Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 20, 2008 8:43 AM

AD update

I spent much of yesterday trying to find out what's going on with the search for a new athletic director at UW, and this story is the result.

As you can read, the school is attempting to keep things as under wraps as possible, so getting concrete information isn't real easy.

The story includes mention of one new name that I have been told is a candidate --- Steve Lopes, a senior associate AD at USC. He didn't return a phone call yesterday, but here is a story on Lopes from a few years ago when he was a finalist for the AD's job at Long Beach State.

For those of you who have asked whether this is a choice between the people mentioned in the story, however, I don't profess to know that those are the only candidates. In fact, I heard of one other late yesterday but couldn't get enough of a confirmation to include the name. If/when I get that, I'll pass it along.

This has been a really quiet search so I'm certain there are things going on with it --- maybe lots of things --- that haven't leaked out. But what I wrote today is what I've been able to get.

NEUHEISEL HIRES FORMER HUSKY AS FOOTBALL OPS GUY --- A few of you have pointed me to a story I missed Monday, that Rick Neuheisel has hired former UW football player Darren Witcher as his football operations director at UCLA. As the story notes, Witcher has been an assistant the last nine years at Rainier Beach. So definitely sounds like Neuheisel is going to work his connections up here as best he can.

I have also been told that former UW linebacker Scott White is working for Neuheisel at UCLA in some sort internship role.

Posted by Gabe

10:38 AM, May 20, 2008

Wasn't Barbara Hedges the last USC retread we took? Enough said. But perhaps Lopes would become a Trojan horse or sorts and give us some useful insights into the manic mind of Pete Carroll. Nevertheless it's hard to see hiring from USC when UW's main mission over the next few years is that Troy Must Be Destroyed.

Posted by seckend

10:57 AM, May 20, 2008

Where was 2 Tite on this one? You're losing your touch man

Posted by Ih8Babs

11:09 AM, May 20, 2008

No USC assistant AD's EVER AGAIN. That's why we're in this mess in the first place! Please God no!

Posted by B

11:39 AM, May 20, 2008

Not sure about White but he was up here at Green Lake playin ball this weekend. Nutin spectacular

Posted by onewoodwacker

12:10 PM, May 20, 2008

I feel a little misled. I obtained this information from the website below. Was taken back to find out that the UW football team APR ranked between 60th-70th nationally.

I looked it up because Ashlee Palmer couldn't qualify at the Dub but qualified at Ole Miss.

Was really shocked when I found that Ole Miss scored higher than us in Football APR

NCAA Division I 2006 - 2007 Academic Progress Rate Public Report

Institution: University of Washington Date of Report: 05/02/2008

This report is based on NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR) data submitted by the institution for the 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07 academic years.

Sport (N) Multiyear APR Percentile Rank
Football 948 60th-70th

Posted by MelloDawg

12:13 PM, May 20, 2008

I'd prefer this article not to get overlooked, so I'll post it here too:

It relates to the discussion had in previous threads about Willingham and hiring competent minority assistants. Not a bad read.

Posted by onewoodwacker

12:21 PM, May 20, 2008

I misread the stats on that NCAA site We ranked in the 60-70 percentile group. In other words 60-70 percent of the other colleges scored about the same numbers (948 for us).

Mississippi was in the 50-60 percentile range, meaning that 50-60 percent of the schools scored in their range (939).

I feel better now.

Posted by NO USC candidates!!!

12:43 PM, May 20, 2008

Did we not learn anything from the last Trojan Horse???

Hedges (from So. Cal) was the worst AD in all of college athletics history. Let us never, ever hire another AD from USC.

NO NO NO NO NO NO on any candidates from USC!

Posted by Formerly Guest

3:59 PM, May 20, 2008

Mello,

I think Bob posted that link you have there about 3 threads back.

Posted by Allan Hamilton

7:34 PM, May 20, 2008

I agree totally with those bloggers who talked about Hedges. She destroyed Husky Football. Please no more USC idiots.

Posted by MelloDawg

7:36 PM, May 20, 2008

Guest,

My mistake. Credit to you for pointing it out and to Bob for posting it in the first place.

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:08 PM, May 20, 2008

Mello (and others),
In all this debate to make TW look bad over hiring caucasian coordinators...
How many coordinators has he ever hired since he became a HC at Stanford?

Posted by NOOOO to USC AD

4:08 PM, May 21, 2008

please ... never hire an AD from USC again. Hedges (a USC loser) did enough damage. Worst AD ever in the history of the world! Please don't ever hire an AD from So. Cal., our program has already suffered enough!

May 21, 08 - 01:29 PM
Locker baseball debut June 6

May 20, 08 - 09:32 PM
Locker to appear at Bellingham Coaches Tour

May 20, 08 - 02:19 PM
ESPN asking for help defining "Face of the Program''

May 20, 08 - 08:43 AM