue of the guy in front of the stadium, so picking Husky Stadium would be shooting two birds with one stone. It's time to stop living in the past.

Posted by LockerNation

11:00 AM, May 21, 2008

How about the Duches? I'll vote for that... and their husky beer on tap

Posted by HMFD 82

12:13 PM, May 21, 2008

Andrew-
That's a statue of Jim Owens, the coach before DJ. It's unfortunate that you don't know DJ that well, he was the best the Huskies ever had. He will be hard to replace, even after 16 years, we Husky fans still can't let him go. That's how much he meant to the Husky community. It was just odd/hard to see him quit, when he always told our young men to never give up. Even after he quit back in '92, his impression is still felt on the program, so it's hard to not use DJ as the face of UW.

It's interesting what "onewoodwacker" said about DJ leaving in the face of adversity, and it's pretty true. But everyone is a hypocrite. My dad even had disappointment/angst when I asked him about the issues of why DJ left. We as Husky fans will never fully know why he left, of course there are the obvious answer(s), babs and gerberding not supporting or backing DJ when he really needed it.

DJ is hard not to vote for, because of what he brought to UW. I would vote for Jim Lambright, since he was a homegrown as is myself, and his climb to head coach (unfortunately through the wrong circumstances) which hits me pretty good for a face of the program.

That Entman picture/poster that "Diehard" thought is a good one too, and that Dawgfather picture/poster "AZ Dawg" and "BTown Fan" with the gang mentality behind DJ was freakin awesome.

My vote goes to the Entman pose followed closely by DJ and right behind DJ would have to be Husky Stadium.

Go Dawgs!!!

Posted by andrew

2:10 PM, May 21, 2008

HMFD 82 - Thanks for your insight. I feel like a jackass now, but that's okay. I just feel like Husky Stadium would be much more symbollic, not only for its unique structure and beautiful setting, but also because it has been there through good times and bad. I just think it would fully capture the full "face" of the program.

Posted by HMFD 82

3:20 PM, May 21, 2008

Andrew-
Don't feel like a jackass, it's not your fault UW didn't put up a statue for a man who brought a lot more to UW than Owens did. That's the thing, with all the allure and lasting impression DJ left, anybody who has never seen a picture of DJ would figure that statue of Owens is would be DJ, with respect to Owens of course. Seriously, don't feel like a jackass, the UW is the one that is screwed up.

When Entman was honored at the Stanford game in '06, my guess is that UW thought they would be able to beat the 'furd, low and behold, we LOSE to stanford. In fact, UW was the only team to lose to stanford that year, and we didn't just lose, we got our ass handed to us while trying to honor one of the greatest (if not the greatest) players in Husky history. It was beyond pathetic. I don't know who's idea it was, maybe turner idea, that would make sense.

In my eyes, and I don't think I'm alone, UW has a long way to go to reestablish the trust between them and the fans. To hire some one(Turner) who is sooo incompetent of knowing what college football is all about, and letting them do everything but hold standards to the people they hire(Willingham) goes to show they have no standards for themselves. Turner never once turned the heat on Willingham, not once.

To raise ticket prices after a losing season, and then next ask for LARGE donations to renovate Husky Stadium after another losing season is ludicrous.

The only good thing going for UW is there Prez and Locker, I know what I said earlier, but unlike Turner, Emmert actually has standards. I know UW got a good recruiting class coming in, but that just came in, we can't judge how good until they mature(finishing their sophomore/entering their junior year, give or take a few players).

UW has more than a football team to rebuild...

Go Dawgs!!!

Posted by MelloDawg

6:23 PM, May 21, 2008

HMFD,

Just to clarify exactly what you said, you noted that the ONLY thing going for us is Locker and Emmert. I agree.

Are you still involved in percussion, btw?

Posted by SnohomishRick

8:08 PM, May 21, 2008

Mello I'm assuming you were asking me about percusion. The answer is no. Not for thirty years, other than driving my wife crazy because I'm always tapping out rythyms with my finger without even thinking about it.

Posted by Ducks 45 Dawgs 13

9:17 PM, May 21, 2008

DJ left because he's a quitter and couldn't handle being busted after cheating for so many years. Anybody who can't see that is clueless.

I think Lambright is the face of UW football.

Posted by whoregon duck fan

10:24 AM, May 22, 2008

hey loser (i.e. -- duck fan)

Go play in a busy street or something. Nobody cares what you think, so just go away.

Maybe when the nike ducks have accomplished anything to speak of, we'll take some small interest in hearing from the likes of you. But until then, crawl back under your rock you dork.

Posted by HMFD 82

11:20 AM, May 22, 2008

Mello-
I'm not involved in percussion as much as I use to be, but I still do the occasional alumni band at football games from time to time. I mean how cool is it to get into a game for free, you just can't beat that, and the seats aren't that bad. Hell, we use to be a few feet from the west endzone, until some one drunk got carried away...literally.

I can't believe it took people soo long to figure out what you played, that was pretty funny...

May 22, 08 - 11:02 AM
Interesting take on Willingham from Sportsline.com

May 22, 08 - 08:28 AM
Huskies "Blitz The Sound''

May 21, 08 - 09:23 PM