Politics & Government

Postman on Politics

Chief political reporter David Postman explores state, regional and national politics.

E-mail| About the blog | From the archive| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 14, 2008 1:35 PM

Rossi begins out-of-state fundraising

Posted by David Postman

Dino Rossi will be in Houston tonight for his second out-of-state fundraiser in less than a week. The Republican gubernatorial candidate will be feted by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, chairman of the Republican Governor’s Association, Rossi spokeswoman Jill Strait confirmed.

She said the event is in a private home and there is no set ticket price to get in.

Last Thursday, Strait said, Rossi was in Honolulu for a fundraiser hosted by Gov. Linda Lingle. Lingle may be an inspiration for Rossi. In 2002 she was the first Republican elected governor of Hawaii in 40 years - breaking a Democratic winning streak even longer than the party’s hold on the office in Washington. And Lingle won on her second try, after losing to the Democratic incumbent the first time by less than 1 percent of the vote. The incumbent was forced into retirement by term limits and Lingle and her Democratic opponent were running for an open office.

Rossi has been critical of how much out-of-state money has been raised by Gov. Chris Gregoire. Last month he issued a press release bemoaning “out-of-state special interests” he said were financing Gregoire’s campaign.

Gregoire has raised a lot more from out of state than Rossi has. She’s taken in more than $1 million from donors who list an address outside Washington. Gregorie has raised a total of $7.6 million.

Rossi has raised about $120,000 from out of state and a total of about $6 million.

Also: Gregoire has a big fundraiser on the schedule this week. Michelle Obama will be hear Thursday to headline a noon event for the governor. Eli Sanders says Gregoire is cashing in an IOU with the Obama campaign.

It may be too cynical to cast this as a purely financial transaction, but if you’re wondering how much Gregoire’s endorsement was worth to the Obama campaign the answer, so far, seems to be about $320,000.

That’s how much Michelle Obama will raise for Gregoire if the 1,600-person venue the campaign has reserved for Thursday is filled to capacity with people paying the required $200/head.

Posted by JimD

2:52 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Since he isn't going to win anyway, maybe we should thank him for bringing in out-of-state-money that will fuel our local economy when it cycles through Kinko's, yard sign makers, television and radio stations... and the rest.

Posted by Jim Guthrie

3:35 PM, Jul 14, 2008

It's pretty outrageous that Rossi is raising money outside the state ...

But apparently not so outrageous for Gregoire, right?

Good grief, JimD. Are you so blinded by your hyper-partisanship that you ignore your own candidate doing the Exact. Same. Thing.

Posted by JimD

3:47 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Now -- if Gregoire starts running campaign ads attacking Rossi on this, she'll finally be as hipocritical about out of state fundraising as Rossi is.

Posted by Bothsides

4:49 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Hmmm, who typically raises and spends more money, the D's or the R's.....hmmmm.

Posted by Turbine

5:09 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Apparently Gregoire is leading in the out of the Country frundraising too. Tribe Bribes for $500,000 .

Posted by Dino's Tlingit Background

7:35 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Dino Rosi did not recognize his Native Mother his own relatives and all of "Indian Country" would not vote for Dino... The Tlingit tradion is to name your mother and clan in introduction ... Dino refuesed to recognize his tlingit tradition... the 29 tribes of WA refuesd to support a native who shows no respect for his tradition. When I incounter tlingits in Seattle they cringe when I ask if they are related to Dino... Sad, when even your relative refuse to vote for you based upon tradition and character evaluation of a politician. Courious if dino has found his way in four years? " Indian country" is courious if Dino has found his way?

Posted by Turbine

10:19 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Sounds like someone who doesn't know Dino, but enjoys buying off Gregoire got her nose out of joint.
You get what you pay for with Gregoire..buyer remorse.

Posted by Darin

6:05 AM, Jul 15, 2008

Well, I voted for Mr. Rossi last time. I was even disappointed he lost. But I have actually been rather satisfied with Ms. Gregoire's performance as Governor. I may have to think about it this time. I'm having a hard time considering any republican given the state of our country.

Posted by Bothsides

8:18 AM, Jul 15, 2008

Yes, I to am extremely satisfied with the Govs performance, blowing through a budget surplus, taking us into a $2.3B deficit, raising the gas tax by nine cents with nothing to show for it, accept over budget incomplete projects. Yep, I'm pretty satisfied with those things.............

Posted by Bothsides

8:19 AM, Jul 15, 2008

Oops....meant to say "except".....

Posted by Jim Guthrie

11:36 AM, Jul 15, 2008

Good grief Jim Guthrie - could you possibly realize I'm referring to "his ilk" as BOTH candidates for governor? - jimd

Yeah. My bad. In your post you use the words Rossi, his, he and him ... and we're supposed to believe you're talking about both Gregoire and Rossi. And because you're consistent with your criticisms about both candidates, we should naturally assume 'ilk' means both. Got it.

/rolls eyes

Posted by JimD

5:04 PM, Jul 15, 2008

Guthrie,

I posted
"It's pretty outrageous that Rossi is raising money outside the state - but typical of his ilk I suppose.
Since he isn't going to win anyway, maybe we should thank him for..."

The reference to Rossi's ilk was in association with HIM - Rossi.
Had the positions been reversed, it would have read HER ilk.
It is grammatically correct and does not specify gender of the ilk I was associating him with.
The rest of the post clearly is just about Rossi, "Since HE isn't going to win..".
You tend to assume if someone doesn't like Rossi, they must love Gregoire.
I don't think most Washingtonians fit that simplistic, dogmatic and anti-pragmatic political stereotype - at least I don't.

But...in all honesty, I helped you jump to a reckless conclusion by not phrasing it better, and am willing to call it my bad for that failure if you wish.
If you don't try to put words in my mouth, I'll try to be more specific with the ones I post, deal?

If you haven't noticed, I have no particular fondness for Gregoire...or any politician for that matter.
They're all of the same ilk to me, regardless of gender or party - including Obama.

I just believe that in this choice between two of the same ilk - they're fkcunig politicians.
Gregoire wins my support by default, given the sleazy nature of her opponent, his tactics and some of his positions which I despise with every fiber of my being.
Gregoire, on the other hand, only offends a few of my fibers.

Posted by JimD

5:07 PM, Jul 15, 2008

Guthrie,

I posted
Since he isn't going to win anyway, maybe we should thank him for..."

The reference to Rossi's ilk was in association with HIM - Rossi.
Had the positions been reversed, it would have read HER ilk.
You tend to assume if someone doesn't like Rossi, they must love Gregoire.

Gregoire, on the other hand, only offends maybe half my fibers.

Posted by Bothsides

11:04 AM, Jul 16, 2008

JimD you seem pretty sure of yourself, especially given the polls have them at about a dead heat. Do you know something about counting votes in King County State (oops, I mean "just" King County) that we don't....

Posted by JimD

8:08 PM, Jul 16, 2008

Jul 16, 08 - 11:22 AM
The search for young conservatives

Jul 15, 08 - 03:34 PM
Republican gov group will have deep pockets

Jul 15, 08 - 07:43 AM