Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 21, 2008 3:24 PM

Ranking the schedules

A post a few weeks ago elicited a spirited discussion about non-conference scheduling.

So I thought I'd list the non-conference schedules for all the Pac-10 teams this fall and rank them in order of toughness.

1, USC
at Virginia
Ohio State
Notre Dame

Comment --- Trojans always play a tough schedule and this one is no different. Virginia not expected to be as good as last year but that's still a tough trip, and the others need no explaining.

2, WASHINGTON
BYU
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

Comment --- I put USC ahead of UW mostly because Trojans have to go on the road for one game while UW gets to stay home for all three. Second straight year UW will have one of its best home schedules ever. In the rankings for both USC and UW here I'm assuming Notre Dame makes somewhat of a return to its old self.

3, CAL
at Michigan State
at Maryland
Colorado State

Comment --- Only Pac-10 team playing two road games at BCS schools.

4, OREGON STATE
at Penn State
Hawaii
at Utah

Comment --- Hawaii will be a shell of the team it was last season. Trip to Penn State continues OSU's attempts to upgrade its schedule. Two road trips makes it a little tougher than UCLA's.

5, UCLA
Fresno State
Tennessee
at BYU

Comment --- Nothing easy there but at least two are at home.

6, STANFORD
at TCU
San Jose State
at Notre Dame

Comment --- Harder than it looks remembering that TCU won at Stanford last year and San Jose State is a rival game that's always intense.

7, OREGON
Utah State
at Purdue
Boise State

Comment --- A good chance for a 3-0 non-conference season there.

8, WASHINGTON STATE
Oklahoma State (in Seattle)
at Baylor
Portland State
at Hawaii

Comment --- OSU a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team and Baylor will be picked last. Any game at Hawaii is dicey but without Brennan, those receivers and a new coach, Warriors won't be what they were.

9, ARIZONA STATE
Northern Arizona
UNLV
Georgia

Comment --- Georgia a marquee early-season non-conference game but other two are easy wins.

10, ARIZONA
Idaho
Toledo
at New Mexico

Comment --- New Mexico won in Tucson last year so that's no gimme, but the other two should be.

Posted by kdawg

7:56 PM, Mar 21, 2008

My two cents on the tough schedule discussion is that it can be only a tremendous motivator for the Dawgs to put their best efforts into spring and fall training and everyday in between because there is absolutely no let up in the schedule. In no way am I implying that anyone should be a slacker due to an easy match-up, but come on, that's how upsets happen and they occur in huge numbers every season. So Dawgs, learn from the past but don't look back because there is not one moment for it!

Posted by schedule

9:17 PM, Mar 21, 2008

Yeah but USC gets to play Washington, while Washington has to play USC, therefore Washington has the toughest schedule.

Posted by Husky

9:28 PM, Mar 21, 2008

Bob - I saw this on ESPN.com.....how come the Seattle Times isn't all over this story? If Tyrone Willingham did this, it would be front page news.

New Washington State coach Paul Wulff has been fretting about his Cougars' lack of depth, but he's found a partial solution even before the start of spring practices on March 17: Reinstate suspended players!

Five Cougars, previously suspended for academic woes or off-field problems, will participate in spring practices, and each is a potential starter next fall. The list includes Andy Roof, who has switched from offensive guard to defensive tackle (sat out 2007 because of multiple alcohol violations), outside linebacker Jason Stripling (academics), receiver Michael Willis (academics), defensive tackle Fevaea'i Ahmu (alcohol violation) and free safety Xavier Hicks (assault arrest).

Hicks gained a degree of infamy when the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported he was arrested in January for second-degree assault for allegedly putting rubbing alcohol in teammate and roommate Grady Maxwell's contact lens case.

UNQUOTE

Posted by Tarn

9:34 PM, Mar 21, 2008

Mellodawg (bandguy),
There is something seriously wrong with you. I can't put my thumb on it but I will consult a professional. I would hate to sit next to you during the home games except for halftime. Then you would hate to sit next to me.

Posted by Gant

3:09 AM, Mar 22, 2008

Mello is a racist. Everyone knows it on this blog. He has mad so many statements that even he can't defend himself.

He has actually stated that Ty was rehired because he is black! If that isn't racist, I don't know what is. He's not a Husky though. Just a stupid duck fan trying to kill the feel good vibe of this off-season.

Posted by bobcondotasnewhaircut

3:32 AM, Mar 22, 2008

So sorry dawg fans. Just like last year, this year's schedule is just too darn difficult. Shucks. Guess we'll have to wait for next year, and maybe we'll get lucky and have an easy schedule. Then we will be winning just like the great dawgs of the past.

Posted by DenverDawg

8:35 AM, Mar 22, 2008

Man I wish UW would have bought out one of the non-conference games. Weíre just not at the level yet to take on a schedule like that. However, itís spring and Iíve got my purple and gold glasses on, so Iím not going to dwell on negatives. Besides, every year one or two teams make The Leap seemingly from nowhere, so why not us this year?

As a side note, Iíve got tickets to the hoops regionals here today and WSU-ND is the first game; who do I pull for?

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

8:52 AM, Mar 22, 2008

Bob, what do you see Notre Dame's record being next year? I imagine the offense will be better though their defense was gutted. Laws will make a nice 3-4 DE in the NFL.

Posted by Boomer

9:52 AM, Mar 22, 2008

Bob, we play 3 predicted BCS bowl teams. Our schedule is the toughest in the nation, not just the Pac-10.

Posted by BoiseTruth

10:21 AM, Mar 22, 2008

DenverDawg, I can't tell you who to root for, but I'll be rooting for WSU. I think they're the last NW team so I'll be pulling for them. I've really admired what they've done with their B-ball program.

