Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 14, 2008 3:40 PM

A.D. update

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, those waiting for any official word from the UW on progress toward hiring a new athletic director will be waiting a long time.

As in, until the day one is hired.

Unlike has happened with previous searches at UW, the head of the search committee, Betsy Wilson, said she does not wish to comment publicly until the process is complete. And UW officials say they have no plans to discuss details of the search, such as ruling in or out rumored candidates, something that does sometimes happen at other schools --- WSU in the mid-90s brought the finalists in for public interviews with students, faculty and anyone who wanted to go.

Norm Arkans, a spokesman for the school, is apparently the only one who will make any public comment during the process.

Arkans said work is ongoing and the committee is meeting regularly. UW has also hired a search firm, Parker Executive Search, to help out. You'll notice the UW job remains at the top of the firm's listings for jobs in college athletics.

As for candidates, Bob Stull, now at UTEP and a former UW assistant football coach and assistant AD, remains the favorite of some of Husky old-guard faction. Former UW coach Don James gave Stull his endorsement during an interview on KJR-AM last week.

Dan Radakovich of Georgia Tech is a name that's been making the rounds and he makes some sense due to ties with UW president Mark Emmert. But he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today that he has not been contacted and is not interested in the job.

Other names that have been rumored who apparently are not in the mix are former Oregon AD Bill Moos and Duke associate AD Mike Cragg. Through his lawyer, Moos said this week he has not been contacted by UW or the search firm. Cragg, who is a UW graduate and a native of Yakima, said a few weeks ago that he will not apply, instead focusing on getting the vacant AD's job at Duke.

In this story a few weeks ago, I also listed a couple of other possible candidates, including former UW kicker Chuck Nelson. Since UW is using Parker, it's likely that candidates it has recommended for other jobs could also be recommended for this one should their be interest on both sides.

As for when a hire will be made, Emmert has said previously that he hoped it could happen by the end of the school year. But Arkans said there is no set timeline.

"That's a laudable goal, but that's not a deadline,'' he said. "The most important thing is to find the right person no matter how long it takes.''

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:43 PM, May 14, 2008

What would be the attraction of Chuck Nelson? I just don't get that one.

Posted by husky1225

6:06 PM, May 14, 2008

Bob: If you're still fielding questions, I have 2.
#1: The 2008 Huskies have a total of 214 career rushing yards returning at the tailback position. Is this the lowest total in the last 25 years?
#2: The 2008 Huskies have a total of 11 career receptions returning at the wide receiver position. Is this the lowest total in the last 25 years?

Posted by Roy

8:36 PM, May 14, 2008

Here's an interesting question:

Historically, who is the number 2 program in the Pac-10 (with USC being number 1)?

Cal, UCLA, and Washington are all fairly close in conference championships, bowl wins, national championships, and bowl wins. I think you can make an argument for any of them.

Obviously on this board most will say Washington, but that doesn't mean it's an uninteresting discussion.

Here are some numbers.

California has 2 national championships (1921, 1923), 14 conference championships, 9 bowl wins, and an overall record of 613-466-52.

UCLA has 1 national championship (1954), 18 conference championships, 13 bowl wins, and an overall record of 527-358-37. They have 0 disputed national championships.

Washington has 1 national championship, 15 conference championships, 15 bowl wins, and an overall record of 653-386-50. We have 4 disputed national championships.

When I say disputed I mean at least one organization declared them national champs. All information is from http://www.nationalchamps.net. They don't have last season on there, so I added that in.

Posted by Roy

8:39 PM, May 14, 2008

Cal also has 3 disputed national championships.

Posted by Roy

8:44 PM, May 14, 2008

I doubt anyone wants to be reminded just how dominant USC has been, but here are the numbers if you're curious: 9 national championships, 36 conference championships, 30 bowl wins, overall record of 753-302-54. And 6 disputed national titles.

Posted by mutt

9:06 PM, May 14, 2008

Myself I believe this up and coming season will just be another wash out, just the sign of the times in general.....GO HUSKIES!!!!
I've heard the Pope is thinking of changing the way people enter the catholic church, instead of holy water you get a line of blow, the new verld auta.

Posted by jh

8:07 AM, May 15, 2008

...why doesn't Emmert realize that with willingham coaching into his 4th year...no self-respecting AD candidate will entertain the UW postion...Emmert should stop recruiting until willingham is fired or begin recruiting from his "B" or "C" list.......oh, he already has...

