Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

December 12, 2007 3:37 PM

Schedule changes announced, more

The schedule changes we wrote about here the other day have become official.

Here is the list of changes for UW and all other Pac-10 teams as announced by the conference today:

Washington:

Oregon at Arizona State - move from Sat., Oct. 18 to Sat., Oct. 25
Oregon at USC - move from Sat., Nov. 22 to Sat., Oct. 4

Oregon State:
Add game at Penn State on Sat., Sep. 6
Oregon State at Utah - move from Sat., Sep. 6 to Thu., Oct. 2
USC at Oregon State - move from Sat., Sep. 27 to Thu., Sep. 25
Oregon State at Stanford - move from Sat. Oct., 25 to either Thu., Aug. 28 or Sat., Aug. 30

Stanford:
Oregon State at Stanford - move from Sat., Oct. 25 to either Thu., Aug. 28 or Sat., Aug. 30

USC
USC at Oregon State - move from Sat., Sep. 27 to Thu., Sep. 25
Oregon at USC - move from Sat., Nov. 22 to Sat., Oct. 4

ON ED ORGERON: A lot of you have asked about former Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron, wondering if he could land at Washington should the Huskies have some defensive coaching openings soon.

Bruce Feldman of ESPN, who knows Orgeron well through the writing of his book Meat Market, which detailed Mississippi's recruiting last season, talks about Orgeron's future in his blog today and writes that he could be next in line to be the DC at South Carolina working for Steve Spurrier, an idea also floated in this story with some comments from Orgeron.

Feldman writes that Orgeron is going to "sit and see what actually is his best option, whether that's move to the NFL or staying in the college game. I know he'll be tempted by the NFL and the change of pace where it's 'just ball' but I suspect passing up a good college offer would be very hard for him.'' Feldman says Orgeron's name has surfaced at "a bunch'' of different schools.

Posted by John

3:59 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Former UCLA running backs coach Dino Babers is supposed to be interested in the opening at the same spot for UW. He would be great for recruiting in California, plus he has coached some very very good RBs. You guys remember us getting dominated every year by various UCLA RBs, right? Yeah.

Posted by Andy

4:06 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Bob:

Would you please comment to the likelihood of Ty relieving Baer of his duties? From where I'm sitting, it doesn't seem very possible, given Turner's departure. The conversations about a new DC continues, and I'm hoping someone might have some insight.

Thanks!

Posted by camano

4:19 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Not that I think he would come here anyhow - but I don't think we need an Orgeron at UW. I seem to recall his name surfacing around a number of issues over the years. I realize it is going to be hard to attract a good DC coach to a program where they are only guaranteed a year - but I sure hope Ty is out there shaking the trees.

Posted by Kent

4:20 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Please tell me the Cal game isn't after apple cup? What the hell is TW doing to the Apple cup. What a disgrace. I guess when you can't keep up UW tradition by winning, make an impact by destroying tradition? Hey TW, playing in Decemember is only good when you're in a bowl game. Just moving games into December doesn't mean "good things are happening". What a joke. Fire TW!

Posted by Kent

4:21 PM, Dec 12, 2007

We don't need Orgeron, we have Teddy Baer, not to mention TW's brilliant game management. Too bad Turner isn't around to support failure anymore.

Posted by camano

4:27 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Kent - boy you lead a miserable existence. A zeros fan that spends his days on a Husky board.

Posted by Husky19

4:29 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Kent,

I'm pretty sure that Ty didn't change the schedule but Turner did. Ty may have had input but the ultimate decision is/was Turner's.

Posted by camano

4:33 PM, Dec 12, 2007

And if Ty cannot find a good DC candidate outside the program I'd rather see us go into next year with Tormey making the calls.

Posted by Kent

4:41 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Camano - do i have too much freetime this week - yes. I'm ok with that. But why am I a zero's fan?

Posted by ape

4:43 PM, Dec 12, 2007

This doesn't have anything thing to do with the new UW schedule, but Tunner! Been thinking he keeps referring to his southern roots, sure would like to know his ancestry, like were thy slave oweners? If so, maybe that's why he was going to the wall with willingham, family guite.
I'll spend all of UW money on willingham, to ease my gulit! There's alot of black people with the name tunner, took their slave owers name?

Posted by Tarn

4:45 PM, Dec 12, 2007

I hope having those byes don't come back and haunt the Huskies as far as continuity...sometimes it is hard to play mistake free after a bye...I bet they have a tough time getting going in the first half and win games late as opposed to this year. I'm sure impressed with the low number of injuries this season...is it the milk or different training procedures?

Posted by Tk

4:47 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Polk has commited

Posted by rb

4:50 PM, Dec 12, 2007

It would be nice if somehow posts like Ape's could be immediately deleted.

Posted by Bow Down!

4:58 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Chris Polk (stud RB) just decommitted from USC and chose the DAWGS!! According to realdawg.com!

NICE GET COACH WILLINGHAM!!!

GO DAWGS!!

Posted by WOW

4:59 PM, Dec 12, 2007

USC RB recruit Polk decommits and commits to Washington WOW! Bob any insight on this, this is HUGE

Posted by camano

5:02 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Yeah! Welcome aboard Chris! That is big news!

Kent - think about it.

Posted by Kent

5:05 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Sorry Camano, I forgot, fans who don't support last place are zeros. I love what Husky Nation has become. As for Polk, that's great news. Congrats TW. He has put together a nice class. RB, good work keeping the crusade alive. Although I do agree with you on this one, still good to see you living up to your name.