I don't know Bob, I'd almost rather go on the road and play Virginia rather than the chance we get a hot BYU at home. To me, it's close to a draw.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

10:26 AM, Mar 22, 2008

Posted by UWber

11:07 AM, Mar 22, 2008

Bob, just can't bring himself to give UW credit. The question is if right now BYU (#15 preseason) were playing a road game at UVA (not ranked) who would be favored. The answer is BYU - thus the 'on the road' argument is a thin one at best.

Posted by Steve C.

11:35 AM, Mar 22, 2008

"Also, who do people anticipate being the leader(s) on defense? Butler and/or Savannah, trenton tui if Butler isn't healthy? A senior DB?"

There are vocal leaders and silent leaders (by example). Mason Foster could end up being the former. Te'o-Nesheim, Savannah, Wells, Butler, and Forrester could also end up as leaders, whether vocal or not. I'm looking for Savannah, Wells, and Butler to make big comebacks this season, after injury-plagued seasons in 2007.

Posted by go away Gant

1:51 PM, Mar 22, 2008

Gant --
About once a week (or more), I see you come on here and accuse someone of being a racist. I think maybe you should look in the mirror if you're interested in seeing a true racist. I don't see others on here posting comments that have anything to do with race. It's fine to disagree with folks. But it's totally not cool to call anyone who doesn't agree with your views a racist. So please take your racist hate filled remarks somewhere they are welcome -- like Obama's church!

Posted by MelloDawg

4:27 PM, Mar 22, 2008

Don't pay any attention to Gant really. At least I support my arguments with facts and numbers (even if they CAN be disputed). Gant enjoys warping my statements, but that's ok, no one believes him anyway.

Must be unfortunate to be losing the argument to such a horrible, evil person like me, right Gant?

Posted by Joe

10:35 PM, Mar 22, 2008

Bob, how many and which of these teams are Division 1-AA (or something something subdivision new name that I'll never remember) and how do the OOC schedules of the Pac-10 compare to other BCS Conferences? Thank you.

Posted by St. Fun

10:48 PM, Mar 22, 2008

MellogDork,

STFU.

Posted by St. Fun

10:53 PM, Mar 22, 2008

Oh man. I can't even type straight!

Mellog, Kellog, Mello Shello,... whatever... just stfu.

And Bob, by Notre Dame returning to it's usual self,do you mean the most overrated and annoying program in all of big-money sports?

At least the Yankees have backed it up in recent times.

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

8:13 AM, Mar 23, 2008

I think our opening loss at Oregon, will be at least as tough as Notre Dame at home.

Posted by JimMorarulz!

6:57 PM, Mar 23, 2008

No offense Bob, but I'd take an away game vs Virginia over a home game vs BYU next season in a heartbeat. Homefield alone doesn't give the cavs the advantage, and BYU is bringing back too nasty of an offense to write them off as midmajor trash. Luckily most of the major pundits are aware of this and aren't putting USC over UW in SOS. Jim Mora jr would have the dawgs at 3-0 vs these guys.

Posted by djmdawg

7:01 PM, Mar 23, 2008

Bob,

Seems as though nobody wants to discuss the actual blog entry, but I will.

Not to nitpick, but Arizona State might have the toughest single non-conference game of anyone (home against Georgia). Not that Hawaii was great last year, but Georgia destroyed them in the bowl game. Georgia almost made it to the BCS title game via the back door last year. Georgia has their QB and RB back, their D is fast and tough and I would be surprised if they arenít a pre-season top 5. That single game alone should warrant a higher than 9th toughest for ASU.

Go Dawgs!

8:16 PM, Mar 23, 2008

No offense taken at all. I posted it to try to inspire a little off-season discussion. Both of you guys raise good points. That ASU-Georgia game should be a really good one. I just felt ASU's other two games were such gimmes and they are all at home that it makes it a little easier than some of the others. As for UW and USC, fair to say BYU will be better than Virginia. Better than playing Virginia on the road? Maybe. We'll see.

Posted by brockmandawg

6:55 AM, Mar 24, 2008

Bob, looking at these schedules and then adding up the fact that all of the pac 10 plays each other, our conference as a whole has a very impressive slate when compared to any other conference!

Unfortunately Arizona did the right thing by getting 3 crap teams scheduled. Too bad UW could not work that out just for this coming season. At least we finally have some depth though! Utah in the mountains and Penn State at Beaver stadium will be tough though.

I'm thinking that I would rank UCLA above Oregon State, but both schedules are pretty comparable. I say that mainly because Hawaii will be a shell of its former self (which, as Georgia showed, wasn't all that much after all).

I think Cal's schedule is probably the least desirable. They play 3 potentially quality teams, but if they win they probably won't get much credit (ie as opposed to last year when they beat up the Vols). And if they lose, well, that will hurt 'em.

Posted by Mike McGuire

5:07 PM, Jun 11, 2008

Some great games early this year, better than last year, but the best game is probably still going to be the Ohio State vs. Michigan with RR visiting Columbus for the first time battlaing Jim Tressel. It might decide one side of the BCS Championship Game again like two years ago.

Jun 11, 08 - 04:27 PM
Wednesday notes and links

Jun 11, 08 - 09:11 AM
FSN releases national schedule

Jun 10, 08 - 03:01 PM
Steele says UW's schedule toughest in the nation

Jun 10, 08 - 10:58 AM
Another possible AD candidate UPDATED

Jun 10, 08 - 09:56 AM
Tuesday link-o-rama

Auto review: A look at smaller, lighter, more-affordable BMWs new
Here's a tire-kicking experiment: Pay a visit to your BMW dealer. Weave through the sleek wares on display — but tiptoe around that strange blob...