Posted by OlyDawg

8:12 AM, May 15, 2008

Oh jh, you are so wicked. Where do you come up with such gems? Tell us more! Tell us more!

Posted by Swan

8:21 AM, May 15, 2008

"You'll notice the UW job remains at the top of the firm's listings for jobs in college athletics."

After looking a little closer, I noticed that we're the only school under college athletics.

Posted by Husky76

10:07 AM, May 15, 2008

Please take the time thats needed to get the best possible AD. Living in Hawaii, I can tell you the name of one person who should not be interviewed - former University of Hawaii AD Herman Frazier. During his tenure, he was probably the most detached, incompetent AD a university could have.

Posted by jay-h

10:11 AM, May 15, 2008

....love my charlie weiss shrine, it's fits perfectly in my parent's basement......going back to playing world or war craft and eating fried mayonnaise balls.....mellodawg is coming over and bringing his dvd copy of rudy......

Posted by Thursday reality check

10:32 AM, May 15, 2008

Here's a sobering link:

I think it includes a pretty fair evaluation of UW and what could reasonably be expected.

In reading through it, I have to ask, how can anyone objectively say that UW should have a good or even decent year.

* We're coming off a 4-9 record.
* We had the worst defense ever in the history of Husky football. And this year we'll be playing a lot of first year guys. It's hard to imagine the defense being any worse, but will it be substantially better? -- I doubt it.
* Our #1 RB is gone.
* All of our starting receivers are gone.
* Our center (leader, great player, etc.) is hurt.
* Our coach consistently gets out coached after halftime. How many games will we be in at halftime only to get slaughtered in the 2nd half? We've seen this happen over and over and over again. There is no reason to believe this won't be repeated in 2008.
* Our schedule is brutal:

Aug. 30 @ Oregon
Sept. 6 BYU
Sept. 13 Oklahoma
Sept. 27 Stanford
Oct. 4 @ Arizona
Oct. 18 Oregon State
Oct. 25 Notre Dame
Nov. 1 @ USC
Nov. 8 Arizona State
Nov. 15 UCLA
Nov. 22 @ Washington State
Dec. 6 @ California

I look at all of these things, and I can't help but assume 2008 is going to be another disaster. If we go 5-7, it will be a miracle. Bowling? Don't make me laugh.

I have to ask, why are we four years into Ty's "rebuilding project" and yet we're facing this much of a mess?

Posted by Guest

11:11 AM, May 15, 2008

Thursday Reality Check,

Did you read the coaches-on-the-hot-seat link the other day?

They acknowledge all these problems facing us next year, but have a slightly different take. They list TW as #1 on the hot seat and Stoops at UA as #4. They project us as 6-6 and going to a crap bowl, TW staying and us having more success the next year. They project UA going like 3-9 and Stoops looking for work. They actually make a credible case for such an outcome.

I think in 1977, Don James was in his 3rd year, we started 0-3 (although I don't think any of those were conference games) and James thought he was going to get fired. The season didn't end, we won some winnable games, key teams lost on the last day of the season, and then we ended up in the rose bowl...which we won. (I was 4 then, so forgive me if I have distorted a few facts here).

I am not saying it will happen next year. But if we start 0-3, the season isn't over, and we may be able to win more than just 5 of these games.

Posted by Thursday Reality Check

11:30 AM, May 15, 2008

I'm trying to weigh what I'm hoping for versus what I'm expecting.
Frankly, I look at Arizona's returning starters, and I think they could score a ton of points. They might give up a lot of points, but I could see them in a lot of 45 - 42 type games. Will they have a winning or losing record? Don't know. But at least I do see them having a strength. I'm hard pressed to look at UW's 2008 team and make a similar statement. We have some bright spots potentially, but the problems far outweigh the strengths. I see us scoring on some home run type plays, but not having good ball control. I see our defense giving up 25 - 35 points per game again as teams pick us apart as they see fit. Be honest, when was the last time we were good (not even great) but just good on defense? It has been forever since we haven't sucked on defense. '08 looks like more of the same on this side of the ball.
Call me a negative Nancy, but I'm worried that Ty 4.0 could be even worse than Ty 3.0!

Posted by Kosmo

11:45 AM, May 15, 2008

Thank you Reality Check. The situation that Tyrone has this program in is a joke.

Fourth year and we have ZERO proven tailbacks. ZERO proven wide receivers. ZERO proven tight ends. ONE proven defensive lineman and a secondary that has been a DISASTER for three years in a row.

