Food & Wine

All You Can Eat

Seattle Times food writer Nancy Leson serves up the best info and tips on Northwest food, cooking, dining and restaurants.

E-mail| RSS feeds Subscribe | KPLU Food for Thought podcast| Blog Home

July 29, 2008 11:15 AM

It's in the bag!

Posted by Nancy Leson

Well, Mayor Nickel's proposal to charge shoppers 20 cents for plastic or paper bags in Seattle grocery, drug and convenience stores has been approved by Seattle City Council. The per-bag charge will go into effect in January, as will a food-service ban on polystyrene clam-shells (among other take-out containers) like these:

Some of the city's restaurants and food-service operations have already gone green, using recyclable -- or even compostable -- tote-your-take-out ware, but why wait to be environmentally proactive? Yes! I can see us all now:

Posted by Greg J

2:56 PM, Jul 29, 2008

Would the Health Dept. allow personal take-out containers, which could carry contamination, into a food service establishment?

Posted by Radicchio in Seattle

11:07 PM, Jul 29, 2008

I believe the City of Seattle states that they want scooped (i.e. dirty) cat litter sealed in two plastic bags.

If that's true, I have no idea where we're going to get those bags. Right now, we re-use the plastic bags we get from Freddie's or Grocery Outlet. But if we have to start actually BUYING bags to dispose of waste for four cats, I won't be happy at all.

And no, we live in an old house, which can't withstand flushing cat-poop down the toilet.

Posted by Michael G.

8:59 AM, Jul 30, 2008

I already take tupperware for leftovers when my wife and I go out to eat. There's no reason the Health Department would stop you from doing that. I think they'd be more concerned about contamination if you were to bring it into the kitchen of the restaurant.

Posted by restaurantslave

2:08 PM, Aug 01, 2008

I work for a restaurant. 4 months ago they changed the containers we use to these new recyclable containers made from corn. What concerns me is I know we get these from the "Food Services of America". A gigantic organization who provides items for all restaurants. I am glad we are going green, but by using corn-made products we are contributing to higher food prices and more starving people world wide. This feels more yellow than green to me.

From Portage to Pig -- Just Whistle!

Thai food shout-out

Jul 31, 08 - 12:00 PM
What are you doing tonight?

Jul 31, 08 - 09:09 AM
Sending food back: a how-to

Jul 30, 08 - 12:05 AM
Marjorie is moving out -- and outward