Photography

Best Seat in the House

Photography, sports and life as seen through the lens of Seattle Times photographer Rod Mar.

E-mail Rod| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 4, 2008 6:26 PM

Olympics: Thugs, Not Hugs.

Posted by Rod Mar

Kristi Heim, one of our business writers, and myself were in a remote part of Beijing working on a story all day. The story has yet to run so I won't share any more about it. But as we were visiting some of our subjects, a group of three men found us. One of our group, a local Mandarin speaker, intercepted them and tried to explain our presence in their neighborhood, but it didn't seem to satisfy them as they used their mere presence to try to make us nervous.

Neither Kristi nor I are easily intimidated, but for the safety of our subjects, who would still live there after our assignment was completed, we did leave.

These men, apparently the neighborhood "protectors" (not sure if they were self-appointed or not), followed us as we walked the six or so blocks back to the main road.

While I'm sure these toughs could make life miserable for farming peasants, you have to agree they don't strike too much fear. Especially with that whole bare midriff thing going on.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to rock that look when I get back stateside, so ya'll have been warned.

Posted by LD

5:58 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Nothing like floral shorts to strike fear and terror into your heart!

Rod, come up to Mongolia when you're done in Beijing. The weather is starting to cool down here and it is beautiful.

Posted by ben

5:58 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Don't knock the bare midriff thing until you've tried it. When you're stuck outside and the temperature and humidity are both around 93, it does wonders.

I currently live in Taiwan and have been known to pull up my shirt from time to time, it's like turning on the AC!

Looking forward to your Beijing work...

Posted by anonymous

10:33 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Why did the times send a photographer to China? Seems like a waste of money for a struggling newspaper.

Olympics: Lucked Out Looking for Locke.

Olympics: Thugs, Not Hugs.

Olympics: Smog and Blog.

Olympics: Planning, Packing, And Panicking.

Jul 15, 08 - 07:05 PM
Olympics: Lull Before the Storm.