Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 19, 2008 3:00 PM

Answers, volume four

Here we go with another round.

Q: Any update on Emeka Iweka?

A: The one-time Rainier Beach High star who signed with UW in 2007, then was declared ineligible, is finishing up his freshman year at Arizona Western JC in Yuma. He has said he plans to return to UW once he is done at Arizona Western For the immediate future, his plan is to play next fall at Arizona Western after sitting out this year to rehab an Achilles injury suffered playing basketball in high school. Jim Howell, the SID at Arizona Western, said Eweka "had a great spring'' and is expected to see significant playing time this fall. If he graduates next year, he could then sign with a D-I school and have three years of eligibility remaining. But since he went there as a non-qualifier, he has to graduate first to play at the D-I level.

Eweka isn't the only Washington product at Arizona Western. Howell said that one-time UW signee Keauntea Bankhead , who played last season at Arizona Western, was due to graduate this weekend and is mulling over where to continue his football career next fall. Howell was unsure exactly which schools have inquired but said Bankhead had some offers (though I don't think from any D-I's). He said Bankhead had a GPA around 3.5.

Also at Arizona Western is former Rainier Beach High star Shelton Danzy, who signed with WSU a few years ago. Howell said Danzy also had a great spring and is expected to generate a lot of interest from recruiters next fall, when he will be a sophomore.

Also on the roster is Zach Gavin, an Eisenhower High grad who is expected to be the starting QB for Arizona Western this fall. Howell said Gavin is also already getting some D-I interest. Gavin is the son of former Ike coach Greg Gavin, who was also the coach for UW center Juan Garcia. Greg Gavin became something of a mentor to Garcia, something I detailed a few years ago.

Q: Will freshmen such as Luther Leonard and Johri Fogerson remain at their current positions or play somewhere else this year?

A: Freshmen are always susceptible to being moved, and almost every year, a few are, such as Nate Williams last season. But the plan at the moment is for all the freshmen to get an initial look at their listed position, meaning running back for Fogerson and quarterback for Leonard. There is lots of speculation that Fogerson could eventually end up on defense, and it would be little surprise if that happens down the road, as such moves are common --- again, reference Williams a year ago. Remember, UW brings in four RBs next year (not including Chris Polk, also a true freshman but already here) so as things shake out and a pecking order is established, a switch or two is likely. Two of the five RBs brought in last year have moved --- Williams and Curtis Shaw to WR. Leonard's situation is a little different as UW is light on depth at QB right now --- the Huskies will have four on scholarship next fall, two being true freshmen Leonard and Dominique Blackman. So while lots of recruiting analysts who have seen these guys play say they wouldn't be surprised to see them at another position someday, need alone indicates they will get really long looks at QB first. UW coaches said on signing day that they Leonard was something of a sleeper as a QB prospect and that they did not sign him with the intent of moving him, but rather to play him at QB.

Q: I've heard lots of stories about Tyrone Willingham's workout prowess, that players sometimes can't beat him in certain exercises. Can you shed any light on that?

A: Not a lot. Obviously I could ask the players but it just hasn't come up much so I never really have, and this is the kind of thing I might have a better handle on if we had a little more access to the program. I can say that in the little bit of practice we get to see, Willingham is often an active participant in some of the exercises, such as the Husky jacks that conclude warm-ups, or running routes and throwing passes. He is obviously in good shape for any age, and especially for his age (54) so I wouldn't be surprised if there is truth to the anecdotes you have heard.

If I haven't gotten to your question yet, I plan to soon. But I am intentionally parceling these out in stages to try to keep the blog fresh --- it's a long time until August.

Posted by 3 of 5

3:41 PM, May 19, 2008

thanks for answering the questions bob.

One question I have: how is Sedillo coming along as a replacement center? Anything he really needs to work on?

Posted by 2Tite...Whatever

3:42 PM, May 19, 2008

FIRST! 2Tite is 2Slow!

Posted by 2Tite4U FoSho

3:50 PM, May 19, 2008

THIRD

Give a bro a break. Step out side for a few secs and u give me hard time

Posted by Gabe

5:31 PM, May 19, 2008

Formerly Guest, who are the 2-4 newcomers you think will play next year? If Ta'amu is one, which position does he play? Really informative comments from a bunch of people on last string. Don't forget that Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by Derek Johnson

5:42 PM, May 19, 2008

I asked CJ Wallace about that a couple years ago, and he said it was in some jump rope exercise that Willingham was kicking the butts of a lot of the players.