And a coach that doesn't know an X from an O.

Add it all up and we are looking at 4-5 wins tops.

Posted by MelloDawg

11:45 AM, May 15, 2008

I love the comparison people make between Ty Willingham and Don James in their respective 3rd years.

For the record, in 1977 (James's 3rd year), UW went 10-2 and won the Rose Bowl. He went 6-5 his first year, 5-6 in his 2nd year. After 1976, he never finished below or even AT .500 again in his career.

Posted by Thursday Reality Check

12:10 PM, May 15, 2008

Mello --

So are you suggesting that Don James going 10-2 with a Rose Bowl win in his third year is BETTER than Ty Willingham going 4-9 and producing the worst defense ever in the 100+ year history of Husky football in his third year as coach?

How do you figure? You must be using some funny logic here.

Posted by Thursday Reality Check

12:13 PM, May 15, 2008

Maybe a more fair comparison would be the first 3 years combined.

Don = 21 - 13 61.8% winning percentage
Ty = 11 - 25 30.6% winning percentage

Oops. I better apply some of that new math to make this one pencil out.

Face it. 2008 could be a rough ride for the Dawgs.

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:14 PM, May 15, 2008

Mello,

Thanks. Again, I was 4 in 1977, so my memory was sure to be somewhat faulty.

TRC,

I agree with you. I too have difficulty balancing what I hope with wha I expect. I had enough optimism this year to buy tix. I cna see us being 4-8 or 8-4, but most likely somewhere in between.

I do think those guys at coaches-hot-seat do write insightfully (and hilariously). Their arguments for how we "could" end up 6-6 with some success next year are credible speculation.

If we can run with an RB, I think we can have some ball control. I think that will be determined by our line. I am not all that concerned about the lack of "proven" RBs. I don't think it takes that much to step into RB at college. The position is instinctual, not really learned (like CB, QB and WR), in my humble and perhaps errant opinion.

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:16 PM, May 15, 2008

Here is an accurate comparison of DJ and TW in their 3rd years: they were both short.

Mello, you have to give me that one...

Posted by Thursday Reality Check

12:28 PM, May 15, 2008

F G --

I won't lie, I have our two tickets bought and paid for. So, I am most certainly hoping for a good year. But I was full of hope and optimism going into last year only to see us completely fall apart. And that stretch of football where we gave up 150 points in 3 games was just too much to stomach.

At this point, I need to see 3 or 4 consecutive years of good football to actually believe we've got things fixed.

Posted by bomberboy

12:36 PM, May 15, 2008

After serious and careful thought I have removed myself from consideration for the UW AD job.

Posted by Dave

12:43 PM, May 15, 2008

Roy, your own stats answer the question conclusively. UW has the most wins, best winning percentage and most bowl wins of any of the three candidates you list. Case closed.

Posted by SeasonTixIn77

1:50 PM, May 15, 2008

Mello -

If you are going to make the comparison, at least get the numbers right.

The dogs went 1-3 to start 1977, then rallied to finish 7-4 & in the Rose Bowl, beating UM 27-24 to finish overall 8-4....not 10-2.

Honestly, I could see this years team doing something similair. After the Oklahoma game, I don't see anything unwinnable outside USC.

Posted by Formerly Guest

1:53 PM, May 15, 2008

Season Tix in 77,
Thanks for making me look a little better with my recollection of 1977.

Posted by MelloDawg

2:02 PM, May 15, 2008

SeasonTix,

The almighty, all-knowing Wikipedia feels differently:

Posted by OlyDawg

2:06 PM, May 15, 2008

As far as RB being an instinctual position, you are correct, according to my brother who was a college RB (and the top WA RB in high school).

Trying to compare former and current coaches by year is silly, especially in the case of Washington. Washington wasn't coming off an absolutely terrible season when James took over (and thats not even counting the whole Neuheisal debacle), nor did he have to deal with a solid Pac-10, where Oregon, OSU, and ASU were all powers to be reckoned with.

Time will tell whether Ty is a good coach and recruiter. This season is the make or break season for him. I think all of us are looking for something definitive (my hope, as always, is at least a 7-5 season), but somewhere just slightly less than that is more likely with our relative youth. At which point, it'll be even more debate amongst the fan base as the season nears a close.

