Politics & Government

Postman on Politics

Chief political reporter David Postman explores state, regional and national politics.

E-mail| About the blog | From the archive| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 26, 2008 10:07 AM

Gregoire mum on claim of Dems' ethnic slur

Posted by David Postman

Gov. Chris Gregoire has nothing to say about a Democratic Party video that used the Soprano’s theme song as the soundtrack for an attack on Republican Dino Rossi, an Italian-American. The president of the Italian Club of Seattle wrote Gregoire yesterday, saying the video was an obvious slur and urged her to call for the video to be removed from the party’s Web site.

The party agreed to change the music.

The letter from Italian club president Brian DiJulio was sent to Gregoire’s official office. Her communications director, Pearse Edwards, referred questions to campaign spokespeople, “given the political and campaign issues.”

The video was not produced by Gregoire’s campaign. It was done by the state Democratic Party, which said yesterday it will replace the music. For a while this morning, a headline on the Seattle Times Web site incorrectly referred to it as a Gregoire video.

Campaign press secretary Debra Carnes said the governor would have no comment on issues raised by DiJulio. “It’s not our ad, and that’s why it’s important we get a correction.”

Posted by Methow Ken

11:00 AM, Jun 26, 2008

The Gov's campaign claims no responsibility for an ad attacking her opponent that was produced by the State (D) party ??... If the ad was independently produced by SEIU or WEA or etcetera, then maybe that would hold a little water. GIVE ME A BREAK !!

11:03 AM, Jun 26, 2008

"Gov. Chris Gregoire has nothing to say about a Democratic Party video that used the Soprano’s theme"

She is waiting for someone to lead her through this thought process.

Posted by Jim Guthrie

12:16 PM, Jun 26, 2008

"It’s hard to believe Christine Gregoire and her special interest friends who are attacking Dino Rossi on his Italian-American heritage."

By jove, the names are interchangeable in Gregoire's response ads.

Posted by Particle Man

2:38 PM, Jun 26, 2008

Mr. Rossi himself has used the Saprano's refrence in connection with his campaign. Here is the link:
The Dems should have used another song though.
Perhaps: "Some times you win some times you loose, good time Charlie's got the blues"

Posted by Turbine

3:03 PM, Jun 26, 2008

Is it true since Rossi is half Native American the Democrats next ad will feature Casinos, Smoke Shops and Gill Nets that cross the entire width of local rivers? Whats that ?...She won't insult who ? Because they gave her how much ? SB 5500 the next great give away. Would she sign it ? Does Postman have the guts to ask?

Posted by Paul

3:57 PM, Jun 26, 2008

Gregoire, six days ago: "I call on my Republican opponent Dino Rossi to denounce the BIAW and these ads and instead run a campaign focused on good policy and the issues."

4:42 PM, Jun 26, 2008

To JamesB and whoever,

Hard to believe we have two “d’s” with the same attitude and IQ on this site.

The chance for something like this to happen is remarkably slim to none.

Have a great evening whoever you are tonight.

Sorry wrong post.....

Posted by linda

6:28 PM, Jun 26, 2008

What would the Dem's think of an ad against Obama using "The Jeffersons" theme song? Hum?
Someone in the state Dem Party needs his chain jerked.

Posted by Bill

6:37 PM, Jun 26, 2008

"Gregoire mum on claim of Dems' ethnic slur"

No kidding Post? After all its ok to a bigot, a racist, misogynist if you're a DeMorlaizeCrat.

The party of klansman robert byrd, the party of the Clinton's racism towards Obama, the party of Teddy leaving Mary Jo Kopechne to die, endless womanizing by Bubba and Teddy, etc.

Of course, Gubnor Pay Day Loan would have to have spine to speak out on this. Perhaps she sold it to the Indian Casinos for more campaign money???

Posted by HappyHeathen

11:21 PM, Jun 26, 2008

The Italian club was incensed over the music or because they wanted no part of Rossi? Which was it?

Posted by JimD

5:20 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Whoa...hold on a second here.
You mean Rossi is actually half Native American?

