advertising
Link to jump to start of content The Seattle Times Company Jobs Autos Homes Rentals NWsource Classifieds seattletimes.com
The Seattle Times Reader comments
Traffic | Weather | Your account Movies | Restaurants | Today's events

December 06, 2006

Dashboard confessions

Comments: 30

What's the dumbest thing you have ever done while driving? Tell us all about it — anonymously, if you must.

BlackBerry tapping causes car-crunching chain reaction on I-5

Your comments

Responses will be held for review, and we'll publish a selection.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of other authors or seattletimes.com itself.

Your phone number and e-mail address will be used only if we have a question about your comment. It is not stored for any other purpose. See our privacy statement.

By submitting content for publication by The Seattle Times Company, online or in print, you agree to abide by our terms of service.

Selected comments

Emailed, text message, eating, talking to my kid, driving fast, driving too close... everyday is warfare strategy through traffic and I'm beat by the time I get to work!

Posted by Kelly at 09:05 AM, Dec 06, 2006

I've been seen driving and changing clothes, studying, or even making cole slaw.

Posted by Kat at 09:20 AM, Dec 06, 2006

Changed clothing from ski clothes to jeans and a t-shirt while driving down from the mountain.

Posted by Ski Nutt at 09:27 AM, Dec 06, 2006

Sex, drugs, played guitar, changed clothes, shaved, text messaging,

Posted by John at 09:36 AM, Dec 06, 2006

Read this story about the accident, e-mailed my friends about it, posted a comment to it, all while changing my IPOD to play David Hasselhoff songs after eating a yogurt breakfast bar

Posted by Jason Young at 09:47 AM, Dec 06, 2006

I don't do dumb things when I drive. However, once I was following a women driving a hatchback and she was, while driving ~60 mph, folding clothes, sheets and towels from a laundry basket in the back seat of her car....mult-tasking taken to a dangerous extreme!

Posted by MJ at 11:03 AM, Dec 06, 2006

Listened to Al Franken on Air America.

Posted by harryberlin at 12:09 PM, Dec 06, 2006

While driveing a manual transmission i used to shift, drink a coffee, smoke a cigerrete, talk on the cell phone, change a CD all while driving in rush hour traffic. Not any more, no smoking or drinking coffee in the car and no more manual transmission.

Posted by RR at 12:12 PM, Dec 06, 2006

reading, text messaging, adjusting the stereo, eating and changing shoes. Traffic is always so bad I have to multi-task while in the car

Posted by ms easton at 12:14 PM, Dec 06, 2006

Unbelievable. After reading some of these I am a little frightened about getting back out on the road. Traffic is getting faster, but drivers are getting stupider.

Posted by Felinda at 12:31 PM, Dec 06, 2006

Drove for over a year with untreated sleep apnea. I had many close...some could be called intimate...encounters that could have been tragic. I'm glad I finally got treatment.

Posted by SleepyNoMore at 01:08 PM, Dec 06, 2006

145mph across the I-90 floating bridge.

Posted by Scooter at 01:13 PM, Dec 06, 2006

Forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh while in the car. Can you picture David Muench's "The Scream"?

Posted by Rebecca Hathaway at 01:38 PM, Dec 06, 2006

Once on the way to opera rehearsal I propped the score up on the steering wheel and sang through it. While eating a cheeseburger. But I was pretty careful. I made sure to glance at the road every other measure.

Posted by Patrick at 02:33 PM, Dec 06, 2006

The scariest part about these comments is that even when the posters are joking, somewhere (probably in Seattle) there is someone actually doing it....

Posted by Annie at 03:04 PM, Dec 06, 2006

Failed to request a carrier for multiple drinks at the drive through coffee stand; they spilled going around a corner. While trying to drive and mop up the mess I veered into a ditch...making a mess of my car both inside and out! I was cited for negligent driving - my first and only accident in over 30 years of driving.

Posted by Karen at 04:33 PM, Dec 06, 2006

While working as a volunteer firefighter/emt in college we once we called to an accident where the driver broke his femur (upper leg) but when we arrived his pants were already below the injury. (ie they were down before the accident). He explained that he was late and was trying to pee out of the car door while driving and crashed.

Posted by firefighter at 12:34 AM, Dec 07, 2006

It wasn't me, I swear, but I saw a woman in an SUV reading a magazine while hitting about 60 mph on I-5.

Posted by Karen at 07:23 AM, Dec 07, 2006

Simultaneously eating a sandwich, drinking coffee, driving stickshift, and fending off a large hungry dog in the passenger seat climbing over me to get at the sandwich.

Posted by Evan at 08:21 AM, Dec 07, 2006

I have been commuting between Seattle and Tacoma for over 20 years and here is a list of some usual and unusual things I have seen drivers doing.
Many of the observations were from watching while following, but some were occurring right next to me, usually at 60 mph.