Posted by swededawg

2:25 PM, May 15, 2008

Mello,

I'm not defending the Ty/DJ comparison, but that wikipedia entry is flat out wrong. SeasonTix has it right. They started 0-3, finished 7-4 in 1977, and went on to win the '78 RB that year to finish 8-4.

Posted by Formerly Guest

2:26 PM, May 15, 2008

Mello,

That link may not be right. Here is one that suggest we did really start out 1-3 that year:

"The Don James Era (1975-1993)
When Washington began their 1977 season with a 1-3 record, Husky fans were venting over their floundering football team. Third-year Coach Don James had a 12-14 record amid rumors that players felt disconnected from him. On October 8, in the visitor’s locker room of Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon, something happened to bring the team together. UW booster Dave Torrell was standing behind a roped-off area as the Huskies ran out of the tunnel. “I hadn’t seen us look that intense in forever,” he said. “I told [a fellow booster] that this game had the makings of a slaughter” (Husky Football in the Don James Era, p. 23).

Washington demolished Oregon 54-0 that day, and ushered in a new era. The Huskies won the rest of their games and stunned heavily favored Michigan in the 1978 Rose Bowl. UW linebacker Michael Jackson made a play for the ages near the goal line, taking the ball away from a Michigan running back for a game-saving interception. Warren Moon, who overcame struggles as Washington’s first black quarterback, was named the game’s MVP."

Found at- http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=8521

Posted by swededawg

2:33 PM, May 15, 2008

Yes, I stand corrected, they started 1-3. Funny, I went the UW site and it says they finished 10-2 as well, but when you go and actually look at the scores, indeed, they were 7-4.

Perhaps Heir Turner was trying to pump up past performance. Anything I can pile on him, I'll take it.

Posted by Formerly Guest

2:40 PM, May 15, 2008

Mello,

Yes, I think that Wikipedia thing was wrong.

Here is another link: http://www.rosebowlhistory.org/rose-bowl-1978.php

"Yes, this is the era of West success in the Rose Bowl as another new name comes forth to direct the dominance over the Big Ten. Don James of Washington joins USC's John Robinson, UCLA's Terry Donahue, USC's Ted Tollner, Arizona State's John Cooper and USC's Larry Smith in proving the Big Ten invasion of Pasadena now is a perilous one. James' Washington Huskies (only a 7-4 season record) drub Bo Schembechler's 10-1 Michigan 27-20 with the passing arm and running of Warren Moon and the receiving of Bob Gaines plus the toe of Steve Robbins who has two field goals and three conversions. This is a game of long yardage catches with a Moon to Gaines 64 yarder and a Rick Leach to Curt Stephenson 76 yarder for Michigan. Interceptions by Michael Jackson and Nesby Glasgow shut off Michigan's late attempts to rally."

2:46 PM, May 15, 2008

The Huskies indeed began that season 1-3 and finished 8-4 and in the Rose Bowl. I wrote about that last season as part of my preview of the Syracuse game http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2003861591_uwfb31.html

UW's official record for that season is 10-2 as losses to UCLA and Mississippi State were later turned into forfeits when those schools were ruled to have used ineligible players. So officially, UW went a perfect 7-0 in conference play that season. James also received a belated boost in his 1979 record, which is officially 10-2 but was 9-3 on the field as a loss to Arizona State was later turned into a win due to a forfeit for using an ineligible player.

Posted by MelloDawg

6:25 PM, May 15, 2008

I think we can all take partial credit for sleuthing out James's record that year.

Thanks Bob!

Posted by caineman

6:44 PM, May 15, 2008

I hope the UW hits it out of the park with the AD job.
We need a real football person this time...

Posted by Ducks 45 Dawgs 13

8:54 PM, May 15, 2008

Hey Bob...what was our "official" record in '91 after we cheated to win a NC?

Posted by Dave

9:23 AM, May 16, 2008

@8:54 -- nobody knows, the records were destroyed along with all the Ducks' forged LOI's and illegal ticket sales receipts.

Posted by ducks blow and suck

10:24 AM, May 16, 2008

I'd waste the time ripping the whoregon ducks, but they haven't ever accomplished anything... so why bother? Go away annoying little brat to the south.

May 16, 08 - 09:16 AM
Willingham speaks at Football Forum

May 16, 08 - 08:33 AM
Interesting interview of former Times columnist

May 15, 08 - 05:07 PM
Nelson hopes to be candidate

May 15, 08 - 09:43 AM
Baseball interlude two, more

May 14, 08 - 03:40 PM
A.D. update

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...