Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

September 27, 2007 6:00 PM

Pac-10 picks

Now 27-5 for the year, missing last week only on UW.

More on the Huskies later.

UCLA AT OREGON STATE: The two most enigmatic teams in the conference, seemingly capable of beating anyone (they are the last two teams to beat USC, for instance) and getting blown out by anyone. OSU's QBs have thrown an amazing 13 interceptions, but the Beavers won't have any choice but to keep chucking it against a UCLA secondary that ranks last in the conference. I figure that battle determines the game right there --- if OSU loses the ball two times or fewer, it should win the game thanks to the homefield advantage and a defense that remains stout against the run (the Beavers have allowed just 118 yards rushing all season --- UW allowed more than that on just two plays last week). Oregon State 31, UCLA 24.

ARIZONA STATE AT STANFORD: The Sun Devils finally have to go on the road, and as Oregon found out last week, visiting Stanford isn't quite the lazy day on The Farm it was last year. Still, ASU should survive thanks in part to a defense that is so far better than advertised --- the Sun Devils lead the conference in allowing just 289 yards per game (admittedly, the soft sked has helped, but still a quality number). One concern is ASU's run game, which figured to be better --- ASU's 4.0 yards per attempt is the second-lowest in the league, ahead of only Arizona. ASU 35, Stanford 17.

CAL AT OREGON: The game of the week in the conference, if not the nation. These two are combining for 90 points a game, so a lot of offense should be in store. Many of their stats are eerily similar --- each has rushed for a Pac-10 high 13 TDs and is averaging 6.2 yards per carry, for instance. Each also is tied for the lead in the conference in turnovers at plus-seven. With so much equal, I simply think that will be the difference --- which team screws up the most. With Oregon at home --- and with QB Dennis Dixon playing near flawless football --- I'll give the edge to the Ducks. Oregon 35, Cal 31.

WASHINGTON STATE AT ARIZONA: This looms as an early elimination game for a post-season bowl for each team, with each already 0-1 in Pac-10 play and not able to afford a loss in a game it can win. In fact, some at both schools are saying this is the pivotal game of the year for each with potentially huge long-term ramifications for each coach. WSU has the better offense, though Arizona seems to be finding its stride with its new-look passing game. But the Wildcats have the better defense and special teams, so we'll give a slight edge to the home team. Arizona 24, WSU 21.

Posted by NC HUSKY

7:00 PM, Sep 27, 2007

So

What does everyone think aboout Boise State beating down a ranked So. Miss with Ian Johnson having three touchdowns in the beginning of the third quarter? It really gives me the what ifs!
Current score BSU 35 So. Miss 16

Posted by Al T

7:35 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Hate to burst your bubble but So. Miss isn't ranked.

Posted by NC HUSKY

7:54 PM, Sep 27, 2007

My bad

Just a decent undefeated Conf. USA Team!

Posted by Archer

8:03 PM, Sep 27, 2007

The anxiety of WSU and Arizona over their upcoming game isn't because it is "pivotal" for bowl elimination purposes. The anxiety is that the winner avoids the Pac-10 cellar and the loser is looking at the realistic probablity of not winning a single conference game, including losses to Stanford.

Posted by jh

8:04 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Y'all don't think I frequent the ND blogs...but I ran across this one today about the west coast 9:30 AM start time this weekend:

"I'm excited for the early game time. I can go straight from coffee to beer with no awkward down time.

If we don't win any games this year, NBC may have us kicking off at 2:00 AM next year."

obediah | Email | Homepage | 09.27.07 - 9:47 pm | #

Posted by Dave

8:39 PM, Sep 27, 2007

What do they have to say about Chris Stewart, who just became the FOURTH elite ND recruit from the class of '06 to quit the team this month..."y'all?"

