advertising
Link to jump to start of content The Seattle Times Company Jobs Autos Homes Rentals NWsource Classifieds seattletimes.com
The Seattle Times Reader comments
Traffic | Weather | Your account Movies | Restaurants | Today's events

November 28, 2006

How the storm has affected us

Comments: 65

Share your story about how the weather has affected you with Seattle Times readers. Were you among those stranded on clogged roads last night? And if you made it into work this morning — or not — tell us what roads or bus routes are OK. What are your plans for the rest of the day?

Go to the story here.

Reader photo gallery: Snow hits the Northwest

Your comments

Responses will be held for review, and we'll publish a selection.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of other authors or seattletimes.com itself.

Your phone number and e-mail address will be used only if we have a question about your comment. It is not stored for any other purpose. See our privacy statement.

By submitting content for publication by The Seattle Times Company, online or in print, you agree to abide by our terms of service.

Selected comments

The Eastlake area near Lake Union is pretty much clear of snow and ice on the roads. And the No. 70 bus was running fine -- probably didn't need the chains.

Posted by Bob at 08:54 AM, Nov 28, 2006

In the Admiral District, side streets were very icy but arterials were clear at 7 AM. My number 57 metro bus came on time, and delivered me downtown 20 minutes faster than usual!

Posted by Paul at 09:03 AM, Nov 28, 2006

The puget sound seems like it is always ill-prepared for snow. employers and news media outlets and government need to find a way to communicate what the weather is going to be like the schools in advance of the storm. let's face it - we have science behind where and when it is going to snow and yet it is ill-used for the benefit of getting people in and out of the soon to be inundated areas. 4 hour commutes just because of a known event are insane.

Posted by Bryan in Issaquah at 09:04 AM, Nov 28, 2006

On my way home last night I saw two jack knifed articulated Metro busses. The fact they didn't chain up knowing the weather was heading our way is criminal. What does Metro have to say? This morning, not a single grain of sand on I-405 from Lynnwood to Bellevue, where is WSDOT?

Posted by Roy in Lynnwood at 09:07 AM, Nov 28, 2006

Well the weather report was for snow on Sunday. I drove home from work at the Bellis Fair Mall-Bellingham Saturday night at 7p in white out conditions doing 15mph on the I-5. Since then we have had up to 2 feet of snow and all roads in the area resemble hockey rinks. I was scheduled to work today and took a test drive yesterday to see if I could make it to the freeway. After ending up sideways on the Birch Bay Lynden Road I carefully made my way back home. A call to my boss this am to inform her I wasn't going to be able to make it was received with "we probably aren't going to open the store today. This would be macy's so you know the weather is bad if Macy's doesn't open!

Posted by Vikki in Birch Bay at 09:12 AM, Nov 28, 2006

PLEASE remind your readers to bring in their animals, if they keep them outside for some reason. It is too cold for them and you, as their owner, made the promise to care for them.

Posted by michelle ranous at 09:26 AM, Nov 28, 2006

My vehichle wouldnt make it up the hill to Harborview Medical Center. I had to stop and put chains on my 2006 Nissan Z roadster. As I was backing it up to get the chains on, the car started slipping backwards. Several hospital employees on foot stopped and helped me aim the vehicle to the curb so it wouldnt slide all the way down the hill. Whew. Another few inches and it would have slid all the way to the market.

Posted by Carl Wigren MD at 09:44 AM, Nov 28, 2006

Power, phone, and heat out for 18 hours on the west side of San Juan Island. And power has been off again since coming on late last night.

Posted by Christopher at 09:50 AM, Nov 28, 2006

It took me 8 hours (4:30 to 12:30) to go from exit 24 to 26 on 405. Like million others I was just parked on the freeway and TV "didn't know why it was blocked" until hours later.

