Politics & Government

Postman on Politics

Chief political reporter David Postman explores state, regional and national politics.

E-mail| About the blog | From the archive| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 11, 2008 12:41 PM

Dave Ammons to leave AP

Posted by David Postman

Veteran capital reporter Dave Ammons of The Associated Press will leave his post after 37 years to take a job with Secretary of State Sam Reed. Ammons began his stint in Olympia in the summer of 1971. He just came in to tell us the news.

I'm stunned because it is hard to imagine this place without Dave. He is the "good Dave" that keeps the world in balance. He said the decision was a hard one to make. It'll be tough for those who can't rely on his institutional memory and constant good humor and positive attitude.

More later, before he makes the jump. But good luck to Dave in his new job as Reed's communications director.
Ammons.jpg

That's Ammons on the far right at the Senate press desk during the Legislative session. (Photo by Senate photographer Dick Baldwin.)

And here's a column I wrote about him in 2001.

Posted by charla

2:32 PM, Apr 11, 2008

I keep thinking this must be a belated April Fool's Day joke. Dave IS the AP! I'm stunned. It's certainly a loss. I don't know about you, but my jaw sure dropped...

Posted by Jim Guthrie

2:51 PM, Apr 11, 2008

Heh. Welcome to the Dark Side, Dave. :)

Posted by Ogre Mage

3:58 PM, Apr 11, 2008

I"m really sorry to hear that Ammons will no longer be a practicing journalist. I've always appreciated the clarity and insight of his writing and consider myself to be a better-informed person because of his work.

Posted by Rich Wood

4:35 PM, Apr 11, 2008

Our state's media won't be the same without Dave. He has played an unparalleled role in Washington politics. Good luck to him.

Posted by upchuck

10:37 PM, Apr 13, 2008

is it significant that someone who "is the ap" is leaving his current job to go directly to work for an elected partisan official? or does this happen all the time?

Posted by redflag

1:00 PM, Apr 14, 2008

Ammons is one of the good guys. His departure will have statewide impacts because his singular reach framed much political coverage statewide.

Posted by upchuck

10:24 PM, Apr 14, 2008

"his singular reach framed much political coverage statewide"

...precisely my reason for concern.

i understand that ammons is well respected, but repeating history with people moving in and out of government from positions that are regulated by or supposedly hold government accountable teaches us that we should not have to rely upon the good nature of the individuals involved to protect us from conflicts of interest being abused.

Posted by allen gibbs

12:30 PM, Apr 15, 2008

Dave has long been my go-to source about state government happenings. I think back on the long line of folks in that office - Leroy Hittle, Dale Nelson, John White, and then some folks I've forgotten. Nice to know that Dave will continue to be available to us for both the history and modern times interpretive aspects about this state's operations.

Apr 15, 08 - 11:36 AM
Burner breaks 500K in '08 fundraising

Apr 15, 08 - 08:40 AM
Another Democrat not yet ready to approve Colombia deal

Apr 14, 08 - 01:42 PM
Clinton's new-found optimism

Apr 11, 08 - 05:37 PM
Washington Dems unsure of Colombia trade deal

Apr 11, 08 - 01:34 PM
Sonics fans take over Gregoire rally