Posted by Malibu

8:43 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Couple of randum facts about the USC Trojans you might have missed:
-- USC is just 20-21-2 in games played in the rain.
-- USC's longest pass play this SEASON is 35 yards (and that was to the tight end).
-- USC's longest pass play in its win against WSU last week was 22 yards.
--Running backs Joe McNight, C.J. Gable and Hershel Dennis all fumbled at key times during Trojans' practices this week, and were royally chewed out. (The Trojans fumbled 5 times against Nebraska and for the season are at a -2 in turnover margin)
--Thomas Williams will start at the strongside linebacker Saturday night, not Rivers. Clay Matthews injury is more serious (sprained AC joint in shoulder) than reported.

Posted by Dave

8:48 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Surprising Malibu. Considering they have had at least one (us) and usually 4 conference opponents in the PNW, and 2 more in the Bay Area where it does at least sometimes rain, throughout their program's history, plus every other year they play at ND, I would've thought they'd have played more than 43 games in the rain.

Posted by Malibu

9:20 PM, Sep 27, 2007

More randum facts to put out there:
--This will the first time in history that USC will play a night game at Husky Stadium
--USC is only 1 game over .500 in all-time games at Husky Stadium
--The new forecast, just posted by the weather channel, is calling for a huge rainstorm to begin late Saturday night/early Sunday a.m. -- 100 percent chance of rain Sunday. It might just come in during the second half of Saturday night's game. The temperature Saturday night is expected to be 50 degrees, 44 degrees colder than it was at USC campus today.
--Taylor Mays, on L.A. media interviews, has admitted that he is distracted this week, especially trying to get tickets (over 60 he said). Also, this is the kind of stuff going on with him this week. This from a blog site: "And Mays wants it known he wants a date with Lauren Conrad, star of Laguna Beach and The Hills. "I just want to meet her one time," Mays said.
--Coach Pete Carroll is said to be very worried about this game and his team not taking it seriously. So worried that at Wednesday's practice he had the whole team take a knee and gave a speech about staying focused. Everybody pretended to listen, but nobody has seemed fired up about anything during this week's practices.
Malibu

Posted by Mr. G

9:33 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Sounds good Malibu, but Mr. Carroll tends to have some very well prepared teams. It will be a battle tomorrow. Go Dawgs!

Posted by Al T

9:39 PM, Sep 27, 2007

I like your enthusiasm NC Husky but So. Miss was 2-1 (now 2-2) and had beaten 1-AA school UT-Martin and East Carolina.

So a solid but not a 'good' team.

Posted by Malibu

9:42 PM, Sep 27, 2007

And finally:
--UW was unranked in 1975 when Dawgs beat 13th ranked USC 8-7
--UW was unranked in 1977 when Dawgs beat 14th ranked USC 28-10
--UW was unranked in 1980 when Dawgs beat No. 3 USC 20-10.
--UW was unranked in 1981 when Dawgs beat No. 3 ranked USC 13-3
--UW was unranked in 1985 when Dawgs beat USC 20-17
--UW was unranked in 1990 when Dawgs beat No. 5 USC 31-0.
--UW also beat USC 27-0 in 97 and 27-24 in 2001.
--TO BE FAIR: USC has won the last 2 times in Husky Stadium, 43-23 (2003) and 51-24 (2005)

But we CAN win this game. As I said in an earlier post, this game is a much bigger game than has been played up on this blog this week. No. 1 team coming to Husky Stadium for a Saturday night TV game. Man, it doesn't get any better if you bleed purple! Nothing better than a shot at the University of Spoiled Children in our house and, most likely, in the rain. Time to unite behind our Dawgs and believe we can pull off the upset.
Malibu

Posted by RJ

9:52 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Malibu, I love your attitude dude. And I wish I had your free time on my hands. GO DAWGS!

Posted by RK

9:58 PM, Sep 27, 2007

That new info on the weather is really interesting. Earlier today, it was 10 percent chance of rain Saturday. I just went to the weather channel myself and YES, what Malibu says is true. The new forecast is for rain beginning at 6 p.m. and 100 percent rain overnight with the wind chill temperature in the 40s!!!!

Posted by RJ

10:05 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Yes, wind and rain, lots of both, just like the 81 game when Marcus Allen was a senior. When the Dawgs recovered USC's fumbled kickoff in the endzone for a TD it was complete pandemonium. I looked up and you could barely see the other side of the stadium, just paper and plastic bags and everything else swirling in the wind and the rain... Man I'd love a repeat of that on Saturday night.

