Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 13, 2008 10:21 AM

Answers, volume two

Here we go with round two of our answers (and hopefully it turns out better than Joe Frazier's round two in Kingston, Jamaica 35 years ago).

Q: What's the latest with the renovation of Husky Stadium?

A: Not a lot at the moment. What the school is trying to do now is get the funding sorted out. As detailed here, the school lobbied the state legislature last session for $150 million, which would be about half of the $300-310 million needed for the project. That proposal didn't get anywhere, but the school plans to try again next year when it will have more time to prepare its case, as well as having a new athletic director in the fold --- and maybe a clearing up of the Sonics' situation which is muddying the waters a little bit. Until then, there doesn't figure to be a lot of substantive action.

Q: Besides Jake Locker, which player is the most crucial to the team's success next year, and why?

A: In the bad news department, I would have answered Juan Garcia heading into spring ball. As the leader of what besides Locker is the strength of the team, I thought Garcia would have been the second-most valuable player on the team next fall (and who knows? Maybe he will make that miraculous recovery and be around next year). Otherwise, I'll go with defensive end Daniel Te'o-Nesheim. As the only player on the defensive front with any significant experience, you would think that he has to stay healthy and have a big year for the defense to make any legit improvement this fall. He's made 25 consecutive starts and was the team's defensive MVP last year, more evidence of his worth to the team. And while somewhat soft-spoken, he also appears to be maturing into a real leader, as well.

Q: All 13 UW games were on TV last year but I notice only three have been picked up so far. How many do you think will be on this year?

A: It wouldn't surprise me at all if all 12 games are again on TV this year. Remember that the recent announcement of three TV games was just the first of the TV selections for the year. There will be another one in June when FSN will make its picks, and I would imagine five or so Husky games could be picked up then. Any games not selected in the summer will then be subject to being six- or 12-day picks during the season. Given the conference's more varied TV deals now in place, most Pac-10 games are getting aired somewhere. And given the historical strength of the Seattle TV market when it comes to Husky games, UW contests are highly-valued. Also, the school's TV deal with FSN requires the network to make every possible effort to get every game on.

Q: Which UW players do you think have a chance at earning All-Pac-10 honors next season?

A: One thing you always have to look at when trying to make these kinds of guesses are the areas where the rest of the conference is strong. I had someone propose to me recently that two or three of UW's linebackers could be All-Pac-10 guys next fall. Certainly, that's a UW strength heading into next year. But it's also a Pac-10 strength as guys like USC's Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga and Cal's Zack Follett --- all either first- or second-teamers last year or the year before --- return this year. So that will be a highly competitive spot. Given the relative dearth of experienced QBs in the league, Locker has a chance at making one of the top two teams depending on how he progresses --- in fact, I've heard of one magazine that is likely to name Locker to its all-conference second team behind ASU's Rudy Carpenter. Te'o-Nesheim also has a good shot --- six of the eight DLs who were honored last year are gone. Garcia would have had a good chance. Should he return healthy, I would think Ryan Tolar would have the best chance of any of UW's other O-linemen. Despite what I said earlier about the strength at LB in the conference this year, I think E.J. Savannah has a chance if he plays the way he did in the spring game, when he appeared to be a really good fit for the new defense. If that game is any indication, Savannah could put up some big tackle numbers. There is obviously a lot of potential among some of the young players, but I think it's a little early to say any of them could be a first- or second-teamer this year --- there were no freshmen position players on the first- or second-team last year and only two sophomores. In other words, experience matters.

More later.

Posted by Gabe

11:30 AM, May 13, 2008

Agree Teo-N is very good choice as most important. D-line must get pressure this year in order to get a few 3 and outs per half. Still can't figure out why they were so bad last year, especially Gunheim, who seemed so promising. Whoever ends up at free safety is also a good choice for most important. . . . . whatever else, Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by Malibu

11:44 AM, May 13, 2008

As usual, thanks Bob!
Malibu

Posted by Guest

12:33 PM, May 13, 2008

2Tite,
the 5:55pm 5/12 post on the "answers volume 1" thread was not me, but someone else posting under the name I normally use...

