Photography

Best Seat in the House

Photography, sports and life as seen through the lens of Seattle Times photographer Rod Mar.

E-mail Rod| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 10, 2008 9:00 PM

Olympics: Phelps Goes Gold Again

Posted by Rod Mar

USA's Michael Phelps just won his second gold medal as he and the rest of the 4x100 freestyle squad smashed a world record in a dramatic come-from-behind win.

I just finished transmitting on deadline from the Water Cube, and thought I'd do a quick little post of photos from the event (if these photos aren't toned very well, I moved them quickly back to the paper -- in fact, they had them 10 minutes after the race).

Jason Lezak had the swim of a lifetime as he erased a lead in the final 50 meters to seal the gold medal.

(Nikon D3, VR 400mm/f2.8 lens + 1.4 extender = 550mm, ISO 1600, 1/1000th sec.,f4.0)

Up on the pool deck, Phelps and teammate Garrett Weber-Gale celebrated wildly.

The judges in the backgrounds are always a challenge:

A group hug after Lezak exited the pool made a nice frame, but the judge kinda messes with the background again.

My first assignment before the Phelps race was to shoot local swimmer Megan Jendrick in the breast stroke.

Yesterday, I'd shot from low to the pool deck, so today I'd chosen a high position looking down the lanes. I was in a good position to see her come out of the water on each stroke. It's hard, but I try to keep in mind shooting from different angles, even if I have to choose an angle that might not be "the best."

In this case, it worked out. Jendrick finished fourth in her heat to advance to the medal finals. I liked the angle and decided it would be good for the relay since I'd shot Phelps from low yesterday.

Now, where's breakfast?

Posted by Gar

12:06 AM, Aug 11, 2008

A fantastic race, and some very memorable shots you got there! Awesome.

Posted by Steven

12:15 AM, Aug 11, 2008

Lezak was amazing coming back from half a body length down. Those are some great pictures. Thanks!

Posted by harold

12:24 AM, Aug 11, 2008

Rod, you are doing a wonderful job with this blog. I'm eternally grateful for this insider's look at your job, particularly knowing the problems you're having with internet access!

Posted by harold

12:27 AM, Aug 11, 2008

... and your photos might not be perfectly toned but yowser, that Phelps guy certainly is!

Posted by Alan

8:02 AM, Aug 11, 2008

Rod, great stuff!

Posted by Ralph

6:17 AM, Aug 12, 2008

My compliments on the photographs but what I most appreciate is the commentary on making them. The best thing of all is to watch and listen as a professional applies rigorous, perhaps harsh and exaggerated standards to his own work, staying critical, even dismissive, of images most people would be proud to show. That's a far more important lesson to teach by example than how to adjust the exposure.

Olympics: Michael Phelps Wins Gold, is Overexposed.

Olympics: Foiled Again.

Olympics: Phelps Wasn't the Only One in the Pool

Olympics: Phelps Goes Gold Again

Olympics: Dunk You Very Much

KBB: best buys for '15; analysts say 2015 sales look promising new
(Honda) KBB names best buys for 2015 Kelley Blue Book recently picked these model-year 2015 vehicles as its Best Buy Award winners: Overall winner: Fo...