Posted by Gabe

5:52 PM, May 19, 2008

Formerly Guest, sorry about the oversight. I see you answered my question in your last post (Polk, MIddleton, Noble). What's your take on Ta/amu playing? He's not on your list. I thought people were looking to him to play---and he could be important because Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by Blue

7:36 PM, May 19, 2008

What's all this about Bankhead? It's a year and a half old, but I was wondering if there is any relevance at this point (plus I can't read the full article anyway). http://washingtonstate.scout.com/a.z?s=137&p=2&c=614062&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fwashingtonstate.scout.com%2f2%2f614062.html

Posted by BTown Fan

7:38 PM, May 19, 2008

Adam Long was mentioned by JD Williams as a true freshman that will play at least on special teams this year. He has too much speed to not get on the field.

I'm also thinking Bruns and Kearse will get long looks if they prove they can catch the ball.

Everette Thompson, Noble and Ta'amu will get looks because the depth on the d line is so suspect.

Posted by Jonathan

8:00 PM, May 19, 2008

Bankhead's eligiblity clock started four years ago. To my knowledge he only has 1 year of eligiblity left anyways.

Posted by tom ross

8:34 PM, May 19, 2008

In terms of Bankhead, this is a sad tale. Failed to even take the required test, abandoned the UW for (allegedly) WSU, didn't stay at the first JC or graduate. Now, after graduating in 2002 from Ballard he is STILL trying to get his act together. I admire his persistence but his playing days are coming to an end. Maybe he could catch on in Canada. I hope he does well, but he is not someone we should expect to ever see anywhere around here. What a shame and what a waste. He certainly had talent but it has been squandered.

Posted by Formerly Guest

8:38 PM, May 19, 2008

Gabe,
I was thinking of Ta/amu as a possible 4th. He is big, so if he can be an immovable object and his technique is not light years behind Pac-10 level, I see him maybe getting on the field. Based on what I have read on him -which may not be accurate - I suspect he will need a couple years to develop into a big contributor.

I see the Btown thinks Kearse, Bruns and Thompson playing regularly next year. I see them benefitting from a redshirt year and I see depth (atleast at WR) that is no less unproven than Bruns and Kearse.

But hey, we won't really know until late August I guess.

So I couldn't figure out why no D1 programs are looking at Bankhead. I guess it is this deal where he only has 1 year of eligibility left?

Posted by 1234

1:11 AM, May 20, 2008

bankhead graduated in 2004.

Posted by Houston Dawg

5:52 AM, May 20, 2008

I really hope that we play well enough to not have to burn the big guys redshirt years. We need to keep the bigs in the program all five years. If JWF could have had a another year that guy could have the potential to be an All American or at least All Pac-10. They may be big, but they have no clue the change in talent from HS to the college level.

Posted by Yolanda

6:53 AM, May 20, 2008

Doesn't sound like you have much insight on the AD search Bob.

Sources?

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:01 AM, May 20, 2008

Bankhead is a kid who obviously excelled at Football but for what ever reason couldn't find his way in the classroom on a consistent basis.
There are many people who don't excel in High School but do great in College. There are some who don't get interested in education until they are older.
There are some who never get school but do well in sports (Mike Sellers, TE Washington Redskins, went to North Thurston HS - don't know if he even graduated from HS (a paperclip may have had more classroom aptitude), but certainly he did not go to College - obviously a great athlete though).
I think Tom Ross is right - this kid goes to Canada and makes a name for himself, then will get a shot at the Pros.

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:06 AM, May 20, 2008

Does anyone know what happened to Ashlee Palmer? Thanks

Posted by BoiseTruth

7:27 AM, May 20, 2008

Ashlee Palmer is at Ole Miss

Posted by onewoodwacker

7:49 AM, May 20, 2008

Thanks Boise - I thought he committed and signed with the Dub? How did he get to Ole' Miss?

Posted by Caldawg

8:12 AM, May 20, 2008

Bob, from your article on AD search seems like it would be any easy decision between Stull and Lopes. Let's see. Stull is a Husky, Lopes is USC. Stull gets a vote from the Dawg Father. Lopes might be able to get a vote of confidence from Barbara "the B**** " Hedges. Hope the search committee doesn't lay awake at night trying to get this one right. Not to mention we have the Bush and Mayo deals still pending at USC.