I think the ad's music selection is sleazy and distasteful, but it's more than ironic that the republicans are calling "racist" for his Italian-Caucasian heritage - which isn't a separate race from other European whites per se - when in fact he DOES legitimately qualify as a racial minority by his 1/2 Native American status.

If I were Native American, I'd be outraged that republicans are pulling a non-existent race card for the other half of what is his legitimate and legal racial distinction.
But of course, Rossi apparently wants to increase taxes on Indian reservations while reducing their right to free speech through campaign donations - according to his supporters who criticize Gregoire for the opposite - and perhaps they'd rather keep their racial association under wraps.
Wouldn't you?

Posted by Turbine

7:02 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Who cares what YOU would do if YOU were Native American Jim? What are you going to do for a living when the Governors enviriomental policies kicks you out of your car? You have said in the past that you travel the territory for business, I am glad that you are planning to start take the bus to see your customers. Or maybe you can get a job with the Government and get in one of those carpools, but really you should b living next to where you work.

Posted by JimD

7:27 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Turbine wrote:
"...You have said in the past that you travel the territory for business, I am glad that you are planning to start take the bus to see your customers. Or maybe you can get a job with the Government and get in one of those carpools, but really you should b living next to where you work..."

Turbine,
I am a long-haul commercial truck driver.
I spend most of my time living AT work, in my truck.
Greetings from sunny Tempe this morning, somewhere else tomorrow...somewhere else the next day....until I land back in my beloved pacific northwest for some time-off again.
I can't imagine carrying 46-thousand pounds of product on my lap in a Greyhound bus, but at the rate fuel is going up, it may come to that.
I'm sure you'd miss EVERYTHING...and I mean EVERTYING you own, use, drive, purchase, wear and eat...all of which comes on a truck - the reason we're out here.
But enough of that....

The Seattle area is one of the most congested and least favorite places to drive in the country.
As I've said before, our failure to get on top of transportation - particularly mass transit - is an embarrassment for such an otherwise intelligent, progressive part of the country.
I don't know if you're confusing me with someone else, but I've consistently expressed opinions here that support progressive transportation solutions.
I wasn't fond of the monorail, but mostly because it catered to a downtown elite at an enormous cost, with a vehicle system that would sit empty if a large earthquake made everyone frightened to get in it again.
Me thinks we're better off on solid ground, and should look to BART and Portland's systems as models.

I've repeatedly argued with those who don't appreciate the investment in a transportation future that may not afford US an immediate cost/benefit, but would provide something to future generations so they don't have to go what we're going through.

I really don't understand the nature of your complaint about my transportation opinions, but thanks for your interest in my travels :-)

Posted by Turbine

8:14 AM, Jun 27, 2008

The Governor giveth ( Monopolies to Tribes ) and the Governor taketh away ( Your livelyhood). I care even less about your transportation opinions than I do about "what you would do if you were Native American" . Keep the rubber down and the shiny side up.

9:07 AM, Jun 27, 2008

to jamesB,jimd

I thought you could at least come up with a viable come back (both of you). No use, trying to engage in discussion with someone who has no idea what he's talking about that includes all of you.

If you would have least given me the curiosity to finish my argument then make fools out of yourselves fine I could except that. Far be it for me to get in the way of fools making more Asses of them selves.

Opps wrong post.

Posted by jamesb

9:30 AM, Jun 27, 2008

John,

Get off the cross sir. No one kept you from posting or explaining anything. Both Jimd and I offered you advice as to how to find and demonstrate the evidence to support your claim. How can either of us come up with a counter-argument when you have failed to offer anything to support your claim? How can I answer these mysterious other posts of yours when you have not posted them?

PS, your “sorry wrong post” postings on other threads isn’t fooling anyone. Intelligence is measured by the number of times you make the same mistake and you have made that “mistake” numerous times now. You are either doing that intentionally or you just aren’t paying attention.

10:05 AM, Jun 27, 2008

To jamesB,
"I see Jimd answered your list of yes or no questions and yet you still have not followed up. What is the hang up now John?"