Posted by Sep at 10:12 AM, Nov 28, 2006

Last night's 11 (ELEVEN) hour commute was not only a nightmare for the drive, but had a few other experiences that can be summed up in the phrase lawlessness abounded. There was a man who was urinating in public view standing on the freeway and then made a lewd gesture and facial expression to me and another woman, right there in front of many drivers. I called 911 for a completely separate incident in which a man was driving the wrong way down the entrance ramp on 405 and was intimidating people and got out of his car, came up to my window and told me to move out of his way but I could not. The 911 dispatcher, despite me telling her I was very frightened of the man approaching me and his behavior and asked her to stay on the line with me and she said she didn't have time and hung up on me. That was scary. Another time an 18 wheeler started sliding on ice right next to me and if I had not scooted over to the shoulder it probably would have hit me. After leaving the Seattle downtown area at 5:15 pm, I finally got home at 4:00 a.m. without falling asleep at the wheel, thank goodness. I called the man I am dating and he nicely talked on my cell phone with me to try and calm me down. I finally reached a breaking point after 9 hours of being trapped with all the thousands of commuters and started crying, I couldn't stop crying. I later started talking to a few of the people who had turned off their cars or were walking around about why our WA DOT failed us in thinking ahead and using salt rocks to help melt ice or sand on the freeways. Is this Afghanistan or the United States? We are a civilized society with equipment, are we not? I mean, it's not like they did not know we would have snow and ice. Myself and other drivers were very upset with the DOT last night after realizing they are the ones responsible. Are they so unreliable? Last night's nightmare is UNACCEPTABLE.

Posted by Michelle at 10:15 AM, Nov 28, 2006

Left SeaTac at 9:50 pm Monday nnight...arrived in Olympia at 3:45 am Tuesday morning ...unbelievable... worst 67 mile ice rink, worst traffic ever, exits blocked with abandoned vehicles, jack-knifed trucks and buses; hotels were full...mission impossible IV! Thanking the Lord that I made it home.

Posted by Shayron Clarke at 10:16 AM, Nov 28, 2006

Return to SEA airport, Monday night. Prior to landing-- aircraft hit by lightning. Friend who was picking me up, was stuck in traffic -2 hours and counting, so I shared a cab with 2 others. Cab line over 100 people, so we went upstairs at airport. Nice cab driver took us, then after 2 hours arrive at a point to catch a bus to meet up with friend -(who was stuck in traffic) Once we were together,in car.. we got rear ended!! No injuries..

Posted by Pam at 10:16 AM, Nov 28, 2006

I hope the news media does some serious reporting on the lack of preparation by the authorities. I spent seven hours on the freeways and surface streets. Why were articulated buses allowed on the streets? Why were there no chain requirements in effect? Where were the sanding trucks? Unless you were stuck in the mess, you don't have any idea how serious the situation was. I find it amazing that, luckily, no one died in this mess. I'm not blaming the authorities for the storm, but there needs to be some accountability for the lack of planning, communication and execution. One shout-out for KOMO AM 1000. Their radio crew did an amazing job of keeping us informed as best they could. They were the only source of information last night on TV or radio. They should receive a community service award.

Posted by Mark at 10:17 AM, Nov 28, 2006

It sounds like I was lucky last night. Got on 520 from Redmond at 4:45pm and got home to the Ravenna area of Seattle at 7:00pm. Apparently that was the easy commute. With the exception of one car being restarted with jumper cables in the left lane (?!), there weren't many crazy or stupid drivers on that road last night.

My husband, who works in Snoqualmie, and I are both working from home today.

Posted by Rachel at 10:39 AM, Nov 28, 2006

I spent 4 & 1/2 hours last night getting home. I drove approx 8 miles on rt 99 which was a solid sheet of ice and abound with abandoned cars and multiple accidents. Crossing 145th over I-5 was terrifying it was solid ice. I have a four wheel drive vehicle and I had little or no stability. I was flabergasted this AM to find that my employer Seattle Housing Authority expected its employees to risk life and limb to come into work. We are a social service agency and serve the public, as an employee to be given so little consideration is amazing to me. Our board of directors needs to take a serious look at how this agency is being run. Every news broadcast I have heard this morning is saying do not go out unless you absolutely have to, to do so is to add to the problem. Some people are NOT listening.

Posted by anonoymous at 10:45 AM, Nov 28, 2006

To all those who're complaining about the failures of WA DOT and KC Metro, I sure hope you're also doing all you can in favor of mass-transit. The real problem isn't that WA DOT/KC Metro didn't instanteously react to unusually cold weather, it's that Seattle-area roads are overcrowded with single-occupant vehicles. What's insane isn't 4 hour commute times in freezing snow and ice, it's that the people in a progressive, well-read and forward-thinking town like Seattle can't get their act together when it comes to focusing on, and solving, the real transit issues.

