Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 2, 2008 4:27 PM

Cragg won't pursue AD job, Moos yet to be contacted

The known candidate pool for the vacant UW athletic director's job shrunk a bit today as Mike Cragg, a 1986 graduate of Washington who is an associate athletic director at Duke, said he will not pursue the position.

Cragg said he is instead focusing his energies on attempting to become the new AD at Duke, where he has worked since 1987. Duke AD Joe Alleva recently left to take the same position at LSU.

Cragg, a native of Yakima, applied for the UW job in 2004 and had said in December he would like to be considered this time.

But now, with his interest in the Duke opening, he said ''the timing is just not right'' to be a candidate at UW.

Also, Raymond Cihak, an attorney for former Oregon athletic director Bill Moos, said today that Moos has not been contacted by either UW or the search firm helping the Huskies in the process. Cihak said Moos said it would be inappropriate to comment further since he hasn't been contacted. Through Cihak, Moos said in December that the UW job "would be a great opportunity for whomever they hire.''

Moos has been speculated as a possible candidate but also has a non-compete clause in his contract with Oregon that could complicate coming to UW. Specifically, he will be paid $1.85 million over 10 years as long as he does not take a job as an AD ''or a comparable position at a Bowl Championship Series Conference school west of the Mississippi River.''

The fact that Moos hasn't been contacted yet may not mean it's certain that he isn't a candidate. But there are strong indications that Parker Executive Search, hired by UW to aid in the search, has begun contacting potential candidates, a process thought to have picked up steam this week after it became known that acting AD Scott Woodward would not be a candidate to take over permanently.

Woodward had been thought to be a leading candidate but said Thursday he wouldn't pursue the job with UW president Mark Emmert feeling he can best serve the school in his current position as the vice president of external affairs.

Posted by hottadog

5:50 PM, May 02, 2008

Who want Moos anyway? He's tainted with green and pee-yellow.

What's up with Bob Stull? Bring back a great Husky!

Posted by hottadog

5:51 PM, May 02, 2008

Oh, and.....

FIRST!!!

Posted by pdxdawg

11:22 PM, May 02, 2008

I've gotta agree with hottadog. I'd like to see us stay away from everyone and everything that has at some point been involved with anything Oregon Ducks.

Posted by Beebop

2:35 AM, May 03, 2008

Moos should be our first and last option. We could stick it to oregon while getting a guy that thinks outside the box.

I would still like us to get a minority at this position, but besides that, Moos would be my next choice.

Posted by pdxdawg

4:45 AM, May 03, 2008

Explain to me why we should try to fill that position with a minority? Shouldn't we try to find the best possible candidate for the job, whether they're black, white, Chinese, whatever? I just want to see us start winning some games and turn UW back into one of the nation's elite athletice programs. And for the record, if anyone would've said "I'd still really like to see us get someone white at this position", they would've been accused of racism all over the board here, probably starting and ending with people like Beebop.

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:52 AM, May 03, 2008

Bob or anyone else have a (real - not speculative) answer as to why Ty hasn't given an offer to Eric Smiley the 4 Star 6-5/280 DT from Central HS - West Helena, AR? He's from Seattle and is stating that he wants to return to play for the Huskies. Yet no offer!

Posted by godawgs

8:10 AM, May 03, 2008

Mellohole....did you go to either the BSU or OSU game last year? Where did you sit? Do you have season tickets? Do you pay for them? Where are they? You make so many ridiculous, baseless statements, how could anyone ever take you seriously?

jh, you said you were gone till the season started...twice. Is anything you do honest?

Everyone should be thanking Woodward for making the statement. It is the mantra from Emmert on down and it's why Turner is gone and it's why Ty has one year left to get it right.

Buck up crybabies...

Go Dawgs

Posted by jh

9:08 AM, May 03, 2008

I agree with hotdog...anyone that would want to be associated with a program that is permeated with mediocrity...has to be suspect...

Posted by MelloDawg

11:24 AM, May 03, 2008

godawgs,

Went to every game last year, my tickets were right next to the tunne, I stood above it before every game to watch the team gather before running through the band tunnel and of course I paid for the tickets.

Even though who purchase tickets end up scalping theirs before the game to visiting fans. It'll be the same this year for Oklahoma and ND.

Posted by im mikey

12:27 PM, May 03, 2008

"Answer me this though: are season ticket sales down? Are ticket sales down in general? I will save you the trouble of researching and answer that yes, they are." -Mellodawg

Mello my man, come on, you are disappointing me. I thought that though you were negative, you knew your facts... Anyone who reads this blog routinely can answer that question, and you, apparently, are not one of those people. So now I guess I am just going to have to distrust all of your claims.

April 29, 2008
"As for tickets sold at this point of the year, UW is about 1,000 season tickets ahead of that pace."

Your response?

Posted by jh

12:37 PM, May 03, 2008

...I'll respond...obviously a lack of other Seattle / Washington forms of entertainment...

Posted by John

12:45 PM, May 03, 2008

Uh oh. Facts getting in the way of your whining Mellodawg?

Posted by Beebop

12:48 PM, May 03, 2008

Because I like minorities. How about you?

Posted by MelloDawg

1:10 PM, May 03, 2008

im mikey,

Saying that ticket sales are up this year as opposed to last year really isn't saying much. Don't misconstrue my points. I understand that there are fans who are slowly coming back to Husky football, largely because of Jake Locker of course. However, my point was that there are still LOTS of empty seats at Husky Stadium and season ticket sales are down this year as opposed to 10 years ago.

That being the case, there are even MORE empty seats for visiting fans to occupy.

--------------------

John,

I love facts. I use them all the time when discussing Tyrone Willingham. As a Ty supporter, you should try to break away from your ilk and try to use them yourself sometime.

Posted by John

1:18 PM, May 03, 2008

You're backpedaling. You stated that ticket sales are down, someone pointed out that you were wrong, and then you make an entirely different statement while claiming that's what you were saying all along.

Trying to paint me as an unconditional follower of Ty is contrary to the facts as well. As I've stated previously, if Ty doesn't win 7 (regular season) games I believe he should be fired. Beyond that, I believe his 5th year here needs to be something special.

Posted by MelloDawg

7:11 PM, May 03, 2008

John,

Here's part of my original post in this thread:

"I wouldn't make such a bold statement if I didn't actually see the Boise St and Ohio St fans have an inexcusable amount of themselves in the stands. Answer me this though: are season ticket sales down? Are ticket sales down in general? I will save you the trouble of researching and answer that yes, they are."

Does that clear things up? I noted that there have been an inordinate amount of visiting fans in the stands. Do you go to games? Would you consider 15K Ohio St fans a typical amount of away fans at a game in Husky Stadium? I sure wouldn't.

Have we magically increased the capacity of HS to 85K? Last I checked, we hadn't. That being the case, the only answer is that less Husky fans are coming to the games (or are selling their tickets because they know what they're getting when they COME to games) and, hence, more visiting fans take their place.

Posted by Ducks 45 Dawgs 13

10:37 PM, May 03, 2008

Moos would be the best option you clowns could think of getting. Knight screwed him at UO and sent him packing so I'm sure he's pissed and ready to rock. Think of UO compared to UW before and after Moos. He's the best option you have. Either way, next year will be Ducks 45 Dawgs 13.

Posted by Huskythor

10:46 PM, May 03, 2008

Heres a early treat for all of you dawg fans
Enjoy........Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

Posted by jh

6:43 AM, May 04, 2008

...mello kissing apologist ass...how's it taste, dawg?...

May 13, 08 - 10:25 PM