Whoever he is today, answered only six of seven questions.
Either he can't count or is stumped with a yes or no question. Perhaps I should have laid it out in multi choice.

I have given the proof you have requested on post through out this blog.

You can Goggle or search on the times all you want that's not the answer or proof.

Your blinded I cannot help you with this sorry.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!

Posted by jamesb

10:11 AM, Jun 27, 2008

John,
Please tell us where on this blog you have offered evidence of your claim. I’ll gladly go read it.

To the others on these treads: I apologize for having to bring a conversation that was started on another thread here but “john’s” habit of “oops wrong post” was getting tiresome.

10:14 AM, Jun 27, 2008

jamesb
9:59 AM, Jun 27, 2008
John,
“It means stop pretending others are keeping you from making your case. “

I’m not buying that answer I doubt any other God fearing person on this blog will either.
I will not respond to anything you post from here on. There was no need to bring that up you should be ashamed of yourself, but that is asking too much.

Posted by jamesb

10:32 AM, Jun 27, 2008

John,

Again with the excuses. You can’t respond to me because you know you have never made your case.

Posted by truth

11:17 AM, Jun 27, 2008

I call on Gregoire to denounce the gutter tactic of using ethnic slurs to demean an entire groups of people.

Posted by Turbine

11:34 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Gregoire just got ont he Dave Ross Show and proclaimed that she "Would sign a bill stopping illegal aliens from getting Washington State Drivers Licenses, BUT that she couldn't get anyone in the legislature to bring forward a bill for her to sign."

No really, Stop laughing. She couldn't get anyone in the Legislature to bring forward a bill requested by the Governor. Is she racist or simply powerless in a Democratic controlled Legislature?

Posted by JimD

1:50 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Turbine wrote:
"....The Governor giveth ( Monopolies to Tribes ) and the Governor taketh away ( Your livelyhood). I care even less about your transportation opinions..."

Well, I thought you did care about my transportation when you wrote:
"... I am glad that you are planning to start take the bus to see your customers. Or maybe you can get a job with the Government and get in one of those carpools, but really you should b living next to where you work...."

I don't care one way or the other, just a make up your mind.
The governor taketh my livelyhood away? LOL.
Now that's ignorance about relative inTRAstate highway infrastructure, WDOT vs USDOT regulation, fuel and road use taxes, the ports, the railroads, the impact of increased LTL combination freight, just in time supply, FMCSA hours of service regulations, the impending 2010 EPA engines, APUs, fuel surcharges...
Bottom line - you're paying through the nose for the loss of effeciency on inadequate freight routes in and around Puget Sound due to no effective mass transit, because you're too invest in long-term solutions.
My job is very secure so long as you continue to live - literally - not to mention al the additional trucks required to cover freight that spends too much time warehoused in slow traffic around here.
You don't know transportation from tinseltown, bud.

Posted by Turbine

4:27 PM, Jun 27, 2008

So fuel taxes and prices don't impact either your INTER or INTRA state travels? Your companies profitability? Your ability to make a living ? Fine and dandy , keep supporting the Governor. Just connsider her your legislative lot lizard.

Posted by JimD

11:44 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Oh Turbine, you are so clueless...
Fuel taxes and prices are a business cost.

I know you see stories on TV about truckers hurting - and there's some truth to that, especially small independents who don't have the scale and critical mass to maximize their efficiency and keep up with an industry that's become very tech-savvy and complex.
But carriers that decide to move freight at a net loss, go out of business real fast.
The costs to make it worthwhile come out of your pocket in virtually everything you buy and every service you use.
That's why groceries are going up, for example.
Everyone simply passes-on rising fuel costs to their next customer, resulting in the current "inflation" we're seeing.
If it costs us money to sit in traffic - and it does (by eating up the DOT limit on the number of hours we can drive times the productive miles we could have moved) we raise our rates - typically across the board - so we can still pay all the bills and taxes and make a decent net profit (around 8% industry wide).
Having said all that - the industry has become extremely competitive as customers fight higher shipping rates, and trucking has made huge advances moving more freight more efficiently - particular large carriers with the expertise and technical know-how to innovate new ways to improve efficiency.
I work with more computers and logistics software than you can imagine.
The days of convoy and rubber duck culture are long gone.