Posted by Chris at 10:55 AM, Nov 28, 2006

There were three of us in the carpool lane going north on 405. We left our office paking lot at 5 35 PM. We reached the 164/Lynnwood car pool parking lot at 12 54 AM. I know our adventures were like eveyone else's but we were lucky. We each had 1/2 a left over sandwich from lunch, which my driver side passenger retreived from the trunk of my car in the ice. I also had water there, too. But I think the neatest thing we saw was when we were somewhere near the Beardsley exit and someone (in their spare time)had made snowmen about 12 inches high, on the top of the barriers that divide the north and south lanes of 405. Cheers to their creativity. We made it home safely for which we are thankful.

Posted by Betty Lampkin at 11:10 AM, Nov 28, 2006

I think the city of Seattle needs to provide for its citizens alot better when it comes to weather, and roads. Just because we don't have as cold of weather as some areas, doesn't mean our city should just SHUT DOWN every time it snows, and or freezes. I think it's rediculous. Why can't we get some salt on the roads? Especially in those most hazardous areas. Instead we sit back with our news cameras and watch as people wreck into each other, and the rest of us miss work, and put a complete hault to any sort of production. Can you imagine if other cities were to just sit back and not address the streets when it gets cold. How would Chicago make it through a whole day when everyone has to just stay home because they're too afraid to drive.?
Seattle is a joke when it comes to any type of traffic management, or desicion making. I did make it to work today. I drove, and I made it. However, theres no business, since no one will leave their homes today. Is this what we can expect everytime its 32 degrees out. What a joke. Come on Seattle.

Posted by Chris Martin at 11:12 AM, Nov 28, 2006

My wife and I went to the Seahawks game last night. Our bus didn't arrive at the King Street Station until 11 PM and we didn't make it to Lynnwood P&R until 1 AM. Since we had so much time on the bus to talk to ourselves -- and others -- we couldn't help but recall the other fall/winter situations that were similar to this one. November 1985. February 1990. December 1990. Christmas 1996. Yesterday just doesn't happen very often. I also recalled my younger brothers staying home from their Seattle school (20 years ago now) because of the THREAT of snow. Having already graduated, I was merely envious. No one and I repeat NO ONE really could've predicted what happened last night. Think about how seldom it snows inside the city limits and how often the temps get as cold as they did -- in NOVEMBER on top of that. Even as late as we were out and as late as it was when we arrived at the P&R, we gave a fellow rider a ride close to home (he was on one of those planes that was struck by lightning last night). He was thankful for the ride. We were thankful to make it home. It never once occurred to us to blame someone for something that happens about once a decade. For those of you who made it home last night only to turn around and point fingers at others, was Thanksgiving just five days ago -- or five years ago?

Posted by Michael at 11:19 AM, Nov 28, 2006

I had a three hour drive from Seattle to Tacoma last night. Left Seattle about 10:45pm & got home just before 2:00. It was bumper to bumper all the way, and relatively few crazies on the freeway. It probably helped that there just wasn't enough empty space on the freeway for the crazies to get moving.

Stay home if you can. If you can't, drive like you intend to get where you're going.

Slow down.

Leave some room.

Try not to drive in others' blind spots.

Don't hit your brakes if you start to slip; take your foot off the gas.

If you break traction when you're trying to get moving, don't step on the gas. You'll only spin worse. Back off, let your tires regain some grip and then GENTLY press the gas so you don't break traction again. I always drive in D2 or second. There's less initial torque, and you're less likely to spin where starting out.

Please ... be careful out there! You want to get where you're going ... so do I. Don't put us both in the ditch!

Posted by dave at 11:20 AM, Nov 28, 2006

Horizon flights to Bellingham from Seatac were canceled yesterday, so they offered us a bus. We left around 6 pm and it had been snowing again. The approach to I-5 was slush over ice, and it took more than an hour to get onto I-5, because of the cars ahead of us that couldn't negotiate the small curve and hill. Then it was stop-start (mostly stop) pretty much all the time until just south of Everett. What a great driver we had, even though it took seven hours to get here. We'll go back to the Bellingham airport to pick up our car in a few days!