Posted by Purple Blood

10:06 PM, Sep 27, 2007

The Weather Gawd has spoken: Husky weather delivered right on time!

Posted by Malibu

10:13 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Yeah RJ, I was there too that day. Unbelieveable! If I remember, the floating bridge was closed at some point. The Trojans were just disoriented. What a game. Wish I could be there on Saturday for this one.
Malibu

Posted by Purple Blood

10:18 PM, Sep 27, 2007

NebDawg, SoCaldawg, Packy, pdx, Yakima, NY, NC . . . Where are all you guys tonight?

Posted by RJ

10:40 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Malibu, I'll lose my voice again in your honor. Who cares if USC is the #1 team in the nation? Who cares if they're 21 point favs and have 8 backs that could start for us? Who cares if they're 60-3 or something like that over the past 5 years? Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Nothing is over til we say it's over! Thanks for keeping us hopeful.

Posted by Malibu

10:44 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Thanks RJ. Looks like you, me and Purple Blood are the only ones still going tonight. Hey, I don't participate in any other blog, just this one, but since it is so slow here I did peak at the P-I Nathan Ware blog. He's picking the Huskies, 31-30.
Malibu

Posted by Dave

10:51 PM, Sep 27, 2007

I'm with you guys but I had nothing else to say so for once in my life I shut up.

I'll say this though, re: that '81 game, Fred Small is a hero for life in Husky Nation.

Posted by Malibu

10:56 PM, Sep 27, 2007

Nice call, Dave. Fred Small! Hope there is another unsung Husky who becomes a legend this Saturday night. Wonder where Fred Small is today?
Malibu

Posted by RJ

10:58 PM, Sep 27, 2007

I'm checkin out but I will close with this... no matter how much we question the coaches, etc. I like the change in attitude I'm seeing on the field. I'd love to see more emotion out of the gate but there is definately less quit in this team than the ones of the past 3 or 4 years.

Posted by RK

10:58 PM, Sep 27, 2007

I'm still with you guys, too. Can't wait to see the Huskies come out of the tunnel in those retro uniforms. That'll be something to remember. Bob, is this the first time ever the Huskies have worn anything other than the regular uniforms?

Posted by sunny.in.nanning

11:15 PM, Sep 27, 2007

RJ - I don't remember how we in the U.S. reacted when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. In any case, rewriting history, accurate or not, won't help the Huskies if they can't stop the run. USC doesn't need to pass the ball, and won't care if it is raining. I'll still be rooting for an upset, though.

Posted by Fish

11:21 PM, Sep 27, 2007

This is the first game i get to go to this year and it has a totally different feel than the gaes i have gone to in past years. I can't wait for this game. Bring on the rain and wind. I can't wait to feel the stands shake and see the dawgs come out onto the field. 31-24 dawgs on a Locker TD pass to Kirton down the middle just like old times. Special teams does the same thing the Hawks did against Cinci forcing a fumble on the ensuing kickoff and clinches the game.

Posted by SoCal Dawg

5:46 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Sorry to report this guys, but Fred Small was killed a year or two ago in a motorcycle accident of the freeway down here. He was an Inglewood police officer for several years and was riding his motorcycle home from work when he was hit by a car that I believe was driven by a teenager.

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

6:39 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Hey Malibu, I love those stats. I played on the 1981 team that beat SC in the rain and wind. I actually hi fived Fred Small as he came off the field after the famous fumble recovery. The problem with your analysis is all of the former UW teams that beat USC, HAD ATHLETES!!!!! I am flying up from AZ in the morning with my rain gear, hoping we can somehow make a game if it.

Posted by BoiseTruth

7:14 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Cody Pickett signs with the Toronto Argonauts --- CFL ----------- http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/170137.html

Posted by Reality Check

7:20 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Sorry boys!

SC by 30!

Posted by jh

7:30 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Dave...When you get too many Top 100 athletes at any one position the lack of playing time for each is problematical. Hence...someone will leave for "greener pastures"...something Willingham recruits will never have to face.

