Business / Technology

Brier Dudley's Blog

Brier Dudley offers a critical look at technology and business issues affecting the Northwest.

E-mail Brier| 206.515.5687 | Follow Brier on Twitter| Microsoft Pri0 blog| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 24, 2008 9:44 AM

Qwest bringing fiber broadband to Seattle, other cities, but to everybody?

Posted by Brier Dudley

Finally, the company is offering truly high-speed broadband services with new packages announced this morning - a $50 per month package offering up to 12 Mbps, and a $100 per month package offering up to 20 Mbps.

Qwest's announcement said it's investing $300 million in the fiber services, which are now ahead of schedule and will reach 2 million customers by the end of 2008.

Sounds great, especially if the prices start to come down. But we still need more specifics on the rollout - how long will it take for the 14 million-plus homes in Qwest's service area to have access to fiber broadband?

When I asked a spokeswoman, she said the company can't get too specific "for competitive reasons."

"I can however now confirm that it will be coming to Seattle neighborhoods in rolling phases," she said.

(To see if it's coming to your neighborhood, go to Qwest.com and enter your phone number.)

Without a firm commitment, cities like Seattle may still feel obligated to build their own fiber networks to be sure everyone has access to truly high-speed services. Seattle's effort to lure an alternative to Qwest is moving ahead, by the way. The City Council this week agreed to commit $185,000 to the project, and the city is on track to seek proposals from vendors in September.

Responses would be in hand in January, according to the city's CTO Bill Schrier, although the schedule could be adjusted to sync with City Light's separate research into adding broadband services.

UPDATE: Qwest's spokeswoman told me you enter your zip code to find out if the service is available in your area. It's funny, though - I tried that and the site said the service is available, but when I entered my phone number and pinpointed my house's location, Qwest said the service wasn't available.

Even if it was available where I live, the price is pretty rich - to get the entry-level fiber service at $46.99, you have to also sign up for a $29.99 package of premium phone services, over and above your basic phone line. Without the bundle, it costs $51.99.

The difference between $52 and $47 isn't huge, but for me at least there's a psychological barrier at $50 per month - under $50 and I'd consider it, over $50 and it's out of the question...

Posted by Tricia

12:11 PM, Apr 24, 2008

my comment was just denied! Ugh! Basically what I was saying is that Qwest has been advertising higher speeds for some time -- even after you enter your zip code. but it's not true. They aren't available. I'm willing to pay, I feel like there's plenty of 1mbps options, nothing on the higher end, no matter what the costs. and some people don't have comcast in their neighborhood....Qwest is delivering around 500 kbps to my home and I'm less than 2 miles from downtown seattle. That's ridiculous. They need to focus on bringing everyone up to 1mbps for starters. I don't see them moving quickly, it seems like all talk.

Posted by Brier

12:28 PM, Apr 24, 2008

Hey Tricia, nice to hear from you. You're so right - same thing in my neighborhood, where the billboard says 7 mbps but it's flat out not available. (Sorry about the denial, maybe you get special treatment by the system here ...)

Posted by David Geller

1:17 PM, Apr 28, 2008

Qwest is funny. I called and was informed, right away, that all details of the conversation would be confidential. Ah, yeah, right. Anyhow - the service they're offering is DSL. So, the upload speeds will remain low/poor when compared, for example, to Verizon's FiOS service. In fact, for both the Qwest Titanium (12Mbps down) and Qwest Quantum (20Mbps down) the upload speeds are both capped at 1Mbps upstream (according to snapvoip.blogspot.com). Is this good enough if all you're doing is download stuff (such as movies)? Perhaps. But as soon as you start uploading (to Flickr, for example) you'll feel the slowness. If Verizon FiOS is available to you consider it before the Qwest solution.

Apr 28, 08 - 10:03 AM
More on GTA: Spurned by Rockstar Games

Apr 24, 08 - 05:04 PM
Ramping up and hiring: WatchGuard, Attachmate, Ontela ...

Apr 24, 08 - 01:45 PM
Buyout guru: Ballmer has to buy Yahoo, no need to raise bid

Apr 24, 08 - 11:48 AM