Far be it for a dumb truck driver to offer his opinion...but I've come to believe that getting more passenger vehicles off the road with mass transit, combined with reducing single occupancy vehicles through incentive (carpool lanes, etc) will have deeper long-range economic benefit than most folks can imagine, including improved efficiency in commercial freight with shorter, more predictable travel times in an ever increasing "just in time" distribution system.

Refusing to invest - and invest heavily - in sensible, creative people-moving alternatives such as light rail will result in consumers wasting ever-increasing amounts of money and time moving themselves from one place to another, and continue raising the cost of all the goods and services that also travel our roads.
We can spend money paying higher taxes to build something of lasting value that moves people, or we can flush roughly the same amount of money down the toilet fueling single-occupancy vehicles that sit in traffic.

It may be penny wise, but pound foolish to put this off any longer.
And it's going to cost a bundle.
But it's going to cost more to continue doing nothing, or creating some false hope that simply opening up carpool lanes or encouraging people to "live closer to work" will noticeably ease congestion.
We're relatively locked-in to our current infrastructure.
Fine tuning won't do much.
We simply HAVE to start building a good, high quality and no doubt very expensive mass transit system right now.
Better than spending the same money on more and more fuel with nothing to show for it.
There is no cheap choice here.
Let's pick the one that makes the most sense, not just for us, but for future generations that will reap the rewards of our foresight.

9:57 AM, Jun 28, 2008

To whoever,
These words of wisdom will come back and haunt you :)

"All these costs - including my wages, the ever rising insurance premiums my company pays (etc) are passed on to our customers - the shippers who PAY us to move their product to it's next destination.
These shippers pass these costs on to THEIR customers - that next destination...and so it goes until the full cost of the freight is eventually passed on to its final destination - typically retail in my line of trucking."

"You had to have a senior moment and temporary left fairytale land "

PS still fell asleep half way through.

Cheers,
John

Posted by jamesb

11:19 AM, Jun 28, 2008

John,

Try drinking less. It may help you stay awake while reading others posts.

12:57 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Jamesb and whoever

You apologized for me the other day rightly so; we should leave this web site for good.

Tell me where your favorite Anti-Christian,Anti-America,Anti-President Bush,Anti-Republican, Anti-War on Terror web site is.

I’ll get my diver suit and will need a few days notice to purchase many oxygen tanks and meet you there.

Posted by JimD

11:08 PM, Jun 28, 2008

John wrote:
"...I will save this for future post on taxing the Oil companies, Health care, Lawyers, and corporations including other tax, surcharge you "d's" come up with..."

When you have a few minutes between narcoleptic attacks, you might want to READ if you don't already know how prices are set.

8:38 AM, Jun 29, 2008

You “d’s” are totally helpless in finding anything on your own or thinking without help of others.

One day soon an article will pop up and I will apply your words to it.

This is the real reason you “d’s” need government without it your helpless.

Posted by jamesb

9:38 AM, Jun 29, 2008

John,

No one, including you, had any idea what your previous post was about. It can across as the mad ravings of a lunatic.

As far as us “d’s” not being able to find anything on our own, aren’t you the one who has been posting claims about bias without being able to show a shred of evidence? Yeah, that was you. Wasn’t it you who kept posting on different threads and adding a line at the bottom saying “oops, wrong post” as if anyone believes you were not doing it intentionally? Aren’t you the one who resorts to personal attacks and childish name calling when called on your BS? Yeah, that was you.

We all cower in the face of your brilliant retorts John. Your logic is thoughtless…….oops, I meant flawless……well less than something anyway.

10:01 AM, Jun 29, 2008

d's doesn't stand for democrat as your post shows it stands for dumb!

I would bet your boss, took you from the packaging area and gave you a truck, when the technology allowed the truck to drive it's self and he needed someone to unload the shipments at the receiving docks.