Posted by revolution

7:43 AM, Sep 28, 2007

You guys can talk about the rain and wind all you want, it doesn't really matter because Tyrone is still the coach and gives you guys no shot to win this game. If SC is having problems passing, they will just run it up the middle for 10 yards a pop. When you guys start to cheat on that, there they go on the outside for even more. USC 41 UW 10.

Posted by Mike

7:50 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Malibu brings up some really interesting stats. I'm not going to break this game down too much - I'm 3-1 on the year, the lone loss coming last week. UW's defense is going to be in for a long day. I'd expect a lot of what SC did to WSU, especially the short passes that UW has conceded to every team it has played this year. UW is overmatched in every facet. If UCLA can put up 44 in a game it easily could have scored 60 had it not had so many mental breakdowns in the first half, it scares me to think of what USC can do. I wouldn't count on soggy conditions being much of a factor - it didn't seem to help the Dawgs last Saturday.
USC 54
UW 17

Posted by Al T

7:50 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Let's see, this is direct from South Bend newspaper, not counting the latest defection, 16 scholarship players have left ND since CW arrival. So when they complain about lack of depth...they need to look at the kids run off because they don't want to play for CW.

Posted by Tarn

7:52 AM, Sep 28, 2007

You guys think the weather is going to make the difference? So, if we play in LA, does the smog make a difference...you forget one thing...the roster is full of kids that have never been off cement...much less played in the rain...remember the snow fall in Pullman a few years ago and the Calif. boys playing for the mutts fell apart...enjoy the game win or lose...I hope no one gets seriously hurt...buckle up.

Posted by pjs1967

8:08 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Rain or no rain, we can't stop the run and we turn the ball over way too much. I'm tired of the fact we have to hope on bad weather in order to give us a chance...hoping somehow bad weather is going to fix our problems...some of which are:

We can't run
We turn the ball over way to much
We can't pass effectively
We can't stop the run
We can't stop the pass
Our special teams are terrible
We play terrible second half football (USC plays excellent 2nd half football)

An upset is not only unlikley, it's impossible!

Posted by jh

8:09 AM, Sep 28, 2007

You wish!

Posted by jh

8:16 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Being competitive with SC should have began 3-years ago with better recruiting (TW can only rely on Gilbertson's players for so long). If the coaching staff isn't up for effective recruiting, then maybe they should move to the NFL (yeah, as if that's possible). Has the vocal UW fan base ever considered that your current players are over-producing and should be lauded?

Posted by Richard Lomas

8:17 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Ty Willingham has NEVER beaten USC. Not at Stanford, not at ND and not at Washington.---------------------------If we play a perfect game and capitalize on opportunities (which we keep missing out on each game)....then "maybe" we have a chance. Just too much "good opponent" against our "mistake prone young team"

Posted by Mallory

8:18 AM, Sep 28, 2007

jh

"too many Top 100 athletes at any one position the lack of playing time for each is problematical. Hence...someone will leave for "greener pastures"...

How about a fat arrogant coach and six bad losses in a row with dim prospects? That might make a player inclined to leave, too. Top athletes don't worry about the competition. (Having to do fall camp all over again might.)

What are you taking for the OCD?

8:21 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Richard --- Your last comment isn't true at all. Tyrone is 4-8 against USC going 4-3 while at Stanford. In fact, he is the last coach to beat USC at the Coliseum, when Stanford won their 21-16 in 2001.

Posted by jh

8:27 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Mallory...check out that "fat coach's" recruitment (Rivals.com) for the last three years - 2006, 2007 and now 2008. His average is 5th in the nation...while following a putrid coach who averaged 35th in the nation in his three years at ND. That same putrid coach while at UW, during the same time period as the "fat coach", has averaged 45th in the nation. If you want to talk to me about recruiting...you might want to research your facts. I have.

Posted by uw dude

8:28 AM, Sep 28, 2007

all this talk about the weather. i'm not really sure how the rain gives us an advantage. how many of the current players are used to playing in rain? of the last 10 home games, i'd be willing to bet that it didn't rain more than once. bob, do you have any stats on this?