Posted by Barbara at 12:22 PM, Nov 28, 2006

If you don't absolutely have to drive, don't drive.
This is a great reason for staying home with loved ones.

Posted by Pete at 12:27 PM, Nov 28, 2006

During Monday night commute, I experienced most of the delays and traffic jams caused by abandoned Metro buses. I saw 6 buses abandoned within 3 blocks. 2 were side by side blocking both the lanes (I think one was trying to pass other on the icy slope).

Posted by Kishore at 12:30 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Monday 11/27/06: Left work (Bellevue)at 4:31 PM, arrived home (Mill Creek) at 12:56 AM, 8 hours, 25 minutes later.

Posted by Bill at 12:33 PM, Nov 28, 2006

My husband and I left lower Queen Anne at about 4:30. It usually takes us 20 minutes to pick our daughter up at daycare. Last night, we arrived at 6:30 after getting stuck on Mercer and sitting in the express lanes on I-5 North. When we got to her daycare, there were still several children there waiting for their parents. As we were leaving, a woman came into the parking lot, telling us she ditched her car and walked.
After that, it took us another hour to go up 5th Ave NE from 117th to 170th. As we waited for what seemed like forever, to go through a light, many people abandoned their cars. Our car was sliding as we idled. 145th at 5th was closed by the state patrol. At 170th, we picked up a friend whose car had stalled when he attempted to pick up his toddler at daycare. My daughter and I got to go home while they braved the elements to pick up our friend's daughter. His wife, who was coming in from Redmond, ended up having to ditch her car up around 145th and walking home. All told, everyone wasn't safe at home until after 9:30
I am thankful we have a Subaru Outback and that my husband is from Alaska so he doesn't drive like an idiot.

Posted by Jenny at 12:44 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I left work at 4:30 pm in Renton and got home, Bothel Everett Highway exit, at 2:20 am. The drive started to get dangerous about Kirkland. This is my second winter in Puget Sound area and I was not prepared for such a hazardous long drive. I hope the DOT send their salt+sand trucks early tonight so the highway will be managble today and tomorrow.

Posted by hafiz at 12:47 PM, Nov 28, 2006

RE: the cars stranded on the Sunset/Highland ramp up to the plateau in Issaquah: If you want to get them up the hill, NOW is the time to do it (1 p.m.-ish Tuesday). The sun is melting the ice just enough so you can rock your car out of its spot and slowly and very steadily make your way up the hill without sliding.

I spent my whole life in the Midwest before moving to Seattle, so here are some snow driving tips: 1) Don't stop or accelerate quickly, always ease into a stop or start. There's no shame in driving 5 mph if conditions call for it. 2) With good tires, driving in a few inches of snow or slush is better than driving on slick ice, so position your car on the road off of a shiny surface. 3) If you are stuck in snow, do not accelerate and spin your wheels--it will create an ice slick. You must rock your way out of it to gather forward momentum. You can use sand or kitty litter to create moderate traction under your wheels. Good luck!

Posted by Jules at 01:10 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I left work in Woodinville at 4:45 PM and arrived home in Lynnwood at 12:46 AM. The long commute was uncomfortable and frustrating but I am so grateful that I arrived home safely. Most drivers near me were courteous, with the exception of a woman in a white Taurus who wouldn't let anyone merge in front of her once we finally started moving. I guess she's just more important than the rest of us. Thanks to KOMO 1000 newsradio! This was the only station with traffic reports last night. The DJ-free radio format can be fun to listen to, but I appriciate a station that reacts to it's listeners and their situation. KOMO's "Driver to Driver" gave me good information and helped keep me sane. They have a new listener in me! I'm staying off the roads today. If you don't have to go out, stay home, too. If you do have to go out, please drive slowly & carefully!

Posted by Hilarie at 01:10 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I don't understand why people in Seattle have such a tough time in the snow? I mean its 1-3 inches..nothing! Just boggles the mind why people cannot figure out how to drive at a slow and even pace in the snow and all is well? Everyone else in the country manages, why can't we?

Posted by Joe at 01:41 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I headed out to get coffee and a snack last night after being told "there is no snow left on the main roads." I live near North Seattle Communty College. The coffee shop was less than 2 miles away. Total time for the trip: 2 1/2 hours.

