Food & Wine

All You Can Eat

Seattle Times food writer Nancy Leson serves up the best info and tips on Northwest food, cooking, dining and restaurants.

E-mail| RSS feeds Subscribe | KPLU Food for Thought podcast| Blog Home

August 14, 2008 4:58 PM

I'll have fennel sausage on challah -- with an espresso

Posted by Nancy Leson

One of my challah-lovin' readers emailed, asking: "What happened to Leah's on 65th? Any word? I'm wondering if it will open elsewhere?" Nope, says owner Leah Jaffee, who closed her tiny kosher bakery and deli in February, soon to reopen as Da Pino Italian Cafe & Deli:

But there's no need to sit shiva for Leah's.

Italian sausage-maker and deli owner Pino Rogano has leased only the retail adjunct of Leah's Catering:

Meanwhile, Leah continues doing business in this orthodox-Jewish stronghold where she's been catering "life cycle and social events" (read: weddings, b'nai mitzvahs, shivas) for the past 10 years. "We're busy as ever," said Leah, seen here yesterday in her catering kitchen -- where she'll soon be busy preparing for another important life cycle event: the reunion of Franklin High School's Class of '73, of which she's a proud member.

As for Pino, who shuttered his shop on Friday, he's hoping to be open on the corner of 22nd Avenue and 65th Street N.E. by the end of August. Why Ravenna? "It came at the right time," he told me today. "I lost my lease, they're tearing the building down and I found this spot and liked it. Even if it's a smaller place, it's a lot better than Garlic Gulch, let me tell you," said the Calabrian native, using the term historically linked to the Rainier Valley. These days, "the area wasn't the right one" for an Italian deli, he said. "Lunch was good, but dinnertime? No traffic." His sausages, made at Rainier Valley's Mondo Meats and sold wholesale to some of the city's best restaurants, have kept him afloat these past four years. "I deal with restaurants a lot. That's what's kept me alive."

Posted by BigGreenFrank

9:25 AM, Aug 15, 2008

Da Pino in the northend?!?!! Awesome.
That'll save me a bunch of gas.

Posted by So Seattle Girl

4:40 PM, Aug 17, 2008

I'm sorry to hear Da Pino's is leaving our neighborhood and heading north. I have heard fabulous things about this place and always wanted to try it. Unfortunately, any time we went to go there, they were closed. The owner is complaining that there was no dinner traffic, but the restaurant closed at 7:00 PM! It is (was) a neighborhood place, so not in the right location to catch the "after work" crowd. BUT, for people who do work and want to come home and unwind for a bit before heading out to dinner, a restaurant that closes that early is not a practical option.

Use your imagination for marination

Urban foraging -- a berry good pastime

I'll have fennel sausage on challah -- with an espresso

The spy who came into our kitchen

Baker gets sliced

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...