Posted by IBC2991

12:36 PM, May 13, 2008

UW getting any LB's on the 1st-team Pac-10 team is quite a reach.

The three guys Bob mentioned, plus Greg Trent and Andy Mattingly from WSU; Trent was 2nd-team and Mattingly was Honorable-Mention. Oregon State has proven they reload at the LB position too, they'll have someone in the mix.

Posted by Guest

1:15 PM, May 13, 2008

it's me, or is it?

Posted by Guest

1:16 PM, May 13, 2008

Poser Guest - this is really me.

Posted by Guest

1:17 PM, May 13, 2008

Stop it!

Posted by OlyDawg

1:25 PM, May 13, 2008

Hate to break it to you, but we're all guests, as this blog requires no registration to make comments.

Posted by Guest

1:43 PM, May 13, 2008

But this is such a clever, unique handle; why would anyone want to impersonate it?!

Posted by Chris Miller

1:49 PM, May 13, 2008

I'll take Locker over Carpenter any day. It's not even close in my book.

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by Formerly Guest

1:54 PM, May 13, 2008

Hey there,

the 12:33 pm post was me. The others under "Guest" were not.

I have been using the name "Guest" since about October, when I started reading the board.

Yes, "Guest" is really kind of a loser choice of a name and I regret I didn't spend 5 seconds to think of something better at the time.

I'll pick something else now, like "Formerly Guest" and use that instead. It is not much better, but Oh well.

I can't really deprive you of your joy of screwing with me, and can't stop you from jumping in under "Formerly Guest" and continuing to post away at my expense. But I would rather you didn't criticize other posters when you do that.

Thanks man!

Posted by Formerly Guest

1:56 PM, May 13, 2008

Bob,

New question: Other folks on the board here keep pointing out we have no commits yet. When do you expect some getting locked up? By end of May? Not until fall?

Posted by Chris Miller

2:24 PM, May 13, 2008

Bob,

I'm not sure if you reported this but BYU RB Manase Tonga will miss the entire 2008 season.

This hurts the BYU depth at RB and puts a lot more pressure on Harvey Unga.

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by NateDawg

3:05 PM, May 13, 2008

Bob, thanks for all of your time and effort. I have a question, what is your gut feeling about the secondary? Do you think that we have the athletes to play some coverage that allows us to jam the recievers at the line of scrimage. I was encouraged by the way our safeties (Victor Ayawa and Nate Williams) looked in the spring game, but am not so confident about our cornerbacks (Mosley, Davenport, Richardson, etc). Your thoughts?

NateDawg

Posted by Mike D

3:13 PM, May 13, 2008

When do you expect to hear Garcia's status?

Posted by huskygreg

3:15 PM, May 13, 2008

Bob,
One question that always has bugged me. Why does the big FOX (channel 13 in Seattle) not broadcast any College Football? We always complain about the weak FSN coverage, but do you have any insights as to why FOX doesn't have a pac-10 game of the week? They do bowl games well.

Come on Tom Hansen, git r done!!

Posted by Fill Nite

8:21 PM, May 13, 2008

Too late for questions? If not, how many years until get up to 7th place?

Posted by 2Tite4U FoSho

1:08 AM, May 14, 2008

2Tite is da HOWZ!!! What iz up wit U Guest guyz? I ain't up to nothin strong. ain't me baby! I'z just tryin to get my groove back on, U no what I mean?

Posted by Husky Fan

11:13 PM, May 14, 2008

I believe that many of you are under estimated the defense this year. I believe that you will all be in for a big surprize as far as the secondary goes. Certain linebacker's will be instrumental in stopping the competition and will win many accolades.

May 14, 08 - 03:40 PM
A.D. update

May 14, 08 - 11:11 AM
Wednesday notes and links

May 13, 08 - 10:25 PM
Answers, volume three

May 13, 08 - 05:31 PM
Reece signs with Raiders

May 13, 08 - 10:21 AM
Answers, volume two

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...