Posted by Brian at 02:09 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I can not believe you don't have decent snow removal equipment we never shut down even if there is 30 inches of snow Alaska. And we are a smaller city than Seattle, Lynnwood ect.
Get some tips from us Anchorage Alaska

Posted by aksnow at 02:13 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Busses literally blocking the street in the U-District/Ravenna and a short but steep hill that was closed off in Wedgewood affected my drive home last night, as did trying to find a way to get to Sand Point without having to go down a large hill.

This morning I had to find my way out of Sand Point without having to go up large hills. Saw a car in front of me spin out that couldn't have been going more than 10 MPH.

Fortunately morning traffic was extremely light, so going 15-20 MPH on ice on a detoured route took the same amount of time as going 35 MPH during regular weekday mornings on the regular commute.

Posted by Michael at 02:15 PM, Nov 28, 2006

This morning it took 45 minutes to get a 44 in Ballard, by the time it got to Wallingford, it was so full it passed by stops with people waiting. Usually this bus comes by every 15 minutes.

Posted by JC at 03:07 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I went to work at 5:45 am this morning and as I left my neighborhood and headed down to 167 it was as if I was in a movie. Dozens of abandoned cars for the mile down the hill...some even in the middle of the road. I am so grateful that I grew up in the Midwest and I know how to drive on this stuff. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the rest of the city.

Posted by Kristina at 03:09 PM, Nov 28, 2006

The forecast for Monday was for 1 to 3 inches of snow in Seattle around 1 PM. Granted that snow did arrive in the Seattle area a couple of hours later, somebody needs to look at why both Metro and DOT don't have contingency plans when snow hits in the afternoon? Metro buses were getting stuck all over as they did not install chains as snow fell? DOT trucks were not sanding the major arterials on Monday afternoon.

If you look at the common theme for the snowstorms that stranded Seattle residents in the early 1990s and 1997, the snow started falling in the afternoon and the buses did not have chains then and DOT did not have trucks sanding right away.

Posted by Val at 03:28 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I have to say this is the worst handling of a storm that I've ever seen, and this one wasn't bad at all. Having recently moved from the Northeast, where roads are treated with liberal amounts of rock salt before storms, I was shocked that WSDOT apparently doesn't believe in the stuff. The van that I have, which has made it through blizzard conditions, is all of a sudden now sliding all over the place.

I'll trade the high taxes of the NE for basic SAFETY any day of the week. Big thumbs down to WSDOT.

Posted by Mike at 03:40 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Thankfully, the college I work at decided to close all day today, Tuesday. On Monday evening my usual 35-minute (26-mile) commute from Bellevue to Mill Creek took 8 hours, 20 minutes. So I sat...and thought...listened on and off to KOMO 1000 to try to learn what exactly was ahead in "the vortex"...helped a woman in front of me whose car died...and prayed...and decided that if there is anything I can do in the future to help break our dependency on CARS, I will. I will continue praying for all who are out on the roads again this evening. My Dad, a Minnesotan by birth, offers this simple wisdom: DRIVE GENTLY.

Posted by Ruth at 04:02 PM, Nov 28, 2006

To the fellow who said that yesterday's traffic jam means that we need more buses, I say keep your social engineering to yourself. The cause of the 405 North jam was your precious buses not being prepared. If I had taken the bus home, I would not have made it home. Many of us were prepared for snow, why not Metro? Kudos to KOMO 1000 radio with the information. The DOT needs to be investigated for their poor planning and response. Where was the sand? I left Kirkland at 7:00, and did not arrive at home in Everett until 2:00 am. Had I stayed on 405, I probably would not have made it home until much later.

Posted by Grant at 05:04 PM, Nov 28, 2006

My kudos to the #355 driver going north last night at around 7:30pm. Not only did he not get stuck, like the other three buses on Greenwood going north, but he got us close to the end of the route before having to turn back. He complained that Metro didn't provide chains on Monday. Bad, bad Metro.