Posted by K2MountainMan

8:20 AM, May 20, 2008

Bob,

Do you ever feel this kind of pressure that Tressel is referencing in the following exerpt?

"COACH TRESSEL: You know, our world, the four people here, is really a race against time, and the biggest problem we have is time. I wouldn't even know how to get on the internet to look at a thing, a website or something like that.

Now, do we have people that keep us aware of this recruit is visiting Kansas this week and he's in Washington and all that? We're kept aware. But along with what Ty is talking a little bit about, I think my sense is not a distrust of the media; I feel bad for the media because there's a lot of guys that cover us every day that have wonderful things in mind and get pushed from somewhere else to talk about this or talk about that. You're getting ready to go on interviews sometimes and the guy puts the microphone down and says, I don't really want to ask you this, but upstairs they're making me, and all that business. "

Thanks.

Posted by Kamal

8:26 AM, May 20, 2008

I think the following freshman play based on needs.

WR Aguilar, Polk, Boyles
TE Middleton
DT Noble
DE Kelemete or Thompson

Additionally, others could contribute on special teams based on experience, speed, or maturity. I see Mangum, Long and Dailey falling into this category.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

8:27 AM, May 20, 2008

Who is Lopes?

We are getting someone from USCs Athletic Department!!! The administration that screwed up ROYALLY on thier two top athletes from the past few decades?

What the heck are we doing?!?!

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:13 AM, May 20, 2008

Onewood,

Just going off memory here, but I think grades kept him out of UW. He went the JC route (Compton I think). After that he signed with Ole Miss.

9:33 AM, May 20, 2008

On Bankhead --- I actually couldn't really figure out from talking with the guy at Arizona Western what Bankhead's eligibility is. But I think he didn't enroll anywhere his first year so he could have two years left. He played last year at the JC which would indicate he was a sophomore in standing there.

On the AD search --- I wrote a new post with a link to the story today. I admit this one has been a tough nut to crack so far but doing my best to pass along what I can verify.

Ashlee Palmer didn't get admitted to UW, but was able to get admitted at Ole Miss, so he ended up there playing linebacker last season. Here's his bio

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:14 AM, May 20, 2008

Kamal,

I agree that Boyles and Aguilar will play some, but I was counting them as redshirt FR rather than true frosh.

Posted by onewoodwacker

12:12 PM, May 20, 2008

I feel a little misled. I obtained this information from the website below. Was taken back to find out that the UW football team APR ranked between 60th-70th nationally.

I looked it up because Ashlee Palmer couldn't qualify at the Dub but qualified at Ole Miss.

Was really shocked when I found that Ole Miss scored higher than us in Football APR

NCAA Division I 2006 - 2007 Academic Progress Rate Public Report

Institution: University of Washington Date of Report: 05/02/2008

This report is based on NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR) data submitted by the institution for the 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07 academic years.

Sport (N) Multiyear APR Percentile Rank
Football 948 60th-70th

Posted by BTown Fan

2:24 PM, May 20, 2008

Former Guest, I wasn't saying I think Bruns, Kearse and Thompson will play big minutes for sure. I was saying based on the lack of proven players at WR and DL, they could get long looks and possibly work their way into the rotation.

You are right, a RS year would be best, but they may not have that luxury.

Posted by Formerly Guest

2:31 PM, May 20, 2008

Btown fan,

My apologies for misinterpreting a bit what you were saying.

I also don't know that I did the best job of acknowledging that you argued your points very well, and that your speculation may certainly be more accurate and dead-on than my own speculation regarding who will play how much next year.

Posted by tom ros

6:31 PM, May 20, 2008

Bob, I think Bankhead did enroll somewhere his first year and it might have been Dixie JC. He abandoned the UW he said because they 'sort of forgot about him' but I think he did not play that first year. Then he, evidently, moved on to the school in Arizona. Regardless of the facts, however, he is really a sad tale becaaue he has talent. He took responsibility for his actions rather than saying 'well, somebody should have helped me' which is a sign of maturity. I just wish he could have done better for himself.

Posted by Dawgfan1

6:46 PM, May 20, 2008

Great stuff, Bob! Thanks for all the hard work.

May 20, 08 - 02:19 PM
ESPN asking for help defining "Face of the Program''

May 20, 08 - 08:43 AM
AD update

May 19, 08 - 03:00 PM
Answers, volume four

May 19, 08 - 09:52 AM
Husky recruits win track titles

May 19, 08 - 08:24 AM