Posted by Dave

9:11 AM, Sep 28, 2007

TW takes over 1-10 team, recruits 45th in nation, 3 years later is currently 2-2

CW takes over 6-6 team, recruits 5th in nation, 3 years later is currently 0-4

"putrid" coaching must be in the eye of the beholder

Posted by jh

9:14 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Which fan would you rather be in 2008, 2009, 2010, Dave?

Posted by Puget Dawg

9:20 AM, Sep 28, 2007

We also will be there, always since 1961. I guess rainy weather favors the Huskies (hopefully the Cal guys have been practicing in it) but it makes a tough sit when you are not under cover. I really like your attitude, I wish I could be as positive about the Dawgs, USC is daunting and they scare me but I forget the Huskies are 19 and crazy things can happen. It should be loud but dampened. Ty is not the issue, as some trolls harp on, it is capbility and execution and a bunch of luck, an upset could happen on national TV in the rain.
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by jh

9:26 AM, Sep 28, 2007

I wish the UW team all the success in the world. My point is that beyond luck...you need good players and good coaches. One comes from effective recruiting and the other comes from effective Athletic Directors. In the last three years...the UW fan base has had neither.

Posted by jh

9:46 AM, Sep 28, 2007

That's all I'll say today about coaches and recruiting. Best of luck against SC.

Posted by Dave

9:49 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Huskies, Huskies and Huskies, of course.

Posted by reduxdawg

11:11 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor too? All these years I thought it was the Empire of Japan.

Anyhow, whoever it was, they thought they were laying on a whooping and got whooped instead. Let's hope it works out the same for that smirky crew from SoCal.

Huskies rule! I'd a thousand times rather win with our recruiting class than their bloated roster. Where's the glory in that?

Posted by kr

11:42 AM, Sep 28, 2007

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor according to Bluto Blutowski. It's an Animal House reference (the best thing really to ever come out of Eugene.

On paper, no way the Dawgs win this game, but thankfully the game is played on the field instead. And if there's one player out there who will be used to playing in the wind and rain it's that kid who excelled in both football and baseball from Ferndale, Guaranteed he's used to Northwest weather.

So why not win this one? It will surely beat losing.

GO HUSKIES!

Posted by Dignan

11:53 AM, Sep 28, 2007

Embarassing how these people are missing the Animal House "Pearl Harbor" reference. How can you NOT have seen Animal House people???

jh...don't you get tired of spewing the same tired rhetoric day in and day out???? We get it already. What are you attempting to accomplish by posting here everyday? Is it to foster reactions such as mine? If so, mission accomplished I guess.

I'll be at the game this Saturday. I'm excited, like always, for Husky Football. I'm having a hard time getting over last Saturday though, as I was the most disappointed I've been in a long time. Hopefully some nasty weather will be the wildcard that will help the ball bounce our way a bit more than SC. However, if we don't start stopping some of the most basic of running plays, we are in for a looooong evening.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ken Shabby

12:26 PM, Sep 28, 2007

Let's stop hoping the weather will be our ticket to victory folks. Remember - BOTH teams have got to play in it. What we really need more than anything is to sustain drives. [I wonder what our 3rd down conversion percentage is since half-time vs. Boise? I'm guessing not too fantastic.] We'd better get some semblance of a true running game going, and I'm talking getting the running backs rolling, so we're not beating Jake to death. It don't have to be pretty, it just has to chew up some yardage and a whole lot of clock. Along with that we'd better get to throwing it on 1st down, and think about the intermediate routes. We need to keep the USC offense off the field! The defense needs a break. There's no depth up front; they have got to get a chance to catch their breath for more than a minute or two before heading back onto the field. We almost got 'em last year, and, in my opinion, if we could've gotten that last play off...............we win.

I've been harping on this for awhile and I'm sorry (not really) to beat a dead horse, but we have got to be more than a one-dimensional team to win in the Pac-10, let alone have a shot at beating SC. Gonna have to throw it to win it (I hope Ty's starting the right guy back there), or to even be competitive.

GO DAWGS! My early Christmas present: UW 27 USC 26