Posted by Lydia McIntosh at 05:06 PM, Nov 28, 2006

My husband and I both work at the UW; Monday it took us nearly 4 hours to get from the UW to the Kenmore P&R and then home in Bothell. Even at 5 on Monday buses were sliding in the UDistrict (no chains; ice and slush; very minor inclines); buses couldn't go through campus so we walked across to UVillage and picked up a bus to Lake City, then a bus to Kenmore. There was only 1 route into our neighborhood, as the hills were blocked by police or cars or both, but our AWD van did fine. Sanding, salting, chains and reasonable driving would all be helpful. Lots and snow and ice today (Tuesday); we all stayed home from work. Our son, a WWU freshman, wasn't able to get back to B'ham until tonight, first because buses and taxis weren't able to get around, then because we couldn't get him to the Greyhound station in Everett, and today because they buses weren't running north - but the Amtrak is doing fine so he's on his way back at last!

Posted by Miriam Marcus-Smith at 05:07 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Seattle area drivers dont't know how to drive in the rain so why should they know how to drive in the snow? The reputation of a friendly, gentle, sensitive city falls away when you get out on the roads. I drive I-405 from Lynnwood to Bellevue every day. One morning I wrote down 30 license plate numbers of single occupant cars in the HOV lane - just because I was bored. This isn't DOT's problem or the WSP. This is our problem. I watched the driver in front of me acclerate through the red light at 168th and 99 in Lynnwood last night in less than optimal conditions. Why? So s/he could get home 3 minutes faster. "Snibbling" is the new competive sport on the highways. You know what? The car ahead of me on the on on ramp at the start of my commute that weaves in and out of lanes, cuts people off and works up a good dose of road rage is still just two car lengths ahead of me when my commute is over. Commuting to work is not a competitive sport. Relax, listen to the radio, invest in books on tape, enjoy the view. Don't go to the Seahawks game when the weather is bad. Use your brain.

Posted by Carolynn from Lynnwood at 06:00 PM, Nov 28, 2006

To those that are used to driving in snowy weather and think this isn't a big deal:

First of all, it's not "just" snow. It's ice. The thaw/freeze cycle is what makes the hazardous conditions.

The heavy shade in places from the evergreen trees causes the patches of ice that people slip on. This may not be the case in some snowier areas.

And it's true; some people do drive like idiots because they aren't used to this weather. I sure wasn't used to it; this was my first time driving in these conditions. I sure tried not to drive like an idiot, but I also tried to give grace to those who did.

Thanks to the people who directed me on how to get my car up the hill when I was spinning and scared, and to everyone else who stopped to see if they could help someone. This is a great display of community in Seattle.

Posted by Amber at 06:37 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Made it to work in Georgetown in the same amount of time I always do from West Seattle. Several others also showed up. We worked like crazy. The boss ordered in pizza. The pizza guy made it to our building. The produce was fresh at PCC when I stopped by on my way home and the clerks were cheerful and efficient. The West Seattle Schucks, however, sold out their last windshield scraper a half an hour before I got there and I intend to lawyer-up and go howling after them for it because no Schuck's store in ALASKA or WISCONSIN would expect me to continue scraping my windshield with a credit card in the midst of a dire natural onslaught such as that under which we currently labor.

Posted by Carol at 06:38 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I flew into SeaTac last night from Hawaii. Our flight was stuck in a holding pattern over Olympia for about an hour, waiting to hear whether we could land at SeaTac or get diverted to Portland. Luckily we were able to land here. Even with the delay, my brother (who lives 10 miles from the airport) was still stuck in traffic on Hwy 99. I picked up my car at his house and started driving home. There were cars abandoned left and right across Sunset Blvd. into Renton, and along Benson hill going south into Kent. Just a solid sheet of ice the entire way. I finally made it home at 1:30am.

Posted by Steven in Kent at 06:41 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Monday, left work at 2:30 got home 15 minutes late because of Seahawks traffic. Tuesday left Seward Park at 5:00 AM and got to work in Bellevue at 5:25, five minutes later than normal.

Posted by Eric at 06:45 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Whenever snow is forecast, I drive about half a mile from home and park my car in the ditch. The result is the same as if I'd waited for the snow, then tried driving. Advantage is not having to trudge home in the snow.

Posted by Don from Woodinville at 07:49 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Monday's commute was awesome. 2 hours to get from Evergreen Hospital to Kamiakin Jr High in Kirkland. What's the distance, 1 mile? I saw lot of good samaratans helping stranded motorists (you do know that people are nicer in the suburbs) and everyone seemed to keep their cool amidst an increasingly desparate and tiring situation. More snow tomorrow. Hey, let's do it all over again. NOT.