Now, give me the web site address so we can let real discussions precede here without your insulting comments.

Posted by jamesb

10:35 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Oh John,

You really don’t like it when someone points out your silly tactics. I suppose it’s like FOX “news” making stuff up and having idiots like you believe it.

By the way, I work for myself so I don’t have a boss.

Posted by JimD

10:35 AM, Jun 29, 2008

"...This is the real reason you “d’s” need government without it your helpless.
..."

I don't know, John.
Where would YOU be without your government hand out?
Surely you don't work, since you can't stay awake long enough to finish a 30-second read, can't communicate a simple thought without asking for several days to finish it...and obviously can't spell better than an under-educated fifth-grader.

Some help for the helpless:

""...This is the real reason you “d’s” need government without it your helpless."
This is two sentences. You need a period after "government" and "without" should be capitalized.
Two spaces between sentences is the old manual typewriter standard that has carried over to most electronic text, but one space is also acceptable.

"Whoever you are" references more than one potential person, and should read "whomever you are."

When you say "Without it your helpless", you mean "without it YOU ARE helpless."
Combining "you" and "are" into one word is called a contraction, and is spelled "You're".
"Your" implies some form of possession.
(YOU'RE not taking YOUR narclopsy medication.)

"You have no idea what I was alluding to in your previous post nor did I except you too."
You're mixing past and present tense with "have", followed by "did."
Pick one of the other:
"You HAD no idea...nor DID I expect you to.", or...
"You HAVE no idea....nor DO I expect you to."

A simple way to check your grammar (and some spelling) is to say the sentence out loud.
Assuming you speak better than you write (I'm willing to be generous here) a good rule of thumb is to write it the same way you'd speak it.
This conversational writing style will be far from perfect but might encourage others to take you more seriously, especially if you can state some logical point.

10:49 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Say whatever you want about my education and writing habits. I retired at age 53 after 31 years of commission only this was in 2001. I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else your insults are laughable keep them rolling.
That said tell me the web site please?

Posted by JimD

11:25 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Well, here's a site you might enjoy:

It's the general discussion "ROUNDTABLE" forum from TRUCK.NET, the largest on-line trucking site in the world.
I moderate for this site sometimes (taking a breather right now, the "Johns" wear you down pretty fast).

It moves very fast, with hundreds - sometimes thousands of posting per day.
No one's going to give you a couple days to present a case.

The current discussion topics include:
"Hatred for White People and America!"
"Ah those great crooks in Washington"
"Buckeye Lake Travel Plaza is now history"
"Truck OEM International LoneStar Earns EPA SmartWay Certificate"
"America's Top Enemies to the Economy and Fuel Prices"
"Oil Absorbent & Hydrogen Peroxide is an unhealthy mix!"
"The cost of just about everything is going UP..!!"
"FMCSA makes available four HOS documents"
"PICTURES OF NAKED WOMEN IN TRUCKS!!!!!"
"What is the Midwest Road Situation?"
"Proof of a Very Biased Media!!"
"The Superiority of Europeans: An Example"
"Why in the hell should we copy Europe?"

I think this may be a good match to your interests - something to waste your time with while sitting on your azz collecting your monthly entitlement check.

But as I mentioned when I referred you to TRUCK.NET before - you will have to register as a member with a verifiable e-mail address, and will be held accountable for any slander.
If you attack other members the same way you do here, with no other purpose than to "stir siht" as we call it over there, you'll be thrown out.
I'd also suggest cleaning-up your grammar, spelling, etc.
The drivers, industry insiders and their associates and families who post on TRUCK.NET are relatively articulate and intelligent - and take some pride in how they present themselves.
Hopefully you can do the same.

Have fun!

12:04 PM, Jun 29, 2008

I really hate to say this about anyone I really don't know however I would bet your on illegal drugs.
As your memory and capability to think out of the box shows in your responses.

12:07 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Now on with the web site I have requested we (me and the 3 of you) go to permanently.

The Web site I was asking about
is a Democrat sponsored site.

Not a truckers web site silly.