Posted by Hounder

5:06 PM, Dec 12, 2007

I'm SO GLAD these recruits can see what so many of the posters on this blog cannot. Again a recruit and his parents specifically identify Willingham as the reason they are coming to the UW. Way to go Polk!!! Glad you are a Dawg!!!

And you complainers can't have it both ways. You don't get to blame Ty for every wrong and then deny him credit everytime something good happens. These kids can see it, and they will be the ones out there proving it. If you can't give them your backing YOU ain't a real dawg.

Posted by TacHusky

5:07 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Some of these commits better graduate high school early.

Posted by Bow Down!

5:10 PM, Dec 12, 2007

TacHusky,

According to realdawg.com, he will be graduating high school early and enrolling at the UW in January!

Posted by Fog of War

5:10 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Hounder - I am an anti TW guy, but do give him credit for getting a really good class this year. I only would point out, recruiting is just 1 aspect of coaching. TW has failed to prove he can do anything other then recruit, consistently. But I hope he proves me wrong and will be cheering us on loudly next year.

Posted by Dr. Sanctions

5:19 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Bob,

Any news on the Reggie Bush scandal?

Why is this not more public?

Why is USC getting a free hall pass on this?

Dr. Sanctions

Posted by pdxdawg

5:20 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Sweet pick up with Polk. Sounds like this kid's going to be a stud. And good decision to come "play" in Montlake, as opposed to riding the pine in SoCal. Also, is it even possible to overestimate how HUGE that first game in Eugene next season will be for Ty? I hate to use the term "make or break", but that could turn the heat up or down on his seat, depending on the outcome. Regardless, I have to give TW (and his staff) kudos for what's becoming a continuous stream of quality recruits. GO DAWGS!

Posted by jh

5:21 PM, Dec 12, 2007

...in light of his past 10-years...calling Willingham a good recruiter is like calling Turner a good administrator...

Posted by MPM

5:27 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Ah, jh...

We can always count on you to plug your ears and shout LA!LA!LA!LA! when some good news comes along.

Posted by Kent

5:35 PM, Dec 12, 2007

I wonder if Polk will help TW's game management skills? Or Kent Baer's Defensive schemes. I doubt it. But good pickup nontheless. Our next HC will enjoy having a few extra Bullets in the gun.

Posted by Husky 2002

5:39 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Awesome pick up! This kid was ridiculous in the highlight tapes of Ronnie Fouch. We need to make this kid a receiver again! He will be a starter for us next year! Bow Down to Washington!

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by sg

5:44 PM, Dec 12, 2007

More great recruiting news! I think we're getting some solid linemen and RBs, some of which may be turned into DBs. But what about LBs? Aren't we a little short there in this recruiting class or does the current roster have enough depth there?

Just hoping this doesn't turn out to be another class of 7 WRs (RBs in this case).

Posted by jh

5:46 PM, Dec 12, 2007

"...I earlier made a statement that I have made before (e.g., Willingham was hired at ND and UW because he is black and "clean")... Can anybody give me two other reasons why he was hired?"
Posted by jh at 05:00 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Well?

Posted by CoolBlueNorth

5:47 PM, Dec 12, 2007

....as I posted earlier- instead using your time husky-bashing, ND fans like jh would be better advised to focus their angst on how far, how fast their formerly esteemed program has fallen under Weis. Go join the Notre LAME blog....

Kudos to coach Tormey and whichever assistant reeled in Polk-

Posted by Husky 2002

5:50 PM, Dec 12, 2007

I think Polk will be a WR, where he played in HS before this year (with Ronnie Fouch). That gives us Kearse, Bruns, Polk and Polk. At RB we have Bronson, Dailey, Tate (likely converted to Safety), and Freeman (may likely become a DB). I see Walker as a likely convert to LB from Safety, and Mackay was recruited as an LB. Plus we've got Bradly Rousell still interested and visiting in January (an LB). We'll be fine. We really WANT Thompson to commit now! BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON!

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by Robert

5:56 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Is it just me or by some chance tw seems to be recruiting better now that his job is on the line. To little to late for tw and staff.

Posted by Mike

5:58 PM, Dec 12, 2007

"Willingham is 11-25 in three years -- the first Huskies football coach to have three straight losing seasons --"

Very impressive, Ty. Don't you see other successful schools that have role models + football players?

Better not make it 4 in a row

Posted by Apl

8:29 PM, Dec 12, 2007

Well RB, just what makes you think I wrong,is it just the slave thing,many blacks have the turner name! You say delete, I maybe right, you never know what motivates peoples decisions and behavior....turner is a good old southern boy, from a southern family.Some time the truth hurts, IF it could be true??

Posted by sequimdawgbob

7:40 AM, Dec 13, 2007

Husky 2002, I agree with what you say, and don't forget Forgeson. He could play safety, receiver, or RB right now.

Posted by Posidawg

Nov. 15 UCLA W
Nov. 22 at Washington State W
Nov. 29 BYE
Dec. 6 at California L

Posted by Norm

2:48 PM, Dec 13, 2007

5-7 if Locker stays healthy...

One game in December and then it's time for Ty to pack the bags, take his $1+ million and run!

May 13, 08 - 10:25 PM
Answers, volume three

May 13, 08 - 05:31 PM
Reece signs with Raiders

May 13, 08 - 10:21 AM
Answers, volume two

May 12, 08 - 04:20 PM
Answers, volume one

May 12, 08 - 03:57 PM
Moos: Still no contact

4 automakers invest in plants; Honda upgrades Fit bumpernew
Toyota plans to expand production of its Highlander SUV. (Toyota) 4 automakers reveal big plant changes A variety of automakers announced major moves ...