Posted by Jim L at 07:55 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I left Seahawks game at around 9pm and had a smooth bus trip to redmond on ST545 at 10pm. Unaware of the mess, I took local to my home in Juanita area. I was stuck on 100 Ave for 2.5 hours on a 2-mile drive. Made it home at 1:40am.

Posted by CX at 08:38 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Just wanted to comment on the rock salt idea. Rock salt would work very well on this snow and ice. The downside is, your car would get chemically rotted by the salt. Ever see those rust spots and holes on East Coast cars? The reason the WSDOT does not use it, is because they are trying to save your cars.

Posted by Tim at 08:41 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Ok, Seattle drivers don' know how to drive in the snow and on icy roads, so what? We don't get such a weather very often, is there a place where we can pracice? I personally don't know how; I had my baby daughter with me in the car, so I totally freaked out when my car started spinning; I got out and took my baby out; fortunately some guys helped me to pull my car over into a driveway; but if they didn't I would just leave it on the road because my baby safety was my first priority. I am glad my husband is a better driver than myself and he was able to pick up our other daughter from the daycare. However, he still wasn't able to make it home because we live on a hill - they have to walk. (We live in Kirkalnd).

For the car-pooler advocate: and how exactly would it help yesterday if more people were carpooling? If a freeway is totally blocked, it just doesn't matter if there are more or less cars stuck on it. I am totally for carpooling, but blaming single-driver vehicles for anything and everything is just ridiculous!

In general, I have a feeling that for some people it just feels good to call others idiots :(.

Oh, and while I agree there are supid and reckless drivers on our roads - go drive in California or Florida. I never even dare to get behind the wheel when we go on vacations to those places.

Posted by Alex at 09:20 PM, Nov 28, 2006

For those complaining about last night's commute: What were you doing out there to begin with? The DOT can't cover every road at once, and you were warned well in advance what the conditions could be like. Next time, find a hotel or a friend's couch

Posted by Annie at 09:25 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Cold weather and snow had me cut my vacation in Seattle and Vancouver BC short. Could not drive to BC because of bad weather. Got tickets home to Denver on Monday night instead of waiting for my flight on Wednesday night. Got to the Airport at 5:00 pm just as the snow was begining to take its toll further north. I left Northgate area at about 4:30 pm, just raced ahead of the falling snow. Had to wait 2 hours on the plane for de-icing and runway clearance. My 7:35 pm flight finally left Sea-Tac at 9:45. Got home safely to Denver at 1:00 AM. Now I am sitting here on Tuesday night reading all of the stories while it snows heavily in Denver Tonight. Expecting 7 inches in Denver tonight, but we have good DOT which will keep the city moving as best as it can. Good luck Seattle. Will be back again, hopefully when it is warmer.

Posted by Steve at 09:51 PM, Nov 28, 2006

I had been to Renton at 5pm on Monday for quick shopping in Walmart. I live Bellevue. Thank God! I didn't decide to go Lynnwood Walmart at 5pm on Monday. Whilst coming back from Renton, I saw cautionary messages - Heavy Snow at Kirkland, Use caution. I drove up north 405 and finally made it 520 E and took exit at 40th st. That's where problem started. Cars were inching ahead every 5 to 10 minutes. I decided to park near overview lake business area and walked home (40th st and 148th Ave). I'm glad that i decided to park the park in overlake business area. On Tuesday afternoon, i drove the car back home. I did work from home today. By the way, I lived in Detroit for 2 years. That experience was helpful.

Posted by Umesh Satyanarayana at 09:53 PM, Nov 28, 2006

98 degrees in Melbourne, Australia tomorrow. I think my Seattle friends should move out here.