12:29 PM, Jun 29, 2008

I'm responding to you in segments so you will be able to follow.

"monthly entitlement check"

What is it about math that alludes you ?

If you could count you would know I'm too young for Social Security, silly.

Posted by JimD

10:48 PM, Jun 29, 2008

If you're retired from 30 years commission - and unless you won the lottery - your means of support is some kind of pension, right?
Is that not an entitlement?
Is it not paid for through our tax dollars (if you're retired government or military) or paid for in the private sector through our spending and purchases (if you were privately employed)?
In either event, I'm happy to help support your early retirement and wish you well.

I'm frankly lost on what it is you're asking for help with about web sites.
I have no intention of going anywhere with you, but thanks for the invite.
But I truly and sincerely think you'd enjoy "playing" on the above mentioned site, as do many similarly interesting characters over there.
That was no joke or put down.
And it's a discussion forum, not a blog, so you can start your own threads, post pictures and videos...etc.
It's the most "fun" discussion forum I know of on the net, especialkly if you like knock-down, drag-out cat fights and such - lots of retired teamsters and interesting folk I think you'd enjoy, as I do by the way.
I guess I have no other suggestions, unless you can be more specific about what you're looking for...?

12:26 AM, Jun 30, 2008

We did have health care but once I quit I lost that. No pension, however I paid dearly into
Social Security and Medicare. I worked hard and long hours
to get where I wanted to be at age 50 missed it by 3 years.
At age 62 you will be supporting me. No lottery, Just invested wisely and yanked it all out on March 1,2001 my timing was perfect. I have heard about The democrat underground and it's too spicy for me.
I'll stick around here to keep you honest.

Posted by JimD

6:52 AM, Jun 30, 2008

Well actually your employer also paid dearly into your SS account - a cost he passed on to us - but I get the picture.
Are you happy with 15 more productive years ahead of you and nothing worthwhile to do?
I suspect not - old habits die hard and you sound like a worker, not a slacker.
Not for me, but I admire your investment timing.
Good job with that at least.

If you find this "democratic undrground" in your Internet travels, please come back to tell us.
That sounds fun too.

9:01 AM, Jun 30, 2008

Ha,HaHa,

nothing productive to do Yep!!!!!
Fished every day except Sat-Sun 2001-2006
Then built a new home which keeps me busy and we go on trips.I don't have a slightness feelings on working again.
Sure business's treats expense as the cost of doing business, when I hear the far left wanting to hurt business be it oil or whatever it's just going to increase the price of doing business they will not absorb the cost or taxes.
but it will make a lot of liberals feel good and that is the problem. How can you feel good when it's going to come back and bit you? Talk about speculation of the market these politicians have a inside track on what will and will and what not happen.

Anyhow, this is what I meant about your words of wisdom will come back to haunt you.

Now maybe you will find what I mean about bias at the seattle times over time I'm sure you'll find it.

"but I admire your investment timing.
Good job with that at least."

Not, really I lost big before 2001 but had time to make it up.
No, I'm not going to that democrat underground as I said before it's too spicy for me.

Posted by Zenon

7:10 PM, Jul 21, 2008

Yahhhhhhh, IT'S SO WOUNDERFUL, HIGHER TAXES FOR US AND TRIBAL HANDOUTS FOR CHRISTINE. I WANT MY 650K BABY. WHY ARE THE DEMS BENT ON DESTROYING THE COUNTRY, TURNING TERRORISTS LOOSE ON AMERICA'S STREETS THROUGH LITIGATION AND HANDING THE COUNTRY OVER TO ILLEGALS THAT HATE US AND REFUSE TO ASSIMILATE. I NEED THERAPY AND PROZAC, OH SORRY THATS THE DEMS REMEDY FOR GLOBAL TERROR.

Jul 21, 08 - 03:41 PM
DCCC schedules ads in WA 08

Jul 21, 08 - 02:48 PM
On the radio

Jul 21, 08 - 10:44 AM
New anti-Locke -Rossi ads on the air

Jul 21, 08 - 07:13 AM