Usual-
Cell phone usage,
eating,
watching TV,
reading a book, newspaper or map,
doing their hair and/or makeup (not restricted to women only on this one),
shaving ( once with lather and razor,. I bet he supports filling the potholes in our streets.),
flashing,
kissing and sometimes what I call ‘kissing plus’

Now for a few unusual things

-Looking through binoculars- while driving by Boeing field a fellow was continuously looking through his binoculars at the airfield. This would continue for 5 or 6 seconds at a time. As I recall it was in moderate traffic.

-Cleaning a gun - the driver was holding the wheel in one hand while running a cleaning brush through a shotgun barrel. All this in complete view of his commuting neighbors.

-Washing their dog- a woman had what appeared to be a bucket in her front seat full of water and her little dog was in her lap covered in soap. I was behind her and could see her dunking the little dog in the water as she drove.

-Driving livestock- a medium size family sedan with what looked like a small calf in the back seat. Could have been a pet, as I drove by it was wearing a cute collar and a bell. Since the driver appeared safely commuting I had no beef about this.

Reading a newspaper in a convertible-now reading seems to be usual but try it in a convertible with the top down on a sunny day.

Painting-I once saw a driver with a small artist’s brush painting on a canvas set up in the passenger seat. Obviously not a still life.

Posted by Johann at 08:39 AM, Dec 07, 2006

On the bus from Seattle to Marysville, I looked out the window and saw a woman driving her car while using a laptop computer propped between her and the steering wheel.
Scary.

Posted by ali at 09:51 AM, Dec 07, 2006

Studying for my human anatomy class, eating (that includes eating with chopsticks while driving), text messaging, changing a whole outfit (I had multiple jobs at times), finished a Powerpoint presentation on my laptop while driving, phone calls, looking at magazines... but then again, my list ain't so bad as compare to some of the drivers out there! :)

Posted by Wendy at 10:16 AM, Dec 07, 2006

I like to play the harmonica. I also read a lot, but latley I've been doing Soduku puzzles. Oh, I removed my air bag so I don't get a book in my face. I know that is against the law, but who checks....

Posted by Roy at 10:18 AM, Dec 07, 2006

The worst I've seen was a woman eating a bowl of cereal and milk with a spoon while using her knees to control the steering wheel as she entering the freeway at about 40 mph.

Posted by Andrew at 10:33 AM, Dec 07, 2006

I pulled over a woman who was breast feeding her baby while her 12yr old niece was steering the car from the passenger seat. Niether the 12yr old or baby was restrained. The ticket for neglegent driving, no child restraint device and no insurance was $1177.

Posted by Chuck Dolittle at 11:33 AM, Dec 07, 2006

This article and posts take a joking look at people doing stupid things while driving. I will bring this back into focus. My mother was killed 8 years ago in a head on colision by a women eating a bowl of cereal while driving.

Please when you are driving, be just driving. I don't want anyone else to have to go through what my family and the family of the lady eating the cereal has gone through.

Posted by adesguy at 12:15 PM, Dec 07, 2006

A friend and I were headed to the University District via I-5. We happened to end up behind a car that was driving way below the 55 mph speed limit. Not only that he was weaving back and forth while in his lane. We wondered why he was driving so slow when there was no traffic jam. My friend finally had enough of the slowpoke and moved to another lane. As we were passing the car, I looked over and saw the guy had a newspaper spread out on his steering wheel and driving at the same time. Not once did I see him look up to check out traffic.

Another example: As a friend is driving down a road at 45+ mph in a 35 mph zone and sees something of interest as we pass it by. It's not enough to check it out on the way back, the driver has to crane their neck so that they are looking backwards as the passenger (me) watches the car heading towards a ditch.

Posted by Natalie at 12:37 PM, Dec 07, 2006

I wish you had phrased your initial question, "What is the most egregious manner in which you have endangered yourself and other, innocent people while hurtling down the highway in several tons of steel?" As for the woman who makes cole slaw while driving because she's always running a bit late, I have a question for her? Will she make some of her signature dish for the family of the poor fellow traveller she sends to the hospital through her negligent disregard for others?

Posted by Liam Griffith at 02:01 PM, Dec 07, 2006

A former coworker of mine got ticketed for playing his guitar while driving - fought it in court and got off because people can eat, talk on the phone, etc. when they drive.

Posted by bob from the eastside at 02:18 PM, Dec 07, 2006

I got a ride home from college once with a guy who drove about 100 mph while smoking a Marlboro, rolling a joint and drinking an RC Cola all at the same time. I was sitting in the passenger seat looking like Woody Allen in that scene from Annie Hall when Christopher Walken is driving and talking about what it would be like to run head first into oncoming traffic. But, I made it home. Whew.

Posted by Ellen at 02:39 PM, Dec 07, 2006