Posted by Nick at 10:37 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Left my office in Kent about 4:00 pm Monday. Decided to take I-5 instead of 405 my ususal route. Made it home to Mill Creek by 7:00. Had I taken 405 it would have taken me another 5 hours. Most of the problems I saw were caused by lack of preparation. I lost count of the rear wheel drive BMW's and light trucks parked on the side and in the center of I-5. I really got a laugh watching a number of 4 wheel drive vehicles struggling since their drivers failed or perhaps didn't know how to engage their 4 wheel drive systems. Despite the fact that we were all warned that the snow was comming, it seemed few were prepared. Metro buses were the least prepared at of all. Before I left for my commute in Monday morning, I had the foresight to throw chains, boots, water and granola bars in the trunk. Yep, must have taken a good two minutes to prepare for the snow we were warned about. Don't blame the DOT Seattle, blame those who were warned that there was a high chance of snow and failed to prepare.
Snow happens people. Be prepared or stay off the roads!

Posted by Allen at 11:09 PM, Nov 28, 2006

Most people I know are out of work - and we work retail, which hardly EVER closes for circumstances like snow. We actually had to shut down the store hours early, which was nice, but also means a smaller paycheck. I'm sure we weren't the only ones losing business.

People this far north need to be more prepared for weather like this. We have had snow in the past, and I'm sure we'll continue to get more of this in winters to come. Think about the summer this year. We hit hundreds several times. People were fighting over fans. And now this winter? Frozen roads, teen degrees. If this is an effect of global warming, we seriously need to wake up and start preparing more.

Posted by Molly at 12:07 AM, Nov 29, 2006

2 snow days in a row are great!

Posted by Zach at 11:00 AM, Nov 29, 2006

The #43 bus running from downtown to the U-Dist was on time today as well as early yesterday afternoon. There were no delays whatsoever and there seemed to be no problems with the Metro bus system right in the downtown/Capitol Hill/U-Dist. as well.

Posted by E.N. at 11:28 AM, Nov 29, 2006

Monday's commute home from downtown Seattle to Issaquah on route 216 was a nightmare. The bus, without chains, took 40 minutes to climb the off-ramp at Exit 15 on I-90. It would crawl forward and slide back, time after time. Finally, near the top, the bus could not manuever the left turn to cross the bridge. All passengers were asked to leave the bus, walking onto the icy road with cars slipping and sliding all around us. We then walked across the ice covered bridge over I-90 and began the long trek to safety. Ice and snow were pelting us with thunder and lightening crashing over head. It was extremely frightening. Where were the chains for the bus?

Posted by Sherri Hosieni at 11:57 AM, Nov 29, 2006

Why are there buses driving around dry, clean Seattle streets this morning with chains on them, going 5mph and destroying the road? They should've chained-up Monday afternoon, not Wednesday morning! I don't care if you don't know how to "practice" driving in the winter - stay off the road! Driver's licenses need to be revoked from all the idiots who can't drive properly when it's sunny out!!

Posted by Paula at 12:00 PM, Nov 29, 2006

Although I was home and warm I have been bombarded with smoke from chimneys in the Seattle area. The pollution in the neighborhoods at night is awful and gets into the cracks in the door and windows. So not as fun as it could be. I feel like I smoked a cigerette last night! Am I the only one! I actually hope so. Otherwise, I have had a blast taking life a little more slowly with the kids and taking walks on roads that I mostly drive on. I hope the homeless are warm and their stomaches are full of food. Cheers.

Posted by Liz at 12:10 PM, Nov 29, 2006

There is a spot near where Hwy 9 meets 522 that is on the county line between Snohomish & King that is a complete disaster! Neither county would sand it...took both my husband and son over 4 hrs. to get home Monday nite because of that ONE spot. Come on can't the Police request special needs? Why wasn't it sanded?

Posted by Dianne Zimmer at 01:07 PM, Nov 29, 2006

My hero is my husband of almost 37 years. He drives a Metro bus in the morning and takes me to my job when he gets home and picks me up when I am done when the snow and ice hits.

Posted by Kathy Howe at 01:45 PM, Nov 29, 2006

I was thinking earlier about getting a frozen dinner for tonight. I think instead I'll just get some fresh stuff, walk home, and let it freeze on the way. This guarantees that I have the most freshly frozen.

My genius always comes out in the wintry months.

Posted by Pete Berget at 02:12 PM, Nov 29, 2006

After a 3 hour drive home Monday (not as bad as some), I was shocked that UW was going to open on regular hours on Tuesday. Even Microsoft closed on Tuesday. Poor decision by UW putting their employees and students at potential risk.

Posted by Will at 02:41 PM, Nov 29, 2006