Photography

Best Seat in the House

Photography, sports and life as seen through the lens of Seattle Times photographer Rod Mar.

E-mail Rod| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 9, 2008 11:36 PM

Olympics: Flagging support

Posted by Rod Mar

Many famous people showed up at the Water Cube this morning to watch Michael Phelps try to earn his first gold medal of these games.

Bill Gates was probably the richest person in the venue, but President Bush was likely the most famous, even though he had to share the "top politician at the pool" honors with his father, George H.W. Bush, and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

Former Seattle Times' sports editor Bob Silver was there as well, since his daughter Emily was part of the medal winning 400-meter freestyle relay team for the United States. I mention Bob because he once awarded me a Snickers bar for a good photo I took way back when (a Snickers bar is as good as a gold, check that, BRONZE, medal for me -- I'd still take a gold but it doesn't have that rich chocolate caramel goodness).

I digress. Can't help it. Haven't had lunch yet and I'm "weighting" for Melanie Roach to compete in the 53kg weightlifting competition.

Back to our President.

After he slipped slightly coming down the stairs (Secret Service guy caught him), he sat down and after a bit someone handed him an American flag.

He studied it for a minute before proudly displaying it for the U.S. fans on the other side of the pool.

The First Lady had to gently remind him that he was holding the flag, well, backwards.

Whoops.

Easy mistake to make.

Mr. President quickly flip-flopped, and all was right for the leader of the free world.

Posted by PM

8:28 AM, Aug 10, 2008

Very nice work! Keep it up! Love the GB sequence!

Posted by Anon

12:18 PM, Aug 10, 2008

The prez looks high....

Posted by Alex

5:26 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Great work dude, I am following your blog and I think you are one lucky person to be able to record these moments.

I bet the job is tough at times but I am sure the memories will last a life time.

Best of luck!
Alex
Vancouver, BC

Posted by Marco Togni

5:45 AM, Aug 11, 2008

Haha, so funny.

Posted by Acacia

9:56 AM, Aug 11, 2008

I'm curious as to how many seconds passed while this happened. As you can tell in the background the woman leans down, grabs a pen and hands it to the guy sitting by her - doesn't take that long. Seeing as this photographer can take pictures of diving catchings, at the buzzer shots and other key plays it is proven he can take many pictures within seconds. Again, I'm curios as to how many seconds passed while he was taking these pictures.

btw - the last photo is cute.

Posted by kray28

12:27 PM, Aug 11, 2008

I wonder if Kissinger can be arrested for his war crimes since he's out of the country?

Also the look on Bush's daughter's face is classic. She must be well aware of what a colossal dumbass of a dad she has.

Posted by gmckie

5:47 PM, Aug 11, 2008

Rod I just love your work. You're the man.

Posted by sim4nee

9:30 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Acacia, that "guy" is the prime minister of Australia Mr Kevin Rudd! Nice work Rod!

Olympics: Don't get mad, get better

Olympics: Michael Phelps wins gold, is overexposed